SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Volvo S60 Audio Systems Information!

24K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  PK 
#1 ·
This information is for those of you who have been wondering what each (USA) Volvo S60 Audio System is comprised of. This includes the HU-413 base performance audio system, HU-613 high performance audio system, and HU-803 AudioMax premium sound system:

HU-413 Base Performance Audio System
Full logic AM/FM stereo cassette, 6 speakers with dual diversity antenna
Speakers
Front doors: Front doors: two 6.5" mid-range, two 1" treble
Rear doors: two 6.5" bass/mid-range

HU-613 High Performance Audio System
Single CD in-dash stereo cassette, 8 speakers, 4x25 watt amplifier, with dual diversity antenna
Speakers
Front doors: Front doors: two 6.5" mid-range, two 1" treble
Hatshelf: two 8" bass/mid-range/treble
Instrument Panel: one 4x2 with GPS Navigation System option.

HU-803 AudioMax Premium Sound System
4 CD in-dash sound system, 4x50 watt amplifier, Dolby® ProLogic, with dual diversity antenna
Speakers
Front doors: two 8" bass, two 3" mid-range, two 1" treble
Hatshelf: two 8" bass/mid-range, two 1" treble
Instrument Panel: one 6.2 coaxial center loudspeaker, or one 4x2 with GPS Navigation System option.

All of these audio systems have been developed by Volvo's audio experts in close cooperation with Alpine Electronics, Dolby Laboratories, Harman-Kardon, and Dynaudio.

-Drew

[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 01-22-2001).]

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the info. I opted for the 803-Audio Max. I'm patiently awaiting the trip to the Factory Delivery Center in Sweden to pick up my T5 15 Feb. A question I haven't asked my dealer is this: Is the car prewired for a trunk mounted CD-Changer? Can the receiver control it? And-if it is so prewired; what is a good high-end changer to get. Source? Maybe Crutchfield?

#3 ·

You can get an optional 10-disc CD changer on any of the audio systems in the S60. This will give you a total of 14 disc capacity with the AudioMax system. The HU-803 already has all the right controls for the changer to work. I am not sure if the AudioMax HU-803 is already prewired though. I do not think that any aftermarket CD changer will work for the S60, since there needs to be a software download into the cars computer (CAN) for the CD changer to work properly.

-Drew

[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 01-22-2001).]

#4 ·
I ordered a T5 with the HU-613, and factory 200 watt amplifier. I was of the understanding that this stereo was prewired for CD changer. If this is the case, why would a direct connected Alpine CD changer not be compatible.

Also, the I was of the understanding that the HU-613 that is a package option on the base S60, and the 2.4T has 8 speakers. However the rear hatshelf speakers on these are not included. If this is the case, wouldn't there actually be a total 10 speakers on a T5?

#5 ·
The standard HU-803 for the T5 has 10 + the center speaker, but the AudioMax system for the T5 has 12 + the center speaker. In Europe, you can get 12 speakers with the HU-613, excluding the center speaker. I am not sure about this in the US.

You might want to talk to your dealer about aftermarket CD changers, but I doubt that they will work. It seems like every optional electronic item on Volvo's with a CAN network need a software download for them to work. Although, Alpine does make the CD changers that Volvo uses in their cars. I could be wrong though...

-Drew

#6 ·
OK, now I'm really confused. According to the literature I got from Volvo TDS, the HU-803 "is" the AudioMax, and the HU-613 is what the T5 comes with as standard, plus two hatshelf speakers. I added an additional 200 watt factory installed amplifier, and figured this would be all the stereo I will ever need (plus maybe a disk changer). As far as I understood it, this would come with total of 10 speakers (8 speakers + 2 hatshelf speakers).
Are you pretty sure about all this?

Thanks!

#7 ·
Regarding the H-803---what Indy says in a
previous post is correct. The audiomax is
the supreme system for the T5 with an added
sticker of $1200. If you love good sound
and want to opt for the best--then get it.
If you are not sure--you should bring your favorite CD and test drive one with the 803.
You will be listening to 13 speaker pro-
logic sound (around) and its doubtful you
have listened to better car stereo ever.
You are not just paying for enhanced sound
as the 803 comes with many other cutting edge
items (sorry I can't finish this) that one will most certainly feel free to brag about.
Borrow a manual a read about these other
enhancements and compare with the less
expensive Volvo audio systems offered.
Happy Hunting!

#8 ·
PK,

You are right, this is very confusing indeed. Basically, if you get the HU-613 for the T5 you will get 8 speakers + an additional 2 for the hatshelf. If you get the "regular" HU-803, you will get 10 speakers total, but if you get the "AudioMax", you will 12 speakers total. The "HU-813" is what you get in Europe which is the "AudioMax" system. The "HU-803" is what you get in the USA with 10 speakers, but it is not the called the "AudioMax" until it gets those two additional speakers. I hope this helps!

-Drew

#9 ·
PK,

I want you to take a look at something. Volvo has a brochure about their entire audio system range at their website. Not many people know about it because it is difficult to find. Just remember, that the audio systems that are described in the brochure refer to European specs, not USA specs. You will have to interpret the information for USA specs. Remember also, since you ordered through TDS, you have more/different options than regular USA customers. I hope this helps you out!

Since it is a (PDF) file, you will need Adobe Acrobat 4.0 to read it. Click the link below:

Volvo Audio Brochure (PDF)

-Drew

#10 ·
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I find it frustrating and puzzling that in the US I can't order the 613 with in-dash CD for a base 2.4, without also getting a package that includes leather seats. I want in-dash CD, don't want leather. It appears I can order this through TDS, which I will probably do later this year, if I don't get seduced by some other car (eg. new Audi A4)

#11 ·
Drew,
Thanks for the help!

Since I added the 200 watt amp, my system will have 10 speakers and 300 watts. This should sound pretty good, right?! Since I have never been "spoiled" with the AudioMax, I'm more likely to be happy with mine (and the $1,000 savings).

#12 ·
I forgot to ask:
Is the hu-613 already pre-wired for the disc changer? If so, doesn't Alpine make a changer that you can just plug in? Is this wishful thinking? I'd rather not pay $700 or whatever Volvo dealers charge for simple disc changer.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.