SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Cure for Volvo's pitiful iPod capability (and non-existent XM radio)

53K views 83 replies 20 participants last post by  pattyweb 
#1 ·
Back in February & March of 2006, I had been exploring the potential of replacing the XC90's factory stereo system with an aftermarket stereo. The reasons were due to the failure of Volvo to offer a hardwired solution to iPod connectivity as well as no provision for any satellite (XM or Sirius) radio. I ultimately selected the Alpine IVA-W200. The next challenge was for Alpine to release the IVA-W200. Following is a summarization of the benefits of the Alpine IVA-W200:

+ Navigation system integrated with head unit.
+ iPod hardwired with full control from the head unit.
+ XM (or Sirius) satellite radio integrated with head unit.
+ Bluetooth communications integrated with head unit.
+ Head unit reads CD/DVD(audio & video)/MP3 discs.
+ Two video inputs (RSE & backup camera for example).
+ HD radio support (requires separate tuner module).
+ It even has support for an AUX-IN port - anyone for cassette players?

There are probably more benefits, but the above are what immediately occur after the first pass through the manuals that came with the system.

I have chosen to install the IVA-W200 with the Alpine Navigation (NVE-N872A), iPod, XM, Digital Suround Sound, Sub-woofer, and Bluetooth functions. The one thing that you need to keep in mind about an IVA-W200 install in the Volvo XC90 is that this is probably not something you want to tackle in an afternoon. Based on what I knew about the closed architecture of the XC90's stereo system, and knowing what I did not know about how to replace the factory stereo, I sent the XC90 to a professional installer. Following is a Cliff-Notes version of the install effort.

The first thing the installer did was try to find integration points where they could connect the IVA-W200 to the factory stereo. Guess what - there aren't any (integration points). I told them that going in, but they wanted to rule that out before going down the path of replacing the factory stereo. The next step was to remove the front seats, A-pillar trim (for routing the Bluetooth microphone), trim pieces around the D-pillar and the rear cover for the battery box. One item that emerged out of the removal of the A-pillar trim was that the left hand drain tube for the sunroof had been crushed closed from the factory - the trim piece had pressed the tube shut. Then the amplifiers (for subwoofer and surround sound) and navigation system control unit were mounted under the driver and passenger seats. The factory head unit was wrapped in foam and zip-tied out of the way. The factory CD player was removed and presently is sitting in a box. The IVA-W200 control unit (double DIN size) was mounted in the space that opened up with removal of the factory head unit and CD player. Martz makes a mounting unit for the XC90 that is presently single DIN sized, so some surgery was required to make it double DIN compatible. The one thing that could be re-cycled from the factory stereo installation was the speakers. The antennas for Navigation and XM radio were mounted on the rear part of the roof, just in front of the plastic panel at the extreme rear of the roof.

After everything was buttoned back together, the system really comes into its own. The iPod integration alone illustrates just how much of an embarassment the factory system really is (artist/title display, ability to control the iPod better than is available on the iPod itself, sound quality that is out of this world). Adding XM into the mix with full artist and title display was one further nail on the coffin of the Volvo factory system. The Alpine Navigation system is head and shoulders superior to what Volvo offers. This is really what Volvo SHOULD have offered. You can even play video DVDs (after putting the brakes on for safety) and connect a hitch-mounted video camera for a view where you are backing up.

In terms of the cost-benefit of the IVA-W200, it is competitive with a collection of dealer installed accessories (Navigation, Stereo upgrade, Bluetooth and iPod); add in the superior sound and integration and functional capabilities, and the IVA-W200 becomes a no-brainer if you are looking for a true high fidelity solution to the factory stereo system.

Net, net, the IVA-W200 is superior to what Volvo has offered or will offer in the future for the XC90.

Pictures will be following after I figure out Flicr.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Cure for Volvo's pitiful iPod capability (avolvofan)

Good deal! Waiting eagerly for the pictures. I should probably stop by during my next visit to the Half Moon Bay to take a look at the upgrade.

Do you mind listing your configuration BEFORE the upgrade i.e. did you get premium sound system, navigation (most likely not), RSE, etc.?

#3 ·
Re: Cure for Volvo's pitiful iPod capability (AccuView)

Quote, originally posted by AccuView »
Do you mind listing your configuration BEFORE the upgrade i.e. did you get premium sound system, navigation (most likely not), RSE, etc.?
Premium sound system, but no RSE or Navigation. Adding RSE into the cost-benefit model would make the outcome even more in favor of the Alpine aftermarket solution.

#4 ·

Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics. Very curious to see how it integrates with the dash.

Did you mount your antennas on the outside? I finally mounted my system (my Volneer HU-880PRS) a few weeks ago and so far so good, everything still working. I mounted my xm antenna on the rear inside ontop of the liner just beneath the forward part of that plastic roof piece and its working great from there. What did you do for an FM antenna? I've run a coax cable to the back but haven't attached anything to it yet.

Where did you put your ipod? Are you just putting it in the center console? My ipod adapter cable doesn't separate from the control box and it would have required a big hole plus I didn't want it getting all scratched up so for now it's under the passenger seat in a velcro'd little plastic bin next to the velcro'd XMDirect tuner box (that I can switch over to the other car for long trips). The two amps I was able to mount on either side of the battery. The remote sub volume is also just sitting under the passenger seat. Don't know if I really want to drill a hole in the transmission shifter trim piece for that remote volume control.

How do you like the touch screen ipod interface and access speed? I've read 50/50 split reviews that touchscreens are just not the optimal interface for music. They require too much touching over and over again. At iLounge, they reviewed the Pioneer Z-1 where they actually returned the Z-1 ipod integration box in favor of going with just an aux-in and mouting the ipod on the dash. I can turn my right knob to scroll through lists and it's pretty fast but there can be a 1-2 second delay sometimes before it redraws.

The new system really does make a huge difference though. I actually look forward to riding in the XC90 now. Especially now that I have access to so much more music and higher quality too. It's just awesome being able to play the music louder (and I don't mean absurdly loud either) and not having to listen to those front speakers kill themselves to reproduce the bass.

#5 ·
Re: Cure for Volvo's pitiful iPod capability (pattyweb)

Quote, originally posted by pattyweb »
Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics. Very curious to see how it integrates with the dash.
The Metra mounting unit integrates quite nicely. The photographs will tell all.

Did you mount your antennas on the outside? I finally mounted my system (my Volneer HU-880PRS) a few weeks ago and so far so good, everything still working. I mounted my xm antenna on the rear inside ontop of the liner just beneath the forward part of that plastic roof piece and its working great from there. What did you do for an FM antenna? I've run a coax cable to the back but haven't attached anything to it yet.
Navigation and XM antennas were mounted on the outside in the rear of the roof (just in front of the plastic trim panel at the extreme rear of the roof. The antennas need a steel base for both the magnetic mount and apparently an assist to the signal reception.

Where did you put your ipod? Are you just putting it in the center console? My ipod adapter cable doesn't separate from the control box and it would have required a big hole plus I didn't want it getting all scratched up so for now it's under the passenger seat in a velcro'd little plastic bin next to the velcro'd XMDirect tuner box (that I can switch over to the other car for long trips).
iPod is in the glovebox along with the Aux-In and supplemental Video-In. Just plug the iPod into the interface cable and everything happens from the IVA-W200 head unit. And, the iPod is charged while connected to the head unit.

The two amps I was able to mount on either side of the battery. The remote sub volume is also just sitting under the passenger seat. Don't know if I really want to drill a hole in the transmission shifter trim piece for that remote volume control.
The installer looked at the space next to the battery mounting, but for the amps that I am using and the mounting requirements for the Navigation system control unit (pretty much horizontal mounting), the space under the seats was better. Plus, there is the output from the ventilation system that is located under the front seats to cool the amps....)

How do you like the touch screen ipod interface and access speed? I've read 50/50 split reviews that touchscreens are just not the optimal interface for music. They require too much touching over and over again. At iLounge, they reviewed the Pioneer Z-1 where they actually returned the Z-1 ipod integration box in favor of going with just an aux-in and mouting the ipod on the dash. I can turn my right knob to scroll through lists and it's pretty fast but there can be a 1-2 second delay sometimes before it redraws.
Speed of response is critical to the enjoyment experience. The IVA-W200 has native support for the iPod. Earlier versions (IVA-D310 for example) used a converter box that was slow like you mentioned for the Pioneer. An additional objection that I had to the Pioneer implementation was that the iPod was not recognized as an addressable device (no display of artist/title info). The IVA-W200 has immediate response: touch the iPod "button" on the touch screen and you are presented with a display of the Volumes (artists) on the iPod. Touch a Volume and you are presented with the Recordings (CDs) for the artist. Also, you can speed scroll (to get to the end of the list) by pressing and dragging (like you would with a mouse on a computer). The response is instantaneous - no waiting, just press and drag. The same speed scroll ability applies to the XM tuner: if you want to go to channel 150 from channel 1, you press and drag. It really is everything that Volvo SHOULD have provided with the factory system. Shame on Volvo!

The new system really does make a huge difference though. I actually look forward to riding in the XC90 now. Especially now that I have access to so much more music and higher quality too. It's just awesome being able to play the music louder (and I don't mean absurdly loud either) and not having to listen to those front speakers kill themselves to reproduce the bass.
Amen to that. I had purchased a Pioneer XM2Go box to tide me over until the Alpine IVA-W200 arrived, and it was pure torture - besides the problematic FM transmission interference, there was the problems with interference with the XM signal, and, and, and. Now, I prefer the XC90 to the S60R. In fact, the S60R may up for sale....

#6 ·

Hey, if you're up for it, we'd love to publish an FAQ of what you did. Obviously, we know the installer did much of it, but part numbers, a plug for the installer, any photos of the process that you have, etc. As a fellow XC90 owner with limited audio options, I'd love to run it on the site.

#8 ·

Quote, originally posted by avolvofan »
I am game for a FAQ. What do you need me to do? Do you want to IM me? Or, do I e-mail you at george@swedespeed.com? Or?

Let's start with the pictures you promised first!

#9 ·

Let's start with the pictures you promised first!
Well, if swedespeed.com is going to host them (in the FAQ that George is proposing), I don't need to put them on a third party hosting environment.

#10 ·

Quote, originally posted by avolvofan »
Well, if swedespeed.com is going to host them (in the FAQ that George is proposing), I don't need to put them on a third party hosting environment.

Oh come on...stop teasing us!
We all know it's going to take a few days for the FAQ to be ready. The writeup can wait till the FAQ but a few pictures of the final product now would be nice. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#11 ·

Tim

#12 ·
Re: Cure for Volvo's pitiful iPod capability (t6tim)

Well, here is a test:

If this is successful, then I will start uploading other photos. Well, this was marginally successful. If you click on the URL, you can see the photo. If anyone knows how to have the photo display in the the message body (instead of in a separate window), I would appreciate the feedback. I tried using the

#13 ·

How about this?

The URL was obtained by right-clicking on the picture and selecting "view image". The URL is then shown right on the browser. This works with Mozilla. Don't know anything about IE (I don't use it).

HTH

#14 ·
Re: Cure for Volvo's pitiful iPod capability (ig_mb)

Well, examining your reply (through the quote facility) shows the URL inserted between
switches (as in
). However, when I attempted that in my first post of the pic, the image was represented by a red x, which usually means that the link to the image was broken. This post has the same results (red x - broken link).

I think I will wait for the FAQ and let swedespeed.com sort out the image hosting issues.

#15 ·

Instead of:
[ i m g ] h t t p://www.flickr.com/photos/acarfan/171622756 [ / i m g ]

Try:

[ i m g ] h t t p://static.flickr.com/61/171622756_6d7b438078.jpg?v=0 [ / i m g ]

(spaces added to prevent interpretation of the keywords and URL)

Basically, I used the URL to the jpeg file instead of the URL to the flickr webpage containing the jpeg file

#16 ·
Re: Cure for Volvo's pitiful iPod capability (ig_mb)

ig_mb, you might be onto something there (with the jpg's properties). I think I will try one more test photo. Lets see if this one displays:

Fingers crossed, I am about to click the Submit Post button below and to the left....

#17 ·

Well, we may have reached critical mass (with figuring out how to link digital pictures directly to posts). A big THANK YOU to ig_mb! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Stay tuned for more photos. The first one (of the left rear wiring area) illustrates the initial attempt to determine whether there were any integration points to connect the Alpine units to the factory system.

The second photo is the work in progress for mounting the park assist speaker for the rear park assist. The benefit of putting a dedicated (as opposed to a shared) park assist speaker in the right rear quarter panel area is that you get the perception of the rear parking assist really being at the rear of the car (as opposed to the second row door). The park assist speaker was mounted on an anchor point (no drilling was done) and the trim piece was returned to its original mounting with no evidence that anything was done (except when the rear park assist kicks in).

#18 ·

One more photo:

This one is of the mounting location for the Navigation System control unit. It certainly looks like the location was custom-tailored for the control unit... probably because it was designed for the Volvo OEM Navigation System control unit....

#20 ·

Some more pics:

The first one in this series is the display screen of the head unit about to be wrapped in foam and zip-tied out of the way. Guess where?
(Definitely someplace where the sun doesn't shine....
) Also, the keypads can be disconnected from the head unit display and everything will still work. (Volvo, you missed an opportunity to make things maddeningly proprietary... tsk, tsk, tsk....)

The amplifier in the front part of the picture is the one that came courtesy of Volvo. Right now, all it does is drive the two auxilliary speakers that are supporting the park assist (front & rear) functions.

This is the finished shot of the IVA-W200 installed in the console. There is a slight difference in the color of the IVA-W200 mounting console and the color of the climate control console, but it is negligible. For those who are obsessed with perfect matching of color, there is always the option of paint to match.

Next set of photos I will post will show some of the IVA-W200 control features. The more I drive the XC90, the more I enjoy the stereo system. I now refer to life B.A. (Before Alpine) and A.A. (After Alpine). Just my opinion, but it really is the state-of-the art right now.

#21 ·

Looking good! I'm very interested in the final details of this conversion. I have an '05 T6 and a '92 Acura Legend LS sedan. I've been upgrading the sedan (currently at 199,304 miles) and have installed an IVA-W200 and Type R Alpine speakers. The system is GREAT ... XM, Bluetooth, MP3-CD changer, Ipod direct connection, and DVD-Audio! It would be really fantastic to transplant such a system into our XC90. Keep the details coming! Oh, and thanks for the pioneering effort!

--Gerry

#22 ·

Some more photos. The lighting is not the best; I may try different lighting options, so these are probably a work in progress.

First photo is the entry point (Main Menu?) for the IVA-W200s user interface. All installed options are represented as a "button" on the menu. The currently active option (iPod in this photo) is orange; the rest are grey.

Next photo is an illustration of how the iPod can be controlled from the IVA-W200. After touching the iPod search function button, you are presented with the Search screen (shown in the photo).

You can then search the iPod by Playlist, Artist, Album or Song. The next photo shows the Artist search function.

The really NEAT feature of the IVA-W200 (apart from being able to natively address the iPod) is the speed scroll function. You can see the "button" for the speed scroll function as a red button on the lower left part of the photo (right under the D in Dire Straits in the photo). To scroll the entire listing on the iPod is as simple as touching the button and dragging from left to right. The same function is available for the XM radio function - if you want to scroll from channel 1 to 150, it is as simple as touching and dragging.

Last photo is the drive (CD/DVD (audio & video)/MP3) of the IVA-W200 - it hides away behind the screen (just like on the BMW X-5).

That is it for the moment. I will get the parts list next. If there is any information that I have not presented, please ask. I am really happy with the IVA-W200. If I were to rate it from 1 to 5, I would score it 5+. It has totally met my expectations. When the speed scroll capability was demonstrated to me, all I could do was laugh - it was the icing on the cake.

#23 ·
Re: Cure for Volvo's pitiful iPod capability (Volvoxford)

Quote, originally posted by Volvoxford »
Looking good! I'm very interested in the final details of this conversion. I have an '05 T6 and a '92 Acura Legend LS sedan. I've been upgrading the sedan (currently at 199,304 miles) and have installed an IVA-W200 and Type R Alpine speakers. The system is GREAT ... XM, Bluetooth, MP3-CD changer, Ipod direct connection, and DVD-Audio! It would be really fantastic to transplant such a system into our XC90. Keep the details coming! Oh, and thanks for the pioneering effort!
You can also play DVD video with the IVA-W200 after "setting" the brakes (press and hold the brake pedal while engaging the parking brake, releasing the praking brake, and one more time engaging the parking brake). I haven't seen the function of the Volvo navigation system, but the sales reps at the dealer have said that the Alpine's navigation system implementation is superior (easier to use, larger Points Of Interest database, etc.) to Volvos.

My objective in posting about the IVA-W200 is to share information that I have been able to develop about an alternative to the really pathetic In Car Entertainment (ICE) offering from Volvo. If other members have pursued other approaches, I would hope they would similarly share their results with the swedespeed.com community.

#24 ·

Can you have multiple sources active at the same time? For example, ipod playing while navigation is active. My guess would be yes but I thought I would ask just to be sure.

#25 ·

Can you have multiple sources active at the same time? For example, ipod playing while navigation is active. My guess would be yes but I thought I would ask just to be sure.
You can have iPod (or other audio source) active while running Navigation. But I believe it has to be the Alpine NVE-N872A (as opposed to the PMD-B100; the PMD-B100 operates through the Aux-In function of the IVA-W200, if memory serves). You could even be playing a DVD video and have navigation active. However, DVD video can not be active when the brake function has been released, so, the benefit of DVD video being active along with Navigation is not there. (Although I could contemplate a scenario where one would be watching a video DVD and the question comes up - where do we get a Domino's Pizza, and the Navigation System's POI data base gets searched.) The one thing that can not be active at the same time is two audio sources (iPod + XM radio for example).

#26 ·

Nice! Now I have a backup option should something happen to my current install.

Curious. Why is the head unit sticking out? Was there a mounting depth issue?

While I don't care for FM anymore (in fact, I wish I could remove tuner from the source options), I would like to improve it some for local traffic. What did your installers do for an antenna?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.