Cure for Volvo's pitiful iPod capability (and non-existent XM radio) - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: (pattyweb)

very helpful diagram. Are the extra speakers connected to RR/LR for the cargo area speakers or is there a pair of speakers in each rear door like on the front doors?

Patty thankyou for the diagram. Using Molex connections to keep it OEM is a great idea.Where did you order your molex plugs? You also order the tool? Thanks

Re: (midospike)

I had ordered parts and connectors from Mousers. You can request a free catalog from them. It's very big. I already have various crimp tools. I think I got some of the ones on their online page 1151 (Molex Mini-Fit Jr). Radio Shack sells some but I don't like them. Big, bulky, loose fitting, etc.

I just cut the volvo speaker wire cables and then added my own male/female connectors inline. Then I tested the factory system still worked.

06 XC90 V8
      98 V70 T5M

Re: (avolvofan)

avolvofan: I installed the AVIC-Z1 in my XC90 today, and I am getting all kinds of interference through the speakers. this happens when the car is running or not (even worse when it is running). Did this happen when CC installed your unit? How did they attenuate the noise? I have totally isolated the original radio equipment from the aftermarket system. I have chased every lead, isolated every ground, nothing works. I will try a noise suppressor in-line at the battery lead.

Re: (aubieron)

aubieron - Did you get that interference worked out? How did the install go? Any tips for me? I'm going to attempt an install in a few days.

pattyweb - Did you get a molex connector that plugs directly into the wiring harness connected to the factory amp? I'd like to make a connector that plugs/plays without cutting any factory wiring.

Thanks in advance.

Re: (carlog)

Quote, originally posted by carlog »
      Did you get a molex connector that plugs directly into the wiring harness connected to the factory amp? I'd like to make a connector that plugs/plays without cutting any factory wiring.

I could not find factory connectors. Even if I had, then I would of needed to reconnect all the other wires in the connector. If you really want factory connectors, I guess you could research the motorola bluetooth module. I read that it comes with a harness that plugs into the factory amp and then the factory plug plugs into the harness.

Instead I just bought some basic 10 pin mini molex connectors from http://www.mouser.com/. I then cut the 10 gray speaker wires and reconnected them to my connectors. I then made sure all the factory stuff still worked. The new speaker wires from my new amp end with a connector and I just swapped the plug from the OEM amp to my amp.

06 XC90 V8
      98 V70 T5M

Re: (pattyweb)

Thanks for the quick reply.

Did you have a center channel speaker? How did you connect/wire it?

I saw the bluetooth harness from Volvo, and it is about $70-80 + shipping. That's pretty crazy for a wiring harness, but I believe it is designed to switch between one audio source (bluetooth phone) and another (factory CD/radio), so maybe there are some built in relays that come with it.

I'm surprised (sort of) that the connector is not something you can readily match somewhere.

I did some looking around behind the factory radio today. I see that there are 2 fiber optic cables that connect to the display module, and 2 fiber optic cables that connect to the CD changer. I've heard that I will need to leave the display module connected in the car to keep the climate control features working, but what about the connectors to the CD changer? I'm also worried about tripping the airbag light if I do not reconned anything fiber optic.

Thanks for any info.

did anyone get the steering wheel controls to work with an aftermarket stereo?

I am on the verge of replacing my factory unit with a double din and would love to be able to control the stereo through the existing controls.

Still haven't tried it yet. The declining value of the US dollar has made those units very expensive! I think it's up to $300+ now.

Re: Cure for Volvo's pitiful iPod capability (avolvofan)

I know that this thread's been dormant for over a year now, but I've just now stumbled upon it, even though I've been planning and researching the topic for over a year now. With the help of this and other threads, I now have a good idea as to what it's going to take!

But one thing I've never seen mentioned are the OEM headphone jacks. I assume these are attached to the network via fiber as well? And if I replace the factory radio, will I just have to do without the headphone jacks?

Thanks!

2004 XC90 2.5T, 155K miles

software update?

Did anyone have to have a software update when making the transition from factory to aftermarket stereo
      system. I had an aftermarket stereo installed and half of my electronics went out in the car. Did a little
      research and found out Volvo should do a software update to tell the cars computer to stop looking for the
      factory stereo. If not the computer gets an error message when it does not locate the factory stereo and
      then the computer starts causing other electronic problems. I called several Volvo dealerships and talked
      to the service departments and some of them were even unaware of this problem and the software update
      to correct it. Any thoughts about wether I should do the update or not?

Quote Originally Posted by joelq View Post
      But one thing I've never seen mentioned are the OEM headphone jacks. I assume these are attached to the network via fiber as well? And if I replace the factory radio, will I just have to do without the headphone jacks?

Thanks!

We have an aftermarket unit in our XC90 and the rear headphone jacks still work.
      06 XC90 V8
      98 V70 T5M

Quote Originally Posted by SgtO View Post
      Did anyone have to have a software update when making the transition from factory to aftermarket stereo
      system.
      I didn't

Quote Originally Posted by SgtO View Post
      I had an aftermarket stereo installed and half of my electronics went out in the car. Did a little
      research and found out Volvo should do a software update to tell the cars computer to stop looking for the
      factory stereo. If not the computer gets an error message when it does not locate the factory stereo and
      then the computer starts causing other electronic problems. I called several Volvo dealerships and talked
      to the service departments and some of them were even unaware of this problem and the software update
      to correct it. Any thoughts about wether I should do the update or not?
      Sounds like you completely removed the OEM stereo and/or left the fiber cables for the OEM cd changer dangling. You can't do that. The display of the OEM radio needs to stay plugged into the car. You can disassemble the OEM radio, unplug the two side button clusters, remove and bypass the OEM cd changer (but make sure to connect the two fiber optic cables together with some kind of splice, I think I remember I just shoved both ends into wire bullet connector). In the end, you're left with just a small little box that contains the OEM display. I just wrapped mine in foam and tucked it down underneath everything.

For other tips, here's my afternarket thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?61169
      06 XC90 V8
      98 V70 T5M

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123