Alex Peper's OBDII scanner and SRS codes
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Alex Peper's OBDII scanner and SRS codes

I recently purchased Alex Peper's OBDII scanner system and was able to use it to read Powertrain trouble codes. However, the main reason that I bought the system was to read Volvo's Body and Chassis codes. The SRS light on the dash is on, but I can't get the scanner to read any codes to tell me where the problem is.

Have any of you that actually have Alex's system been able to successfully read SRS codes, or any other Body and Chassis codes for that matter?

Seems more discussion and know-how about this on the brickboard. Good luck with your search.

Re: Alex Peper's OBDII scanner and SRS codes (rothe)

OBDII scanners can't read non-engine codes on the Volvo. In fact, they can only read so-called generic codes from the ECU.

The ones you want are called DTCs, and they are read only by Volvo gear. BSR sells a proprietary scanner called the PPC Diagnostic, which is the only other device I know that can do this.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva CBV, Elevate rear swaybar, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Tom, for Jim to post about the Alex Pepper after he's bought one, let me assure you that he knows all of what you said. The Alex Pepper software is truly amazing and can read much much more of our car's internal communication than most realize. It can even reset the SRI and SRS lights on pre P2 Volvos.

Re: Alex Peper's OBDII scanner and SRS codes (tmtalpey)

Like M.I.J. said, I am well aware of the fact that *most* OBDII scanners can't read the body and chassis codes from my car or most others. Alex Peper's has quite a reputation for its capabilities, though, and Alex claims to be able to read these codes from 95-99 Volvos. For more info, see http://www.obd-2.com.

Ok, the pre-2000 cars do have different electronics and perhaps the OBD-II interface will work for more codes. Has he offered an opinion why the software doesn't work then? I'd be very interested in whether it's possible.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva CBV, Elevate rear swaybar, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

He replied to me, but only told me how to follow the steps that I had already been following.

He certainly seems to be willing to support his product, but it would seem that his writing and communications skills are not everything that a tech-support customer would hope for. Perhaps English is not his primary language. Either that, or he was a computer science major!

I'll keep working with him. He wouldn't have claimed to have this feature if he hadn't tested it and had it working before, and there are quite a few Volvo owners who have purchased his system, so I'm sure that this problem can be overcome eventually. I'll keep you posted.

Can you point to where he claims to have the feature, for the Volvo? I don't see it, except for a statement that it knows the codes. That's not quite the same thing.

Tom.

2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

I don't see how you can interpret that statement any other way. Search Alex's main web page (http://www.obd-2.com) for the term "volvo" and it's the first thing that shows up.

If that's not enough for you, you can get a look at the screen capture that I sent to Alex to explain my problem:

http://www.jimrothe.com/volvo_diags.jpg

The left half of that screen shows the standard OBDII DTC screen, including the codes from when I had my ABS controller out of the car last week for repair. (Thanks Victor!) That also provides evidence that Alex's system is actually communicating with my car.

The right half of my screen capture shows one of about a dozen body and chassis "servers" that Alex's system can tap into. Note that I've selected 95-99 Volvo in the top right of that panel, and that I'm trying to retrieve "Supplemental Restraint System" codes according to the top left of that panel. Regardless of the feature's apparent support, I'm getting an error that says "sub-function not supported or invalid format."

In Alex's most recent message to me, he stated that he had tested this function on a '97 S70, and it worked fine.

After spending a great deal of time trying to diagnose this problem with Alex, we finally agreed that it was best that I return the system for a refund. He's going to try to resolve this problem, but admitted that it might be a while before he gets his hands on a 99 S70 to test it out.

For what it's worth, I just saw that the Vol-FCR system can't read '99 SRS codes either. See http://www.hickleyvaltone.com/...s.pdf

So I'll continue to use my Equus 3100 handheld scanner for powertrain and emissions codes, but I'm off to the dealer for this problem.

hi guys, for your case, OBD ELM327 pairs but won't connect may because of your wrong operation, so i suggest you ask the OBD ELM327 technicial support for the solution. if you dont have a technicial support, you can ask technicial support at this obd2 store, they will always give you the best answer. url is : http://www.kobd2.jp/wholesale/wifi-e...ipod-1638.html, it should be suit for your Volvo , hope my answer help you.