1981 Volvo Bertone Convertible
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

1981 Volvo Bertone Convertible

YES this really is a convertible! I am located in Lebanon, NJ. Asking price is $15,800 or best offer Sadly I do not have any background information on this car, I bought it at an estate. The car is in excellent condition in and out. The car is gold with tan leather interior, dark chocolate automatic convertible top and 4 speed manual transmission. If you have any questions feel free to email me at jklim@patmedia.net or call 908-735-5813 and ask for Jim

Re: 1981 Volvo Bertone Convertible (jklim)

not a sought after vehicle? any bites? mick

It's an interesting special interest car but the price is quite high. You might do well in an auction, though.

That is AWESOME
      Annoying other members since 4.12.06

Isn't the car a 262C?? I believe the convertible was rare! What's the miles on this puppy??? If still available, you should try ebay!!

thats pimpin

i saw a silver 242 convertible in the city i live in (alameda, california), it had 20 inch lexani rims...
      now that's, cool.

I think the car was made for Björn Ahlström, president of Volvo North Americka at the time.It is a 262 6 cyl. the last pictuer has the wheels from the the 260 aniversity model
      KB

Hello
      Do you have this car for sale now? Please let me know. Urban Jonsson nilsby.akeri@telia.com

Thread died 6 years ago... chances are it's long gone.

I put a collector/buyer from Belgum together with this seller. The car was badly rusted but has now had a complete restoration and is in his extensive Bertone collection. Guy Vermont is his name.
      Last edited by 96PlatEdition; 01-05-2013 at 12:00 PM.
      it is easier to sleep in a car than drive a house
      2006 Jaguar S-type 4.2 - 1990 Dakota factory convertible - 2005 Crossfire SRT 6 Roadster
      x's -76 265, 89 765 Turbo, 96 855 Platinum Edition, 98 V70R, 04 V70R 6MT
      80 Bertone Coupe, 87 Bertone 780, 91 Bertone Coupe Signatured Turbo plus

Do you have any other information of this car or some other Volvo 262C Bertone Convertible, I think there was a Black one.

Do you have some other information about this car.

Yes I think there was a black one and possibly one other.
      Here is a write up on another of the present owner's rare Volvo convertibles with contact information.
      Good luck.
      http://www.volvoadventures.com/122Counespec.html
      2006 Jaguar S-type 4.2 - 1990 Dakota factory convertible - 2005 Crossfire SRT 6 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by 96PlatEdition View Post
      Yes I think there was a black one and possibly one other.
      Here is a write up on another of the present owner's rare Volvo convertibles with contact information.
      Good luck.
      http://www.volvoadventures.com/122Counespec.html
      Wrong convt.
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 60K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 122K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. In concours condition with low miles.

Solaire Conversion

I believe this 262C convertible is a conversion done by a long-gone company named Solaire, which also performed convertible conversions on first-generation Honda Preludes of the same era. This was a speculative project that came out of the Product Engineering & Development Department at VCNA in Rockleigh, NJ, where I worked for many years.

Yes, Bjorn Ahlstrom drove one for awhile as one of his company test cars. That car was originally black with a black interior. I don't remember whether that one was a stick or an automatic, but I do recall that the structural integrity of the conversion left something to be desired. The outside rearview mirrors vibrated so badly at any speed above about 15-MPH that they were essentially useless.

Interesting concept, though!

If the seller of the car misrepresented it to me and the present owner was incorrect in the information he gathered by his investigation then I guess I am incorrect.

While only a middleman in this sale, I did invest quite a bit of time researching it at the time in that I was considering buying it myself. I referred Guy to the seller of the car as a favor to compensate for not having held my 1980 Coupe for him.

I will however bow to your greater in-depth familiarity. I was just trying to help out a party interested in the car.

Also, the link is not incorrect it is for contact information as stated. Guy owns a number of interesting Volvos including the one in the link, the gold 200 series Bertone, a 700 series convertible (I believe) and quite a few others.
      Last edited by 96PlatEdition; 01-06-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Hello
      What a interesting thing to be connected with someone who news B.A. As you understand I´m really interested in Volvo cars, and have Volvo museum in sweden, google at Urban Jonsson, Kil
      Have you someting more to tell about this Convertibles. As I understand there was built five at the Solaire co in St Ana. Have you any ideas where the black 262 C convertible could be now.
      Has B.A the car by himself or Do you think the car been sold.
      Please contact me if you have some information´!!
      Urban Jonsson

Hello, I understand that you can a lot about volvo cars and especially about theese convertibles. Has´nt Björn Ahlstöm a black convertibl?? Do you know anything about that car??
      Best Regard Urban Jonsson

Hello, Still I´m seaching for the history of these convertibles, especially the black one´s. Thow you had worked at Volvo you must know someone that could tell me something about this
      speculative projekt. I´m very intrested in unusual Volvo cars, and these cars are really mysterious. Please let me know if there are some more information that you have.
      Urban Jonsson

So what would a realistically fair price be for one of these in need of restoration? I know of another Gold convertible that's being stored...

Coupe

Hi Urban I can share some history on the car here because I was there.

Little doubt as a convertible, the car was prob. tied to VCNA HQ is some manner such as a test car.

I don't believe this was the B.A. convertible car as this seems to be a 1981 240/260 model. His convertible car was a 780 Bertone which wasn't avail unto 1986 I believe.

Remember BA retired in 1994 [?] so as CEO trust me he wouldn't be driving a car NOT, the current model year. Certainly not a 6 or 7 Y-E car. We worked in the same building, everyone knew his reserved parking spot, and there was one 1 convertible coupe he drove for a short time, a 780.

History of the 1986 Coupe: The Swedes didn't like him driving this thing; the 'P.R.' of a CEO of a safety image car Co. killing himself in a convertible, was a news story they didn't want to risk. So they strongly 'recommended' he get out of the car.

So in less than proper english they meant get rid of the car but actually said "hide"' the car. So we did.

What we did was hide the car for 3-4 years in a warehouse next building over. Facilities guys built a ramp. My guys on request of his secretary, on some Fridays, would connect the battery, drive it down the ramp. He would come over, swap cars, and off he would go for the weekend. Monday mornings we reverse the process. We kept it silent for Yrs.

On retirement the Pres of Volvo Canada asked BA's wife what he really would like for a retirement gift. She thought of the car [which was still under wraps] . They did a book value transfer of funds, and bought the car as a gift. [for a steal believe me]

At a retirement ceremony it was driven around [to the surprise of the Gothenburg brass] and given as a gift. But it was clearly a 780 Bertone, black exterior/interior as someone correctly noted earlier.

So I believe the below 1981 model was pre BA Coupe [he loved that car] and in some early version of experimenting with customization. I recall 1 or 2 Volvo Limo's too.

Regards

swanks coupe

Hello
      An interesting history, but i´m not shure it was a 780, I still think it was a 262 C that
      was build to a convertible. I would like to get in touch with you, can you please
      send me a mail to nilsby.akeri@telia.com
      Best Regards Urban

Quote Originally Posted by Swanks View Post
      Hi Urban I can share some history on the car here because I was there.

Little doubt as a convertible, the car was prob. tied to VCNA HQ is some manner such as a test car.

I don't believe this was the B.A. convertible car as this seems to be a 1981 240/260 model. His convertible car was a 780 Bertone which wasn't avail unto 1986 I believe.

Remember BA retired in 1994 [?] so as CEO trust me he wouldn't be driving a car NOT, the current model year. Certainly not a 6 or 7 Y-E car. We worked in the same building, everyone knew his reserved parking spot, and there was one 1 convertible coupe he drove for a short time, a 780.

History of the 1986 Coupe: The Swedes didn't like him driving this thing; the 'P.R.' of a CEO of a safety image car Co. killing himself in a convertible, was a news story they didn't want to risk. So they strongly 'recommended' he get out of the car.

So in less than proper english they meant get rid of the car but actually said "hide"' the car. So we did.

What we did was hide the car for 3-4 years in a warehouse next building over. Facilities guys built a ramp. My guys on request of his secretary, on some Fridays, would connect the battery, drive it down the ramp. He would come over, swap cars, and off he would go for the weekend. Monday mornings we reverse the process. We kept it silent for Yrs.

On retirement the Pres of Volvo Canada asked BA's wife what he really would like for a retirement gift. She thought of the car [which was still under wraps] . They did a book value transfer of funds, and bought the car as a gift. [for a steal believe me]

At a retirement ceremony it was driven around [to the surprise of the Gothenburg brass] and given as a gift. But it was clearly a 780 Bertone, black exterior/interior as someone correctly noted earlier.

So I believe the below 1981 model was pre BA Coupe [he loved that car] and in some early version of experimenting with customization. I recall 1 or 2 Volvo Limo's too.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by vancouver83ltd View Post
      So what would a realistically fair price be for one of these in need of restoration? I know of another Gold convertible that's being stored...

I wasn't joking. Can anyone tell me about this car?

Hey.

I come across this thread by chance and found some useful information here.

I am the owner of one of the five 1981 Vovlo 262c bertone cab's that were built at the Solarie factory.

I have in addition one 1956 Volvo PV444, 1980 volvo 262c bertone, 1976 volvo 262GL, 1956 Volvo L370 Truck and some other vintage cars that are not volvo.

I have long worked with getting a 1956 Volvo P1900, which I now hopefully are closer to getting than before.

I would like to get in touch with the other owners of 1981 Vovlo 262c bertone Solarie convertible or people who have information about these cars.

I'm located in Norway and can be contacted at rsmartin@online.no

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo 262C Solarie CAB View Post
      Hey.

I come across this thread by chance and found some useful information here.

I am the owner of one of the five 1981 Vovlo 262c bertone cab's that were built at the Solarie factory.

I have in addition one 1956 Volvo PV444, 1980 volvo 262c bertone, 1976 volvo 262GL, 1956 Volvo L370 Truck and some other vintage cars that are not volvo.

I have long worked with getting a 1956 Volvo P1900, which I now hopefully are closer to getting than before.

I would like to get in touch with the other owners of 1981 Vovlo 262c bertone Solarie convertible or people who have information about these cars.

I'm located in Norway and can be contacted at rsmartin@online.no
      I put a collector/buyer from Belgum together with this seller. The car has now had a complete restoration and is in his extensive Bertone collection. Guy Vermont is his name.

Guy bought my 1983 flathood homolagated 242 turbo automatic blue metallic w/black leather. He has a quite a few volvo's Was a Volvo dealer in Beligium I thought. Sold it in 1997-98 between kid #1 and #2

I drove it to the Baltimore port for him.

...m

That was about the time we were in discussions concerning my 1980 Coupe, a near perfect low mileage southern car whose previous female owners kept it garaged day and night. Before things got finalized I sold it locally and always felt bad about it.

It took me months to hunt down that convertible from an old of date ad I had come across. I provided the information to Guy by way of an apology for the failed Coupe deal.