"reduced engine performance" warning light?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

this is a new one to me, and doing a search turned up nothing...

I've had the CEL on for a few days and have the car scheduled to go in for service, but when I started the car last night I got a "reduced engine performance" warning and the car would not generate enough power to even get out of the driveway...

car is just over 24k, and isn't due for service for a few hundred more miles. oil is fine.

Anybody have this issue?

Re: "reduced engine performance" warning light? (surfer_bill)

I remember reading about this a few times. I did a search on "Reduced Engine Performance" and and came up with the following:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=36982
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=39636
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=55692

Sounds like it could be anything from plugs to the turbo to the ECU...take your pick. I think I've heard people refer to this as "limp" mode. Sorry, dude...that totally blows.

Re: "reduced engine performance" warning light? (vlv4life)

interesting. monday morning, waiting to call the dealer. not stoked to try and drive 30 miles into town with barely enough power to move. hopefully they will send a truck to pick it up.

so it ended up being a dirty throttle control module, which is why I had no power when stepping on the accelerator. Dealer got me my car back just in time for an offsite meeting in Southern VT, which was awesome since I ended up having to drive 6.5 hours back in the Valentines blizzard. AWD and studded winter tires are the best thing that ever happened to winter driving.

was yours making a hissing sound i have the same indicator "reduced engine performance" when i push the gas i get a hissing sound.

your alternator is about to go, if you are still under warranty rush to the dealer...
      Volvo S40 2.4i / Premium Audio / Triple 10" MTX Sub enclosure / Eibach Pro Kit w/ Koni Yellows / IPD Rear Anti-Sway Bar / Akebono brake pads / K&N Drop in Filter.

Re: "reduced engine performance" warning light? (bashoo)

Wow, I have literally never cleaned a throttle on a S40. They dont have the same PCV issues that the other chassis has due to the outlet for the breather box going into the manifold rather than the intake pipe.

Which makes me wonder how the hell it got dirty

Turbo isnt leaking interally is it? Do you have oil in any of your intercooler pipes?

TheRetrofitSource | 2020 Motorsports | RTernie | H&R Springs | Import Meet | Girodisc

Current: E46M (daily) | S40 T5 (grocery getter)
      Past: NA1 NSX | Acura TL | LS-T DC4

Re: "reduced engine performance" warning light? (ForceFed Motorsports)

If he did, he would have about 3 years worth by now. lol.
      Model : 2010 Volvo S40 T5 AWD MT R-Design
      Exterior : Sapphire Black Metallic
      Interior : R-Design Two-Tone Leather
      Wheels : Serapis 17x7 w/Stock Michelins
      Mods : Bone Stock (So Far)

Quote, originally posted by surfer_bill »
      this is a new one to me, and doing a search turned up nothing...

I've had the CEL on for a few days and have the car scheduled to go in for service, but when I started the car last night I got a "reduced engine performance" warning and the car would not generate enough power to even get out of the driveway...

car is just over 24k, and isn't due for service for a few hundred more miles. oil is fine.

Anybody have this issue?

Yes, it went forever after I upgraded stock software to the newest version.

If it comes again after that go to the Volvo service to check specific error codes because there are tenths of possible reasons for that. Take it seriously, that warning is not a joke..

C70 T5 2008, K16 RS turbo, 384 HP (340 WHP), ATM400 Autotech tune

If only I could get a dealer to read the codes only. Had the warning 4 to 5 times while driving the Vegas but on the BSR tune and could not get one yet after I removed the tune (for upcoming 52.5k servicing). Dealer always said there was no codes, even though I believed I once got the warning without the BSR tune and took it to the dealer immediately.
      Used Dension GW500 for sale, free test and installation in Los Angeles area. S40 T5 sold.

Bad thread to revive, this light just came on, with that yellow "i" box symbol.
      Previously it said "Time For Regular Maintenance" for the past few days. Then this happened.

No CEL's. Don't have the tools to read codes. And out of warranty. Car is 89500+ miles.
      Oil change is scheduled for 91,473 mi. (I think I may do this myself, earlier. And other stuff.)
      2007 S40 T5, HEICO Springs|Bilstein B8 SP|PF Race TQ Mount|ACDELCO Adj. Camber Arms | C30 Sport LCAs | IPD HD Endlinks

Try resetting your ecu. If it comes back then bring it in. If not then you're fine

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.
      2008 Passion Red C30 6 Speed M/T
      V1 with Preferred, Climate Package and Dynaudio.
      Added: R Design Spoiler+Steering Wheel+Knob, K&N Air Filter Replacement, EuroSport Tuning Strut Bar, Borla CBE, Vibratechnics Rear Engine Mount, Forge Recirculation Valve, IPD Skidplate, KW V3