SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Front door speaker replacement?

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ramv 
#1 ·
I just purchased an 01 S60 2.4t and the right front speaker (bottom of the door) sounds pretty bad. I would like to replace it and I was wondering if it should be replaced with a stock speaker? Also, how difficult would it be to replace? Does the speaker cover come off or do you have to take off the door panel?

I was hoping to avoid taking it to a dealer if this is fairly easy.

Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
Re: Front door speaker replacement? (ncS60)

meh...if you don't have an amp, aftermarkets will be underpowered. As for the actual process, the whole door panel has to come off. You can do that by pushing in the center of these little plastic rivets on the perimeter of the door. Just pull em out after you push in the center. Take off the door and the harness etc. Here's the kicker. The speakers are actually riveted in so you would have to drill em out. Its a real pain in the ass especially if you're going to replace with oem. Chances are that it'll just blow again. But if you're not adding amps or a new headunit or something, i don't feel that aftermarkets are worth it in terms of sound quality.

-Jason

#3 ·
That was exactly what I needed to know. I think I will let the dealer do the repair. I am not wanting to add an amp, just repair the blown speaker in the door. Hopefully this won't be an expensive repair.

Thanks!

#4 ·
Re: (ncS60)

Quote, originally posted by ncS60 »
That was exactly what I needed to know. I think I will let the dealer do the repair. I am not wanting to add an amp, just repair the blown speaker in the door. Hopefully this won't be an expensive repair. Thanks!

I replaced my stock speakers with the Dynaudio component upgrades and they sound great. Granted, I got the speakers for a screamin' deal since the website I ordered them from had them priced wrong (gotta love the currency mis-calcs!). Anyhoo, the dealer installed them for about $100, and it was well worth it! BTW, I just have the stock head unit (HU-650) and it still sounds good with only 100W...

#6 ·
Re: (fsrenduro)

I gotta agree that upgrading speakers is the best thing one can do if you want sound quality. Amps give quantity only. Unless the definition of good sound is thumping bass that can be heard two towns over. Good speakers often have low impedance minimum at low frequencies so they draw more current from the amp and can cause clipping at fairly low power levels, but that should not be a problem with the small fronts that have little bass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.