Pumping gas while tanker is filling the station tank - run away or OK?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Pumping gas while tanker is filling the station tank - run away or OK?

Twice now, I have pulled into the GetGo gas station where I fill up only to see the tanker truck filling the station's tank. Both times, I have turned around and left without gas, for fear of filling my tank with sediment stirred up when the tanker adds gas to the station reservoir. The problem is that it is not always convenient to get to this station, and I do often save $10-20 per fillup there since we don't drive much and do a lot of grocery shopping (GetGo gives $0.20 discount per $50 spent at GiantEagle, and it is cumulative. Extreme example: I filled up paying $0.19/gal the other day ).

Many have said in the recent gas threads that you want a station that has a lot of traffic and therefore fresh fuel. Great, but what about the sediment stirred up when they fill the tanks? Is that a concern? If so, how long after they fill the reservoir would you wait before pumping gas there?

I do not want to start yet another discussion about cheap gas vs good gas - I want to know whether there is a danger in filling up while the tanker is refilling the station, and if so, how long to wait.

Thanks,
      Albert

Re: Pumping gas while tanker is filling the station tank - run away or OK? (adalcanto)

I'm not the most knowledgeable about this sort of stuff, but I've never ever heard of this being a problem...seems what little sediment if any is probably taken care of by filters.

At the gas station I'm way more afraid of a fire caused by one of the many dip****s around here who don't turn off the engine when they gas up...

Re: Pumping gas while tanker is filling the station tank - run away or OK? (kenschel)

I won't get gas while a tanker is filling a tank. Might be superstition, but not worth the risk for me. I only use Chevron (even though I know where it comes from, I think it is the best gas for my car). oclv

Re: Pumping gas while tanker is filling the station tank - run away or OK? (oclv)

Theoretically it should be safe, but I would honestly avoid it. And I have a good source.

I wouldn't. Years and years of dirt get distubed and I don't think the filters are that good to get all of it out. Yes our cars do have good filters, but why add that ****e into our tanks!

Re: (KVB-R)

How long do you guys think it takes for the sediments to settle again? Busy gas stations get a tanker visit pretty often. Also, wouldn't the uptake be at the bottom of the tank, where the gunk is always. There's plenty of filtering between the gas station tank and the car's injectors.

Modified by Mika at 8:59 PM 3-4-2007

Re: (Mika)

Sounds like a good episode for the Myth Busters.

I think its urban legend, heard the warning when I was younger and have always had it in the back of my head.

Been a couple of times that I've filled up with a tanker there and never had a problem.

Lets pull it apart:

The gas is filtered at the refinery.

It's filtered going into the tanker.

It's filtered coming into your car (In NY, many of the pumps have filers that are visible)

Your car has a fuel filter.

That's a lot of filtering...

Re: (Shomare)

Quote, originally posted by Shomare »
      Sounds like a good episode for the Myth Busters.

I think its urban legend, heard the warning when I was younger and have always had it in the back of my head.

Been a couple of times that I've filled up with a tanker there and never had a problem.

Lets pull it apart:

The gas is filtered at the refinery.

It's filtered going into the tanker.

It's filtered coming into your car (In NY, many of the pumps have filers that are visible)

Your car has a fuel filter.

That's a lot of filtering...

As I said, theoretically it should be fine. There is quite a bit of filtering. However, there is always some sediment in the bottom of the tank. It should settle out pretty quickly though.

Also, don't forget about the water in there, and believe me there is water in there, that's got to get time to separate as well.

Bottom line, there's not much risk of filling up while the tanker is there. Once the tanker has left, it will settle out very quickly. Between the filters on the dispensers and the filter in your car, you should be fine.

But believe me when I say, the stuff I talk about is not urban legend.

Re: Pumping gas while tanker is filling the station tank - run away or OK? (adalcanto)

I wouldn't worry, as others have said there is plenty of filtering going on, also most stations now are required to have spun fiberglass tanks, where the old tanks were made of steel and thus rusted leaving, rust residue. Older tanks also didn't allow a standard connection from tanker to tank allowing residue to enter there as well.

As for water in the bottom of the tank, then I would be worried about going to a station where I didn't know how much fuel was left in the bottom, its very possible you could get a load of water if the tank is almost empty even though a tank truck isn't there.

Stations should post the level of fuel in each grades tank and its water content. Some of the newest stations recirculate the fuel and remove water and residue at all times.

Re: Pumping gas while tanker is filling the station tank - run away or OK? (V50T5OSD)

Over here it's against the law to pump gas while the tanker truck is filling up the tanks. No idea why.