SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Homelink for my 04' R

11K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  zeedragon 
#1 ·
My garage door has a "rolling code" (whatever that means) in it. Basically, I've followed the directions I've found on here through the oh so helpful "search" option on here
and I've found out that you need to program your homelink with the garage door guy as it will take more than 1 person to do so. I'll let you guys know how it went, and try and clear all the confusion about homelink up. My goal is to change (Homelink=
into Homelink=
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
)

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Homelink for my 04' R (Crazyfingers711)

You don't need the garage guy. If your opener has a learning function (it probably does if it has a rolling code), you can do it yourself. Just move quickly. Trust me, I'm nowhere near a rocket scientist and have done it several times (we change our codes periodically).

#5 ·
Re: Homelink for my 04' R (Crazyfingers711)

I did it first try with both my parents garage doors (makes it easier when I visit them, and I don't have a garage so I thought it'd be cool to utilize this feature). It can be done by yourself. When you hit the "learn" button on the garage door unit itself, you have a bout 30-45 seconds to go back to the car and hit the homelink button.

#7 ·
You don't need a garage guy.

1.) Erase codes in Homelink by pressing 1st and 3rd button at the same time for 40s or so. The light on Homelink should blink when done.
2.) Place your remote next the homelink. Press the Homelink button along with remote simultaneously until the Homelink light blinks rapidly. The code is learned into the Homelink.
3.) Park car inside your garage. It works best when you are close to the overhead unit. Press the learn button on the garage door opening unit. You may need a ladder.
4.) Press the desired Homelink button 2-3 times. If programmed, garage door opener will respond to Homelink.

#9 ·
Here's a hint: use a long-handled instrument (e.g., a broom or something.) After you find the learning button if you use a pole you will have plenty of time to do this by yourself.

Mine worked flawlessly for awhile but my problem now is that I can't program both doors in both Volvos. In my wifes XC90 we have both doors working. In my R if I go to program the second door it makes it stop working on the XC. I've given up since I don't usually park on that side of the garage anyway.

#10 ·
Re: (rollie)

Quote, originally posted by rollie »
Here's a hint: use a long-handled instrument (e.g., a broom or something.) After you find the learning button if you use a pole you will have plenty of time to do this by yourself.
Does that sort of look like Nixon's secretary when she "erased" the Watergate tapes?
(You all have to be at least 55 to remember that picture)

#13 ·
Re: (rollie)

Quote, originally posted by rollie »
Mine worked flawlessly for awhile but my problem now is that I can't program both doors in both Volvos. In my wifes XC90 we have both doors working. In my R if I go to program the second door it makes it stop working on the XC. I've given up since I don't usually park on that side of the garage anyway.

You need to clear ALL the transmitters from the opener first. We found that many openers only allow a certain number of transmitters to be programed. When we added 1 too many it would delete 1 of the previously programed transmitters. That sounds like what may be happening with yours.

#14 ·
Re: (cmy4x4)

That could be it. We have the two sets in the Volvos, at least 2-3 hand helds tucked away somewhere, and an external pad. I think after the Mrs. returns later today I'll erase both cars' settings and start over.

Thanks.

#15 ·
I did this on my garage doors both in my volvo and my moms jeep with a rolling code. If your fast enough you can easily do it with 1 person. Its not difficult. Just follow directions in the manual.

#16 ·
Hmm.. after all these months, I'm going to have to try again now. Good thread.

#17 ·
I'm set up on two garage doors. It worked first time for me. Both have rolling codes. I just followed the instructions in the manual. Took like five minutes total. Hardest part was reaching up to the "learning" button on the motors.

#18 ·
FYI, For my new garage door opener, I had to get a module from homelink for free plus shipping, that would allow my homelink to work with my garage door opener.

#19 ·
No prob here setting up mine with a rolling code door....did both the GF's Acura & my R with little trouble. Just follow the manual

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.