1981 Volvo 240 carb change to SU HIF 6the carb on my 81 volvo to an su hif6 from a
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

1981 Volvo 240 carb change to SU HIF 6the carb on my 81 volvo to an su hif6 from a

Hi,
      i just changed my carb from a zenith 175cd to an SU hif6.
      I need some help with getting the vacuum hoses correct for the advance/retard and pcv system.

Any help or links wouid be appreciatted.

This SU has a small outlet just before the throttle plate and a larger out on the carb flange.

If you need any more info please ask.

Thx, A

Global Moderator

Re: 1981 Volvo 240 carb change to SU HIF 6the carb on my 81 volvo to an su hif6 from a (andybot)

The small outlet is for vacuum-controlled engine timing and the large is intake for crankcase ventilation.

Did the Zenith have any electrical connections?

George Dill

Re: 1981 Volvo 240 carb change to SU HIF 6the carb on my 81 volvo to an su hif6 from a (gdill2)

Thx George,
      no electrical connections on the zenith carb.

Do you know if the crankcase ventilation tube is suppossed to come from a connection on the flame guard, or is there another position?

Im still lost on where the timing retrad line is suppossed to go.

Thx Again George.
      A

ps.

one last question. There is an idle bypass adjustment on the intake manifold where the carb attatches. When tunning this carb is there a nominal postion for this as it doesnt mention it in the tuneup procedure im using.

Thx

Global Moderator

Re: 1981 Volvo 240 carb change to SU HIF 6the carb on my 81 volvo to an su hif6 from a (andybot)

Here are some SU carb PCV options...

http://www.volvop1800club.se/a...8.jpg

http://www.volvop1800club.se/a...5.jpg

These are for B18/20 engines but show different approaches to positive crankcase ventilation.

Does your car have a flame trap collection box? Does the distributor have vacuum connections?

The choke bypass setting depends on the type of choke set-up on the carb.

Might play on this for more SU HIF6 stuff...

http://www.volvoadventures.com/index.html

Any pics of your set-up?

George Dill

Global Moderator

Re: 1981 Volvo 240 carb change to SU HIF 6the carb on my 81 volvo to an su hif6 from a (gdill2)

Thx G,.
      worked out what i needed to know with the help of your links.

Any info on replacing a windshield on this same car?

Tha Again

Global Moderator

Windshield replacement is a two-person job as the sealant must be applied just so and the glass pressed into place in perfect alignment. Also, it is a real chore to reuse the trim around the glass.

George Dill