OFFICIAL: Weird or popping noises from front right suspension thread - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Wierd popping noise fix (marcvip99)

Picked up the car this afternoon. According to the receipt, it's bulletin 21-18. They installed 8 SEMS screws and 5 plastic washers ("Add washers and updted bolts to subframe"). In a shocking development, the problem still exists. I was able to recreate it exiting the highway about 5 minutes after picking it up. Anytime there is a load on the front end and the wheel is turned, you hear it. This can be under braking or with a lot of people/stuff in the car. I am not surprised.

They also told me the power seats are fine (I've had the software update), despite the fact that they still randomly move and have a mind of their own.

They were nice enough to give me an '08 XC70 loaner, though I must say, I was really less than impressed with the 3.2. It's only rated at 15/22 mpg and the power is really lacking when compared to nearly all other European and Japanese engines. It's not exactly smooth either.

Oh well, I decided a while ago that this was my first and last Volvo. Too bad, great design on the XC90, but poor execution has me walking to other brands.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Wierd popping noise fix (highseas)

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear the pr blem is still there.

Volvo just dropped a new tech note (61-10) relating to XC90 front ends.
      Its for knocking sounds coming from the front suspension that can occur when braking or turning at low speeds.
      The fix is relacing the nut and bolt holding the control arm to the subframe.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Wierd popping noise fix (highseas)

Took mine in for the 30K service today. The dealer service dept. told me bulletin 21-18 applied to 2003 models only and has been corrected for later models. I just learned about bulletin 61-10 from the posting above and will have dealer check that as well. I'll follow up with any results.

Re: Wierd popping noise fix (atornquist)

Volvo Service ordered the parts for the 61-10 bulletin on Friday after I told them about it. No mention about needing to "replicate the problem". I'll follow up again once completed...

I just had the control arm bolts replaced per TNN 61-10 (NOISE FROM BOLTS). The dealer gave me a free loaner (job completed after 3.5 hours). Hopefully this addressed the root cause. I'll follow up in about 3K miles (currently 30431 miles) and let you all know.

Quote, originally posted by atornquist »
      I just had the control arm bolts replaced per TNN 61-10 (NOISE FROM BOLTS). The dealer gave me a free loaner (job completed after 3.5 hours). Hopefully this addressed the root cause. I'll follow up in about 3K miles (currently 30431 miles) and let you all know.

Where I can find more information about the TNN 61-10?

TIA,
      Sergio

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5L AWD
      2001 Volvo S40 2.0L - sold

Re: Wierd popping noise fix (sliberman)

I only found about about it in this forum, but your dealer should have all the specifics. They told me they replaced the bolts for better/tighter fit.

If the last six numbers of your VIN fall between 190424 and 428200 it may apply to your XC90.

Quote, originally posted by atornquist »

I now have about 34K miles and the problem seems to have been resolved with TNN 61-10 (no more popping noises).

About to check mine in (2 weeks wait at dealer) to see about same noise....

Any one else in Australia have simmilar issue?

My moms 03 XC90 T6 has had a new front axle and it still didnt help with the snapping, cracking and moaning

Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (reinnie)

popping noises from 2 places either from brake pads sliding in calipers and pads need to be taken out and regreased or add coil bushing (rubber inserts to the front coils) should take care of problem.

Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (PMA5195)

Mine still does it.

Now, I am confident the front end is not going to just fall off (I wasn't so sure back then) so I just live with it... you know, turn up the radio!

It's a "feature."

Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (Emission)

Quote, originally posted by Emission »
      Mine still does it.

Now, I am confident the front end is not going to just fall off (I wasn't so sure back then) so I just live with it... you know, turn up the radio!

It's a "feature."

So your's is still making the noise after the new TNN?

Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (Rangeball)

Yes, we've done the recall fix, replaced suspension parts, and several other adjustments... still makes noises when the suspension is articulated (wheels turned) at low speeds. Nothing is loose (I can push, pull, and yank on the wheels without movement). I still think it may be the sway bar bushings. Dunno.

- Mike

Thanks. I was going to have the sevice department look at my wifes xc90 today but if this is not the fix then I was going to leave it alone. I have complained about this problem several times now and nothing gets resolved. I am just starting to accept it as a "feature" of the car.

I was having this noise for months that went ka-thunk when backing up and turning and stopping at very slow speeds. Then on Friday, it started doing the "washing machine shuffle." CV Joint is welded to the axle so the whole kit needs to be replaced. @$600. I did the recall, too but now am at 90,000+ miles.

Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (bookgirl08)

I had an old Audi 5000 that would go through CV joints. You would feel a "clunk" in the steering wheel (and the offending boot would be ripped on the driveshaft).

I never considered it a CV problem on the XC90. The boots are perfect. I will have to listen more carefully!

The same popping sound I have on my Xc90 2006 and service
      all ready change a lot of things on suspension but noise is still "there"

XC90 2.5T VOR AWD 06.06.2006 last 2.5T 259.500 km
      260 HP 410 Nm Tuned Chip + Software

Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (Hong Kong)

With just 134 days left on our lease (but who's counting?), my wife and I have decided just to live with the noise.

In my observation, it sounds a lot like a sway bar that is hanging up on poorly designed bushings. While very irritating, it doesn't seem to affect the way the vehicle drives.

- Mike

On our XC90 we had the infamous "Suspension Clunk" for almost two years (driving the high commander insane) - noted at every service - got the can't replicate every time. So I had the car in for it's almost out of warranty 72000 km major service - and got cant replicate from the dealer again. Heard the problem leaving the lot and had to get a price on a new set of front brakes anyway, at an independent Volvo shop. They inspected the swaybars' endlinks and found they were badly worn - took the car back to the dealership told them here is the TNN for the swaybar endlinks / bushings- here is the inspection report - fix it - no need to replicate - no discussion - no cost.

Seems to be working OK for now.

Problem is - Fjord just uses a road test to detect the noise - whereas a mechanic does a physical inspection to note the wear ( apparently they get their heaviest mechanic to hang of the swaybars to check the amount of articulation at the endlinks / bushings )- since the clunking problem is intermittent and to a certain extent ambient temp related so it doesn't occur everytime- but is merely the symptom of a more serious issue.

Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (Joerg)

Thanks for the update...has anyone else confirmed this fix?

Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (marcvip99)

my 05 XC90 V8 had the springy noise since the day I drove it home- after three tries with the dealer I decided to live with it. Mentioned it at the 37.5k service interval a few months ago and their tech spent most of the day road testing, pulling and hanging on suspension parts. Ended up replacing both front links (76210-0.5) and I haven't heard the springy popping noise since. I think what most peole are hearing is either the noise the link &/or bushing replace addresses or it's a rub or stress on the calipers or the tire/wheel combo.

Re: (brickauto)

"From my past experience, dealer will say, "can't duplicate problem" therefore they can't fix it until they experience it."

This true typically during the warranty period, it seems magically that once warranty expires, they find all kinds of problems.

Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (reinnie)

Well I am one of the many that has the same noise. I would describe it as a clapping noise that only seems to be there when accelerating. Being that it only occurs during acceleration I stongly believe that it has to be a rubber gromet or bushing. It seems that the rubber compound that Volvo is using for engine/transmission & suspension mounts/bushings are very soft and wear quickly. I am going under the car this weekend to try and locate the source of the problem.

A word of advice--as a prior auto mechanic, never go to the dealer, try to find a reliable mechanic. Dealers try to make up for lack of auto sales be charging crazy repair fees.

Our '07 has made the same noise throughout the last two years. Since quite a few have mentioned swaybar end links as the possible culprit, I will remove both and test drive it the next time I do an oil change.

Andreas

2007 Volvo XC90
      2014 Audi A4 Quattro
      2001 Toyota 4Runner
      1995 Porsche 993

+1.
      Rattling and clicking when making slow sharper turns, especially on a down slope. The dealer replaced right and left bolt & nut, and it got better, but did not totally go away. Also, springly "dung" on speedbumps, especially when just starting to drive in the morning.

Same here....

06' XC90 2.5

Same deal here, seems to be at low or med speeds, wheels turned. ...any small articulation in the wheels will do it. If find it happens equally on both sides in the front. Interestingly, I do find it happens more when I first start off, as opposed to having been on the road for 30 min or so.

I get the same noises as others have reported. Took it to the dealer and, of course, could not reproduce the issue. I am going to bring it back again, in hopes of repro'ing it. My hopes are low.

My warranty runs out soon, and given how things work out, I am sure as soon as it runs out, they'll be able to find the issue and offer a simple fix for a small fee....haha, yeah right.

Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (BillP_XTC90_MD)

My noise got worse after install of swaybars from IPD. Had them check it out. Bolts on control arm loose. Sway bars and end links fine (had new end links installed also). Noise gone. Looks like TNN 61-10 is my problem. VIN number in range of earlier post on this issue for that fix. Will be going to dealer soon.

Thanks.

Our 2008 XC90 is exhibiting the same noises with wheels articulated at low speeds when turned both ways.
      Goes in to the dealer on Monday.

Update: Noise was coming from rear bushing front lower control arm. Replaced bolt/nut set both sides per TNN 61-10. No noise so far.

Modified by mvray at 7:30 PM 8-4-2009

2008 XC90 V8 OSD
      2000 Toyota Tundra

My XC is making these noises too; I hardly notice it as I always have the radio on. I turned it off this morning and it the noises were pretty pronounced over rough pavement. 19k, will be taking it in soon.

I love the car and am considering purchasing it post-lease but if they can't fix this then it's going back to the bank next year.

2007 XC90 Sport -- Electric Silver

2015 Chevrolet SS

Re: (nat_tex)

Had mine into the dealer Friday. I mentioned TNN 61-10 and told them my VIN was in the range. They checked out the car and replaced the rear bolts on the front control arm . The noise on mine was sublte, as when I had the IPD sway bars put on in July they tightened all the control arm bolts so it went away for a few thousand miles. But then it started coming back. So far so good on new bolts. will check out and report back.

Question though. The dealer was calling this fix as being according to Tech Journal 17498/17499. Anyone know how the Tech Journal compares to TNN as listed earlier in this post?

Just would like to know they fixed/changed all the bolts recommended by 61-10.

Thanks.

Re: (aintsheswede)

My wife and I just purchased a 2010 XC90 AWD this past July. She just discovered the popping noise at low speed during turns coming from the front end. It sounds to me like this problem has never been fixed. We're only at 3500 miles. What's the problem? What's the solution?

Had the same clunking noise. The diagnosis on mine were broken spring seats on both sides in the front. THis is after 2 previous times at the dealer in the past 6 months without them finding anything.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast