OFFICIAL: Weird or popping noises from front right suspension thread - Page 5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
      my 08's front suspension started making popping noises when moving at low speed with steering wheel turned after I changed the front control arms (worn out bushings). The problem was fixed after I ordered new bolts/nuts (the single bolt that installs vertically at rear of control arm) and torqued them to the spec. I'm not sure if I hadn't torqued them enough the first time or what, but the service bulletin referenced in this thread says to use new bolts/nuts (they bolt was apparently redesigned to be slightly wider) so I did and it worked. I decided to also replace the sway bar links as they probably are getting worn with 90k miles and they are cheap and easy to replace. Thanks to all the contributors to this thread.
      Last edited by schumicat; 10-05-2015 at 12:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Got the sway links replaced. Sound gone during turning and over bumps, but under initial acceleration (from standstill), the sound is still a slight groan. Replacing the strut mounts and bushings soon.
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

Simply replacing the bushings did the trick for bumps and washboard! Has worked down to -31 Fahrenheit so far!
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My XC90 is only 18 months old and I've had noises from the front from about 6 months. It's also been to the dealers but they couldn't find anything wrong. Hey, maybe it's a feature! Anyway, I'm booking it in again because it's getting more noticeable. Creaking/cracking/springy noises usually during low speed maneuvering such as slowing to take a tight turn.

Sound familiar?
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive (Polestar)

Just to add, I'm reading quite a bit about worn parts and high mileages but should this really be happening on a car that is less than 2 years old and only has 16k on the clock?

I just did the same "repairs" as Hong Kong described earlier in this thread and am very pleased with the results. All clunking and creaking is gone, and the steering feels noticeably more direct. This is on my 2007 V8 with 122k miles.

I did the following:

• ipd subframe bushing inserts (got them all in without trimming, but the front two were tricky)
      • New Volvo white teflon inserts under the subframe bushings (the car already had some--not sure if they were original or installed later, but they were in poor condition)
      • Volvo o-rings above the rear subframe bushings
      • New subframe bolts
      • ipd engine stabilizer poly bushing kit (not listed for V8 XC90s, but it fits perfectly: http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5034/...ly-bushing-kit)

Together with an oil and filter change, this took me about 3 hours start to finish. I did it with the front wheels on ramps. The driver's side front subframe bolt alone took about 20 minutes to extract due to corrosion, but at least it didn't break. You definitely want to have new bolts on hand for this job.

I did notice that the steering wheel is now very slightly off center, so I will get a fresh alignment. Presumably--despite the bushing guides--the subframe did not go back up at precising the same angle (you have to lower it quite a bit to install the driver's side o-ring).
      2007 XC90 V8
      2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon LJ 6-speed
      1993 Dodge Viper RT/10
      Past favorites: 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16, 1967 Volvo 1800S, 2002 Subaru WRX, 2002 BMW 525iT manual, 1998 Volvo V70 T5M

Turns out mine's normal for an XC90 and nothing to worry about. So I'm not worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by caliwagon View Post
      I just did the same "repairs" as Hong Kong described earlier in this thread and am very pleased with the results. All clunking and creaking is gone, and the steering feels noticeably more direct. This is on my 2007 V8 with 122k miles.

I did the following:

• ipd subframe bushing inserts (got them all in without trimming, but the front two were tricky)
      • New Volvo white teflon inserts under the subframe bushings (the car already had some--not sure if they were original or installed later, but they were in poor condition)
      • Volvo o-rings above the rear subframe bushings
      • New subframe bolts
      • ipd engine stabilizer poly bushing kit (not listed for V8 XC90s, but it fits perfectly: http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5034/...ly-bushing-kit)

Together with an oil and filter change, this took me about 3 hours start to finish. I did it with the front wheels on ramps. The driver's side front subframe bolt alone took about 20 minutes to extract due to corrosion, but at least it didn't break. You definitely want to have new bolts on hand for this job.

I did notice that the steering wheel is now very slightly off center, so I will get a fresh alignment. Presumably--despite the bushing guides--the subframe did not go back up at precising the same angle (you have to lower it quite a bit to install the driver's side o-ring).

Im glad to read this. Yes its helps a lot. Have a nice quiet ride.
      XC90 2.5T VOR AWD 06.06.2006 last 2.5T 259.500 km
      260 HP 410 Nm Tuned Chip + Software

I just started getting a similar issue, and found my culprit tonight. It turned out to be a loose bushing in my newly installed Meyle HD control arms. The front bushing is actually shifting in the control arm socket, as in the whole metal casing that contains the bushing is moving. I don't know if they are supposed to be tack welded in place and it broke, or what the case is for sure. Might be worth checking for others. In my case, the first clue was that the sleeve had shifted to well off from center. Closer inspection showed it was scored from moving around, and video I took with my phone shows that it moves very slightly when you steer back and forth.

Ok my mechanic didnt placed new bolts and now I hear a slightly sound come back. As soon spring come I will change
      all 4 bolts, washers and place glue on bolts. Bear in mind that my front right one looking from front of car snap and
      they need to drill it out 2 hours hard job. There is on top swimming pool for water accumulating and over the years
      rust make problem. Now Im placing also a lot of oil and grease from top on this hole. Under the air engine filter is...
      you can spot it easily.
      XC90 2.5T VOR AWD 06.06.2006 last 2.5T 259.500 km
      260 HP 410 Nm Tuned Chip + Software

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5