Rear brake pad installation - issues retracting caliper piston?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Rear brake pad installation - issues retracting caliper piston?

I'm replacing my brake pads this weekend and ran into an issue on the rears. I can't get the caliper piston to retract far enough. Has anyone had any issues doing this, and were you using the Volvo tools (9995782 and 9997091)?

I am able to rotate the piston, and applying pressure it retracts several mm, I need about 4mm more to clear the new pads. I don't think the Volvo tools are required to do this, but OTOH I'm not succeeding. Yes, I've verified that the handbrake actuator is fully rotated. Any clues from someone who has done it? Thanks!

BTW, the fronts were no problem. All around the pads were worn somewhat less than I expected. Uniformly front and rear and side to side they were around half. Not too bad for 27K miles.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva CBV, Elevate rear swaybar, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Re: Rear brake pad installation - issues retracting caliper piston? (tmtalpey)

Tom,
      Good luck with that. I wish I knew the answer.

I'm having the brake pads and rotors replaced by the dealer (with aftermarket pads and rotors I bought and had sent from the states). I'd try it myself were I home in Texas with my "real" tools.

Here in Germany I'll just have to pay the gringo tax...

Re: Rear brake pad installation - issues retracting caliper piston? (Weedly)

Actually, to replace the pads you hardly need any tools, just the lug wrench and a 7mm allen key, plus a screwdriver for prying off the antirattle springs. The rotors don't need much more, you only need to remove the caliper brackets.

Of course, for the rears, you need some special trick the exact nature of which is as yet TBD!

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva CBV, Elevate rear swaybar, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

Have you hit it with the C-clamp? That's what I've always used to compress the piston.

And if you figure out how to get it compressed, maybe I'll just replace the rotors and pads myself. I've done every car or light truck I've owned in the past decade myself...

Most of the time I buy a service manual for the cars and trucks I own, because I tend to keep them at least five years, so the $75 or more price is usually worth it.

Quote, originally posted by tmtalpey »
      Actually, to replace the pads you hardly need any tools, just the lug wrench and a 7mm allen key, plus a screwdriver for prying off the antirattle springs. The rotors don't need much more, you only need to remove the caliper brackets.

Of course, for the rears, you need some special trick the exact nature of which is as yet TBD!

Tom.

Somebody mentioned that this tool is extremely helpful for getting the piston back in on the rears. I was going to pick up a set today and change out the pads on all corners, but father's day plans took priority.

With the fronts, do I slide the caliper out to remove the pads like this?

Or do the pads slide out of the caliper like this?

Modified by MarvynDT at 10:59 AM 6-18-2007

Re: Rear brake pad installation - issues retracting caliper piston? (MarvynDT)

Your second picture isn't showing, but I think I know what it's picturing.

[edit - the second picture is nothing like either brake. In fact, that picture looks like my old Volvo 122S Girlings! That's a blast from the past.)

For my AWD V50 with Ate calipers front and rear, the front brake has the pads clipped to the caliper. The rear puts the pads on the bracket (like your first picture - that's not an S40/V50 of course).

Still looking for an answer to my question. Do I need the spanner press tool or is there a way to retract the rear piston without one? A simple clamp bottoms out about 4mm shy of what's needed, so far. Do I need to crack the bleed screw perhaps? Didn't try that (yet).

Tom.

Modified by tmtalpey at 8:58 AM 6-18-2007

Modified by tmtalpey at 1:37 PM 6-18-2007

2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

Banner Advertiser George @ ViVA's Avatar
      Tom,

Did you loosen the brake fliud reservoir cap (under the hood) before attempting to slidethe pistons back?

Re: (George @ ViVA)

Is the Emergency brake off?

When I did the rear, I was able to fit the pad in with just spin and press. But I was using Hawk HPS pads. It could also be that you have the bigger brakes due to you having AWD 6 speed. Good luck.
      2005 S40 T5 BSR Stage 3

Re: Rear brake pad installation - issues retracting caliper piston? (volvoNB)

I just did a visual check on the front brakes. (After Tom said they'd slide out like the 2nd pic, I started wondering if I had the wrong HPS pads as mine have retaining clips) If Tom's pads slide out like in the 2nd picture posted, then I'm guessing he has the smaller 305mm size. Because I have the 320mm and the pads will come out like the 1st picture posted. Regardless of the front brakes, the rears only have one size at 280mm.

I've read various posts on difficulty getting the rear piston in this forum. Tom, when you crack the bleeder valve, you might be able to get a clear tube on it and point it up to allow the fluid to escape and not let any air in. Could save you time from having to bleed the brakes, making it a quicker job.

Also, I've been told that it's an old wives' tale that taking off the cap on the resevoir is like taking off the cap on a tire valve stem. It does nothing to relieve pressure. Is this true/false?

Quote, originally posted by George @ ViVA »
      Did you loosen the brake fliud reservoir cap (under the hood) before attempting to slidethe pistons back?

Yes, absolutely. And, I had no trouble retracting the front pistons.

Quote, originally posted by Phaeton »
      Is the Emergency brake off?

Yes, and I also slacked off the adjusting nut so the cable was under zero tension. The actuating lever on the caliper is fully rotated onto its stop.

Quote, originally posted by MarvynDT »
      I just did a visual check on the front brakes. ... Because I have the 320mm and the pads will come out like the 1st picture posted.

Tom, when you crack the bleeder valve, you might be able to get a clear tube on it and point it up to allow the fluid to escape and not let any air in. Could save you time from having to bleed the brakes, making it a quicker job.

First off, the second picture is nothing like my brakes. This morning it wasn't displaying at all (I got a "don't link to our images" display), so ignore that comment. I do have the larger brakes btw, mine being a T5 AWD 6MT.

Second, my front pads are not exactly like the first picture, and I bet yours aren't either. The front pads have clips which hold them to the caliper, one on the piston and one on the caliper itself. The picture above shows them on the caliper bracket, in fact this is how the rears work in my car.

I think the handbrake adjuster is hung up at least a little on mine. The brake works fine, but something funny is going on. I don't think it's hydraulic either. I'm going to take another look.

Tom.

2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

You probably tried this, but just in case:
      when I replaced my rear brake pads I used a long nose plier to push and rotate the piston in the same time.
      You need to push just enough to keep the 2 tips of the plier in the 2 small hemispherical depressions on the face of the piston, so when you rotate the plier it doesn't sleep off and the piston rotates. So after you turn about 20 times, the piston should be all the way in.