ATF: Dexron IIE or Dexron IID ?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

ATF: Dexron IIE or Dexron IID ?

My Volvo manual says Dexron IIE or Ford Mercon is needed for the transmission.

I need some 16 liters for entire wash-up, right? But the thing is that I discovered Dexron IID here which is almost twice as cheep as Dexron IIE. Dexron IIE is $18 per liter, whereas, Dexron IID is $7.50.

The brand is Mobil. The only difference between two as I found out from internet is that Dexron IIE is durable in extreme cold climates where temperature goes below - 15 C/F and is made entirely synthetic (an that's why Volvo Manual which is standard for world recommends it), whereas Dexron IID is made on mineral base and can work in climates where -15 C/F is not usual. It is a good deal for manufacturers, given the mild climate in such markets, since it takes much cheaper to make Dexron IID and therefore they sell them in these countries. It is again ATF 220 by Mobil with Dexron IID standard.

I do not want to use cheaper Dexron III which is avilable locally (brands Elf, LiquiMoly) because they are also on mineral base and I am worried because Dexron III almost did not exist when the transmission was made. I worry that they might not work so well my transmission. My car is 1996 850 2.5 GLE DOHC and has 125,000 kms on it.

Please advise if Dexron IID (Mobil) would be fine for my transmission.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Use Mobil-1 Synthetic ATF and be done with it...a bit more expensive but your car will love you for it.

Re: (MadeInJapan)

Thank you MIJ,

You mean to stick to IIE and not III, right? Or do you think I should also avoid IID? My question is if I used IID (mineral), would it be harmful for the transmission? Because another quality of IID is that it has a care for old cars and takes into account wear because of its mineral nature, whereas synthetic IIE does not. Or does it?

I don't know the answer to your question there, but I did switch to Mobile Synthetic at around 100K and flushed again at 130K and have had no issue at all...in fact, the car seem to shift easier and smoother.

Re: (MadeInJapan)

I've heard good things about M1 full synthetic as well as Mobil 3309.

Re: ATF: Dexron IIE or Dexron IID ? (Diplomat)

Use Dexron VI. It's a better fluid than M1.

No need to use a Dex II fluid (one can hardly find it here in the US). It would be like running an SE motor oil when SM is available.

Do NOT use 3309 here. Completely different fluid spec.

Right....3309 is for 5 speed automatic A-W transmissions in later model Volvo's.

Re: ATF: Dexron IIE or Dexron IID ? (sgmlaw)

This is probably the difference between the III World countries and the developped ones We have no Dexron VI avialable here and we buy Dexron IIE or IID for the price of Dexron VI.

Re: ATF: Dexron IIE or Dexron IID ? (Diplomat)

Between IID and E, go with the E.