SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Want to do Mods (Black Flagged)

12K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  05_V70R 
#1 ·
I moved this over here to avoided clouding another thread. You can share your void warranty experience too... to give others an idea what may happen.

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Why did your car get flagged?
They usually don't do that unless you had a MAJOR problem due to the mods or in the area of the mods.
Your area rep can't be THAT big of an ahole is he or you really pissed someone off!

It was flagged because of the squeaking noise of the Evolve springs. Power Volvo called the rep over since VCNA is the next exit down the FWY from the dealer. The rep came in to look at the car... said all these after market springs squeak... wrote down the VIN number, numbers in the door jam and wa-la... Flagged on all suspension parts... including all 4C items and sensors. It's just that fast.

I actually pre-paid for the labor hours to have the shock broke down and looked at, because the squeaking was bad... really bad. It was a real surprise that the dealer called the rep over and then black flagged.

The rep in the area is an a$$. I got word about the rep soon after the black flag from the guys over at Zen Volvo. Luis use to work for the dealer in Pasadena, and I soon found someone outside his area. I do 3 month rotations to Hawaii, so I just drop the car off at the dealer that is outside L.A. area when I'm gone.

What happens is every single time you come in for ANY warranty work, even a light bulb, they have to get the OK from the Volvo rep (wherever he may be) so no one will spend an hour on the phone for that and they just say they won't work on it, it's not worth their time and effort.

I can't get suspension work done at all... even for a sensor or anything connected to the suspension, but I can get other things worked on with out problems. The rep in the area I now go to... how do I say... a little more hands on and actually looks at the problem. He spends time with the guys in the shop. He's been o.k. with my car so far.

If I go in for suspension work... then there is this flash message, (on the dealers computer), that comes on about the warranty flagged. That guy out of Minn. that was selling the Blue Evolve car didn't believe me until I e-mailed my VIN. It wasn't long before he wrote me back saying he saw it and would look into getting it lifted. Still not lifted.

So far... the new rep has replaced the Clutch and everything with the clutch system because of the slave cylinder line twisted, the sensors in the brakes went out along with the BCM, stock turbo cracked before stage 2, the plastic pipe over the engine busted twice on normal boost, the turning signal harness in the steering wheel shorted, CD player motor broke, the fuel pump module went out. All the issues replaced at the new dealer. It would had been a nightmare at the dealers in So. Cal. Especially for the clutch which is common to go out, but there's no TNN, so imagine the hurdles for me with a non- mod friend rep.

Anyway owning a flagged car sucks, you may just as well sell it,
no one will do warranty work.

I'm not worried about the warranty anymore... it ends in 6,000 miles... which is probably at the end of the year. I'll buy an after market extended Warranty and stick with Zen Volvo in studio city or my wonderfully mod friendly dealer I have now. The after market extended warranty will give me a new start. I'll be alright as long as I don't get it from VCNA.

Look... I'm a quiet person and I'm not a person to get someone upset. A lot of people here have met me in person and contest to that, but I have to be very abrasive when I say… that Magg Warranty Act is easier said then done. It's posted too much, and a few here get the wrong opinion that everything will work out. There are a lot of dealers here that have worked very hard to lift my black flag... and a year or so later... it's still there.

Another thing...

Quote, originally posted by 05s60r »

but they void my emission system because of the TME exhaust - not the DP, not the ECU, but the exhaust

I don't think that's illegal at all. That's the majority of the emmision system. Not just the exhaust, but the DP and ECU too. I'm guessing he has those items because he said not because of the DP or ECU. I think the dealer said exhaust and meant the DP too... which has the CAT. It really comes down to if the dealer has knowledge of a car... outside what's in the VADIS manual.

See less See more
#2 ·
You can't effectively invoke Moss-Mag without a letter from a lawyer. It's really that simple. But it's up to you if it is worth it.

#4 ·
Re: Want to do Mods (KillerB)

Quote, originally posted by KillerB »
I'll buy an after market extended Warranty and stick with Zen Volvo in studio city or my wonderfully mod friendly dealer I have now. The after market extended warranty will give me a new start.

sorry to hear about the bum news. that is really d*** of your rep., but good news about the extended warranty. i had no idea that you got a clean slate with an extended warranty.

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#5 ·
Re: Want to do Mods (phuz)

Quote, originally posted by phuz »

sorry to hear about the bum news. that is really d*** of your rep., but good news about the extended warranty. i had no idea that you got a clean slate with an extended warranty.

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
NON Volvo warranty is what he said

#6 ·
Re: Want to do Mods (JRL)

NON Volvo warranty is what he said

thanks...i CAN read.

#7 ·
Re: Want to do Mods (JRL)

Any warranty (Volvo or otherwise) will have an exclusion for modifications. Buying an aftermarket warranty will get him out from under the certainty of the existing Volvo blackball, but there is no guaranty against a similar outcome with the new warrantor. If you think VCNA is more aggressive in voiding warranties than an aftermarket company will be, then it is definitely a good move. The fact that his car appeared for warranty work at a dealership so close to the Volvo rep no doubt encouraged the guy to show up and flag the car. With an aftermarket warranty, it seems far less likely that something like that would happen.

Note: most of the extended warranties (Volvo VIP included) can be sold back to the warrantor at the purchaser's option for a price that gradually decreases over the life of the warranty. So if you get blackballed again, you probably will have the option to just call the whole thing off, get your money back, and self-insure if you want to.

#8 ·
Re: Want to do Mods (pelicanflyt)

Evolve products strike again....

#9 ·
Re: Want to do Mods (pelicanflyt)

Quote, originally posted by pelicanflyt »
Any warranty (Volvo or otherwise) will have an exclusion for modifications.

You would be surprised how lapse many companies are in this area.
Let's face it, not too many people (% wise) mod a Volvo and that would be the last thing they would ask

#10 ·
Re: Want to do Mods

I've talked with Zen Volvo a few times about the aftermarket coverage and they said that is the way to go.. Zen Volvo isn't a Volvo dealership, but rather a local garage that works on Volvo's.

The sad thing about the dealers voiding customer's warranties is that it hurts them in the long run. The clutch deal I replaced probably would have cost me in the ball park of 2,000-2,500 if I had to pay for it out of my own pocket. Majority of that was in labor hours over a legitimate factory problem. Since then, I've had the new dealer do some other of stuff... laser jammer, Aguamist, TV tuner, IMIV, ect. The dealer makes money on all the labor hours. I figure it's done right with the Mast Tech working on it and it's sort of a way to say thanks... feeding them with business. The old dealer loses gobs of money on those labor hours and any referrals.

The salesmen lose big on a bum service dept too. I, myself have looked at other cars for my next buy because of the service that I've got in the garage. Let's face... I went to an Audi event and audi guy's asked me about the squeaking in the strut area that I was have problems getting fixed... they told me to bring it over to the trailer... and they worked on the problem trying to resolve it. No money exchange... just an interest in helping someone. That wins business. It wasn't until my new dealer started taking care of me that I thought of a new S80... or XC90.

If I had to do it again... I probably would have gone IPD sway's and springs... not because the ipd vrs evolve factor, but because the product they sell is black instead of bright blue. There are other factors with that choice, but I think that is a start.

What's really sad is this latest void from someone else

it points to a faulty brake position sensor switch (around $98) - the wonderful dealership completely void my brake system warranty because I have aftermarket rotors.

They lost a customer and potential buyer over $98... and probably an hour of labor to install it.... and he paid the labor to have diagnosed. That's sad and cheap of the dealer.

#11 ·

...The rep came in to look at the car... said all these after market springs squeak... wrote down the VIN number, numbers in the door jam and wa-la...

wa-la? ROFLOL! Do you mean Viola (a french word often used in English meaning there it is or similar)?

That is funny.

#13 ·

an electronic sensor CAN't be "black flagged" for warranty coz you use other springs
that sensor CAN never fail coz u used an other spec spring.

#14 ·
Re: Want to do Mods (JARMO)

Quote, originally posted by JARMO »
an electronic sensor CAN't be "black flagged" for warranty coz you use other springs
that sensor CAN never fail coz u used an other spec spring.
Well, you're there and we're HERE and we have some "interesting and knowledgable
" factory reps

#15 ·

They lost a customer and potential buyer over $98... and probably an hour of labor to install it.... and he paid the labor to have diagnosed. That's sad and cheap of the dealer.

The sad thing is if they didn't charge me for the diagnostic (read GOOD customer services), looking at the location of the sensor, it was probably broken during the FMIC install when routing the hoses into tight places, I'm ready to pay for the sensor and the labor to have it replaced. Instead, they void my brake system because of the rotors, so I order the part else where and paid someone else to replace it - all this time I believed rotors are like pads, which are wear items, does that mean anyone who have aftermarket pad will have the whole brake system void? Even if the part is designed for the system?

Billy

#16 ·
Re: Want to do Mods (05s60r)

all this time I believed rotors are like pads, which are wear items, does that mean anyone who have aftermarket pad will have the whole brake system void? Even if the part is designed for the system?

At least in SoCal, the answer seems to be "Yes."

My indie volvo shop is owned and staffed by former volvo dealer mechanics. I recently needed new pads and rotors on my V50. He gave me the choice of OEM Volvo parts or aftermarket parts. BUT he stronly recommended the OEM parts because the dealers and factory reps are "complete d**ks" when it comes to warranty exclusions. I chose the (excessively squeaky often TNN'd) OEM parts.

#18 ·
Re: Want to do Mods (Tekk)

Quote, originally posted by Tekk »
Thats just completely RIDICULOUS to void a whole brake system because of a simple pad or rotor. My god that is insane.

You are right. It is insane to pay higher prices for OEM parts to avoid a hassle with Volvo over future warranty claims. But what is one supposed to do?

Quote, originally posted by Otter »
Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

Any ideas for a futile and stupid gesture?

KillerB's only option is to sue Volvo for money damages to reimbusre him for the brake work and for injunctive relief to get his car off the blacklist. That is not a small claims suit. And, unless there is a loser pays attorney fees clause in the warranty, no attorney will take that case without being paid by the hour. I would love to sue Volvo over something like this, but I have neither the time nor the money. So I chose to pay the extra money for the OEM parts.

The bigger problem is that virtually every auto company uses these same policies, so taking my business elsewhere the next time I buy a car will not do me any good.

#19 ·
Re: Want to do Mods (05s60r)

Quote, originally posted by BarentsBlueV50 »

KillerB's only option is to sue Volvo for money damages to reimbusre him for the brake work and for injunctive relief to get his car off the blacklist.

Just fyi... I have the suspension void.

SS user 05s60r is the recent warranty void on the brakes.

I don't know what it cost to get the lawyers started on something as a voided warranty, but I recently had a lawyer draft me a letter for something else... and it was $1,500 per letter. I have no idea what a letter for this kind of situation would cost, but it's got to be much more than what the service department is billing you for.

#20 ·

Just fyi... I have the suspension void.

SS user 05s60r is the recent warranty void on the brakes.

Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

Oops. My bad.

#22 ·
Re: (05_V70R)

Quote, originally posted by 05_V70R »
It's really funny - I am so DONE with my Volvo dealer - I just traded my 06 S40 for an 07 328i - and would have traded the R if it depreciate so badly... Bye Bye Volvo. Back to BMW and not looking back.

BMW dealers are better?

Sure, they are more knowledgeable. They know exactly what they're doing as they remove money from your wallet.

And no, I'm not anti-BMW, you're talking to someone who's experienced 10+ years of multiple BMW ownerships and dealers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.