SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

S60R tuning - where's the limit?

13K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  bpslater81 
#1 ·
I wonder what are the limit when performance tuning the S60R? Can I for instance get about 500 HP (or at least 400-450) out of it, and if so what are the adjustments or addon's I need to do to achieve this?
What are the best tuning companies that can provide this performance with "off the shelf" products? Evolve, Heico, IDP, BSR, Rica?
If I want to get this performance, what is the appr. price I will have to pay for these products incl work etc?

In general I am getting a little tired of all these Mustang (and other American muscle car) owners, and I'd like to get my R to at least pull away a little from them.

...I guess for this, the performance I am talking about above is where I need to get...or?

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: S60R tuning - where's the limit? (andersh67)

To leave the mustang GTs behind, IMO, you will need:

Ram-Air CAI
Filter (BMC or K&N)
DP (IPD or Ferrita)
Exhaust (IPD, Ferrita, Jetex/EST)
ECU (Softloader, RICA or IPD)
Lightweight wheels (OZ ultraleggeras or Chrono HTs are both under 20 lbs for ~$300)

This will give you the equivalent of about 375 hp

To leave them behind during any other season than winter:
FMIC (phuz or Bell)

FMIC should also add about 15hp, so you will be real close to 390 hp provided you are running at least 93, preferably 95 octane.

Get a G-tech performance meter to register real world improvements with each step.

#8 ·
Re: S60R tuning - where's the limit? (uvil)

Quote, originally posted by uvil »
Why not BSR for a tune? or were those names for softloader just the ones that came to mind?

BSR is a good tune, but they have never certified their tune for use with a DP. One person reported issues with BSR + DP, but a number of people have run both together for a long time with no problems.

However IPD and RICA both sell optimized stage II tunes, that is why I mentioned them.

#9 ·
Re: S60R tuning - where's the limit? ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »

FMIC (phuz or Bell)
FMIC should also add about 15hp, so you will be real close to 390 hp provided you are running at least 93, preferably 95 octane.

I'm confused...I thought the S60R already has twin intercoolers as standard. What is the difference between these and the FMIC?

#10 ·

BSR is a good tune, but they have never certified their tune for use with a DP. One person reported issues with BSR + DP, but a number of people have run both together for a long time with no problems.
However IPD and RICA both sell optimized stage II tunes, that is why I mentioned them.

Can I expect any performance gain from running BSR with a DP or do I risk damaging the engine?

I checked IPDs and VivA's (Rica's) web pages, but I cannot find anything about stage II etc. I can only find that they sell the softloaders. Where can I find info on their different stages?

#11 ·

Ram-Air CAI
Filter (BMC or K&N)....
etc........

What is the difference between a CAI and a performance air filter like BMC? If I mount a CAI won't that replace the normal air filter? Why should I have both?

#14 ·

Ram-Air CAI
Filter (BMC or K&N)
DP (IPD or Ferrita)
Exhaust (IPD, Ferrita, Jetex/EST)
ECU (Softloader, RICA or IPD)
Lightweight wheels (OZ ultraleggeras or Chrono HTs are both under 20 lbs for ~$300)

This will give you the equivalent of about 375 hp

FMIC (phuz or Bell)

Get a G-tech performance meter to register real world improvements with each step.
I think that's a little high.
That's basically my setup including a very special and aggresive tune and I feel I'm running about 375-380 with an FMIC.
I suppose we'll never really know unless it's dynoed

#16 ·

Quote, originally posted by andersh67 »
In general I am getting a little tired of all these Mustang (and other American muscle car) owners, and I'd like to get my R to at least pull away a little from them.

...I guess for this, the performance I am talking about above is where I need to get...or?

Looking at this website,

http://www.forbesautos.com/com.../s60/

the S60R and the Mustang Coupe GT are very close as far as 0-60 is concerned. Do we need to modify the R so much to be faster than the mustang?

I know the mustang will leave faster at the begining but once our turbo spools up, we can catch up before the 1/4 mile. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Now, add in some wet roads and our AWD against their rear wheel drive!!

Stephen

#17 ·
Re: S60R tuning - where's the limit? (TaiBo)

Quote, originally posted by TaiBo »

Looking at this website,

http://www.forbesautos.com/com.../s60/

the S60R and the Mustang Coupe GT are very close as far as 0-60 is concerned. Do we need to modify the R so much to be faster than the mustang?

I know the mustang will leave faster at the begining but once our turbo spools up, we can catch up before the 1/4 mile. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Stephen

My R is modded and is much faster than a stock Mustang to incluse cobras. I have been told to "grab my ankles" by some pretty highly modiffied mustakes with street legal slicks on the back and a stance like a funny car.

#18 ·
Re: S60R tuning - where's the limit? (TaiBo)

The anlge gear worries me a bit too. I geuss you got's know how NOT to abuse your modd'ed R. Also, the 2.5 is pretty stressed to begin with so any serious modd'ing must start with thinking about getting the heat out and dealing with the hot spots.

Quote, originally posted by TaiBo »

Stephen

No kidding! Remeber Galati winning at Mosport last year? I loved hearing the commenatators keep mentioning the "enormous forward traction of the AWD Atspeed R".

Those poor RWD guys at this time of year
An AWD Suzuki Aero will cut down a RWD mustang in the snow

I start having THE most fun with my R at this time of year. Today we're having our first snow storm of the year, now's when you see all the AWD guys in their glory, even with 'only' 300hp.

LTA

#19 ·
Re: S60R tuning - where's the limit? (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »

My R is modded and is much faster than a stock Mustang to incluse cobras. I have been told to "grab my ankles" by some pretty highly modiffied mustakes with street legal slicks on the back and a stance like a funny car.

What mods do you have? Brand names etc and how much did you appr pay for it incl labor?

#20 ·
Re: S60R tuning - where's the limit? (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

.....That's basically my setup including a very special and aggresive tune and I feel I'm running about 375-380 with an FMIC.

What setup do you have? What components and brand names etc and how much did you appr pay for it incl labor?
Who provided your tune? Is it an off the shelf tuning?

#21 ·

What setup do you have? What components and brand names etc and how much did you appr pay for it incl labor? Who provided your tune? Is it an off the shelf tuning?

All good questions but not so easily answered in the Volvo world..... There are many A to your Q, let a few people chime in.

#22 ·

What is the difference between a CAI and a performance air filter like BMC? If I mount a CAI won't that replace the normal air filter? Why should I have both?

What setup do you have? What components and brand names etc and how much did you appr pay for it incl labor?
Who provided your tune? Is it an off the shelf tuning?

So many questions, so little searching. I think you caught the SS members on a good day but you really got'a spend some time using the search.

JRL has the ultra-sweet Sonic Blue VR SS project car. He said 'special tune' which means, no, it's not 'off the shelf'. I think Marco from TME probaly spent a few sleepless nights living in that wagon with his laptop.

BTW: Make sure you search for 'factory freek' yours might be one which means you're already 3/4's of the way there

LTA

#23 ·

how much did you appr pay for it incl labor?
THAT... is none of your business

Engine wise I have a custom ECU tune
IPD DP and a TME exhaust.
A homemade (Phuz') FMIC, Kelly's CAI and a K&N filter (not sure that
does much of anything)
But the tune.........!
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Compared to a 2000 M5 it felt about even
That has 396 HP but weighs about 250-300 lbs more, which would translate to about 365-370 in the R plus BMW stated HP numbers usually are very conservative