SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2005 S40 iPod Integration with Dension Gateway 500

152K views 459 replies 89 participants last post by  Praetor 
#1 ·
I am one of the many 2005 S40 owners that have been searching for a way to play an iPod through the S40 audio system without a sub-par FM modulator. Months back read numerous posts about different theories, but never read about anyone having any success. The fallback always seemed to be the FM modulator. I gave up on this search a few months ago, but recently decided to poke around again. This is what I've found.

The Dension Gateway 500 has a new firmware upgrade that, according to their support people, is compatible with a 2005 S40 audio system that is equipped with a CD changer (CDC).

I have yet to buy or try any of what they're saying, but for your information, I've copied the discussion I've been having with their support people. I'm still very skeptical, but a little encouraged to try.
to the fiber-optic stereo of the 2005 Volvo S40?

SUPPORT'S RESPONSE:
> You can use Gateway 500, if you have an original Volvo CD Changer installed.
Regards... Dension Support

MY FOLLOW UP:
> Thank you for your response. Is there any white papers or other documentation that you could provide for this approach?

SUPPORT'S RESPONSE:
> The best is to erad the User Manual and if you are still interested the Installation Guide available at
http://www.dension.com/download_icelink.html

MY FOLLOW UP:
> Support,
One additional question. When I enter Volvo S40 on your compatibility website and click on 2007 (same model as my 2005), it says "Not supported at this time" under the Gateway 500 column. See attached
screenshot. What is the reason for this?

SUPPORT'S RESPONSE:
>IT maintaining information displayed on the WEB is behind the developers. Not a lucky situation, but better to have a solution than to advertise something doesn't exists

Latest 2.08 was released officially yesterday afternoon, see

http://support.dension.com/sup...d=110

For more information read the attached history file.

See less See more
#327 ·
Re: 2b Installation Success (crdeantonio)

Okay, unless this group buy happens in the next week or so, I'm going to buy this thing on my own.

When I do buy it, after reading this post all of the way through, I plan on starting out with the 2b install and the S40/V50 DIP settings...

Is this a good starting point or should I try something different (I know this is a vague question considering everyone seems to have different outcomes)?

Thanks.

#329 ·
Re: 2b Installation Success (Greggor)

I know I'm bothering the hell out of everyone on this thread, but can someone explain to me how the navigation of an iPod works with the GW500 through the stock head unit? ANY help would be great. Thanks.

*Pics would help alot too!!! Thanks.

#331 ·
Re: 2b Installation Success (bhazen_mtb)

Quote, originally posted by bhazen_mtb »
It says on the Dension page that you can use a USB flash drive. Has anybody tried a USB drive?

I am thinking of getting in on the group buy but I don't have or plan on buying an IPOD in addition to the Gateway 500.

USB flash is what I use the most at this point. Works with every kind of stick I throw at it...from a 16gb corsair to a 4gb kingston to a nameless 1gb

#332 ·
Hi,

Just installed GW500, besides that I was not able to see any text (song names) I was not able as well to get into the TEXT menu flipping 6 times or 3 on/off the switch. But the rest worked well, I can switch from CDC to GW500 just waiting a couple of seconds.

My car has Premium sound, S40 MY 2006

#333 ·
Re: (HandyPick)

Quote, originally posted by HandyPick »
Hi,

Just installed GW500, besides that I was not able to see any text (song names) I was not able as well to get into the TEXT menu flipping 6 times or 3 on/off the switch. But the rest worked well, I can switch from CDC to GW500 just waiting a couple of seconds.

My car has Premium sound, S40 MY 2006

Is the CD-TEXT enabled under CD-Menu?
What DIP switch positions and what install did you use?

#334 ·
Re: 2b Installation Success (awd)

Quote, originally posted by awd »

USB flash is what I use the most at this point. Works with every kind of stick I throw at it...from a 16gb corsair to a 4gb kingston to a nameless 1gb

I get a bit of a bass boost playing the same song from the USB drive as opposed to the iPod. This is probably firmware related...

#336 ·
Re: 2b Installation Success (Revolve40)

I am repeating a post that I made on the "group buy thread" for information purposes for those that have followed this thread. I don't know how to just link the two together.

Installed the Gateway today, unfortunately before I started the install, I tried to eject a couple of commercial CD's that were in the changer. They didn't eject and the changer got stuck in an endless loop ending in the dreaded "deck error"! Even with resets it repeated the same pattern. Since my S40 is out of warranty, I tore into the changer. I was able to retrieve my CD's and diagnosed the problem. A tiny tab broke on the center spindle and it would not release the CD to either eject or return to the CD stack location. Unfortunately the changer is now not working and annoyingly hunts for CD's everytime it is selected (even in the Gateway mode). Fortunately the hunt only last 15 seconds or so and does not end in a "deck error" situation.

On the good news side the Gateway worked flawlessly using the 2B install with dip switches 2, 4 and 6 selected with version 2.11 of the software. What great sound compared to the Kenwood modulator. I tucked the gateway behind the ICM and CD changer like higgens340s did and installed the connections on the top of the glove box. I used a fuse tap on fuse #77 and connected the ground to a bolt on the drivers side. My S40 is a 2005 with premium audio with the last six digits of the VIIN being 090915. It would appear that the CD changer would also work if it was functioning! I have tested both the USB and i-pod modes. With my son's i-pod the artist and album selection modes did not work quite right, but my son figures that is due to the way he has the music stored on the i-pod. In USB mode everything worked as indicated.

Anyone have a dead CD changer that I could possible cannibalize for the center spindle?

#337 ·
Re: 2b Installation Success (CDR114)

Quote, originally posted by CDR114 »

On the good news side the Gateway worked flawlessly using the 2B install with dip switches 2, 4 and 6 selected with version 2.11 of the software. What great sound compared to the Kenwood modulator.

Are you planing on selling your kenwood modulator, cause a poor sole like me with the single cd player could use it.

#338 ·
Re: 2b Installation Success (kpsingh0)

Look for my e-mail, yes I plan on selling it after I get it removed (probably next weekend)!

#339 ·
Re: 2b Installation Success (CDR114)

Hey guys, I read through this thread again looking for people who actually got the Gateway 500 working with TEXT output from the iPod. I couldn't seem to find anybody explicitly saying they were able to get that functionality to work.

Did anyone get mp3 text on their display and if so, what if anything, did you have to do?

I installed with the 2b setup (CDC not in the loop) with switched power from the 12v in the console and everything seems to work like a charm, CDC and iPod.

#340 ·
Text

I posted that I had problems with text at the beginning, but it was solved re-doing the software update (I did when I installed and for some reason text was not working).
Also far as I understood the Mode (Menu selectable on CD 6) needs to be set on Gateway 500.
So right now I do have Song names and artist shown on the display.

#342 ·
Re: Text (Greggor)

Yes. With UI mode you will not have Artist/Song text and will have bogus time and track info, but can navigate thru the iPod controls. In GW mode you will have correct text displayed, but will have to do all navigation thru the console/steering wheel controls.

#343 ·
Re: Text (tcandalino)

Thanks tcandalino, one more question though....when I am on Disc 6, is turning the jogwheel to iPod GW actually selecting it to iPod GW or do I have to press anything after scrolling to iPod GW to select it? The reason I ask is because the manual says I need to use a select button when selecting these settings....as far as I know...we don't have one. Also, the Gateway manual says I should use a FF button for certain functionality, is that simply holding down the next track button on the steering wheel?

#345 ·
Re: Text (tcandalino)

Well my group buy GW 500 finally arrived late this afternoon and I just finished most of the 2b install in my daughters S40 (Premium). I say most, because I still have to tackle getting the USB cable and Aux box into the glove box (they are just hanging into the passenger footwell at the moment. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that I didn't have to remove the aluminum panel at all. In fact I the only reason to even pop the small cig lighter cover at the base of the panel would be if you choose to use the lighter cable negative as the ground (which I did).

Overall the install went fairly smooth. It ended up taking a bit less than an hour, but I went real slow and took some breaks to visit this forum for tips such as what the options there were for ground. The glovebox work aside, there was probably only about 15 minutes of real work for someone who had done one before and had all the necessary tools nearby.

The only mistake I made was looking at the installation instructions for a clue as to how to route the optical connections. I mistakenly thought that the illustration was accurate in representing the optical cable position in relation to the side of the connectors with the clips, it's not. So when I hooked it all up and did a test run, the stereo would start up with the splash screen and then promptly turn off. After realizing my mistake I simply ignored the little pictures of the connectors (on the instructions and instead reoriented the connections to follow the arrows, which are marked on each of the clips as well as correctly on the instructions. After that quick swap I redid the test and WOW! Immediate success.

I agree with another poster regarding how much better this sounds. It makes me jealous that I won't be spending much time in the car.
I can't express how happy I am with the sound (or unhappy with Volvo that I had to wait this long and pay this much for a simple Ipod interface).

I haven't had much of a chance to play with the interface, but I think I'll need to reread this thread to figure things out. So far switching between CDC and GW works fine, as does the IPOD UI, which is probably what I'll leave it on for my daughter since she is used to and prefers that interface.

The only "problem" I have seen so far is that while I can effectively navigate through the menu items on disk 6 I can't seem to get any of them to "take". I've tried holding the FF button on the steering wheel while on a particular menu item, such as the GW UI, but the Ipod UI still stays active.

I'll see about posting some pictures tomorrow.

#346 ·
Re: Text (jsharpe)

congratulations!

how were you able to access the back of the CDC without removing the aluminum panel?

and what fuse did you use for power?

i'm getting up the guts to do this myself and all you successful installers are inspiring!

some pictures would be great.

enjoy the tunes!

#347 ·
Re: Text (dushan)

Quote, originally posted by dushan »
congratulations!

how were you able to access the back of the CDC without removing the aluminum panel?

For the 2b install you only need to access the back of the ICM (Display), not the CDC. Once you remove the trim panel around the cd slot and pop out the plastic cover behind and opposite the aluminum panel you can reach your fingers behind the display and simply pop it out toward you. There are no screws or clips or anything, just a kind of friction fit.

BTW I strongly agree with gamecrazy500 on how difficult it is to get the gloveback back into place. It also took me just as long to do that as the entire rest of the install. The main problem I had was trying to get it far enough left (toward the center of the car). I think the problem I had was that I had pulled the glovebox assembly out further on the right than on the left, and trying to rotate it back in made the alignment with the "inner box" next to impossible. I finally succeeded by pulling the whole thing out further and then pushing it in straight.

congratulations!
and what fuse did you use for power?

77 using an add-a-circuit mini. Note that the first time you push fuses into the add-a-circuit they are very tight.

congratulations!
i'm getting up the guts to do this myself and all you successful installers are inspiring!

some pictures would be great.

Here you go.

http://www.sharpe.com/images/S...s.jpg

http://www.sharpe.com/images/S40GW500_display.jpg

http://www.sharpe.com/images/S...y.jpg

http://www.sharpe.com/images/S40GW500_glovebox.jpg

http://www.sharpe.com/images/S...t.jpg

http://www.sharpe.com/images/S...n.jpg

http://www.sharpe.com/images/S...t.jpg

http://www.sharpe.com/images/S...g.jpg

Also note that all the screws that you do need to remove have a star head, I think it was a T25. And in order to get the cables up alongside the glovebox from the location down behind the carpet to the top entry I found a fish tape very useful.

Finally I did figure out how to change input modes (I was holding the FF button in the wrong place) but I still haven't figured out how to get the firmware version. Even when in the GW UI mode when I turn it on I get a Unit ID, but not the firmware version.

Modified by jsharpe at 6:17 AM 7-11-2008

#348 ·

I didn't remove the CDC, only the display. I connected the fiber optics to the display. As long as the GW is in the loop, it should work.

And the glovebox is very strange to install. The best way I found was to line up the center tab in the "inner box" and then line up the 2 screw holes. Don't try to pop the upper clips in unless the screw holes are lined up.

The GW interface navigation still confuses me. So you can only use the center panel to FF(select)?

Also, how should you arrange the files on the USB? I would think that it wouldn't matter because the GW uses the mp3 tags but when I try to go to the Next artist/album(disc 2/3) it seems kind of random.

#349 ·

Thanks for everyone who has posted these very helpful pictures so far. I'm going to install mine today and tomorrow. Looks so easy that I cannot skip it even now that my move is just a couple of days away. So I've just got to do it before all my tools go into the moving container...

I have checked the car wiring diagrams to find even easier to reach and logical connection points for the +12V and GND. I found the following:

+12V (constant power) --- Fuse F43
GND --- BK-BU wire at connector A:3 behind the ICM aka display module

The fuse F43 provides power for the MPM = CD player. To use it for the Dension GW is logical since it is an integral part of the audio system anyway and I would not want a blown 12V outlet fuse to mess up the audio as well.

The GND connection is a logical choice too since the display needs to come out during the installation and thus the said GND wire is already at hand.

I just have not decided yet where I want to put the iPod connector, AUX in pod and USB - maybe I'll use the add on thrash can to mount the AUX in at least. Decisions, decisions...

#350 ·
I got mine installed today, but I've connected it to the amplifier in the trunk. The gateway sits behind the trunk liner, next to the amp. For power I've tied in to the amp power connector. I used the 2b installation diagram, with 2-4 dip switches - can't tell the difference between the 2,4 and the 1, 4,6, it seems to work the same with both.

http://i110.photobucket.com/al...0.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/al...1.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/al...2.jpg

it took me a while to figure out how to take apart the amp power connector, but this is how it looks like

http://i110.photobucket.com/al...9.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/al...4.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/al...8.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/al...7.jpg

Modified by volvoluv at 6:16 PM 7-12-2008

Modified by volvoluv at 6:17 PM 7-12-2008

#351 ·
Re: (volvoluv)

Very cool - this proves that the GW works anywhere in the MOST loop.

I got mine installed just an hour ago too. Seems to work fine now - haven't thoroughly tested it yet though.

I did waste almost an hour to troubleshoot before I noticed that I'm an idiot. I had the Add-A-Circuit plugged into the F43. The GW powered up fine but the audio system was playing dead. It took some time before I figured out that the two fuse positions in the AAC thingy need to be equipped as one of them serves the original circuit and the other the new one...

After I got that thing sorted out, it immediately started playing iPod. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I shoved the GW exactly where jsharpe had put it, under the wire loom behind the passenger side center console carpet. I applied a piece of firewall insulation material (self adhesive) to the side of the GW to help it keep in position and prevent it from touching the chassis metal parts directly.

This position is actually pretty good. It is a bit tight but it is fairly easy to access the unit and cables if need arises. Also the optical fiber that goes from the GW straight to the display could be an inch longer but I think it will be OK. The USB connector is in a bit tight spot too but at least it cannot jump out...

I attached the AUX input pod and the USB connector to the side of the thrash can - the Volvo accessory one that drops on top of the shallow locker behind the console. I'm still trying to decide where to put the iPod clip but I can quite well use it with just the cable.

volvoluv, I noticed that if you have the XC90 position selected, the CDC optical port activates on the GW. With the S40/V50 position, the port does nothing (TX led does not light up).

BTW, the GND position I suggested above works fine too.

Modified by FinnSpeed at 10:39 PM 7-13-2008

Modified by FinnSpeed at 1:24 PM 7-14-2008

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.