Do I need an alignment after replacing the front struts?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Do I need an alignment after replacing the front struts?

The front struts were replaced yesterday. Do I need an alignment now?

On my other cars, I always get an alignment. But, I have been told that the XC90 may be different.

Thanks for the advice,

- Mike

Re: Do I need an alignment after replacing the front struts? (Emission)

Quote, originally posted by Emission »

On my other cars, I always get an alignment. But, I have been told that the XC90 may be different.

Thanks for the advice,

- Mike

Interesting question. I would want to believe that you would need an alignment. When i did the same with my 2001 V70 T5, I had to get an alignment.

Yannis

Re: Do I need an alignment after replacing the front struts? (KeystoneVolvo)

Yes, it is tire wear insurance.

OK, I'll fess up...

I took the car to the dealer for a "clunk" in the front end. They replaced the sway bar and the front left strut yesterday.

I asked if the car would be aligned, and they said, "...it didn't need one" (and they also said Volvo wouldn't pay for it).

I think the car needs an alignment. I have personally replaced struts before and I cannot see how you can get everything perfectly back together (the camber would be off).

- Mike

I agree. I don't see how those components could be replaced and an alignment NOT be required.
      There've been numerous posts hereon in which the poster related the same - the dealer didn't do an alignment, and it seemed to be that it was because Volvo wouldn't pay for it for associated warranty work.

I don't understand, checking the alignment on one wheel isn't a big deal, takes very little time.

I guess you have two options: Pay to have the alignment checked somewhere - and if it's off get it well documented- go back to the dealer with the bill.

Watch that tire for abnormal wear.

I took the car to the dealer for a "clunk" in the front end. They replaced the sway bar and the front left strut yesterday.

I asked if the car would be aligned, and they said, "...it didn't need one" (and they also said Volvo wouldn't pay for it).

IMO......you should get an alignment and possibly some consideration under warranty. When my R had the tranny drop for the input shaft lube TNN, an alignment was covered because the SM stated that the subframe was loosened in the process.

2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

Thanks for the advice,

- Mike

I don't know about XC90, but my old 850 did have cumber that was not adjustable, so after the struts change it did not need alignment.

A bit of tech: like most all vehicles equipped with McPherson front struts vs. conventional shock absorbers, the XC90 has its wheel camber setting adjusted via one of two bolts, an eccentric bolt specifically, that fasten the bottom of the strut to the steering knuckle. So in order to remove the strut from the vehicle for replacement, one's got to first remove said camber adjustment bolt and thereby mess with the alignment.

So basically unless one is really anal retentive and marked the bolt's orientation prior to removal and can reinstall the camber adjustment bolt at the exact angle it was previously set to one's going to have to get the alignment checked to verify it's still in spec.

In any case if in doubt, have the alignment rechecked anyway--it's cheaper than having to fork over the coin for a new set of tires prematurely worn out by a funky alignment.

Also note that one needs a four-wheel alignment on these vehicles--it's not possible to do a simple one-wheel alignment.