Rattling coming from the back trunk or suspension in my s60
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rattling coming from the back trunk or suspension in my s60

Lately I've been hearing a kind of loud rattling noise coming from my trunk or suspension when driving over bumps or on city streets. Has anyone experienced this?

Re: Rattling coming from the back trunk or suspension in my s60 (emorksgl)

Could be a lot of things. You should check surface contacts as in two seatbelt receivers clicking or the seat backs not being pushed all the way into the locking mechanism. Check the rear suspension components for anything that looks out of place. You would be suprised at the way sound is percieved vs what is actually making noise in the backseat. It could even be the brakelight cover loose tapping the rear window. My 06 Jetta did that.

check rear end links
      totally stock.. honest

Check your jack and tools they will bounce around if not properly fastened.

Re: Rattling coming from the back trunk or suspension in my s60 (jstro)

Quote, originally posted by jstro »
      check rear end links

+1

2006 Infiniti G35 Diamond Graphite
      2002 Volvo S60 Silver Metallic
      1993 Volvo 960 Classic Red

Re: Rattling coming from the back trunk or suspension in my s60 (LiLaZnDJBoY)

I'm experiencing the exact same thing in my car. Some one also told me to check out the rear sway bar and the bushings. I haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet but if you find out what your noise is, let me know.
      01 V70 T5M, 18" Pegs, Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires, BC Racing coilovers, Snabb turbo pipe, EST intake, IPD intake manifold spacer, Pioneer Navi, Hertz Audio speakers, JL audio XD400/4 and XD600/1, two RE Audio 8" subs
      1998 Saffron V70R (Sold)
      2002 S60 T5M (Sold)

Re: Rattling coming from the back trunk or suspension in my s60 (chillidawg)

Thanks I have to look in to those things. My car have almost 70k on it, so maybe some part of the suspension is bad.

same here...
      exact same problem. couldn't find out where it's coming from.
      i checked everywhere i could think of. in fact last weekend i took it to the dealer's and they couldn't find anything either. please keep us updated...

endlinks and control arm bushings are likely candidates.
      Coming Soon: 1993 240 Classic
      Current: 2010 VW GTI
      Gone and Missed: 2002 S60 T5 Manual
      Gone and Not Missed: 2001 S60 2.4t Auto

Re: (Bender)

Well yesterday I messed with the spare tire and tools in the trunk, but still heard the rattling. I'm thinking its most likely the rear suspension. I think I'll wait on till my next service and see if the dealers can find something.

is it a rattle or a clunk?

I know my noise is more of a clunk. But it's only sometimes, like if I go over a speed bump with both of the back wheels at the same time at a slow speed I don't hear it, but if I hit a bump with just the back right wheels I hear the clunk.
      01 V70 T5M, 18" Pegs, Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires, BC Racing coilovers, Snabb turbo pipe, EST intake, IPD intake manifold spacer, Pioneer Navi, Hertz Audio speakers, JL audio XD400/4 and XD600/1, two RE Audio 8" subs
      1998 Saffron V70R (Sold)
      2002 S60 T5M (Sold)

Re: (chillidawg)

Quote, originally posted by chillidawg »
      I know my noise is more of a clunk. But it's only sometimes, like if I go over a speed bump with both of the back wheels at the same time at a slow speed I don't hear it, but if I hit a bump with just the back right wheels I hear the clunk.

One of your rear endlinks is loose.

Bilsteins
      BSR stage1
      IPD linkage

rattle = endlinks
      clunk = control arm bushings

TYPICALLY this is not universal and there are other things goin on back there.

The sound is more like a rattling noise when driving in city streets over pot holes and the sound is moderate.
      How can you see if the end links are loose?

Re: (emorksgl)

Quote, originally posted by emorksgl »
      The sound is more like a rattling noise when driving in city streets over pot holes and the sound is moderate. How can you see if the end links are loose?

Check the clearance between the endlink and the control arm, and also look for any wear marks on the endlink itself.

Bilsteins
      BSR stage1
      IPD linkage

I'm having the exact same noises! Had the car to the dealer multiple times, for various issues, and they could find nothing. I tighted the spare and the jack, etc... I am now going to double check my seats. I've also noticed that if I pound the back seat I can hear a clunk from the rear deck board. Not sure if it's just a flimsy piece of crap, or the speakers are loose, but something's definately not right. OH, and this car only has 39k miles, and it's been doing it since ~ 28k, which is extermely frustrating

Re: Rattling coming from the back trunk or suspension in my s60 (rtlznrolz)

Endlinks. I just had the same noise on the front of my suspension. Replaced the endlinks and now the noise is gone. Rear endlinks are easy to replace. You can get the parts from FCP Groton. http://www.fcpgroton.com And do each side in about 30 minutes.
      2001 S60 2.4t Ash Gold/Charcoal, 183,000+ miles and going strong.

Re: Rattling coming from the back trunk or suspension in my s60 (EBender1965)

Quote, originally posted by EBender1965 »
      Endlinks. I just had the same noise on the front of my suspension. Replaced the endlinks and now the noise is gone. Rear endlinks are easy to replace. You can get the parts from FCP Groton. http://www.fcpgroton.com And do each side in about 30 minutes.

Might as well upgrade while your at it. Go with IPD or QBM.

Bilsteins
      BSR stage1
      IPD linkage

Re: Rattling coming from the back trunk or suspension in my s60 (darylkaiser31)

This is scaring me because I just installed the QBMs in November and I've got the same deal - right rear rattles like a mofo. I need to clean out my trunk and make sure the spare + tools are secure and then go for a test ride but it is driving me bonkers.

Re: Rattling coming from the back trunk or suspension in my s60 (mrapczynski)

Quote, originally posted by mrapczynski »
      This is scaring me because I just installed the QBMs in November and I've got the same deal - right rear rattles like a mofo. I need to clean out my trunk and make sure the spare + tools are secure and then go for a test ride but it is driving me bonkers.

No worries, just tighten them up real good. They're pretty burly and require a bit more torque than the stock endlinks.

Bilsteins
      BSR stage1
      IPD linkage

I locked them in at 60lbs/ft and just about dipped them in red loctite.

I locked them in at 60lbs/ft and just about dipped them in red loctite.

All that and they're still knocking? Sounds like you have a clearance problem then. Those QBM links are a heck of lot thicker than the stock or even the IPD for that matter, so every time you go over a bump they're prone to make contact with the control arm. The only solution I can think of is to insulate the endlink with foam padding or a rubber sleeve of some sort.

Bilsteins
      BSR stage1
      IPD linkage

So running errands last night, I put one half of the back seat down so I can better hear what's going on in the back. It didn't sound like suspension...

I poked around in the trunk and the spare + jack is all over the place in its bay. I'm going to go to target later and get some cheap towels and pad it down to see what happens. For some reason I thought the spare was fixed in place so I was surprised to see this.

If the noise is still there after making some kind of weird nest for the spare tire then I'll take a closer look at the QBMs.

If the noise is still there after making some kind of weird nest for the spare tire then I'll take a closer look at the QBMs.

OK, good to know. Better a loose spare tire than loose endlinks!

Bilsteins
      BSR stage1
      IPD linkage

just a note-
      the heim joints in QBM links go bad pretty quickly if you are in salt, sand, etc.
      2006 S60 AWD. Lightly Modded.

Re: (shagginwagon)

Quote, originally posted by shagginwagon »
      just a note-
      the heim joints in QBM links go bad pretty quickly if you are in salt, sand, etc.

I had originally bought the protective boot package but then I realized I couldn't see jack-s underneath the boot to make sure the rod ends and bolts were aligned correctly. Ended up cutting them off, I'll take my chances...

Word is $20 per rod end to replace them when they go bad, pricey I suppose...we'll see how long they last and I'll decide then.

Tell you what though - with the rear links extended by an 1/2inch and the fronts shortened a touch less than the stock ones - the handling on this car got a nice improvement! Me happy.

do you have iPd's sway bars on your car yet? Easilymakes the biggest difference in handling!
      2006 S60 AWD. Lightly Modded.

Re: (shagginwagon)

Nah - price for those and labor...ugh...The front and rear bars that I have are pretty substantial...the only upgrade left is a eibach/bilstein combo...

And update on this rattling bulls___, I took the spare and jack out of the trunk and went for a ride - it still rattles!! ARGH...

It doesn't sound like suspension - it sounds like something loose in the car somewhere. It just started happening within the last 2 or 3 weeks....it varies depending on how much heavy crap I have in the trunk but with the trunk near empty I still hear it.

I have a similar problem with intermittent thunks coming from the back. Maybe Trollhatten has some folks leaving things in the body like the old Vega plant in Ohio.
      Bob S.

Re: (rwsams)

Not to gotcha, but isn't that the SAAB main plant and headquerters? IIRC Volvo is in Gothenburg..

On to the thunk, the suspension subframe, perhaps. Subaru has this with the WRX and there are may kits to rep[lace the bushings in the mounts with large, solid bolts to remove all the play in that part of the system.

Re: (Karaya Eins)

I've changed my theory to something in between the roof panel and the fabric roof liner. It's not a thunk and it's not coming from any lower part of the car to indicate a suspension issue. Plus my recent check of bushings showed them to be in good condition anyway...

I have a 2007 S60 2.5 turbo and am experiencing the same metallic rattling. It is driving me nuts. Thus far I believe that it is coming from the RIGHT REAR deck passenger side, where rear deck meets the rear window. i have removed the molding with my friend, and body shop owner. We still cannot find the origin. So far we have placed sound damping tape in welded areas. THAT HAS NOT WORKED.
      I 'M ALSO WONDERING - if any one else has experienced this and has a solution? any experts in dallas area?

Have you checked the rear shocks? I had one that was completely shot and after installing new ones the rattling was gone.

I had a rattle in the rear left before and i replaced the upper strut mount and the rattle was gone. Now its back again but maybe because it was an aftermarket mount and just not as durable as oem. Will be replacing it with oem soon.
      2008 S60 2.5T FWD | CXracing coilovers | BBS wheels | OEM sport body kit | Sport steering wheel | R gauge cluster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast