Volvo US and Canada recalls
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Volvo recalls 82,000 cars

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/0...20209

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- Ford-owned Volvo Cars said Saturday it was recalling 82,000 cars because of a rust problem that could lead to the vehicle's engine stalling.

The recall concerns the car-maker's S40 and V50 models, made between 2004 and 2006, with five-cylinder petrol engines.

Volvo Cars spokeswoman Maria Bohlin said recalls were being made in the company's "corrosion markets," meaning countries where the climate is such that the cars are exposed to more rust-speeding factors such as rain, or road salt.

"In the worst case, the car can stall," she said.

In warmer and dryer countries, the cars have instead been provided with an extended guarantee.

Most of the cars had been sold in the United States, Sweden and Germany, she said.

Bohlin said the problem was located in the fuel pump electronic module, which controls the gas flow to the engine, she said.

"(It) is located in a way that it can be exposed to rainwater and roadsalt, which increases the risk of corrosion."

She declined to comment on how much the recall would cost the company.

Ford Motor Co. (F, Fortune 500) bought Volvo Cars in 1999 for about US$6.45 billion (euro4.34 billion). To top of page

Wow, this... sucks and it's been raining all month long where I live right now.

Re: Volvo recalls 82,000 cars (smartytai)

At the Boston Volvo thing last week, a couple of the mechanics came over and mentioned this, after they lifted the rear seat to check. They said to expect the recall shortly, though there's been a quiet replacement campaign going on for a little while.

They said it's an important thing to do, but it's not an emergency by any stretch. Wait for your letter, and take it in when you can.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva CBV, Elevate rear swaybar, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

So, I assume they applied the "fix" to the 2007+ models, correct?

I take it that Volvo hasn't said what chassis numbers this affects?
      98 V70 AWD M58 Manual: Wothrline tune, 15G turbo/angled flange, White injectors, R Manifold, TME Downpipe, TME Exhaust, EST Intake, IPD Swaybars + endlinks, Volvo Strut Brace, Íhlins Roadholding Suspension + Springs, 302mm ATE front rotors, vented R rears , SS Brake lines, E-spec C70 Jewels w/ 55w HIDs.

Re: (Big Will)

The recall is only in certain states, but it appears that the problem affects all cars.

It affects S40's built from chassis 000001-168553, and V50's 000001-169722. Only in the US, about 23000 cars total.

NHTSA defect notice:
      http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa....6.pdf

NHTSA recall:
      http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa....4.pdf

The link to find these is in the sticky at the top, btw.

I'll sticky this thread too, for a while.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva CBV, Elevate rear swaybar, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

grrr...
      OAKLAND ATHLETICS. OAKLAND RAIDERS. SAN JOSE SHARKS. GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS.

How does one figure out what a car's chassis number is?

Quote, originally posted by smartytai »
      [

"In the worst case, the car can stall," she said.

Bohlin said the problem was located in the fuel pump electronic module, which controls the gas flow to the engine, she said.

"(It) is located in a way that it can be exposed to rainwater and roadsalt, which increases the risk of corrosion."

Hey, this is what happened to my car last April. Dealer tried to explained it to me in similar way as stated above. I just could not believe it was my car only. I do remember them saying about the fuel pump electronic module which is located near the right rear wheel. It got damaged from corrosion... I guess , and this caused my car to stall.
      Anyways after a week without my car and now almost a year. My car has being very good to me so far.

It's funny I read this now, I just could not believe it...

Re: (mattdoc)

Quote, originally posted by mattdoc »
      How does one figure out what a car's chassis number is?

Last 6 digits of your vin number I believe.

Re: S40 and V50 RECALL!?

So I live in NC where the recall doesn't seem to apply but I bought it while living in OH. I wonder if they will still replace it?

Re: (skwirl)

Quote, originally posted by skwirl »
      Last 6 digits of your vin number I believe.

My last 6 digits fall in the given range, yet no recall exists for my car according to my dealer's service dept and Ford's search utility (Here) .

Do I have the wrong number, or perhaps has the recall not taken place yet?

my closest dealer said the same thing. they seem like they had never heard of the recall. and said that mybe its going to be a while before it will be officaly issued
      Senior Member Status
      True Story. Word.

Re: (mattdoc)

Quote, originally posted by mattdoc »

My last 6 digits fall in the given range, yet no recall exists for my car according to my dealer's service dept and Ford's search utility (Here) .

Do I have the wrong number, or perhaps has the recall not taken place yet?

My last six digits fall into the range as well. I am scheduled for my 30k mile service soon and asked the dealer if they would do this at the same time. Dealer stated that "at this point" Volvo had not issued a recall for my vehicle but if I get a notice before the service, they will do it when I am in for service.

They seem to be aware but unable to do anything about it until it is officially recalled.

Re: (kpsingh0)

For anyone who moved since the purchase of their Volvo you should contact VCNA or VCCC and let them know of your change in address.
      In your Warranty Information Booklet is a notification card that you can use for such purposes.

I know why they haven't started the letters yet...

So, guess what happened to me a mile from my house this morning, on an uphill stoplight intersection in the rain after some snowy/salty weather the past few days.

Stall. Crank. No start.

Volvo On Call (800 63-VOLVO btw) worked great, they even gave automated status updates and a final check to be sure the truck came on time (which it did). My dealer (Farrell Volvo) squeezed me in and diagnosed it this afternoon.

Pump module.

The bad news. Volvo parts logistics on these models are in their usual state - the only replacements are in Sweden. So I'm renting a Dodge Caliber until Thursday.

Anyway, no matter what the reason, it's clear that it will take a while to get 23000 pump modules in stock for this. Don't expect instant readiness. My car is an early '05, now in its third New England winter. I would hope others are still in good shape and won't need this asap.

Tom.

2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

Re: I know why they haven't started the letters yet... (tmtalpey)

I had a very similar experience as Tom did just two months ago. My car stalled and wouldn't restart. Called Volvo On Call and had a tow truck at my house within 30 minutes. At first I thought I had a problem similar to the dreaded SSS, but after reading the old threads I knew my cars issue was different. My dealer diagnosed the problem and had to order and replace the fuel pump module. Now if I can get them to repair my transmission shuddering before the warranty runs out, I'll be happy. I've explained the issue to them at every service interval...always get the "can't duplicate at this time" answer.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD, Barents Blue W/Silver Hood, Roof and Trunk, IPD Pegasus R Wheels
      127,000 miles and counting

Re: I know why they haven't started the letters yet... (AlaskanAWD)

How about .. I bought a US spec V50 in Germany vacation frequently 2-3 / yr on the north sea .. but my home of record is MA and that's were I will probably move to next yr?

Wonder if I'll get a letter?

For Sale, my 05 V50 T5 $11,900 obo. Colorado Springs !
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...lorado-Springs

Re: I know why they haven't started the letters yet... (tmtalpey)

Oh... sorry to read about it.... I guess it was time. It happened to me at home and Volvo On-Call was great. We just had to push the car out of the garage and driver took car of the rest.

My car is also one of the early models and just last April I had this problem. Well I also though it was the SSS but this was different. The car just did not want it to start at all.

Just be patient because it will probably take a week or so. And btw I got a Vibe for rental if it makes you feel any better.

Good luck and hopefully it will be done soon.

My chassis falls into the range covered by this but I am the second owner and my car is out of warranty...will I be able to get this fixed (preventively)? If so how would I go about it?

Warranty has nothing to do with a recall or who owns the car. Volvo just fixes it. They have to get word out to their service depts first, though. Just ask your local volvo dealer.

Re: (knight)

Quote, originally posted by knight »
      My chassis falls into the range covered by this but I am the second owner and my car is out of warranty...will I be able to get this fixed (preventively)? If so how would I go about it?

It's a recall so as long as Volvo knows you are the owner, you should get the notice. Though the general consensus seems to be that this could take a while to move forward and we need to wait until we are notified.

Re: I know why they haven't started the letters yet... (AlaskanAWD)

Quote, originally posted by AlaskanAWD »
      I've explained the issue to them at every service interval...always get the "can't duplicate at this time" answer.

If you can duplicate it the way you drive, get them in the car with you. If the guy who drives your car on the (alledged) road test has his foot on the floor or any fashion contrary to your drive style it may never happen.

My .02$ Canadian

Re: I know why they haven't started the letters yet... (V50_T5)

Quote, originally posted by V50_T5 »
      How about .. I bought a US spec V50 in Germany vacation frequently 2-3 / yr on the north sea .. but my home of record is MA and that's were I will probably move to next yr?

Wonder if I'll get a letter?

Contact VCNA via email and explain you have an OSD car and you live OS...

Re: (knight)

Quote, originally posted by knight »

Recalls are valid the life of the car until the car expires or the work is completed. I once replaced a gas tank on 76' 240 in 92'....

Re: (CINCYFAN)

Quote, originally posted by CINCYFAN »

Though the general consensus seems to be that this could take a while to move forward and we need to wait until we are notified.

I'm not certain that's the case but,,,,caveat,,,however it would really suck if your in for service and the campaigne letter comes to your door 2 days later, and you have to return to the store with your little slip of paper. The store should be allowed to perform the work regardless.

If Volvo makes stores adhere to this they deserve a good wholloping...

Re: (dagovna)

Quote, originally posted by dagovna »

I'm not certain that's the case but,,,,caveat,,,however it would really suck if your in for service and the campaigne letter comes to your door 2 days later, and you have to return to the store with your little slip of paper. The store should be allowed to perform the work regardless.

If Volvo makes stores adhere to this they deserve a good wholloping...

I agree that would completely blow. I do know my dealer's service department isn't going to do anything with that recall letter or Volvo acutally issueing the recall...unless of course my car starts stalling.

Re: (CINCYFAN)

All - if your car breaks and it's under warranty, Volvo will simply repair it. If it breaks and it's out of warranty, you won't have to pay if your serial number is eligible - the recall is committed. In "low-corrosion states", the warranty is extended as per the letter. If it hasn't broken, then just get it serviced at your next opportunity. There is no reason to rush in and get this.

Once you get the letter, you can get the recall work performed at any dealer. The problem is, without the go-ahead, dealers aren't authorized to perform the work yet! It's true of any recall, they take time - especially ones for large numbers of cars. If you think your car is eligible and you're taking it in, call Volvo and ask.

Tom.

2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

Re: (tmtalpey)

My car is back, on schedule and all fixed. Here's what it needed:

Volvo Tech Note 23-26

Control Unit 30769225-1
      Wiring Harness 30724963-1
      Cable Tie 983750-1

This is a 2005 V50 AWD, the numbers may not be exactly the same for other models.

The PEM (Pump Electronics Module) was relocated to underneath the fabric beneath the back seat. High and dry.

The location where it failed was at a slight uphill, at a stoplight, and it happened in the rain. I can just picture a leaky housing and a puddle of water, sloshing backward as I stopped. Zzzzt!

I highly recommend getting this service done when your letter arrives. I'm sure they'll start going out soon, when the other 22,999 replacement modules appear stateside.

Be sure Volvo North America has your current address. There's contact info at http://www.volvocars.us/tools/OwnersInfo.

Tom.

2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

No recall yet in Canada

FYI - keeping an eye on Transport Canada's Website. No sign of this recall yet....

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/list_e.asp

2006 V50 T5 AWD 6MT

Re: No recall yet in Canada (Dede)

Well, I got mine booked for next week even though I live in southern europe.

Re: No recall yet in Canada (kospa60)

Got my recall letter today...haven't seen it yet but my wife said it arrived.

Guess I'll have them do it when I go in for the 30k mile service in a few weeks.

I'll post details when I see the actual letter...

Re: No recall yet in Canada (CINCYFAN)

My letter arrived yesterday. Think I can get a second PEM?

It says pretty much what we already know

"...after long-term, reoccurring exposure to certain environmental conditions (salty-wet conditions), it is possible for the PEM to become corroded internally, causing a faulty signal to the fuel pump, resulting in low or no fuel pressure to the engine.
      The corrective action will be to replace the PEM and install in a new location to prevent corrosion"

They'll reimburse you if you've already had the work done, or a dealer can perform the work at no charge.

Tom.

2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

Was in the shop for a replacement key this morning and they notified me of the standing recall on the part and replaced/relocated it while I waited.

PEM? shouldn't it be PCM (Pump Control Module)?

got a few more recalls from the volvo tech bulletins:
      Cancellation Notice - Battery Cutoff Relay and Cable Returns 02/22/2008
      Tech-NET Notes SW changes : Power seat and Mirror Memory for Remote, Folding Mirror Function, CCM Outlet Temperature Difference 02/21/2008
      Tech-NET Notes SW Function Changes; DDM/PDM, POT and Trunk Lid Opening 02/21/2008
      Tech-NET Notes Technical Hotline Information / Hotline Closing 02/21/2008
      Parts Bulletins Recall 188- Crankcase Venilation Hose Clamp 02/20/2008
      Parts Bulletins Recall 189- Label IBC (Integrated Booster Cushion) 02/20/2008

Service Manager Bulletins Recall 188- Crankcase Ventilation Hose Clamp 02/20/2008 Service Manager Bulletins Recall 189 Integrated Booster Cushion (IBC) Labels 02/20/2008
      Tech-NET Notes Clutch Shock Limiter 02/20/2008
      Tech-NET Notes CEM harness terminal corrosion due to water entrance in plenum 02/20/2008
      Parts Bulletins Recall 190-PEM (Pump Electronic Module) MY 2004.5-2006 S40/MY 2005-2006 V50 02/20/2008
      Tech-NET Notes 5 Cylinder Angle Gear Leakage and Resealing

Unfortunately in order to get more details you need to purchase the info. Any techs in here who could explain some of these recalls?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast