Looking for DIY - Oil Change on a S60R
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for DIY - Oil Change on a S60R

Are there any DIY out there for changing oil on a S60R. I did search but couldn't find anything except for DIY on s40. Thanks.

Re: Looking for DIY - Oil Change on a S60R (vRooooM)

Are you looking for a how-to guide? It's a cinch.

Things to buy:
      Just buy a cartridge-style filter with rubber O-ring, 5.8 bottles of your favorite oil (M1) and (1) 18mm ALUMINUM crush washer.

Tools:
      You will need a suitable filter wrench on-hand. The size of the filter housing (cap) is atypical and it is recessed. A standard wrench will not work. I didn't want to pay a fortune for the socket cup at the dealer, so I picked up a canvas strap wrench at the local auto parts store for around $6. It worked like a charm. You will also need an 18mm wrench or socket. And, unless you're incredibly limber, a pair of ramps.

The oil change:
      The process should be self-explanatory if you have performed oil changes before. Step one is to drain the oil. Step two is the filter. This is the first car I have encountered with a cartridge-style filter and I must admit I was a tad intimidated. Rest assured, the housing simply unscrews and drops. Remove the old filter cartridge and seat the new one on the base of the filter housing. Give the housing a good wipe-down and examine how the old O-ring is situated before removing it. Apply a fresh coat of oil to the new ring and install it on the housing before screwing the assembly back on. Be careful not to cross-thread as the housing is plastic. Step three (once you are comfortable with the amount of oil in the pan) is to clean up around the drain plug, replace the crush washer and reinstall the plug. Be careful not to over-tighten as the pan is aluminum and the threads could be stripped out if you over-torque. Step four is to add the oil. I prefer to add the first approx. five-and-one-half quarts and then run the engine for a few seconds. Step five is to carefully top off the oil to the full line on the dipstick. A full six quarts of oil will put you about 1/8" above the full line (yeah, thanks Volvo dealer!!!). Step six is to recycle your old oil and filter. That's it... you're done!

Best of luck. Email me if you have any questions.

Tryg

2004 S60R 6MT (OSD June 2004)

Re: Looking for DIY - Oil Change on a S60R (RainyS60R)

Thanks for the info...

Quote, originally posted by RainyS60R »

Tools:
      You will need a suitable filter wrench on-hand. The size of the filter housing (cap) is atypical and it is recessed. A standard wrench will not work. I didn't want to pay a fortune for the socket cup at the dealer, so I picked up a canvas strap wrench at the local auto parts store for around $6. It worked like a charm.

I use the IPD HD filter wrench and really appreciate it. On prior cars, I used the strap or the normal 'cap type', but several times they slipped due to oil or actually deformed the cartridge. It only takes one smashed knuckle and you will wish you had a good one... I learned the hard way

http://www.ipdusa.com/search.a...rench

And by the way, your not far away, so come on over and you are welcome to try it before you buy it..

Re: Looking for DIY - Oil Change on a S60R (Move Over!)

Even the IPD "light duty" filter wrench works like a charm.

Re: Looking for DIY - Oil Change on a S60R (ktm_525)

Quote, originally posted by ktm_525 »
      Even the IPD "light duty" filter wrench works like a charm.

Yes, but Lucky gives me a 10% comission and 10% of $39.95 is better than 10% of $7.95...

Just to clarify... The 'cap type' I had before was NOT from IPD, but probably some auto parts special or 'universal' type.

BMW 135i SGM, Boston Coral Red, MSport, Premium, Cold Weather, MT

**SOLD** 04 V70R Blk Atacama 6MT Premium, NAV, etc.
      Too many mods to list...gone to a good home!

Re: Looking for DIY - Oil Change on a S60R (Edogg218)

why are you advising people to overfill their oil?......the manual clearly says
      5.5 qts.....and no I am not interested in filling my oil to above nor near the top of the fill line.......

Mine takes much closer to 6 qts every time.

Re: (firehawk618)

Quote, originally posted by firehawk618 »
      Mine takes much closer to 6 qts every time.

Yup. At 5.5 I'm seeing the "low oil" message within 2 weeks. 5.8. Theres endless threads about this, no one ever wins. Do what ya like.

im pretty sure the manual says 5.8 for R cars, you should not be filling oil randomly, when I fill mine, I always go about an 1/8' over max, when I start, let vehicle warm up, (oil flows to the oil filter), and check level again, and always get 1/8 to max line on dipstick
      2005 Volvo s60r Black Saphire/Nordkap MT, PhMIC, iPd DP, Heico Exhaust, Volutions, Trak Spec F&R Sways, IPD Stage 2, R Kelly Intake , SS Brake Lines, HD Coils, Viva forge CBV, R Boost Gauge , Strut Brace, GROM Aux Input, CB Radio....
      2001 BMW 530i Alphine White
      2004 Volvo s60r 6MT Black Sapphire/ Nordcap Sold and Missed 11/20/09

Re: (s140s)

yea closer to 5.8 for me too.

Ive been using napa gold filters lately with M1. cross reference number for the napa is 7021 or 27021.

From what they tell us at volvo and the dealer here are the oil amounts i use:
      4cyl=5qts
      5cyl(old)=6qts
      6cyl(old)=7qts
      v8=7qts
      3.2L=8qts
      5cyl(new 40,50,70,30)=6.5qts
      that is just what we went by some may beg to differ just my 2 cents
      2004 Volvo s60R: PMIC, hd tcv, custom TME catback, 3in Phuz DP

2000 Trans am: Forged 383 with all the goodies

Senior Member 850arrrsaylikepirate's Avatar

Re: (97GLTbrick)

Quote, originally posted by 97GLTbrick »
      From what they tell us at volvo and the dealer here are the oil amounts i use:
      4cyl=5qts
      5cyl(old)=6qts
      6cyl(old)=7qts
      v8=7qts
      3.2L=8qts
      5cyl(new 40,50,70,30)=6.5qts
      that is just what we went by some may beg to differ just my 2 cents

6 qts in the R is too much!

The R's oil quality sensor takes up 0.2 qts of volume which means the R needs 5.8 qts of oil.

2006 S60R - Black Sapphire~Nordkap~GT~iPd Track Spec Sways~TME Springs~TME DP-Exhaust~Bell FMIC~iMIV~E-Codes
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD - aka the kiddo hauler
      1997 4x4 Nissan - Fook mi this thing is slow

Re: Looking for DIY - Oil Change on a S60R (coolbob37)

Quote, originally posted by coolbob37 »
      5.5 qts.....and no I am not interested in filling my oil to above nor near the top of the fill line.......

Ummm... yeah, what ^^^ they ^^^ said.

Gotta love ancient threads!

- Trygve

2004 S60R 6MT (OSD June 2004)

5.5 or 5.8?

It says 5.5 LITERS which coincidentally is 5.8 Quarts.

Re: 5.5 or 5.8? (FEO)

Quote, originally posted by FEO »
      It says 5.5 LITERS which coincidentally is 5.8 Quarts.

FEO with the save!

14 Subaru Forester: White/Tan
      13 Subaru Crosstrek: Orange/Black.
      Past: (3) S60Rs, 06 XC90, 05 XC70 (the Battle Wagon!), a couple of 854s, a manual swapped/slammed/19T'd 855 T-5R...

yes also the new 3.2L says 7.8qts you know what volvo told us in traning it dosnt matter do 8 lol im just saying these are VOLVO guidelines from training in atlanta
      2004 Volvo s60R: PMIC, hd tcv, custom TME catback, 3in Phuz DP

2000 Trans am: Forged 383 with all the goodies

who ever takes there car to JIFFY LUBE for an oil change Is flirting with disaster

Re: (s140s)

Quote, originally posted by s140s »
      im pretty sure the manual says 5.8 for R cars, you should not be filling oil randomly...

What about arbitrarily? Like, just put oil in stuff wherever you like?

Seriously, we have 20+ posts and an argument about how to change the oil. Good God I love this car.

2005 S60R GT - Rica Stage II, Phuz DP, CAI, M1 0w-40, VPE Intercooler w/ IMEC GROM Bluetooth
      1992 960 - 225k, old and green - Sold 07/14/12

Quote Originally Posted by aldebaran View Post
      the curves are really beautiful, I couldn't stop touching it.

I usually put in 1.45 gallons of oil.
      2004 S60R GT: Flash Green Atacama

Upcoming projects : PDV Motorsports high strength collar gear for 2004/05 GT transmissions.

Re: Looking for DIY - Oil Change on a S60R (o2k)

Quote, originally posted by o2k »
      I usually put in 1.45 gallons of oil.

Funny, I put 371.20 tablespoons in mine.

2006 S60R - Black Sapphire~Nordkap~GT~iPd Track Spec Sways~TME Springs~TME DP-Exhaust~Bell FMIC~iMIV~E-Codes

Re: Looking for DIY - Oil Change on a S60R (850arrrsaylikepirate)

LOL!!
      2004 S60R GT: Flash Green Atacama

Upcoming projects : PDV Motorsports high strength collar gear for 2004/05 GT transmissions.

Re: Looking for DIY - Oil Change on a S60R (o2k)

Quote, originally posted by o2k »
      LOL!!

I love my HP48GX calculator.

Quote, originally posted by 850arrrsaylikepirate »

Funny, I put 371.20 tablespoons in mine.

LOL! My neighbors would look at me like i was even crazier if they saw me adding oil in TBSP increments.

Tony

2012 XC70 T6 Polestar
      1958 Volvo PV444 - B16B/M4
      Past Bricks: '95 855, '98 V70T5M, '04 V70R 6-speed, '10 XC60, '83 245 Turbo

Re: Looking for DIY - Oil Change on a S60R (Move Over!)

Quote, originally posted by Move Over! »

I use the IPD HD filter wrench and really appreciate it. On prior cars, I used the strap or the normal 'cap type', but several times they slipped due to oil or actually deformed the cartridge. It only takes one smashed knuckle and you will wish you had a good one... I learned the hard way

http://www.ipdusa.com/search.a...rench

+1

'04 V70R 6MT, K&N, IPD HD Upper/Lower Engine Mounts, QBM Strut Brace Conversion, XC90 Bolts, Tinted Tails, VST CF Lip, TME Turboback, Wastegate Tweak, IPD Boost Gauge & Pod, Window Tint, Takspeed Safety Cable and Aluminum Pedals, Repainted Center Console, Heico 18" Volution Vs, General G Max AS-03 tires, IPD HD Sways and Endlinks. Removed Engine Bay Wxstripping (for heat dissipation). Zeckhausen Posi-Quiet Low Dust Brake Pads. SOLD!

so let's hit the high points, shall we?

** use Rhino Ramps
      ** do it after engine has been run and cooled about 20+ minutes (warm, not hot)
      ** place the catch basin a foot past where the plug nut is -- hot oil will shoot several feet past the end of the pan ! Get ready to move it under the hole as flow slows.
      **when you go after the filter cover, oil will go everwhere -- yes, it's an idiotic design-- Volvo hates the environment-- nothing you can do -- have lots of rags handy.
      ** the filter cover should be hand-tight -- if you need a wrench you've over-tightened it on the last change. Never let anyone change your oil.
      ** change the crush washer on the oil plug and the rubber 0-ring on the filter cover, dip your finger in the oil and run it along the new O-ring before installing. hand tighten firmly -- go 'til it stops then ~ 1/4 turn.
      ** check for leaks the next time you park, and check your level after driving 100 mi or so.
      ** while you are doing your oil change, check your tire pressures. 39 psi is the factory recommended pressure.
      ** save the receipt for your oil/filter purchase and write down the date and your milage. keep these data with your owner's manual wallet... it will be worth a lot to (you in resale) the new owner when you sell the car.

Volvo recommends Castrol Syntech 5W30 or 10W30

read your owner's manual !
      read the owner's manual suppliment too ( it has the turbo oil recommendations).

Modified by petew at 10:19 AM 6-25-2009

Re: Looking for DIY - Oil Change on a S60R (petew)

Very civilized PeteW, and good info for a noob.

Re: (850arrrsaylikepirate)

6 qts in the R is too much!

The R's oil quality sensor takes up 0.2 qts of volume which means the R needs 5.8 qts of oil.

LOLLOLOLOLOLOL silly people 6.0 is just fine! .2 of oil is like a "C" hair
      It does not damage any thing and when i poor 6.0 the dip stick level is PIRFECT! LOLOL you guys make me LMFAO!!!
      No more R got a 1995 240sx converted to a Silvia in replacement... Can't say I miss the Volvo
      P.s no more am i Volvo tech... I now am a shop Forman at a high performance shop.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
      Yeah right, he's all happy you called...then a yellow birdie flys by and oh here's a cupcake, btw what were we talking about...

Re: (VolvokidS60R)

Quote, originally posted by VolvokidS60R »

LOLLOLOLOLOLOL silly people 6.0 is just fine! .2 of oil is like a "C" hair
      It does not damage any thing and when i poor 6.0 the dip stick level is PIRFECT! LOLOL you guys make me LMFAO!!!

Dude, 0.2qts is 12.8 tablespoons of extra oil

I love my HP48GX calculator.

TI-85 FTW.

2005 S60R GT - Rica Stage II, Phuz DP, CAI, M1 0w-40, VPE Intercooler w/ IMEC GROM Bluetooth
      1992 960 - 225k, old and green - Sold 07/14/12

Quote Originally Posted by aldebaran View Post
      the curves are really beautiful, I couldn't stop touching it.

Re: Looking for DIY - Oil Change on a S60R (coolbob37)

Quote, originally posted by coolbob37 »

It is 5.8 , 5.5 is worthless.. the car uses 5.8-6.. I put almost 6 in this time and it is perfect.

And I wouldn't take a 1982 Dodge Omni POS that doesn't run to JiffyLube! Those a$$holes are about as dumb as a box of rocks.

Re: (850arrrsaylikepirate)

Dude, 0.2qts is 12.8 tablespoons of extra oil

LOL!!!!
      BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA but you know if you buy 6 qt of oil and por it in you still loose a few .1 from each bottle cause enless you let each bottle drain in there theres still some leftover
      No more R got a 1995 240sx converted to a Silvia in replacement... Can't say I miss the Volvo
      P.s no more am i Volvo tech... I now am a shop Forman at a high performance shop.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
      Yeah right, he's all happy you called...then a yellow birdie flys by and oh here's a cupcake, btw what were we talking about...

Tips:

This car is really easy and clean to change the oil with the right technique.

1) Use Rhino ramps

2) Invest in a wide used oil change tray with the integrated funnel. This alone will eliminate 99% of any mess.

3)Drain the oil first, use new alum. crush washewr and torque drain bolt.

4)Move oil drain tray under the filter. This will catch any of the mess.

Easy Peasy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast