DTC P0420? "Catalyst system below Efficiency Threshold (Bank1)"
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DTC P0420? "Catalyst system below Efficiency Threshold (Bank1)"

CEL came on last night after about 30 minutes of slow driving in a snow storm. PCM Scan reported this:
      P0420 Catalyst system below Efficiency Threshold (Bank1)

I collected some data from vaiours PIDs (MAF, ECT, Lambda, Catemp11, etc) and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

She seems to be running find (feels okay, sounds okay) so anyone know what might cause this DTC?

LTA

2006 S60R 6MT BlackSapph/Atacama, Ferrita3"DP/EST-Catback/BMC/CustomCAI/A-Mist/18"PS2/NAV/iMIV/22mmRearSB/TME Springs (installed, finally! )
      2005 XC90 2.5T - Loaded family hauler
      Gone: '02 S60T5 5MT, '96 850T Wagon

Rear o2 sensor issue.
      Stock 2004 S60r
      Totalled: Stock 1991 Toyota Mr2 w/ 309k miles.
      Current: Turbo 1991 Mr2 w/ 220k Miles & 2013 Scion Iq

Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

Bank 1 is the front sensor, on the manifold.

I'd drive it and see what happens. Might just be due to the cold/wet and a temporary bad signal.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva CBV, Elevate rear swaybar, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Re: (tmtalpey)

Quote, originally posted by tmtalpey »
      Bank 1 is the front sensor, on the manifold.

I'd drive it and see what happens. Might just be due to the cold/wet and a temporary bad signal.

Tom.

Thanks for the clarification, Tom. Bank 1 is the front which is also known as 'Wide Band O2' from a generic OBD2 perspective, which is also where "cattemp11' singal comes from, right? Isn't this O2 sensor located after the turbo and before the cat? (Ie not right on the manifold?) Just want to be clear on this but also asking because I want to collect data from the sensor respnsible for this errant and/or out of spec value (if that's what caused it).

Summing it up, she's running fine and I haven't bothered to clear the DTC. I assume this type of DTC will not clear on it's own, right?

LTA

2006 S60R 6MT BlackSapph/Atacama, Ferrita3"DP/EST-Catback/BMC/CustomCAI/A-Mist/18"PS2/NAV/iMIV/22mmRearSB/TME Springs (installed, finally! )

Re: (LTA)

Same problem here. Using the SVR down pipe. Only started occurring lately. I noticed that the code is thrown only when I rev above 3000rpm when the oil temp has not exceeded 65degC or 149degF...i.e. engine is still cold. No issues once car is properly warmed up.

I take it that the CAT is getting old and running less efficiently or that one of the O2 sensor has seen better days.

No effect on engine performance, but if the code is thrown often enough, I get an engine check light. Never bothered about it as my auterra is able to clear the code.

04 S60R 6MT, Sapphire Black, Atacama
      Mods, Dyno, Pic.

Re: DTC P0420? "Catalyst system below Efficiency Threshold (Bank1)" (LTA)

Quote, originally posted by LTA »
      CEL came on last night after about 30 minutes of slow driving in a snow storm. PCM Scan reported this:
      P0420 Catalyst system below Efficiency Threshold (Bank1)

I collected some data from vaiours PIDs (MAF, ECT, Lambda, Catemp11, etc) and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

She seems to be running find (feels okay, sounds okay) so anyone know what might cause this DTC?

LTA

P0420 = ECM-4801

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information

Condition

The control module continuously checks three-way catalytic converter (TWC) efficiency by comparing signals from the rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) with the front heated oxygen sensor (HO2S). Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-4801 will be stored if the efficiency of the three-way catalytic converter (TWC) deviates too much.

Substitute value
      Rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) control is disabled.

Possible source

-misfiring
      -air leakage in the intake system
      -air leakage in the exhaust system
      -faulty fuel pressure
      -uneven compression
      -defective three-way catalytic converter (TWC).

Fault symptom[s]
      -malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) lit.

2009 S80 V8 AWD Ice White/Sandstone
      2001 S60 2.4t Ash Gold/Charcoal, 201,900 miles SOLD

Re: DTC P0420? "Catalyst system below Efficiency Threshold (EBender1965)

Test
      Quote, originally posted by EBender1965 »

P0420 = ECM-4801

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information

Condition

The control module continuously checks three-way catalytic converter (TWC) efficiency by comparing signals from the rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) with the front heated oxygen sensor (HO2S). Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-4801 will be stored if the efficiency of the three-way catalytic converter (TWC) deviates too much.

Substitute value
      Rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) control is disabled.

Possible source

-misfiring
      -air leakage in the intake system
      -air leakage in the exhaust system
      -faulty fuel pressure
      -uneven compression
      -defective three-way catalytic converter (TWC).

Fault symptom[s]
      -malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) lit.

Wow, thanks for the x-ref on the DTC. Very helpful!

I take it this : "Substitute value
      Rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) control is disabled." means I should clear the DTC to get back to normal for better economy/emmissions control??

Was that x-ref/lookup down with Vadis?

Quote, originally posted by blot »
      Same problem here. Using the SVR down pipe. Only started occurring lately. I noticed that the code is thrown only when I rev above 3000rpm when the oil temp has not exceeded 65degC or 149degF...i.e. engine is still cold. No issues once car is properly warmed up.

I take it that the CAT is getting old and running less efficiently or that one of the O2 sensor has seen better days.

No effect on engine performance, but if the code is thrown often enough, I get an engine check light. Never bothered about it as my auterra is able to clear the code.

Thanks for the info, blot. Glad to know I'm not alone on this one. I'm pretty sure the SVR and Ferrita DP use the same race cat and I think we noth use A-mist (although mine is a 'little' more tame than yours). Contrary to your thoughts I'm thinking the cat might be too efficient (mine has 28K Km/17K miles on it, ie it's not very old). These nice 3" DP with high flowing cat's really get the heat out faster than the stock DP, this could be a big factor.

So I wonder if this means the race cat is fine and simply puts the system outside of expected/OEM paramaters, or if in fact there is a problem with the cat.

LTA

Re: (blot)

Quote, originally posted by blot »
      Same problem here. Using the SVR down pipe.

One thing that OEM engineers have to worry about and that the aftermarket can (perhaps) ignore is cold-start emissions. A lot of engineering is focused on getting some emissions-conversion efficiency out of of the cat as quickly as possible after a cold start. This includes special formulations and attention to the physical dimensions of the exhaust system and "brick".

The aftermarket is only focused on reducing backpressure. These goals can be in conflict. If emissions-convertion efficiency falls below a certain threshold, a CEL will be thrown. It's possible that the poorer cold conversion efficiency of the "race" cats are tripping the cat monitor. The colder the ambient, the more likely this is to occur.

Just guessin'

Re: DTC P0420? "Catalyst system below Efficiency Threshold (LTA)

Was that x-ref/lookup down with Vadis?

LTA

YES!! That is the VADIS Diagnostic Info for that ECM Error Code. VADIS also has the OBD II Cross eferences to their ECM Codes.

2009 S80 V8 AWD Ice White/Sandstone
      2001 S60 2.4t Ash Gold/Charcoal, 201,900 miles SOLD

Re: DTC P0420? "Catalyst system below Efficiency Threshold (EBender1965)

Quote, originally posted by Dyno »

One thing that OEM engineers have to worry about and that the aftermarket can (perhaps) ignore is cold-start emissions. A lot of engineering is focused on getting some emissions-conversion efficiency out of of the cat as quickly as possible after a cold start. This includes special formulations and attention to the physical dimensions of the exhaust system and "brick".

The aftermarket is only focused on reducing backpressure. These goals can be in conflict. If emissions-convertion efficiency falls below a certain threshold, a CEL will be thrown. It's possible that the poorer cold conversion efficiency of the "race" cats are tripping the cat monitor. The colder the ambient, the more likely this is to occur.

Just guessin'

Nice guess Show off

I'm sure you are spot on I was thinking that too but I had some trouble somewhere between the keyboard and the chair

Quote, originally posted by EBender1965 »

YES!! That is the VADIS Diagnostic Info for that ECM Error Code. VADIS also has the OBD II Cross eferences to their ECM Codes.

Brilliant! Never knew all the DTC info is just sitting there waiting. Thanks, will do my own look-up next time.

LTA

I still believe that it is the CAT that is dying. I never had the code with the SVR DP for a good 3.5years, until recently. I just had a look at the internals of the CAT (which is a random tech metal cat), and it looks ok, but I guess the properties of the CAT have deteriorated.
      04 S60R 6MT, Sapphire Black, Atacama
      Mods, Dyno, Pic.

Re: DTC P0420? "Catalyst system below Efficiency Threshold (blot)

As I understand it, cats do "age". They get poisoned by the crap they ingest over the years and efficiency slowly goes down. The OEM engineers have to spec out the cat and set the monitoring thresholds with end-of-life efficiencies in mind. I've never heard of it being a problem in the aftermarket, but...

Re: DTC P0420? "Catalyst system below Efficiency Threshold (Dyno)

Yes, they do and you can read the aging metrics out from the system.

The problem with replacement performance cats is that they are different from the stock cat in their efficiency and response. The rear O2 sensor is a crude instrument, capable only of sensing whether the mixture is "going lean" or "going rich", i.e. it can detect the crossing but not the absolute value.

The front O2 sensor on the other hand can measure the mixture precisely, and that's exactly what it does for the ECU. The ECU uses it for fine control, and the rear one for trending and catalytic converter operation. But, it does this by comparing the front to the back, with values as would be expected from stock hardware. If you change the hardware, you change the response, and if that response wanders out of margin, you get a CEL.

The CEL in itself isn't the problem. The problem is that a) the car will fail inspection since it's signalling a fault and b) the car stops trusting its sensors, meaning it goes into a single-sensor mode (which can't adapt), open-loop mode (which is inefficient and smoggy), or limp mode (which nobody wants). This is why cat selection is so important to a tuner.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva CBV, Elevate rear swaybar, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Re: DTC P0420? "Catalyst system below Efficiency Threshold (tmtalpey)

Back in the day, us kids used to take our parent's hand-me-down cars and imediately slap on a set of headers and glasspacks. Nowadays, it's a chip and a downpipe (with free-flowing cat). It's been a few years now and there must be a lot of cars our there with "race" cats and OBD electronics.

Has anyone heard of catalyst monitoring CEL's showing up after a long period of bliss? Have we uncovered a trend or are these isolated incidents?

This is also the code that you will get from time-to-time if you have no catalytic converter at all (unless you use an O2 extension fitting).I think it just means that the rear sensor is not warming up completely, but the car still runs fine.

P.S. Where are the code tables in VADIS? I never noticed them...

2006 S60R 6MT>>>>>> SOLD on 6/12/10

Re: DTC P0420? "Catalyst system below Efficiency Threshold (jrgoffin)

EPA has demanded that the CEL be lit if the catalyst in missing or not fuctioning properly. There is a bit of software in the ECU that looks at the difference between the pre-cat O2 sensor and the post-cat sensor. If the catalyst is working as it should, there WILL be a difference. There is a limit for how little difference can be tolerated before the CEL comes on.

I don't think we're discussing faulty sensors. In this case, the sensors could be reporting the truth: the cat is not working as expected.

As you correctly state, this is the code you get when use the Sawzall to ditch the cat. This is exactly what the algorithm is trying to detect and exactly what the EPA had in mind when they wrote the regs.

"Running fine" means one thing to us hot-rodders but something very different to your government!

Looks like RalliTECK (IPD) might have the answer: http://www.rallitek.com/rao2sesp.html

Google Search is working well this morning

LTA

I have one of these on my car and have never thrown any codes it was added at the time of install there is a place online that has them for like $10 per other swedespeed members but I don't know the site.
      07 S60R Magic Blue/Gobi loaded with a few extras

Re: DTC P0420? "Catalyst system below Efficiency Threshold (volvosince16)

Quote, originally posted by volvosince16 »
      I have one of these on my car and have never thrown any codes it was added at the time of install there is a place online that has them for like $10 per other swedespeed members but I don't know the site.

volvosince16: You are correct and I think I found the one you're refering to. Is this the one you installed?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAP...n%3D4
      eBay seller is "sfconsignments"

LTA

That should work, well at least not throw a code as long as the B1S2 heater circuit is good. Its considered emissions tamper though.

Basically all those bung extensions do is to pull the rear O2 sensor (or for reference B1S2, there is only one bank in the 5cyl, B1S1 is the front) out of the exhaust stream. By doing this, the rear O2 sensor gives a very low reading of O2 to the ECM which is interpreted as the Catalyst having good efficiency. Remember low O2 reading on the back side of the cat means that all the O2 was used up burning off any HC and CO emissions.
      2005 V70R GT, Silver/Gobi, 97K, OBX Downpipe. FMIC
      2001 XC70 239K

Re: DTC P0420? "Catalyst system below Efficiency Threshold (Oceans60R)

Quote, originally posted by Oceans60R »
      That should work, well at least not throw a code as long as the B1S2 heater circuit is good. Its considered emissions tamper though.

What is considered tamper? The extender?

Basically all those bung extensions do is to pull the rear O2 sensor (or for reference B1S2, there is only one bank in the 5cyl, B1S1 is the front) out of the exhaust stream. By doing this, the rear O2 sensor gives a very low reading of O2 to the ECM which is interpreted as the Catalyst having good efficiency. Remember low O2 reading on the back side of the cat means that all the O2 was used up burning off any HC and CO emissions.

That all makes good sense, thanks. If all the O2 is used up and the ECU sees this too often (ie below factory tolerence levels) does this mean it is more often running on the edge of very clean? Or does it mean that more often than not there was not enough O2 left to deal with the HC and CO which means it's poluting more than a stock cat? Related to concerns about beeing less green would this be more likely to fail an emissions test?

LTA

Tamper means modifying in any way, any emission control device. Its rarely checked by most inspectors but some have an eagle eye. So, yes installing the extender is Emissions Tamper. If used for "Off Road" purposes, its ok and thats how they get around selling them. They work though at keeping the CEL at bay.

[QUOTE=LTA]
      That all makes good sense, thanks. If all the O2 is used up and the ECU sees this too often (ie below factory tolerence levels) does this mean it is more often running on the edge of very clean? Or does it mean that more often than not there was not enough O2 left to deal with the HC and CO which means it's poluting more than a stock cat? Related to concerns about beeing less green would this be more likely to fail an emissions test?

LTA

Yes, Low O2 being seen in the Rear O2 sensor would tell the computer its running very clean and the Catalyst is efficient. The Rear O2 sensor was put into OBDII for the sole purpose of monitoring catalyst efficiency, nothing else. So if it reads low levels of O2, then it thinks the catalyst is working within specs and no CEL.

You could have trouble passing an emissions test if its an IM240 or IM147 or any other Dyno loaded test. Being that the in your current configuration, the catalyst has been determined to be inefficient. Although I would reset the CEL and see if the code returns. Can take a while for that particular monitor to run again. I've seen it sometimes take a month or more for the fault to return.

Possibly you could have a bad weld on the converter and a small amount of O2 is leaking upstream of the B1S2 and causing this CEL. My guess though is the racing Cat is really no doing its job, hence the code.

2001 XC70 239K

volvosince16: You are correct and I think I found the one you're refering to. Is this the one you installed?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAP...n%3D4
      eBay seller is "sfconsignments"

LTA

yeah good information

2015 Dodge Journeyl 2001 V70XC-M66 1998 C70 GT
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance - me

Re: DTC P0420? "Catalyst system below Efficiency Threshold (Oceans60R)

LTA

Looks like I need to purchase one of those, bc i started getting the same code after installing my SVR downpipe a couple months back.
      Follow the latest ELEVATE product developments on facebook www.facebook.com/elevatecars

Re: (B.G.)

Quote, originally posted by B.G. »
      Looks like I need to purchase one of those, bc i started getting the same code after installing my SVR downpipe a couple months back.

Save some $$$ and make your own. Buy either of the two below at Advance Auto, drill one out with 1/2" drill bit. Screw them together and screw on top of the o2 sensor. $4 fix.

^^^^cool thanks man... this goes on the first o2 sensor correct? The one closest to the turbo??
      Follow the latest ELEVATE product developments on facebook www.facebook.com/elevatecars

Re: (B.G.)

^^^^cool thanks man... this goes on the first o2 sensor correct? The one closest to the turbo??

This is a fix for the secondary o2 that monitors after the cat.

Good deal.... its being added to the list of things to do....Thanks again

Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

Does the SVR DP use a Kemira cat?

I know those DP's are not CARB certified but I have to got back and read the fine print because I thought these DP's/cat's were supposed to be 'street legal' and able to pass emissions tests.

Maybe this is not the case?

Has anyone had an emissions test with a Kemira race cat?

Quote, originally posted by xman03 »

Save some $$$ and make your own. Buy either of the two below at Advance Auto, drill one out with 1/2" drill bit. Screw them together and screw on top of the o2 sensor. $4 fix.

Nice find, xman03

Why do you need to drill them out? To make the sensor fit?

I read somehwere that you could use a spark plug extender but could not find them locally. The ones on eBay look just like what you sourced, I'll post back after mine arrives (ordered one yesterday).

Does anyone notice more exhaust smell with their non-OEM DP? Sometimes I feel like I can't drive with the window or sunroof open because of the smell. Is there enough backdraft at the tailpipes to bring the exhuast all the back to the sunroof or driver's window? Or do I need to look for a leak?

I'm starting to think that the smell gets progressivly worse leading up the CEL coming on. For example, I reset the CEL last night and while driving this morning I didn't notice a strong smell. However, leading up to this recent CEL (and with the CEL on) the exhasut smell was strong.

LTA

Re: (LTA)

I'm starting to think that the smell gets progressivly worse leading up the CEL coming on. For example, I reset the CEL last night and while driving this morning I didn't notice a strong smell. However, leading up to this recent CEL (and with the CEL on) the exhasut smell was strong.

LTA

Was it the rotten egg smell?
      In a non-race type Cat (I'm not 100% on what race cat substrate is manufactured of) that smell is usually from depleted or inactive Rhodium.

As long as your Emissions Test is just an OBDII scan and a lazy eyed inspector, you should pass.

If however, its a loaded test you may or may not pass, just depends.

2001 XC70 239K

My SVR downpipe has a random technologies cat on it....

Re: (Oceans60R)

Was it the rotten egg smell?
      In a non-race type Cat (I'm not 100% on what race cat substrate is manufactured of) that smell is usually from depleted or inactive Rhodium.

As long as your Emissions Test is just an OBDII scan and a lazy eyed inspector, you should pass.

If however, its a loaded test you may or may not pass, just depends.

No, it was NOT roten egg smell. I don't know how to explain it other than it smells worse than stock.

As for emmissions testing, the tests we do here (Ontario, Canada) are loaded. I believe the shops use a 120hp dyno.

I'm not too worried about the test because my R is not due for a couple years but I don't like the idea of polluting more than I should be; and although VERY rare, we do have some kind of 'green' police out there enforcing emissions laws at road-side.

LTA

I have got this code 3 times this week.
      I have an OBX DP with Magnaflow race Cat.
      I have an emissions test on Thursday. We'll see how that goes...
      04 V70 2.5T AWD - AUTOTECH | SNABB | OBX | MAGNAFLOW | SNABB | BILSTEIN | EIBACH

You'll be fine.

Edit: thanks for using search first.
      2006 S60R Sonic Blue MT w/Gobi (none of that Nordcrap) SOLD I miss Heidi...
      2004 VW R32 Guess I have a thing for blue R's...
      1996 il rospo My 247,000 mile project car (still on it's first motor)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast