SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

EST intake vs. K+N drop in

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  volvos60t5x 
#1 ·
My mechanic told me that my car ( which currently has est intake) would probably be better off with just a drop in k+n. I think he might be right but I love the sound of the est intake. either way I dont think my car is going to be very much faster. Is it possible that the EST intake could actually show negative hp?

2001 S60 T5---- tme ecu, tme exhaust, ferrita dp, est intake, tme springs, bilstein shocks, qbm strut conv and lower trans mount, poly upper, vdo boost gauge, dubstop grille, TSW hyper black wheels

#2 ·
Re: EST intake vs. K+N drop in (bestT5)

Is it possible, yes. The question would be "how much hot air is the shield for my EST intake actually blocking?" It looks like a good design. I imagine that your not losing any hp, like let's say a short ram that sits next to the block, but you might not be gaining anything either. At that point, you still have that sweet sound.

#3 ·

at stock power levels the chances of actually losing hp is greater (since the stock airbox is not restricting anything at stock levels) then if you're running a tune or other mods.

Actually, the stock air box doesn't become a restriction until you get up past 320hp says Lucky at iPd.

But I own one just for all those pretty wastegate sounds.

#5 ·

Quote, originally posted by bestT5 »
True. I figure either way im not gaining any crazy amount of power. I think the open filter just gets dirty faster. You can use the k&n cleaner and oil for that right?
Yes I use the K&N charger kit with mine.

#6 ·
Quote »
Is it possible that the EST intake could actually show negative hp?

Anything is possible but it is not likely.
1) stock tubing remains in place to vent cool air directly to the filter
2) PHYSICS! Warm air rises and is blown towards the rear of the engine compartment - this is at the front and the shield results in that area filling with cool dense air
3) it has been dyno proven to create HP.

either is a good choice but it is a fallacy that really bothers me about the EST losing power

#7 ·
Re: (Bender)

I have the EST intake and it definately doesnt make you loose power, but it also doesnt gain much either. It does however allow the turbo to spool up a tad quicker and it sounds sweet. Theres also the new Simota carbon charger intake from http://www.partsforvolvoonline.com that has an enclosed design that sucks cool air in from the front air duct. Oh and BTW, it doesnt get dirty faster, ive had mine for 2 years and its still clean.

#8 ·
Re: (Turbos60)

Yea i've had mine for almost 2 years and never cleaned it yet. Its not super dirty but I think it could still use a cleaning. im a little nervous to clean it because i dont want to over or under oil it. I agree that the sound of the intake is really cool. whenever people are in my car for the first time their always like what the hell

#9 ·
i got mine from BSR like 3 years ago, i did dyno runs with and without the filters and the heatshield. It worth for 3.88 hps at the wheels, for me, every pony is great.

#10 ·
Re: (volvos60t5x)

Quote, originally posted by volvos60t5x »
i got mine from BSR like 3 years ago, i did dyno runs with and without the filters and the heatshield. It worth for 3.88 hps at the wheels, for me, every pony is great.
I'd imagine that's with your other mods as well which is probably the reason on the great gain.

#11 ·
Re: (Wagoneer)

Quote, originally posted by Wagoneer »

I'd imagine that's with your other mods as well which is probably the reason on the great gain.
when i did that dyno run my car was stock.

#14 ·

hmm, there was a gain of 3.4whp? Not bad...

Was that compared to the stock paper filter?
tahts correct wagonner, i compared with the stock paper filter with the air box that comes in the car. Then remove it and ran de dyno again with the bsr intake.

#17 ·

that's impressive. You should post the sheets and make everyone stop bitching about EST's or BSR's "hot-air" intakes.
everyone think different. For me it works amazing, and also i love the sound that the intake makes.

#20 ·
Re: (ben032790)

Quote, originally posted by ben032790 »
I have just ordered a pippercross viper induction it looks like it will be alot like the simota kit
post pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.