Inner tread wear - tire replacement needed?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Inner tread wear - tire replacement needed?

I've noticed that my tire's inner tread has worn to the indicator mark. However the rest of my tire is actually still pretty good. How dangerous is it to drive on a tire that its inner tread is worn down to the indicator mark but the rest of the tire hasn't worn down to that indicator mark yet?

Re: Inner tread wear - tire replacement needed? (smartytai)

Quote, originally posted by smartytai »
      I've noticed that my tire's inner tread has worn to the indicator mark. However the rest of my tire is actually still pretty good. How dangerous is it to drive on a tire that its inner tread is worn down to the indicator mark but the rest of the tire hasn't worn down to that indicator mark yet?

Sounds like you need a rear camber kit. Its ok to do, but only if you get the camber kit so the wear isnt focuses on the inner tires like it is, if you keep driving them as is, your just asking to have a blow out.

Re: Inner tread wear - tire replacement needed? (S40T5TurboGT)

I got the camber kit from Viva performance, after my rear tires had 8mm tread on the outside but were down to the wear bars and loud on the inside.

after having them installed it looks like the alignment specs improved like 0.5 dec (thought it would be more )

installer said, they're "within specs" btw, before the adj. arms, they were within specs ,

what do I need to tell the next guy?

For Sale, my 05 V50 T5 $11,900 obo. Colorado Springs !
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...lorado-Springs

Re: Inner tread wear - tire replacement needed? (V50_T5)

Quote, originally posted by V50_T5 »
      I got the camber kit from Viva performance, after my rear tires had 8mm tread on the outside but were down to the wear bars and loud on the inside.

after having them installed it looks like the alignment specs improved like 0.5 dec (thought it would be more )

installer said, they're "within specs" btw, before the adj. arms, they were within specs ,

Tell em you want them to sit FLAT on the road, not angled out
      No one ever said spec was correct anyways.

Re: Inner tread wear - tire replacement needed? (S40T5TurboGT)

um there is no such thing as flat on the ground unless you are talking 0 camber. You need -.5 rear at the least. front you need -1.0 at least, but since the front are not adjustable you out of luck chuck.

Re: Inner tread wear - tire replacement needed? (smartytai)

Could be a bad tire. Check to see if the tire on the other side looks the same. If it is it is likely alignment, unless it's a front position and you drive aggressively (but then, it is typical, but not necessarily, that the outside ribs wear more in this case.)

You are justified to have the alignment checked.

Rotate the tires if you haven't already. (You didn't say how many miles were on them.)

You don't want the wear to reach the cords, as said above. Traction & handling will be degraded, but this happens even as tires wear "normally", so this "uneven" wear isn't the end of the world in normal driving.

Re: Inner tread wear - tire replacement needed? (steve909)

he has springs, it ain't the tire, we all know the car can't take any drop, even stock my car is at -2.1 rear which is MORE then enough to kill the inside of the tire even if you drove like you stole it every single day.

Re: Inner tread wear - tire replacement needed? (V50_T5)

Quote, originally posted by V50_T5 »

tell them to change camber to as close to zero as possible (within specs) if tire wear is your main concern.

to the OP, if you continue to drive your car when the inside is at the wear bars (and the outsides are fine) then you risk your tire failing at the inside (while your outsides will be fine )

i used to have a civic with -2 camber and i wore the inside to the metal cords (outside was fine). even the trip to the tire shop was scary

i wouldn't run the inside of the tires past the wear bar... i've seen ppl with lowered cars running on tires that are bald on the inside.. the tire will blow eventually... just flip them... L to R and R to L... wear out the other side!

Re: (turboah)

Quote, originally posted by turboah »
      i wouldn't run the inside of the tires past the wear bar... i've seen ppl with lowered cars running on tires that are bald on the inside.. the tire will blow eventually... just flip them... L to R and R to L... wear out the other side!

just make sure there not directional rotation tires meaning there only made to spin in one direction

Re: (s40kid)

Unfortunately, mine are directional. Oh well. I'm planning to install the rear camber kit so will probably get new tires. Thanks for the info guys.

Re: (smartytai)

Quote, originally posted by smartytai »
      Unfortunately, mine are directional. Oh well. I'm planning to install the rear camber kit so will probably get new tires. Thanks for the info guys.

make sure b4 u thow out the old tires, you have some fun and beat them to the ground. if FWD. normal burnouts and E-slides FTW