Front Lower Control Arm Bushings
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Front Lower Control Arm Bushings

So i cant get my new tires aligned because I need new front Lower control arm bushings. I am going to have this handled through my third party extended warranty. My question is whether there are any aftermarket performance bushings available. If they are in a equal price point I may be able to get my warranty company to replace with them...............thanks for the help in advance guys.
      2004 Volvo S60R 6MT, Titanium/Gobi. R-Kelly CAI, Llumar 20% Tint, IPD F&R EndLinks, UEM, LTM, HDTCV, QBM LTM, K&N Filter, IMIV LEII w integrated Dash Mount for Motorola Droid (with Google Nav), Elevate F&R Sways

Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushings (ClemsonS60R)

I just had the Powerflex ones installed.....

Theyre not even close to being OEM drop in installtion with the Press..

You have to remove the Old bushing.

Reuse the Rod inside, and the outer Sleeve.

Then Grab the ruber bushing.... Press in the Old CLEANED rod..and the Old CLEANED Sleeve, and mash it all together. Then Shove the whole thing into the control arm.

BUT! The rod has to be aligned properly since, it blots onto the subframe.

Its not fun.

Stock 2004 S60r
      Totalled: Stock 1991 Toyota Mr2 w/ 309k miles.
      Current: Turbo 1991 Mr2 w/ 220k Miles & 2013 Scion Iq

Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushings (ClemsonS60R)

The dealership will push the replacement of the entire control arm. The time, effort, and tools required to push out the new bushing and put in the new one are more than just replacing the entire arm.

I actually have a set of powerflex bushing for my control arms sitting around. I tried to do it myself, but when I went to unbolt the control arm, I could not find room because the oil pan was in the way...

If you want aftermarket bushings, it is going to be expensive, more so than just replacing the entire arm with another one.

If someone else has experience, please chime in.

14 Subaru Forester: White/Tan
      13 Subaru Crosstrek: Orange/Black.
      Past: (3) S60Rs, 06 XC90, 05 XC70 (the Battle Wagon!), a couple of 854s, a manual swapped/slammed/19T'd 855 T-5R...

Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushings (GiRaff3)

i need control arm bushings as well...
      dealer says $670 parts and labor... dodging pot holes like a champ untill those funds are available.

found complete control arms with bushings for about $165 each...can't remember where right this second...IPD, Viva...something.
      I have a call into the dealer asking the labor to replace the arms only. I will post if i get a response.

Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushings (Chappy)

Quote, originally posted by Chappy »
      i need control arm bushings as well...
      dealer says $670 parts and labor... dodging pot holes like a champ untill those funds are available.

found complete control arms with bushings for about $165 each...can't remember where right this second...IPD, Viva...something.
      I have a call into the dealer asking the labor to replace the arms only. I will post if i get a response.

You can find the arms all over the place. The labor will be key...

Past: (3) S60Rs, 06 XC90, 05 XC70 (the Battle Wagon!), a couple of 854s, a manual swapped/slammed/19T'd 855 T-5R...

i got a quote from European Performance here in St. Petersburg, FL for $449 to replace the bushings including full alignment. I am broke though. I am thoroughly investigating the idea of taking it apart myself and taking it to a machine shop to unpress the old and press the new bushing in for me.....I am broke and I like working on my car too so if it can save me 200-250 bucks or so
      2004 Volvo S60R 6MT, Titanium/Gobi. R-Kelly CAI, Llumar 20% Tint, IPD F&R EndLinks, UEM, LTM, HDTCV, QBM LTM, K&N Filter, IMIV LEII w integrated Dash Mount for Motorola Droid (with Google Nav), Elevate F&R Sways

Re: (ClemsonS60R)

Quote, originally posted by ClemsonS60R »
      i got a quote from European Performance here in St. Petersburg, FL for $449 to replace the bushings including full alignment. I am broke though. I am thoroughly investigating the idea of taking it apart myself and taking it to a machine shop to unpress the old and press the new bushing in for me.....I am broke and I like working on my car too so if it can save me 200-250 bucks or so

i tried to remove the control arms and do everything myself, but the oil pan is blocking a few of the bolts...

so what did you do? can you remove the oil pan. I have a VADIS DVD that i got from ebay months ago and never used but i just tried and the code it came with is wrong WTF will any code legit code work?

so what did you do? can you remove the oil pan. I have a VADIS DVD that i got from ebay months ago and never used but i just tried and the code it came with is wrong WTF will any code legit code work?

I just didn't do it and they are still bad

I have removed my oil pan before, which is not that hard, but putting it back on is a bit of a challenge. Removing the old gasket, applying a new one, and seating it right suck.

could anyone send me the VADIS scans for removing the struts, lower control arm and oil pan? My damn DVD wont work

dont remove the oil pan!!! what a waste of time!
      here is a quick trick of the trade...
      1)Remove the ball joint nut
      2)seperate the balljoint from lowercontrol arm
      3) Unbolt the lowercontrol arm bolt that runs up and down (there is only 1)
      4) losten the 2 bolts that go thru the subframe that bolt directly to the bushing
      5) working the control arm back and forth you can keep the clearance exactly the same on the side of the oil pan but move the lower control arm away from the subframe (rotor/balljoint side)
      completely eliminating any hassle of oil pans!

Re: (PSAC)

Quote, originally posted by PSAC »
      dont remove the oil pan!!! what a waste of time!
      here is a quick trick of the trade...
      1)Remove the ball joint nut
      2)seperate the balljoint from lowercontrol arm
      3) Unbolt the lowercontrol arm bolt that runs up and down (there is only 1)
      4) losten the 2 bolts that go thru the subframe that bolt directly to the bushing
      5) working the control arm back and forth you can keep the clearance exactly the same on the side of the oil pan but move the lower control arm away from the subframe (rotor/balljoint side)
      completely eliminating any hassle of oil pans!

Mika has a writeup that is pretty sweet. It involves lifting the engine so the bolts clear the oil pain

link to the writeup? man that is exactly what i need.

Modified by ClemsonS60R at 1:11 PM 4-23-2008

link to the writeup. man that is exactly what i need.

http://turbobil.com/SMF/index.php?topic=31.0

Mika

Re: (GiRaff3)

tough guy with your pictures and whatnot

Re: (PSAC)

Quote, originally posted by PSAC »
      tough guy with your pictures and whatnot

doesnt look fun but if i can save $3-400 of labor ill do it.....im getting an alignment as soon as im done anyways

Re: (ClemsonS60R) ( Good Luck ) Dammmm that a Lot of Work !

Sure Sounds Like a Lot of Work .

( Tell Me Why hasn't anybody come out with a Complete Alu.

Lower Control Arm , Still in Year 2000-2008 is - Volvo Still Using, Stamped
      Steel and Welding Units Halfs Together ?

Also Seems Like they could make them a lot more Aero-Dymanic .

Lighter would be at the Top of the List - ( VW's ) have Alu. Control Arms !

One thing that blows my mind about people on this site is everyone talks about not skimping on cheap parts and blah blah blah but it always seems like those same people dont do any work on their cars themselves...

I have an expensive car yes and I like to do any work that I can myself because I like working on cars.

One thing that blows my mind about people on this site is everyone talks about not skimping on cheap parts and blah blah blah but it always seems like those same people dont do any work on their cars themselves...

I have an expensive car yes and I like to do any work that I can myself because I like working on cars.

We'll, changing out a control arm can definatly be done DIY....

But pressing out the busing to use a "quality" part like Powerflex would require much more experience and tools to do the job.

Stock 2004 S60r
      Totalled: Stock 1991 Toyota Mr2 w/ 309k miles.
      Current: Turbo 1991 Mr2 w/ 220k Miles & 2013 Scion Iq

Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

I am replacing the bushings with XC90 bushings. they are a firmer compound. direct fit according to IPD. What would the cost of a bushing press tool be? or what would an independent charge to remove the old bushings and press in the new ones? I would prefer to just purchase a tool

I am replacing the bushings with XC90 bushings. they are a firmer compound. direct fit according to IPD. What would the cost of a bushing press tool be? or what would an independent charge to remove the old bushings and press in the new ones? I would prefer to just purchase a tool

I am going to remove the control arms, cut/beat out the old bushing and the metal casing (w/o damaging the actual control arm), lube up the control arm, and use a vice/rubber mallet. I also have access to some beefy C clamps.

Put it this way:
      Putting in OEM style bushings is going to be HARD w/o damaging them.
      Putting in powerflex gives you a bit more room for error.

Re: (GiRaff3)

The OEM control arms are aluminum. I'd recommend OEM. Stay very far away from the chinese ones (can't remember the brand name).

Re: (JAGMAN)

Just out of curiosity, what kind of mileage do your cars have that require new bushings?

Re: (pino)

72000. 04 model

why would the OEMs be hard to get in w/o damaging? as long as i dont beat the poop out of them like you are describing haha

where can you get the powerflex i dont see them listed on VIVA? and what was the price on them. do they have the front and rear bushings for the front lower control arms?

Banner Advertiser George @ ViVA's Avatar

where can you get the powerflex i dont see them listed on VIVA? and what was the price on them. do they have the front and rear bushings for the front lower control arms?

http://www.vivaperformance.com...d=389

Re: (George @ ViVA)

Mine is getting close to needing them @ 69K miles.

Price of 4 new XC90 spec control arm bushings - $110 via IPD
      Price of new steering stops while im at it cuz mine are worn - $30 via IPD
      Getting both control arms off the car, both rear bushings replaced, and not being able to get the fronts out because of the angle without a hydraulic press, so i take them to a shop to unpress/press while my car sits on jackstands overnight........priceless

the feeling of satisfaction in knowing this is a pain in the butt but that i enjoy the experience earned and the money saved.....priceless

You dont have to remove the oil pan to take the control arm bushings off. I usually get all four bushings done with alignment in about an hour. Its obviously easier with the right tools. If you're gonna DIY remove the control arm with a offset boxend wrench take both control arm bushings to the dealer and have them press them out for you. When customers bring it to my dealer with just the arms I only charge them 1 hour of labor which is 95 bucks. the bushings only cost 130 for all four. So you're pretty much saving 3-400 dollars. its well worth doing it on your OWN if you're tight on money

i guess if you work in a shop all the time you could get it done but 1 hour!? damn son

i suppose after doing it numerous times i could do it faster

all 4 bushings are $110 from IPD.......and thats for the XC90 "uprated" bushings (just better rubber than the Rs stock bushing)

got my car back from Midas for an alignment (only place that could do it today and only 64.99). they used a computerized thing to do it so i had a printout and i got zero degrees of rear toe as everyone on here recommends. the mechanic made the comment "whoever put on your new suspension did a good job with the bushings and control arms." HAHA that was me! ended up saving about $240 or so from what it would of costed at the european indie i went to plus i got XC90 uprated bushings (and he had quoted me for just the front bushings i replaced all four)

job well done in my book. plus now i got more automotive mechanical skill to add to my knowledge.