P1618, P0735... Transmission... HEAVY vibration & lots of slipping
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

P1618, P0735... Transmission... HEAVY vibration & lots of slipping

noticed this just before taking it into the body shop for rear end collision

heavy vibration when accelerating (mostly low RPMs), and lots of slipping... just before i took my car in, there was slight vibration, definately noticeable, but definately not as bad as it is currently (and i don't remember it slipping before)...

shift light is flashing, and CEL is set with the codes in title...

i forget what he called it, but somebody suggested it could be [what is essensially] the gear position sensor...

will be pushing my beat ass cutlass in the meantime, but trying to plan for the worst.

whats up?

Modified by bdimag at 12:57 PM 5-5-2008

Brian
      240 Brickerator
      S60 2.5T

Those codes are usually the PNP switch or the ABS module.

yes, i was researching and saw somebody suggesting both of those...

re: abs,

I have heard clicking when braking - rare, but has happened... i've also felt clicking on the brake pedal (though it may not be audible), more so than i hear it..

----

also: when at full stop, and easing off the brake pedal, the car shakes a bit.

i meant to post this before too:

P0735 is Gear 5 incorrect shift ratio...

i left my car with my friend over the weekend who used his scantool to get all the info... he cleared the codes and they didn't come back for him... i babied the car home and the lights came back on for me... i'm thinkin they lit when i made it to 5th gear

Modified by bdimag at 1:12 PM 5-5-2008

Brian
      240 Brickerator
      S60 2.5T

i'm pretty sure this is what dude was pointing at... pretty sure he said MLPS, but isn't that the nuetral safety switch? same thing? sounds like it.. going to do the back and forth 20 times to clean the contacts... been reading around for the past 4 hours but still looking for advice!

any idea if the '98s are the same as the '02s?

thanks!!!

Modified by bdimag at 3:48 PM 5-5-2008

Brian
      240 Brickerator
      S60 2.5T

Re: (bdimag)

P1618 VOLVO Wiring cable fault between AW TCM and ECM (MIL lamp lights)
      P0735 VOLVO Incorrect gear ratio 5th gear.

The first code indicates a failure to communicate between the TCM and ECM, chances are wiring related or a failed module.

The second code indicates the transmission is slipping internally, specifically around 5th gear, and usually means the trans is toast.

However with your car recently being in an accident all bets are off. You could have pinched wires, shorted something out, or simply have a bad transmission.

If the car wasn't like this before, I think I would go back and have a conversation with the body shop and see if they are aware of any issues that might contribute to this type of trans behavior.

Re: (Ipd-Lucky)

Quote, originally posted by Ipd-Lucky »
      P1618 VOLVO Wiring cable fault between AW TCM and ECM However with your car recently being in an accident all bets are off. You could have pinched wires, shorted something out, or simply have a bad transmission.

there was no front end damage

also, it not as noticable when the car has sat for a day

Modified by bdimag at 3:08 PM 5-6-2008

Brian
      240 Brickerator
      S60 2.5T

I understand, but if the car was put on a frame rack and something got pinched on the fastening points up front it could be an issue. Perhaps the rear damage was minor...

Point is, if the car has sustained any damage and suddenly a problem presents itself that wasn't there before, occam's razor certainly applies (the answer with the least amount of assumptions is usually the correct one).

Otherwise, start tracing wiring to find the P1618 fault and then get ready to replace the transmission for the P0735 fault.

how can i find out exactly which transmission i have? its a 5 speed auto... i'm seein this around: "up to trans # 99GW528665" is that the aw50-42?

Modified by bdimag at 11:56 PM 5-6-2008
      Brian
      240 Brickerator
      S60 2.5T

That looks like a transmission serial number... you'll have to look around on it for the location and see. Likely when there's a warning like that, they changed some component mid-run.

thanks for the help so far..

let me comment on what you said about P0735 - it is slipping in any gear when accelerating, and is fine once it gets moving.. haven't really takin it to 5th gear, trying to not to drive it..

also, no frame damage, so no frame rack... and no repairs have been made, this problem became serious on the drive home from the shop...

are there any sensors somewhat in the open that could be damaged by water if i didn't have a splash gaurd on for the past 6 months?

and finally, will a 5sp auto from a 2000 V70R drop in w/ minimal or no problems?

Modified by bdimag at 10:12 AM 5-8-2008

Brian
      240 Brickerator
      S60 2.5T

Re: P1618, P0735... Transmission... HEAVY vibration & lots of slipping (bdimag)

Lucky, can you find me a wiring diagram for the TCM & ECM?
      Brian
      240 Brickerator
      S60 2.5T

Re: P1618, P0735... Transmission... HEAVY vibration & lots of slipping (bdimag)

I'm out of the office until next Tues, but if you shoot me an email to lucky@ipdusa.com I can send you back a wiring diagram.

i sent you an email, but i also found the motherload of wiring diagramsm online... thanks though...

btw i tried disconnecting the abs, for the hell of it... isn't that.. and after the test drive the trasmission wouldn't catch at all... had to have some people push me into the driveway...

and so i don't miss the opportunity, i'm sending off $75 for a 150k mile trasmission, which is leaving the west coast on saturday.. pick it up at carlisle in my cutlass if need be

still tryin stuff, just don't have any time anymore.

Brian
      240 Brickerator
      S60 2.5T

Gotcha,
      Care to share this mother load of wiring diagrams

Let me know if you need anything else!

emailed...

and believe me, you'll be hearing more from me

Brian
      240 Brickerator
      S60 2.5T

No prob, I'm here to serve!

Re: (Ipd-Lucky)

Can you tell me what code P1618 converts to?

and do you have a conversion table? the one i have is for 850 - doesn't even have P0735 although i already found that one.

edit: is it ECM-530D?

Brian
      240 Brickerator
      S60 2.5T

P1618 VOLVO Wiring cable fault between AW TCM and ECM (MIL lamp lights)

Volvo code ECM 530-D

Condition

This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) indicates whether there are one or more emission related diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) stored in the automatic transmission control module (TCM). Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-530D is stored if this control module requests that the engine management system lights the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)

Substitute value
      none

Possible source

-one or more diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) stored in automatic transmission control module (TCM).

Fault symptom[s]
      -varies depending on which diagnostic trouble code (DTC) has been stored.

so, is there a way to have the codes read from the TCM without taking the car in?

remove the tcm?

i'm gonna do as much as i can on friday... the P0735 in vadis gives some good fault tracing steps... some of it pointing (again) to the gear shift posision sensor..

it seems the 1618 means absolutely nothing... just that there is a code stored in the TCM... correct?

Modified by bdimag at 1:43 PM 5-14-2008

Brian
      240 Brickerator
      S60 2.5T

To read TCM codes you'll need a tool with that capability. VIDA, PC-retriver or Autologic are all capable of reading the TCM so either the dealership or a well equipped independent should be able to help you.

Correct, P1618 means the TCU is requesting the CEL to be turned on. ECM in response posts a code which basically says "HEY, TCU has a problem he wants to tell you about, go talk to him"

i've been slackin on this... been pimped the 240 but now i want to do some work on that and need the c70 as a backup lol..

(and i'm sorry - i lost our IM conversation)

so, being that the differential setup is different on the v70r tranny (oops, duh: awd), can i 'splice' the two trannys? basically taking the setup from the old tranny and incorporating that into the new one (both being aw550-50).... new axle seal? is that p/n 1377060?

or even easier - what are the chances of it being just the torque converter? can i swap those around? valve bodies?

also curious if i can read the codes from ecm/tcm while most of the car is in pieces (including the tranny being out)...??? something maybe i shoulda done beforehand

and lastly, how specific would those codes be? could they be telling me the torque converter is F'ed?

thanks again!

Brian
      240 Brickerator
      S60 2.5T

Some of the parts will be interchangeable, others will not.

The axle seal is 6843112 Drivers and 9495018 Passenger side for your trans.
      The V70 R trans uses the same part number on the drivers side but different on the passenger side due to the angle gear and the different style CV shaft used.

Torque converter failure is not too common and wouldn't explain the code you've been getting for communication.

Reading TCU codes will require that the TCU is still connected to the harness and can be powered up via the ignition key turned on.