SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

OEM Volvo iPod Adapter vs. iMIV vs. iPd

9K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  inteller 
#1 ·
Hello Audio Gurus,

It has been forever since I've posted on Swedespeed! I have a bunch of questions on various iPod adapters, and I was wondering if anyone out there can answer some of these questions or share their experiences?

I have a '02 S60 with HU-613 with no NAV or MELBUS preparation and I wish to play audio, display song titles, and charge my iPod Video 30GB (5th Generation, SW Version 1.3).

I know there are 3 adapters out there... the OEM Volvo, the iMIV, and the iPd.

OEM Volvo Adapter
Part Number: 30775950
~ $150?
All I know is that Volvo discontinued selling this iPod adapter after Apple updated the software on their iPods... Can anyone shine any light on this adapter? Is it like a CD Changer? Is it usable or should I avoid this adapter completely?

Front Mount Package - iMIV LE
$199.95
I know this adapter is very popular in the Swedespeed community... it offers Audio from iPod/iPhone, iPod/iPhone Charging, and Title Display on Radio... Can anyone share their experiences with this adapter? What does the display look like on the HU?

iPd 3E6000 iPod Adapter
$149.95
I know it charges the iPod, and has AUX input, is like a CD Changer... Can anyone share their experiences with this adapter? Do songs appear as Track 01, Track 02, etc.?

Thank you so very much in advance!!! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Go look at this...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...Audio-USB-MP3-interface-review&highlight=grom

Didnt look very deep, dont know if it will work on your '02 or not, but people in the R forum are saying good things about it. I believe the iMiv is the only thing out there that will display info on the HU - I could be wrong, but I think thats true. Also, the iMiv is not available again until the last week in November since they are retooling for Apple's Mfi program.

Good luck.

J

#3 ·
the GROM unit will work on ANY HU-*** radio and the unit works really good for the money. After learning how to remove my HU-850 install was a breeze. My NAV isn't working at the moment but I don't know if that was error on my part or the GROM unit since I haven't been able to pull the head unit out again. Hopefully a wire just came unplugged.

#4 ·
I have the iMIV Classic purchased this past Spring for about USD 250.00 (including longer cables, generic power cord), installed on my 08 S60. I LOVE IT!

I'd researched alternatives, but the iMIV is the only adapter that allowed screen displays, easily connected to my VOLVO HU650 head, could be controlled through the steering wheel controls, and can charge my iPod (Touch gen 2). All of which were important to me. Similar adapters cost about the same, but didn't offer the same functionality. (The salesman for one of them even remarked that he wasn't aware of any adapter that could be controlled through the steeriing wheel controls.)

Set up is easy. As easy as the documentation says, as hard as that is to believe. :) You will need to find a place in the passenger compartment to mount it, and that may require drilling a hole for the cable. (I will drill the bottom of the center console and route the cable under the carpet to the trunk where I've mounted the iMIV.)

Suppor staff at iMIV is friendly, courteous, and helpful. I had to call them when I couldn't manage to perform the software installation for playing the iMIV through (and instead of) the satellite radio channel. (I don't have satellite radio.) You can install through other channels as well. For an additional charge the nice folks at iMIV will pre-load the other optional installations for you.

They have a configuration selection wizard to help pick the iMIV right for your vehicle and radio. and will help if you ask them.

Songs appear as titles, but you have to label the playlists specially in your iPod so the iMIV will recognize them. (This information is available in the users guide on their site.)

I say go the extra few $$ and get the iMIV Classic. You'll be glad you did.

#5 ·
If displaying track info on the HUD is a top concern I think IMIV is your only choice.

I've heard mixed reviews about the USA spec adapter that you can get from IPD and Crutchfield but I don't have first hand experience with them so I'll leave that to someone else.

If you can do without displaying the track name I would definitely recommend checking out the GROM that was mentioned above. I got one a few weeks ago for the cost of the USA Spec adapter and it allows you to hook up an iPod, in addition to having an aux input, and a USB input that can be used to play from a USB stick or a hard drive. The usb input also makes updates easy.

#6 ·
curious, does anyone know if there is a way to tap an AUX port from the back of the HU-850? I'm all out of inputs otherwise.

#7 ·
From looking at the back of mine I don't think there is.

#8 ·
ok thanks, I'll just live with Phatbox and Sirius.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.