SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Am I crazy....

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  spinall4 
#1 ·
or do you guys notice a jump in performance after an oil change?

I just seem to notice better throttle response & more "seat of your pants" performance after doing an oil change.

I'm being serious, it's kinda weird.

#6 ·
Maybe I feel better about mashing the pedal with fresh oil, rather than when I know the oil needs changing :D

I do notice slightly better gas mileage.. especially since I switched over to Rotella T6. Nothing major... just a couple mpg's better (measured by setting cruise control to the same MPH on the same stretch of freeway to work... everyday)

Placebo Effect.
LOL, yeah.. probably right. It does feel good to drain that dark dirty oil from the crank case & re-fill it w/ golden synthetic goodness!

Fresh clay bar and wax is good for 15hp!
All joking aside.. I'm definitely due for a good detailing. Just waiting for a nice, somewhat warm overcast day.

#9 ·
Maybe I feel better about mashing the pedal with fresh oil, rather than when I know the oil needs changing :D

I do notice slightly better gas mileage.. especially since I switched over to Rotella T6. Nothing major... just a couple mpg's better (measured by setting cruise control to the same MPH on the same stretch of freeway to work... everyday)

LOL, yeah.. probably right. It does feel good to drain that dark dirty oil from the crank case & re-fill it w/ golden synthetic goodness!
A few MPG is pretty major if you ask me. I have never noticed an MPG increase with fresh oil. Since the idea of oil is to change it before it becomes ineffective, you shouldn't be noticing that much unless you ran some crap oil or ran it 10k miles.

#10 ·
LOL... I try do them every 4000 miles, but went 4500 miles between this one & the last. It tends to work out to whenever the "Low Oil" indicator comes on after an oil change. When that message comes on, I just change the oil. This last time I didn't have the time, so just threw another quart in until I could get to it.

#13 ·
I'm sure you're right. The average MPG always seems way too low though. I don't do all that much city driving. A couple blocks off the freeway to the parking garage by my office, and I live about a 1/2 mile from the freeway. I cruise to & from work w/ very little speed variation for traffic getting 27-30mpg's (again.. going off the real-time monitor). My avg MPG's never seem to get above 20. I'll fill my tank, clear all my MPG data, drive to work showing 27-30mpg's (real-time), park my car in the parking garage, and the Avg. MPG is like 19.6... even though for 20 out of the 21 miles I just drove I was getting more than 26MPG's. It doesn't seem right.

#14 ·
Only way to be sure is to do the old fashioned algebra method. Miles driven divided by gallons the next time you fill up.

Even with the little bit of city driving, I believe the numbers. These cars really suck with city MPG. My old 850 was the same way. Around 26mpg highway and 14mpg city. I always averaged about 17mpg.

#16 ·
:D

#17 ·
#22 ·
Hmmmm, anyone tried this in an R? The reviews seem 50/50 in terms of results. Seems like results might be car-dependent.

#18 ·
i feel its faster after a good wash and wax and a oil change. NOW try 100 octane. a full tank of it every 5-6 months with a cool night in the high 50's low 60's tell me its not a night an day

#19 ·
You own an R, so the answer is, "Undoubtedly".

#21 ·
I would think that older.. broken down oil loses some of it's lubricating properties & therefore increases friction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.