SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2010 S80 AC Bad Smell

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  itwontstopsnowin 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've never posted in this forum before but I pay attention to the R and S60 forums a lot.

Our 2010 S80 3.2 has a very bad odor when you turn on the AC, any ideas as what may be the culprit?

Thanks

#3 ·
Cabin air filter?

#4 ·
Had the same problem with my 2010 S80 and was told it was the blower/evaporator in the A/C that was disengaged for some reason. The dealer turned it back on and the smell went away. I guess if this is turned off and you are using your car in warmer climates the condensation in the evaporator will just sit there when you turn your car off and then start to smell. When you turn your A/C on you will get a funky smell. Talk to the dealer and ask them about this. Worked for me!!

#5 ·
You need the afterblow function turned on via a vida software download. It's defaulted to off from the factory. Some models/years its on at the factory.

If during the last driving cycle, the ac was on for more then approx 5 mins, afterblow will turn on approximately 40 minutes after the ignition was turned off. It turns on the interior fan on high for approx 10 min to dry out any residual moisture in the ducts to prevent mold from ever forming. It's the first function I had turned on under the warranty.

As far as the smell: bring the car to the dealer if you are under warranty. They have methods to clean out the system. Then be sure to ask to have "afterblow" activated. Nothing new, Volvo has had the feature avail for a while now. Works great to prevent the smell in the first place.

#6 ·
You need the afterblow function turned on via a vida software download. It's defaulted to off from the factory. Some models/years its on at the factory.
I did this with VIDA/DICE on my R but it seems both my newer S80 and XC70 do not actually have afterblow capability available (I can't find it in VIDA/DICE when hooked up to them)...?

#7 ·
Yep, it's hit and miss with the models that can have it turned on via vida/dice without a software download. I turned it on in my R as well.

The 07+ S80's need a software download to have it activated. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's the way it is. There is definitely an area in vida that will tell you if the function has been "installed" or not, but software is definitely needed on our cars.

#8 ·
A good way to handle this funky AC smell is to run the blower full blast and spray some foot odor spray into the fresh air intake for the cabin outside of the car. Just an old trick.

#9 · (Edited)
Or jam a few of these puppies in there for a more long term answer...

Actually, the foot funk spray isn't a bad idea.

Original poster: Is your car under warranty? If so, drop that sucker off.

I lemon law'd a car for mold in the ac ducts. It was a Mitsubishi Diamanté vr-x. (Yes, I know, but the vr-x trim looked pretty sweet!) Boy, you wanna talk about sh!tty build quality. Holy moly...

In fact, that was the last car we've owned that wasn't a Volvo.

Anyway, after a few months, the car started smelling funky. Dealer acknowledged the issue each of the 5 times it went in. They did frigi fresh over and over again, but the root issue couldn't be fixed; that the condensation in the ducts wasn't drying out due to poor venting.

Both my kids have chronic asthma. They weren't able to ride in that car anymore.

Volvo has gone to great lengths to ensure their interiors provide extremely "clean" environments. Not just for the ductwork, but ALL of the interior components, including the dash material! Add the IAQS option and the air quality is amazing. I call my daughter the "sensor". Her coughing can literally stop when she gets in the car. Volvo interiors (along with proper meds obviously) have given her tremendous relief from her symptoms.

Get afterblow activated so the ducts are dried out property. Makes a big difference.

#10 ·
After years of tolerating the smell from the AC, the dealer suggested activating the afterblow which they told me is turned off at the factory because of complaints of it running batteries down. If the voltage is low, however, it will not come on. In any event, it made a HUGE difference in my case and I live in Phoenix where the AC is on a lot and contrarty to what you hear, in the summer, it is not a dry heat.

#11 ·
Check the drain before you spend any money on anything else. The AC drain in S80 has a peculiar check valve that can stuck and do not allow water out. Cut a part of it out, and I predict with a probability of 99% that your problem is solved.

#12 ·
My '01 S60 has the afterblow feature from the factory.
But my '09 S80 does not, and it had some oder when I bought it in Jan.
I have used one can of the de-odorizer sold specifically for A/C systems.
2-3 applications of spraying it directly into the intake areas at the corners of the windshield.
It works in my humid environment.
Cabin filter was changed by dealer before 37K miles.
S'V'13

#13 ·
Does anybody know if the afterblow is a parameter that can be changed with VIDA, or is a software download necessary? I'd like to activate it in mine if it's just a simple settings change in VIDA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.