SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

torque setting on axle bolt?

18K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  tonydee 
#1 ·
Have a 01 s60 front wheel drive and I recently had someone rebuild my axle and he said it was fine and replaced the boots and regreased it. Now the car makes a lot of noise going through the gears and it seems to be the axle that I just got back, since these noises wern't there before. Anyone know what the torque setting is on the axle bolt. We put the car back on the ground and tightend down pretty good. Didn't know if over tighting it could cause a problem or if I should bring the axle back to the guy and tell him he messed it up and have him actually rebuild it this time since I can't find a good cv axle for a 5spd 01 s60 non-turbo.

#2 ·
i have no idea...but my car has this lag from when i hit the gas to when the wheels grip...its like a space...and the shifting is sort of harsh. Something is definatelly up but idk what to do. Im scared to bring it anywhere. I keep thinkin its suspension drivetrain axles or something idk...im clueless and when i turn the steering wheel back and forth back and forth pretty quickly theres a tick that i can hear

#3 ·
Re: (diablo2828)

Quote, originally posted by tonydee »
Have a 01 s60 front wheel drive and I recently had someone rebuild my axle and he said it was fine and replaced the boots and regreased it. Now the car makes a lot of noise going through the gears and it seems to be the axle that I just got back, since these noises wern't there before. Anyone know what the torque setting is on the axle bolt. We put the car back on the ground and tightend down pretty good. Didn't know if over tighting it could cause a problem or if I should bring the axle back to the guy and tell him he messed it up and have him actually rebuild it this time since I can't find a good cv axle for a 5spd 01 s60 non-turbo.
Try the "Google Search" link in the top right. It's been discussed before.

Quote, originally posted by diablo2828 »
i have no idea...but my car has this lag from when i hit the gas to when the wheels grip...its like a space...and the shifting is sort of harsh. Something is definatelly up but idk what to do. Im scared to bring it anywhere. I keep thinkin its suspension drivetrain axles or something idk...im clueless and when i turn the steering wheel back and forth back and forth pretty quickly theres a tick that i can hear
I had that problem, too. Just replaced the square torque mount with the IPD poly one. It's now 20x better. Working on putting washers on the mounts for the bar that the torque mount attaches to. Once that's stiffened up, it should be 100x better http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#4 ·
i have already upgraded my lower transmission mount (ipd), upper stabilizer bar (ipd), and upper engine mount (ipd). That helped out alot with shifting but now I have this horrible noise comming from either the transmission or the axle. Im going to have my cv axle rebuilt since I cannot find an inexpensive one for a NON TURBO 5sp 01 S60 and pray that it takes care of the problem. Still looking for the torque setting on the axle bolt anyone?

#8 ·
Im on the phone with local dealer and im trying to resolve this axle ping problem...i think its axle ping...but anyways, the guy at parts was looking up the bolts...and he came across two different sizes. Part number 30748388 is a metric 10/40 or part number 30741287 is a metric 10/65. I was also looking at the one on IPD website and i found that its part number is 30714142...if someone knows about this more than i do lemme know...i wanna order this part so i can fix this problem.

Thanks

#10 ·
thanks, thats what i thought it was

#12 ·
so my axles are torqued properly and I still have this horrible noise the changes with car speed but when in gear the noise is greatly intensified and its driving me insane. Just had the right wheel bearing replaced and the right axle looked at which I was told was fine. The mechanic replaced the boots and regreased the axle and since its been back in the noise has started. The car has 114K on it and im praying its not transmission related. Its a hard noise to describe but the only time it seems to quiet down is in 5th gear. The noise gets more high pitched the farther I bring the rpm's up and as well when I downshift at rpm's around 3000. Didn't know if there is any wayof isolating the problem before taking it all apart since I just had it sitting on the lift for a week while we did the timing belt and drive belt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.