View Full Version : Swedish Car Day # XI Sunday August 29th 10-2pm

volvoracer
08-23-2010, 07:52 PM
A reminder to check out "Swedish car Day" on Sunday Aug 29th at Lars Anderson Museum of Transportation in Brookline MA.

This is also the Boston/Merrimack Valley (V.CO.A. Chapter) Event for the year.

Driving School on Saturday, Show on Sunday.

http://www.swedishcarday.com/

"On Sunday, August 29, 2010 we present our Eleventh Annual Swedish Car Day at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, Massachusetts. This is our first summer-time SCD, so we hope the warmer weather will entice even larger crowds than we’ve had before. This year, as always, the focal points are the Saabs and Volvo proudly displayed on the lawn of the museum. Every year we get a great variety of cars, from veritable antiques to brand new cars, from the completely original to the massively customized. There have been common cars, and some of the rarest Saab and Volvo models in existence. There is much to celebrate this year, with the future of both Saab and Volvo now secured in new ownership.

We have two guest presenters this year who will engage participants in the museum:

First, we will have Dave Burnham display and discuss his 1971 Volvo 142 GT. This car is unique in that no others were built in this exact configuration. It showcases Volvo’s "Competition Service" Engine/intake package, a very rare setup. It is absolutely loaded with upgrades and accessories, and certainly comes with a bit of a story since it came into Mr. Burnham’s possession in 1983 as a nice “shell” with little else going for it.

Our other speaker will be Steven Wade, known to Saab enthusiasts around the globe as “Swade,” the oracle of www.saabsunited.com. We are honored to sponsor his trip to Boston for Swedish Car Day, all the way from Hobart, Australia. For those who watched the melodrama of Saabs near death and resurrection over the past two years, it was Mr. Wade who seemed to have all the best inside information which kept us on the edge of our seats. When things looked dire, it was Mr. Wade who banged the drum loudly and encouraged the Saab faithful to rally together and create “SAVE SAAB” events, and those events resonated so loudly that those with the ability to save Saab…..did! That he was present at the signing ceremony transferring Saab from GM to Spyker speaks volumes, and it is without hyperbole that we can state that after Victor Muller, he has been the single most significant player on the Saab scene in the past two years. Come by to welcome, and thank, Mr. Wade!

richgj3
08-30-2010, 08:27 AM
I attended this yesterday. It was a great event. I have owned my C70 since December of 1997 but I have never attened a Volvo event before. I live near Irv Gordon and he was going with his P1800 so I decided to tag along with the C70. 5:30 AM departure to 7 AM ferry and arrived to a full field about 10:30 AM. Everyone was very friendly, not like some other car events I have attened for other types. Nice museum, too.

Rich G...Long Island NY

richgj3
04-07-2011, 02:32 PM
The May edition of Hemmings has a couple of pages of pictures from the event.

Rich

VolvoGuy50
06-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Looks like SCD 2011 is game! 8/28/11 at Larz Anderson!