SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Left turn signal problem

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  64kattenrug 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 1964 544 and the left turn signal recently quit on me. I bought a 2 pronged fuse(?) today, but I don't know where to put it. I've searched under the dash, along the firewall, etc., but can't find anything that looks like it on the car. Any help would be grateful, Cheers!

#2 ·
Your car doesn't have any 2 pronged fuses. They are ceramic things about an inch long with metal pointy ends that fit between spring clips in a small box near the left side of the firewall. There should be a lid on the box which you remove by unscrewing a thumbscrew in the middle.
But I doubt if you have a blown fuse because the same fuse serves both sides. You probably have some of the famous invisible nonconductive film that develops on european electrical gear, or maybe a loose wire. Maybe a burnt out bulb but less likely. More than 95% of my nonfunctional lights have been good bulbs that had a nonconductive film on the bulb shell, the socket or the base contact. Amazing what you can do with a little scraping with your sharp pocketknife.....

#3 ·
Hey Walrus, thanks for the reply. All off my fuses are good, but I'll try out what you suggested. What I got from the Volvo shop was a metal cylindrical tube about an inch in diameter, and an inch long with two prongs on the bottom. I have no clue where to put it, but I do know that it is for a 544.

#6 ·
flasher location

So you're looking for the female plug for the flasher, usually clipped into a spring/holder/clamp that's mounted on the left side of the steering setup under the dash. Stick your head under there and have a look. Usually they've come unclipped and are dangling under the dash above where your left knee would be. Or feel around up under there with your hand for something that feels like the flasher you bought. I'm assuming that there's still a flasher installed in the plug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.