View Full Version : Newbie question...

jags32
09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Hi guys!

I am a bit confused. I have been researching a Volvo XC60 and a BMW X3. While I think XC60 has an overall edge over the X3, I am a bit scared to go the Volvo route due to the recent SAAB bankruptcy filing. Also the rumors about Geely holding corporation (which currently owns Volvo) and its ability to please its investors. How stable is Volvo as a company and am I even justified to compare Volvo with SAAB in terms of bankruptcy? Appreciate any feedback.

THanks

MyNameIdeasWereTaken
09-18-2012, 05:46 AM
This is a Volvo club subforum. You'll probably get more responses if you post this in a general discussion thread or in the XC60 supforum.

As for your question, Volvo seems to have always been more stable than Saab. Volvos are also significantly more reliable (coming from a family that has owned both) and have a better running history.

In all honesty, Saab was headed in the right direction and had some very nice looking and performing cars on their horizon. Their problem was General Motors limiting them to only what the American market would want (and then selling those world wide). They also attempted to rush Saab's development, which was against Saab's standard for developing proper safety features. In the long run, I would say the American Recession is what hurt Saab the most and GM dropped them because they weren't selling like Chevy. While an investor attempted to bring Saab back, it was just too late and they couldn't get another successful model out. What was released was a flop and the company vanished forever.