View Full Version : Virtual Reality XC90

26GAP
11-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Now this is pretty cool. I was not familiar with Google Cardboard, but it appears these are available on Amazon or you can build your own. The app "Volvo Reality" is supposed to be available on the Android Play Store starting Tuesday.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/all-cars/all-new-volvo-xc90/Pages/Google-cardboard.aspx

Wonder if the dealers will be given a supply of the Google Cardboard devices.

Adrian-C30R
11-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Now this is pretty cool. I was not familiar with Google Cardboard, but it appears these are available on Amazon or you can build your own. The app "Volvo Reality" is supposed to be available on the Android Play Store starting Tuesday.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/all-cars/all-new-volvo-xc90/Pages/Google-cardboard.aspx

I honestly feel like this is the greatest marketing tool Volvo has had in QUITE some time. It's brilliant! And as an avid Android user, I can't wait to see what other applications Google Cardboard will have! :D It's great to see Volvo really helping to launch this type of "tech" (IF we can call cardboard boxes innovative? :D) .

GregK
11-16-2014, 11:02 AM

I'm wondering about all the other applications for such a device.....almost unlimited!!!

GrecianVolvo
11-16-2014, 12:28 PM

Every Volvo dealer will have a device or two for marketing purposes. All XC90 Ambassadors, going through the training now and through Monday (1 for every U.S. and Canadian Volvo dealer), are leaving their training with one template to take back to their store.

You will be able to order one from your Volvo dealer soon. I believe they will retailer anywhere from $11 to $15.

GrecianVolvo
11-16-2014, 12:30 PM
I honestly feel like this is the greatest marketing tool Volvo has had in QUITE some time. It's brilliant! And as an avid Android user, I can't wait to see what other applications Google Cardboard will have! :D It's great to see Volvo really helping to launch this type of "tech" (IF we can call cardboard boxes innovative? :D) .

I experienced it yesterday. It is a fantastic concept; the level of detail is great, you feel like you are inside the car, you can turn your head and looks anywhere you want; back, either side, up...you can look at the sky and see some amazing details such as star constellations, even a lunar eclipse!

cedarholm
11-16-2014, 04:28 PM
Amazon has the Google Cardboard units.

So how does this work? An app?

Which Google Cardboard works with the Volvo ad?

Adrian-C30R
11-16-2014, 04:35 PM
I experienced it yesterday. It is a fantastic concept; the level of detail is great, you feel like you are inside the car, you can turn your head and looks anywhere you want; back, either side, up...you can look at the sky and see some amazing details such as star constellations, even a lunar eclipse!
Here's a question: Why is it not compatible with my Galaxy S4?

26GAP
11-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Here's a question: Why is it not compatible with my Galaxy S4?

I think it will still work on the S4. It just indicates is best viewed on the S5. A more interesting question to me is, when will the XC90s have Android Auto available. I know there has been a lot of interest about Google CarPlay. Interestingly enough, Android now has a larger install base globally than Apple.

Per Google, here are some details on Google Cardboard. Note that it indicates that Galaxy S4 is fully supported (phew, that's what I have). Perhaps the Volvo Reality App performs better on the S5. We'll find out Tuesday :partywave:

GrecianVolvo
11-16-2014, 08:54 PM
So how does this work? An app?

You must download the Volvo Realityapp.

Which Google Cardboard works with the Volvo ad?

Not sure about the model. Here is the direct link to the unit plus instructions on how to build your own:
https://developers.google.com/cardboard/

Adrian-C30R
11-16-2014, 08:57 PM
I think it will still work on the S4. It just indicates is best viewed on the S5. A more interesting question to me is, when will the XC90s have Android Auto available. I know there has been a lot of interest about Google CarPlay. Interestingly enough, Android now has a larger install base globally than Apple.

Per Google, here are some details on Google Cardboard. Note that it indicates that Galaxy S4 is fully supported (phew, that's what I have). Perhaps the Volvo Reality App performs better on the S5. We'll find out Tuesday :partywave:
Hmmm, maybe Volvo just locked the app until Tuesday? Hopefully that's the case. But, it would make sense that it performs better on an S5 since the S5 has a better GPU which will make 3D rendering betteron it.

GrecianVolvo
11-16-2014, 08:57 PM

I have an iPhone 4S and I was told that the app will only work with any iPhone that is 5 or higher. However, it worked just fine w/ the 4S...

26GAP
11-18-2014, 10:49 PM
Has anyone tried this? I tried to install it on my Galaxy S4 and it won't even give me an option to load it. I presume it is restricted to the S5 and unless I have that hardware I'm not given an option to load it.

Adrian-C30R
11-18-2014, 11:49 PM
Has anyone tried this? I tried to install it on my Galaxy S4 and it won't even give me an option to load it. I presume it is restricted to the S5 and unless I have that hardware I'm not given an option to load it.
That's what I've been running into as well..... I'm really bummed about this because too because now I can't go around campus and show this off to friends.

Paradox
11-19-2014, 07:03 AM
From the person who never wins anything, I actually tried yesterday and again today from within the app and today I 'won' a free Google Cardboard Headset. :) Now to hope it works with my iPhone 6 Plus. If not I can always use my wifes 5 I guess...

http://i.imgur.com/hGr0Jvz.jpg

blindkarma
11-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Just got one after trying the second day. First time used the app, second time from desktop using website above.

26GAP
11-20-2014, 04:15 PM
I won one today as well after my third attempt! Now - to find a phone that will actually run it. :-)

GregK
11-21-2014, 05:13 PM
I won one today as well after my third attempt! Now - to find a phone that will actually run it. :-)

If it works with the new Iphone 6 I have you covered......

Paradox
12-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Has anyone gotten theirs in the mail yet? It's been a little over 2 weeks since I 'won' mine and still nothing.

Jekecy
12-04-2014, 10:52 AM
I got mine, but it was straight from the dealership as I'd reserved the car.

Works pretty damn great, aside from the low resolution. The immersion is astounding though.

Paradox
12-04-2014, 11:02 AM
I got mine, but it was straight from the dealership as I'd reserved the car.

Works pretty damn great, aside from the low resolution. The immersion is astounding though.

Thanks, I'm more wondering if anyone got theirs yet who is waiting for it through the mail.

My dealership was going to get me one as well but considering I'm 3 hours away from them and I am supposed to have this one coming in the mail I told them no need.

26GAP
12-04-2014, 11:08 AM
I haven't received mine yet. Once this was announced, I bought one in eager anticipation for the launch of the app. However, it doesn't seem to be available for the Samsung S4. Has anyone with an S4 been able to load it? If so, I'd be eager to know how you did it.

scthkr
12-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Has anyone gotten theirs in the mail yet? It's been a little over 2 weeks since I 'won' mine and still nothing.

I have not. I 'won' mine on the third day they were available, after trying on the first and second day, and not winning.

Paradox
12-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Thanks all, just wanting to make sure it didn't get lost in the mail as I am sure the Christmas card/gift season is swamping the usps already.

blindkarma
12-06-2014, 01:39 AM
Just received mine in the mail. Neat little packaging that looked a little intimidating to assemble, but was easier than it looks. I started the app and popped in my iPhone. Didn't get it at first because I just stared at the blurry fake video. Then I started moving my head and realized the whole point is to look around. Pretty cool as I watched the video a couple of times. Not sure it shows off the XC90, but it did raise my image of Volvo for doing a smart promotion like this. It's innovative, clever and fun.

26GAP
12-06-2014, 08:34 AM
...it did raise my image of Volvo for doing a smart promotion like this. It's innovative, clever and fun.
Agreed. I've watched this a few times and have to agree - very nice marketing. It does a very nice job of showing off the interior of the XC90, which I consider it's best feature. I really like the realism involved in it. You can look in the rear view mirrors, look in the back seats, out the side windows, through the moonroof, ... Very cool indeed.

GregK
12-06-2014, 05:50 PM

Not yet.......

Jekecy
12-10-2014, 12:36 AM
Got my second one in the mail today, this time from the sweepstakes request. That was roughly 3 weeks ago, so it might give you others a good time frame of when to expect yours.

Paradox
12-10-2014, 07:07 AM
Mine came as well last night so hopefully the rest of us waiting will get theirs during the rest of this week.

I have an iPhone 6 Plus and while it fits in it it really isn't made for it. When you close it inside, if you velcro it down tight it pushes the buttons on the sides of the phone. Still, it works if you try at it and it really is a neat idea. Not the same as the dealerships having one to sit in but still a novel idea and one which I give Volvo mad credit for doing. Now we wait for more 'episodes' to open up within the app.

GregK
12-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Got my Google Cardboard in the mail today......very cool!!!!!
The iPhone 6 fits nicely.....

26GAP
12-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Me too