View Full Version : 2016 XC90 vs BMW X5 - Visual Comparison

VOLVO-LI
11-22-2014, 03:59 PM
http://youtu.be/GTnKRO7bfys

XC60 RD
11-22-2014, 05:25 PM
http://youtu.be/GTnKRO7bfys

Exterior design its a toss up between the two the Volvo is an elegant Scandinavian design while the BMW is sport driven stoic German design, whatever is your fancy but..........interior design Volvo runs away with it.
Plus let us not forget price, safety, features, interior room, etc, yada yada yada.......:p

JG2
11-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Well all that buttons in X5 are very outdated, no, this interior are not in the same century.
Volvo XC90 vs Bmw X5, 1:0 so far!

evilnewbie
11-22-2014, 07:10 PM
There was a review by volvo ocean that showed the XC90 buttons on steering wheel were crappy quality...

Paradox
11-22-2014, 09:38 PM
There was a review by volvo ocean that showed the XC90 buttons on steering wheel were crappy quality...

We do have to remember that what is out there now are still prototypes and speaking from experience things like crappy buttons can change come production.

GrecianVolvo
11-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Well all that buttons in X5 are very outdated, no, this interior are not in the same century.
Volvo XC90 vs Bmw X5, 1:0 so far!

Yes...31 buttons in the X5 vs. only 7 in the XC90...
7 buttons for iDdrive...You want to preset radio stations? 5 menus deep on iDrive

Talk about simplicity vs. confusion...

Plus, cargo space is much better w/ the XC90 (20 cu.ft. better) while the 3rd row is pure punishment.

rfkuehn
11-23-2014, 10:54 AM
I will never understand why BMW blurred the headlight shape into the kidney grill. (Just a random thought to share.)

pattyweb
11-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Yes...31 buttons in the X5 vs. only 7 in the XC90...
7 buttons for iDdrive...You want to preset radio stations? 5 menus deep on iDrive

Talk about simplicity vs. confusion...

Sure, but how about comparing how long it will take to get other more common things done?

Change AC temp or fan - BMW 1 turn - Volvo multiple touches and swipes on different parts of the screen.
Sync both zones - BMW 1 push - Can volvo even do that yet?

I know this thread is about the XC90 but what about the other Volvos? Volvo S60s, XC60s, etc have even MORE buttons & knobs and some things take even more steps to get things done and yet you never have called them confusing.

What are people more likely to do more often? Keep changing their presets or their ac temp & fan speed?

evilnewbie
11-23-2014, 12:58 PM
Sure, but how about comparing how long it will take to get other more common things done?

Change AC temp or fan - BMW 1 turn - Volvo multiple touches and swipes on different parts of the screen.
Sync both zones - BMW 1 push - Can volvo even do that yet?

I know this thread is about the XC90 but what about the other Volvos? Volvo S60s, XC60s, etc have even MORE buttons & knobs and some things take even more steps to get things done and yet you never have called them confusing.

What are people more likely to do more often? Keep changing their presets or their ac temp & fan speed?

I agree but I also did see an advertisement for voice control of temp settings in the XC90... Whether it has it, I don't know but if it did, it would beat out most of the luxury cars on temp control... Saying temp 70 degrees is a 100x better than manual controls...

Paradox
11-23-2014, 01:04 PM
I agree but I also did see an advertisement for voice control of temp settings in the XC90... Whether it has it, I don't know but if it did, it would beat out most of the luxury cars on temp control... Saying temp 70 degrees is a 100x better than manual controls...

Yes, it has voice controls with true speak. Instead of set commands you have to say to do things you can be more casual in commands. Even entering an address for navigation, you don't have to say the number, then street, then city as separate commands like in far too many nav systems. You just say the wholr address all at once. I read something about the temperature thing for voice that if you say something like I'm cold or in hot it'll change it one degree up or down. I'd also have to assume you could just say make the temperature 72 and it would do it as well from everything I've read about the new voice system.

pattyweb
11-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Voice controls in cars are one of the most unreliable features and at the top of most people's complaint list. I have voice control in our cars and while it works, nobody uses it despite my best efforts to get them to use it. I can't blame them because I don't bother with it myself. The normal interface is far faster and more efficient and intuitive and I don't have to interrupt the music or conversation at hand to do something. I just do it and it works 100% of the time.

Turn knob OR interrupt what's going on multiple times by pushing the voice button and then saying something. LOL, I'm cold. ... I'm still cold. ... Come on man, I'm still cold. .... Blow harder. Sorry, not hard enough, blow harder. ... Jeez, ok, now I'm melting. Honey, I was listening to that song.

If voice control is going to be so good, then Volvo would have demoed that first and shown us how intuitive it was that people didn't even need to bother touching the screen.

IMO, nothing beats the simple traditional knob.

Paradox
11-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Some will like it, some will not, can't make everyone happy all the time is how I see it.

pattyweb
11-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Some will like it, some will not, can't make everyone happy all the time is how I see it.

I agree. I just wish they could have left "some" traditional controls for those people that prefer them. That they may offer expanded voice controls isn't the issue. The issue is that they took away the traditional interface that everybody is use to.

I also agree it can be hard to make everyone happy, but there are some approaches that do a better job of trying to appeal to as many people as possible. IMO, Volvo is taking a love it or hate it approach when they really didn't need to.

The real irony is that moving everything to the touch screen is actually a cost cutting measure. But it sure looks premium. Of course, we're going to get BSed about how it's suppose to be all better in every way but deep down, a significant part of the underlying reason is to cut costs. Less complexity, less parts, less wires, less switches, etc.

Is it "Designed around you" OR "Designed around them" ?

Then consider that a recent study found voice control distracting. Even Toyota's natural voice system still ended up distracting the driver.

Voice Controls In Cars Really are Driving You to Distraction (http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2014/10/07/voice-controls-in-cars-really-are-driving-you-to-distraction/)

Imperfect Hands-Free Systems Causing Potentially-Unsafe Driver Distractions (http://newsroom.aaa.com/2014/10/imperfect-hands-free-systems-causing-potentially-unsafe-driver-distractions/)

Even the best of the tested systems, Toyota’s Entune, scored a 1.7 “cognitive distraction ranking,” the study found, compared to a 1 level for listening to the radio.

The worst of the tested in-dash systems, Chevy’s MyLink, scored a 3.7.

Worst of all, the researchers concluded, was Apple’s Siri, which came in at a frustration/distraction level of 4.

evilnewbie
11-23-2014, 06:52 PM
I have never been in a car with another person without having a conversation... I wonder what distraction level that is... While in car I might change the temp 1 or 2 to times but mostly none... If I can change the temp in a sentence that is better than taking a hand/eye off the steering wheel/road.... I never use the Bluetooth phone/car link system and think it is completely useless, ironically I use the cellphone while driving...

phlfly
11-23-2014, 08:46 PM
BMW is looked more sport SUV when XC90 is more ordinary SUV. To me it's looked like more Range Rover. At some point Volvo was looked like SAAB 9-7X.
BMW interior is design to make sure either you are driving 3-series or 7 - series so controls are stay same and idea between them. Volvo is never approaching same idea. Really, none of manufactures are approaching same idea as BMW. Therefore, they should compare Benz GL, Audi Q7, Ranger Rover with Volvo. X5 is in different segment.

XC60 RD
11-23-2014, 08:56 PM
BMW is looked more sport SUV when XC90 is more ordinary SUV. To me it's looked like more Range Rover. At some point Volvo was looked like SAAB 9-7X.
BMW interior is design to make sure either you are driving 3-series or 7 - series so controls are stay same and idea between them. Volvo is never approaching same idea. Really, none of manufactures are approaching same idea as BMW. Therefore, they should compare Benz GL, Audi Q7, Ranger Rover with Volvo. X5 is in different segment.
What?:confused:

phlfly
11-23-2014, 09:13 PM
i just described my view after watching this video.
Look XC 90 has third row seats, and has long cargo space as any ordinary/standard SUV. When Bimmer is more like hatchback on raised platform. The center console I like more on BMW, I'm not being fan of big screen integrated to dashboard as most cars have same thing. This is not mean that bimmer sticking out screen is good design, but it's more out family and interesting solution, and kind like it. I like Volvo steering wheel, it's looked out family, makes feels like square shape. To me, Volvo exterior is outdate as look any other SUV with nice grill. I don't see anything extraordinary in the exterior design.

GrecianVolvo
11-23-2014, 09:39 PM

I am trying to figure out the meaning of this. Are you talking about the past? The first generation XC90 or the new one?

BMW has among the busiest and, possibly, the most confusing controls. You need a strong tutoring session to grasp what's there. With the new XC90, you can have a 10-year old learn how to use the system i 10 minutes, that is how easy and intuitive is.

Have you tried digging into the iDrive submenus?

gascos80
11-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Just came back from the LA Auto Show. The XC90 is simply GORGEOUS in real life.
I should also praise the seats. I always thought that the V8 XC90 seats are the hallmark of excellency, but the new seats feel even better.
XC90 has visibly more usable cargo space than X5 with all 7 seats up. Much improved leg room in second row.
Could not play much with the tablet, but I believe I am going to like it.
Just like patty, I would not mind two temperature setting dials, but...I change temperature settings once in a blue moon, and can live with the "touch and slide" motion.
On the other side - nav controls, multimedia, phone, even incoming SMS can be handled with such an ease.
I use my Galaxy Note 4 with 2 independent Bluetooth connections, one for the phone integration and second for the music and other audio content on my older 08 S80.
Doing the same on the larger and very well organized screen should be fun + voice commands.
All together - when you see XC90 "in flash" it is hard not to fell in love with it.
Many cudos to Volvo. It was long anticipated and my favorite brand delivered.

GregK
11-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Cannot wait to see it in real life!!!!

phlfly
11-23-2014, 11:57 PM
I had e60 550 and never had problem with usage I-drive system. It's "overrated" by people who doesn't want put few minute to read a manual.
The air cond' BMW control are most simplistic than any car and same control for all BMW line-up.
As I said BMW X5 is sport SUV and drives this way. Did you ever try BMW X5 M, it's really something, only car on same page is Porsche Cayenne. And it's my opinion new XC 90 has not look different outside than any newer generation SUV. As you can see X5 is completely different car compare to Volvo and Audi Q7

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/57167b60d0e9cfc57c20197030f45fc7/200650965/volvolead.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Audi_Q7_4x4.jpg

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/14q1/581992/2015-bmw-x5-m60d-artists-rendering-photo-585731-s-1280x782.jpg

http://www.jeep.com/assets/images/vehicles/limited-editions/grand-cherokee-altitude/mod-hero-modelizer/grand_cherokee/bright-white.png

http://media.windingroad.com/autos_db/thumbnails/range-rover-header_jpg_677x1000_q100.jpg

rfkuehn
11-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Repeating my own post, I just don't get why BMW has blurred the headlight lenses into the kidney grill. That grill was once so crisp & distinctive, now its just an amorphous mess.

Kind of reminds me of those horrible Stretch Armstrong ads that Honda has been running around here lately... How far can they go? Ew.

phlfly
11-24-2014, 09:41 AM
I think it looks mean.
XC90 is more elegant at top lines and heavy on ground level, but very similar to Q7. In the end the price is important. We should compare those cars with about same options. I don't like compare cars with all options as available since most people will not buy top "loaded" cars anyway. I think mid-range level options are more selling.

kf93
11-24-2014, 09:57 AM
We eliminated the Q7 off our list early when my wife and I both hit our head on the hatch. The side wings curve down and if you are of average height you will hit your head if you come around the side of the back of the car. We're both around 5'8" /5 '9". The BMW third row is a waste of time, so it's between the MDX, XC90, GL for now. The XC90 is winning the technology, safety, and space/price tradeoffs.

phlfly
11-24-2014, 10:20 AM
We eliminated the Q7 off our list early when my wife and I both hit our head on the hatch. The side wings curve down and if you are of average height you will hit your head if you come around the side of the back of the car. We're both around 5'8" /5 '9". The BMW third row is a waste of time, so it's between the MDX, XC90, GL for now. The XC90 is winning the technology, safety, and space/price tradeoffs.

Really, most SUV's 3rd row is waste of time. Only SUV's the third row is useful are Chevy Suburban (All GM and Cadillac) and Ford Expedition and any modern minivan. We had Acadia for few years as lease, and it's good for small kids. I had few time transporting adults and it was tight, definitely not for long trips. But it's nice to have feature for taking kids to soccer at the best.

I'm more fuel economy, now days if SUV will not be able to do at least 27-30 mpg on hwy, it's not for me. So in this segment I can see only few cars X5 diesel, Grand Cherokee Diesel, VW Toerag Diesel, Benz ML Diesel, Audi Q7 and may be GL350 Diesel (it's around 26 per fueleconomy .gov).

Volvo is claiming that the new E-drive engine will do that trick. We shall see.

Paradox
11-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Because there is so much legroom in the 2nd row of the Infiniti QX60, after sliding the second row forward the third row is not too bad. I'm not saying it's paradise but it's quite usable BECAUSE of all the second row legroom available allowing one to go forward and still not be cramped all while freeing up more space in the third row.

That's one thing, really the only thing, I am worried about in the new XC90. Looking at the numbers the new XC90 is damned near the same size as the QX60 in exterior dimensions but interior legroom numbers are quite lower especially in the second row with legroom at 37 inches in the new XC90 compared to 41.7 inches in the QX60. Where did all the length of the car go? The cargo area space behind the third row is identical to the QX60. I'm wondering if for looks they made the front longer, say from the front axle to the firewall area, and that took away from more interior space such as giving more legroom space to passengers.

kf93
11-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Really, most SUV's 3rd row is waste of time. Only SUV's the third row is useful are Chevy Suburban (All GM and Cadillac) and Ford Expedition and any modern minivan. We had Acadia for few years as lease, and it's good for small kids. I had few time transporting adults and it was tight, definitely not for long trips. But it's nice to have feature for taking kids to soccer at the best.

I'm more fuel economy, now days if SUV will not be able to do at least 27-30 mpg on hwy, it's for me. So in this segment I can see only few cars X5 diesel, Grand Cherokee Diesel, VW Toerag Diesel, Benz ML Diesel, Audi Q7 and may be GL350 Diesel (it's around 26 per fueleconomy .gov).

I know what you mean. We went from an MDX to an Odyssey and are now trying to get back down to a midsized SUV. We will probably have three teenage boys during the lifetime of this next vehicle, so it will need to fit them back there for road trips at times. The GL is in a nice mid-spot between the full sized and mid sized SUVs, and we've been going back and forth between that and the XC90 for the last month or so. Right now the T8 and the price difference have us leaning volvo, and we know we are giving up some leg room for the safety tech, money savings, and hybrid.

GrecianVolvo
11-25-2014, 02:20 AM
I think it looks mean.
XC90 is more elegant at top lines and heavy on ground level, but very similar to Q7. In the end the price is important. We should compare those cars with about same options. I don't like compare cars with all options as available since most people will not buy top "loaded" cars anyway. I think mid-range level options are more selling.
Really? So why are you bringing up X5M and posting its picture when you post pics of regular models for the other brands? :)

By the way, I have driven an X5M, obviously very nice car, great set up with regards to engine/suspension. However, I have driven a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and an ML63...those two cars are (in my opinion) way ahead of the X5M.

GrecianVolvo
11-25-2014, 02:23 AM

People up to 5'7" can sit very comfortably in the 3rd row of the new XC90. Most kids are not that tall. Therefore, its 3rd row is definitely not a "waste of time".

I'm more fuel economy, now days if SUV will not be able to do at least 27-30 mpg on hwy, it's not for me. So in this segment I can see only few cars X5 diesel, Grand Cherokee Diesel, VW Toerag Diesel, Benz ML Diesel, Audi Q7 and may be GL350 Diesel (it's around 26 per fueleconomy .gov).

XC90 T6 AWD will have better rating than most of these.

Absolutely.

GrecianVolvo
11-25-2014, 02:32 AM

Of all the Audi models (and I will leave the A3 out since it is supposed to be their entry level car), I think the Q7 has to most uninspired and hardest looking interior plus the most uncomfortable seats of this bunch. And this is from someone who is enamored with Audi interiors (and I still do witn regards to the A6, A7 and A8 interiors). Plus, the Q7 (and I know this is subjective) has the ugliest exterior design.

The MDX, price-wise, comes the closest to the XC90 T6, from the value perspective although the XC90 will be a bit ahead with regards to overall technology. The MDX's third row is also tight, the windows make that space claustrophobic because of their miniscule size and the rear cargo is a little better with the XC90. One thing I do not like, in the MDX, is that the headrests of the 3rd row seats are very, very close to the rear windhsield.

The GL is a formidable car. It has probably the best seats in the segment, behind the XC90's. Its interior is premium, although the HMI is getting old and the dash is very busy. However, it is a large car, has a very adequate 3rd row (although the way the 2nd row unlatches and how it latches back it presents a clear danger to pinching the toes of the kids sitting in the back, not very good design).

Its price is miles higher than the XC90's.

Paradox
11-25-2014, 08:27 AM
XC90 T6 AWD will have better rating (mpg) than most of these.

That's impressive because the numbers on the diesels mentioned (X5 diesel, Grand Cherokee Diesel, VW Toerag Diesel, Benz ML Diesel, Audi Q7 and may be GL350 Diesel) aren't horrible numbers by any means. Do you have an estimate on when we can expect to see Volvo release the U.S. fuel economy numbers? Has the EPA even tested it yet?

phlfly
11-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Really? So why are you bringing up X5M and posting its picture when you post pics of regular models for the other brands? :)

By the way, I have driven an X5M, obviously very nice car, great set up with regards to engine/suspension. However, I have driven a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and an ML63...those two cars are (in my opinion) way ahead of the X5M.

I driven X5 M and Porsche Cayenne S, and I tell you these cars are about same. I would say BMW has better steering feel, when Porsche is little heavy on steering but it's quick. BMW has best steering feel in the industry, no matter what you are saying. BMW X5 was design as SUV that drives like a sedan. It's original idea by BMW and they succeed in this.

About mpg. So far, Volvo is showing 31 mpg for XC70 and it's front wheel drive (FWD). So my point is I would like to see how heavy vehicle and AWD will achieve hwy 30 mpg+?!

All above SUV's are diesel and AWD. So I think Volvo is making mistake, not selling diesel version here in US.

In the February will be auto show in DC I will definitely go to check third row. I was talking about adult on third row. Kids can fit in the current model, no argue about.

XC60 TN
11-25-2014, 04:59 PM

As an XC60 owner, when I first saw the center stack I thought there were way too many buttons! After living with the car, I only use the radio and telephone buttons. The temp is always set at 72 degrees. In the rare case where I need to adjust the temperature, it's a simple turn of a knob. It may look complicated, but it's actually very user friendly.