View Full Version : Fuel mileage for T6

wolverine
12-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Are there any fuel mileage estimates out there for the new XC90 T6 (gas engine)?

Paradox
12-06-2014, 03:28 PM
For the U.S. or the U.K. or elsewhere?

Nothing for the U.S. yet. The UK lists fuel consumption for the T6 as l/100km (combined) at 7.7. But using a simple converter for that to US mpg won't yield accurate results once the US numbers are released from fueleconomy.gov afaik.

Shopaholic
12-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Converted from UK mileage, it comes to about 30 mpg...but that sounds a bit high given the weight of the vehicle and I am guessing it may be closer to 24-25 mpg U.S

Paradox
12-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Converted from UK mileage, it comes to about 30 mpg...but that sounds a bit high given the weight of the vehicle and I am guessing it may be closer to 24-25 mpg U.S

Yeah, it doesn't yield accurate results just converting it.

Combined for the XC60 FWD with the twincharged T6 engine is 25 mpg so the 2016 XC90 will probably be a couple digits below that.

wolverine
12-06-2014, 10:49 PM
For the U.S. or the U.K. or elsewhere?

Nothing for the U.S. yet. The UK lists fuel consumption for the T6 as l/100km (combined) at 7.7. But using a simple converter for that to US mpg won't yield accurate results once the US numbers are released from fueleconomy.gov afaik.

Yes, looking for U.S. mpg numbers. I guess we will see, thanks for the info.

Paradox
12-06-2014, 11:04 PM
Keep an eye on fueleconomy.gov looking for it. They say usually the manufacturer releases the numbers first but when the 2015 Escalade was announced and numbers were not out, they appeared first on that site so I say just give it a check once a day later in the day if you don't read anything elsewhere.

goVolvo
12-10-2014, 05:21 PM

Combined for the XC60 FWD with the twincharged T6 engine is 25 mpg so the 2016 XC90 will probably be a couple digits below that.

You should compare XC60 Drive-E T6 with the 4-cyl turbo charged super charged engine with XC90.
The two engines are very similar (302HP vs 318HP), and two bodies' weight is similar too.
So 30MPG is quite reasonable.

Paradox
12-10-2014, 06:29 PM
You should compare XC60 Drive-E T6 with the 4-cyl turbo charged super charged engine with XC90.
The two engines are very similar (302HP vs 318HP), and two bodies' weight is similar too.
So 30MPG is quite reasonable.

Yes, that is the one I was comparing it to. 25 is combined even for the xc60, 30 is highway. Highway will probably be similar but the city will be lower by a little on the xc90.

The numbers, whenever volvo decides to release them, should be impressive for a vehicle of this size I am sure.

goVolvo
12-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Yes, that is the one I was comparing it to. 25 is combined even for the xc60, 30 is highway. Highway will probably be similar but the city will be lower by a little on the xc90.

The numbers, whenever volvo decides to release them, should be impressive for a vehicle of this size I am sure.

I am very much attempted to pay $10k more, for T8. Then no worries on MPG, lol.

finnvolvo
12-10-2014, 06:57 PM

Good numbers yes, but not unique. Quick look at the BMW X5 specs: 3.0 liter gas engine 18/27 mpg (City/Hwy) 3.0 liter diesel engine 24/31 mpg

Paradox
12-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Good numbers yes, but not unique.

Yep, never said they were unique.

Paradox
12-10-2014, 08:14 PM

Been there, done that (twice - the whole plugging in thing), done with doing that. It's definitely for some, but not all.

Shopaholic
12-10-2014, 10:23 PM

Not sure how long it will take to get the money back in gas savings, depends on miles driven and the actual milege, but I am also concerned about the extra complexity and the ultimate battery replacement.

kf93
12-11-2014, 02:28 AM
When you get somewhere around $5K back on federal taxes and up to $2500 extra in California, the price difference gets a lot smaller. I'm still on the fence and haven't decided yet. The general complexity and danger of buying a first year of a brand new car also worries me but that's what the warranty is for. Still going back and forth with the GL350 because the cargo space and seating is one of the major factors and I can get a military discount on the GL and that model is a couple of years old with most of the kinks worked out.

adp
12-11-2014, 03:20 AM
I don't think the hybrid system is worth worrying about. Everyone seems to do that just fine.

And the batteries will have a long useful life, even after they are not used in cars.

If you want a vehicle with a bit lower emissions, particularly if the plug-in mode is useful to you, it's a good step forward from an environmental standpoint. Some people are even willing to pay a premium for that.

Plus it should be fun to drive when you aren't in the mood to save energy.

It's not only about saving $ by saving gas. You don't spend $70,000 in an effort to save $100/month. It's about far more than that.

kf93
12-11-2014, 04:21 AM

It's not only about saving $ by saving gas. You don't spend $70,000 in an effort to save $100/month. It's about far more than that.

Don't tell my wife that, I'm using that argument to put a Tesla in the garage after we solve the SUV situation.

pattyweb
12-11-2014, 08:19 AM

I agree most people don't and it is about more than that. One issue though is that IMO Volvo hasn't differentiated the T8 significantly enough from a T6. They look the same. The only giveaway without memorizing grills that will jump out will be the charging door and the badge on the back to which I'm sure a lot of people will think "?".

IMO, people that spend that kind of money also want to make an impression, get noticed. Some people do it for the green feeling, but I'd bet a significant amount of those people also at least want other people to know they're green. IMO, the T8 doesn't stand out enough from the crowd or it's T6 sibling to accomplish that. The #1 selling plugin hybrid and it was considered a flop and had numerous price drops is the Volt. Is that more because it's better, cheaper, or unique? In distance 2nd and 4th place are the fusion and prius plugins.

In 2nd to last place is Porsche that sold a combined 100 plugin cars and suvs last month. I'm curious what Volvo sales expectations are for the T8.

Paradox
12-11-2014, 08:23 AM
I agree most people don't and it is about more than that. One issue though is that IMO Volvo hasn't differentiated the T8 significantly enough from a T6. They look the same. The only giveaway without memorizing grills that will jump out will be the charging door and the badge on the back to which I'm sure a lot of people will think "?".

IMO, people that spend that kind of money also want to make an impression, get noticed. Some people do it for the green feeling, but I'd bet a significant amount of those people also at least want other people to know they're green. IMO, the T8 doesn't stand out enough from the crowd or it's T6 sibling to accomplish that. The #1 selling plugin hybrid and it was considered a flop and had numerous price drops is the Volt. Is that more because it's better, cheaper, or unique? In distance 2nd and 4th place are the fusion and prius plugins.

In 2nd to last place is Porsche that sold a combined 100 plugin cars and suvs last month. I'm curious what Volvo sales expectations are for the T8.

One difference from the front, and I didn't get an answer as to why they did this, is the T8 does not have fog/cornering lamps like the T6 comes with. I realize that's not the kind of difference you are referring to but it's a way to tell from the front pretty quickly.

Shopaholic
12-11-2014, 11:08 AM
When you get somewhere around $5K back on federal taxes and up to $2500 extra in California, the price difference gets a lot smaller. I'm still on the fence and haven't decided yet. The general complexity and danger of buying a first year of a brand new car also worries me but that's what the warranty is for. Still going back and forth with the GL350 because the cargo space and seating is one of the major factors and I can get a military discount on the GL and that model is a couple of years old with most of the kinks worked out.

I agree the tax credits would bring the price down, but unfortunately for my commute I need 35-40 mile range to make it on electricity alone!

adp
12-11-2014, 06:32 PM
IMO, people that spend that kind of money also want to make an impression, get noticed.

I think you are right, but I don't know what the data shows. Lots of people objected to the early Prius because it looked different. But if those people were gonna buy Hondas, they were gonna buy Hondas. I think these things are mostly post-hoc rationalizations. (the Honda guy wanted a Honda, so he finds a way to hate the Prius)

As a greenie and an SUV owner, I want a nice, bright badge on the show to show that I am driving green and not just another SUV-driving bonehead. :) I'm not kidding, unfortunately. The "hybrid" emblem helps.

I continue to believe that PIH's are the best approach currently available, but some green experts I know disagree - and they each drive a Tesla.

They also make more money than I do. I can't afford to save that much $$ on gas. ;)

fleuger99
12-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Vast majority of people who buy hybrids and swear by them forget that a hybrid vehicle uses about 50% more resources to produce than a gas/petrol version of the same car. Also, currently there is no way to recycle hybrid car batteries so those two things are not very green. I guess people see what they want to.

detourdog
12-12-2014, 04:15 PM
Been there, done that (twice - the whole plugging in thing), done with doing that. It's definitely for some, but not all.

Out of curiosity what bothered you about the plugin hybrid?

goVolvo
12-12-2014, 04:28 PM

Plug wire in every night after getting home, 365 times a year ;)

Paradox
12-12-2014, 05:45 PM

Plug wire in every night after getting home, 365 times a year ;)

First let me say I have no 'ill will' towards plug in vehicles. I had fun driving EV in both the PiP and Volt I owned. As I said elsewhere on here, for me, it came down to two main reasons. One being not having a spare tire. The can of goo and compressor included in these vehicles doesn't cut it. If I have a nail or screw, which the goo helps with, I don't need it. Leaving the nail/screw in usually holds enough air for me to get somewhere to have it patched. I had a more severe problem in the Volt where even the goo wouldn't have held. I lost half my day to calling for a tow using OnStar, waiting, getting the tow to the delaer as that is where they tow you. The dealer had to get the tire. Wait. Finally I was gone after several hours and missed appointments. With a spare I would have changed it and been on my way. And I don't want to be one of those people carrying around a spare behind the drivers seat or lying in the cargo area, that's just me. Second, here in NYC Con(man)Edison is so expensive per kWh that running on gas costs as much as paying for electricity. ConEd has been experimenting with some lame program to see about offering a discounted rate for EV/plug-in owners but after 2 years it is still just that, a program where they monitor your usage but offer you no reduced pricing. They have time of use but that doesn't cut it for me.

All that being said, again, I realize for many it works out and I have no problem with companies going the route of offering them, hell, I welcome it. It's just for my personal use, I would rather go back to a regular gasser than have a plug-in again.

adp
12-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Vast majority of people who buy hybrids and swear by them forget that a hybrid vehicle uses about 50% more resources to produce than a gas/petrol version of the same car. Also, currently there is no way to recycle hybrid car batteries so those two things are not very green. I guess people see what they want to.

dude, what are you even talking about?

do some more research, please, before spouting such nonsense

Paradox
12-12-2014, 06:14 PM
dude, what are you even talking about?

do some more research, please, before spouting such nonsense

Agreed. Toyota for one has had a vigorous recycling program in effect for a long time now. Next we'll be hearing the old bs "prius outdoes hummer in environmental damage" thing. :rolleyes:

VOLVO-LI
12-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Volvo Releases Performance Specs For Range-Topping 2016 XC90 T8:

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/volvo-releases-performance-specs-range-topping-2016-xc90-170010500.html

pattyweb
12-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Toyota Prius (and most other non plugin hybrids) use NiMH batteries which are recycled. The more expensive and larger Lion batteries used in plugin and full electric models are not as cost effective to recycle (at least right now) so instead they have plans to reuse those batteries in other capacities since they still have storage capacity, just not enough for a car. For example, one idea I was reading is they would "repurpose" those used Lion batteries into household powering products with solar panels.

adp
12-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Toyota Prius (and most other non plugin hybrids) use NiMH batteries which are recycled. The more expensive and larger Lion batteries used in plugin and full electric models are not as cost effective to recycle (at least right now) so instead they have plans to reuse those batteries in other capacities since they still have storage capacity, just not enough for a car. For example, one idea I was reading is they would "repurpose" those used Lion batteries into household powering products with solar panels.

exactly. And re-use is far better (from almost any standpoint) then recycling.

The reason not to buy a hybrid is PRICE, and price alone. If you can't afford one, don't buy one. Same as if you can't afford a Bentley, don't buy one. No big deal.

I understand that my Prius hybrid won't save me money. But it does save me gas and it does emit fewer pollutants locally than a similar vehicle. So, to me, that is "worth it." Everyone does a different calculation, and that is their right.

Anyone who denigrates hybrids clearly hasn't driven the Lexus GS450H. Stomp on that thing for a while and you may never drive a non-hybrid, again. No matter HOW much the hybrid premium is. :)

adp
12-19-2014, 05:36 PM

fleuger - get back here and take your medicine!!

:)

(just messing with you)

fleuger99
12-22-2014, 12:29 PM
fleuger - get back here and take your medicine!!

:)

(just messing with you)

I'm back! :)

I was referring to the LION batteries. I did not know they would be reused. My comment about 50% more resources still stands and where do you think you get electricity from to charge your lovely electric cars? How much of that energy is renewable sources? It is not as green as you might think. So there!! :)

Conradi
12-22-2014, 12:45 PM
FYI, it's all depending how the electricity for an EV is generated...

http://daskapital.nl/images/fotos/elektrischeautosdodelijk-gr.png

kf93
12-23-2014, 01:59 AM
tesla website has a great section that discusses this and lists each state in the US and where they get the majority of their power. East coast is very coal centric but west coast has a lot of NG, Hydro, and other.

Paradox
12-23-2014, 06:53 AM
Here's a page where you can get a ballpark breakdown of electricity sources for a certain area: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.php

And here you can get ghg figures for a plug in vehicle based on zip codes: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=bt2

KiwiRob
12-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Don't tell my wife that, I'm using that argument to put a Tesla in the garage after we solve the SUV situation.

Have you driven one yet? They are fast but they really are badly built.

kf93
12-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Have you driven one yet? They are fast but they really are badly built.

I have done a test drive here in Germany. We were thinking about an X but I don't feel like waiting any longer and it has some negatives that won't work for my family. The final two contenders are the XC90 and the GL350, and right now the GL is actually winning, because I can get a really good discount on one and the larger size is one of our most important factors. I think the long-term cost of the Tesla model is cheaper than an equivalently priced gas car because of the lower service costs and less moving parts overall, but that remains to be proven.

Paradox
01-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Over at fueleconomy.gov they just began adding Model Year 2016 vehicles today. Thus far only Kia and Mazda models are up, so hopefully with First Editions making their way to customers in around 2 1/2 months we'll be seeing MPG figures soon for the 2016 XC90.

Once I see anything posted there I'll make sure to post em' up here, unless someone else beats me to it! :)

goVolvo
01-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Over at fueleconomy.gov they just began adding Model Year 2016 vehicles today. Thus far only Kia and Mazda models are up, so hopefully with First Editions making their way to customers in around 2 1/2 months we'll be seeing MPG figures soon for the 2016 XC90.

Once I see anything posted there I'll make sure to post em' up here, unless someone else beats me to it! :)

If the MPG of T6 does not make you happy, go T8 :)

Paradox
01-07-2015, 03:20 PM
If the MPG of T6 does not make you happy, go T8 :)

Nope, been there done that (twice!), no more plugging in for me. :)

wolverine
01-08-2015, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the update paradox, I will keep an eye out for it too.

Warpedcow
02-04-2015, 09:28 AM

You can convert the UK MPG numbers just fine if you know how to convert a UK gallon to a US gallon.

Paradox
02-04-2015, 11:44 AM
You can convert the UK MPG numbers just fine if you know how to convert a UK gallon to a US gallon.

Yes, of course you can convert the UK MPG numbers just fine if you know how to convert a UK gallon to a US gallon. But that is not at all what I meant in my reply. Converting the fuel economy numbers of the UK with a converter will not get you what the vehicle will be rated at here in the US.

Paradox
03-02-2015, 10:25 AM
First time I've seen mention of a 'target set by Volvo' for the T6 engine (combined figure). It is from this article from Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/volvo/xc90/2016/road-test.html

What Kind of Fuel Economy Can You Expect?
Volvo has set a target of 22 mpg combined for the XC90 T6, making it one of the most fuel-efficient gasoline-powered vehicles in the class.

I wonder how close I'll end up being on this guess I made on mpg figures here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?225628-17-mpg-%26%23128561%3B&p=2473974&viewfull=1#post2473974

Maybe 20 city, 29 hwy and 24 combined but if it gets rated higher than that I will be quite impressed.

Just as a comparison, an Infiniti QX60 AWD with a 3.5L V6 and is around a similar weight to the new XC90 gets 21 combined mpg - 19 city 25 highway. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/33971.shtml
And an Acura MDX AWD also with a 3.5L V6 gets 21 combined mpg - 18 city 27 highway. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/33592.shtml

pattyweb
03-02-2015, 11:20 AM
The normally aspirated V6 FWD MDX is rated for 23mpg combined. The FWD T6 XC60 is rated for 25mpg.

I sure hope that the XC90 somehow makes 24mpg.

Paradox
03-02-2015, 11:24 AM
The FWD T6 XC90 is rated for 25mpg.

I think you meant XC60 T6 FWD is 25mpg combined.

pattyweb
03-02-2015, 11:25 AM
You mean XC60, right?

You are correct, I meant XC60. I will edit the post and fix.

turbomama
03-02-2015, 08:51 PM
First time I've seen mention of a 'target set by Volvo' for the T6 engine (combined figure). It is from this article from Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/volvo/xc90/2016/road-test.html

I wonder how close I'll end up being on this guess I made on mpg figures here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?225628-17-mpg-%26%23128561%3B&p=2473974&viewfull=1#post2473974

Just as a comparison, an Infiniti QX60 AWD with a 3.5L V6 and is around a similar weight to the new XC90 gets 21 combined mpg - 19 city 25 highway. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/33971.shtml
And an Acura MDX AWD also with a 3.5L V6 gets 21 combined mpg - 18 city 27 highway. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/33592.shtml

I am trying to stay optimistic on mpg still but not thrilled at all with 22 combined. I noticed Edmunds said one of the best rather than best in class! 22 vs 59 is a huge gap. I really can't wait till end of year for the T8 and already have the first edition on order.
I know 22 is good for an suv but originally thought we would be looking at more of a 26+ combined. Thanks for all the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

volvokhaled
03-03-2015, 06:24 PM
I am trying to stay optimistic on mpg still but not thrilled at all with 22 combined. I noticed Edmunds said one of the best rather than best in class! 22 vs 59 is a huge gap. I really can't wait till end of year for the T8 and already have the first edition on order.
I know 22 is good for an suv but originally thought we would be looking at more of a 26+ combined. Thanks for all the info!

The combined should be around 30-32 MPG.

Paradox
03-03-2015, 06:32 PM

Khaled, I believe turbomama is talking US numbers, like I was. There is no way it will be 30-32 combined here in the US once the T6 XC90 is rated. And as mentioned elsewhere, using the formula to convert ratings outside of the US to MPG gets a converted result, but it is not what the US will rate it at; the direct conversions always end up higher than what they get rated by the EPA.

GrecianVolvo
03-03-2015, 08:17 PM

It will not be that high.

PhatboyC
03-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Preliminary combined results is noted to be 7.7 L/100km in the dealer guide posted. Converts to 30.5 MPG for my neighbours in the south. So we can't expect anything better once its officially rated

Paradox
03-23-2015, 04:09 PM
A new article from the NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/latest-reviews/full-review-test-drive-2016-volvo-xc90-t6-t8-article-1.2159502) has just appeared online and on the side, it lists the new XC90 T6 MPG as 19 city and 27 highway. Unlike past articles which guessed at mpg numbers, this one does not say they are estimates. So they may still be 'guesses' and they jsut are not being honest or they got them somehow and published them.

Here is a snapshot showing the numbers listed on the left:

http://i.imgur.com/0vSmc9w.jpg

I think these numbers would put it at the 22 mpg combined number one earlier article said Volvo was striving for.

liumichael
03-23-2015, 04:23 PM
A new article from the NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/latest-reviews/full-review-test-drive-2016-volvo-xc90-t6-t8-article-1.2159502) has just appeared online and on the side, it lists the new XC90 T6 MPG as 19 city and 27 highway. Unlike past articles which guessed at mpg numbers, this one does not say they are estimates. So they may still be 'guesses' and they jsut are not being honest or they got them somehow and published them.

Here is a snapshot showing the numbers listed on the left:

http://i.imgur.com/0vSmc9w.jpg

I think these numbers would put it at the 22 mpg combined number one earlier article said Volvo was striving for.

If local driving in NYC can get 19, it will be great.

Paradox
03-23-2015, 04:46 PM
If local driving in NYC can get 19, it will be great.

Agreed but living in nyc I know I tend to get about 2 digits lower than what the EPA usually rates vehicles at for city mpg. Well, I get EPA if I drive conservative, but that's not often lol. Highway I tend to get what the EPA rates vehicles at, especially since the revised test methods implemented some years back.

Paradox
03-23-2015, 04:49 PM
I had checked the specifications page earlier on the U.S. xc90 page and it was not updated yet, but right now the specs page is down. Maybe these numbers are true and they are updating the website. I'll keep an eye out and update accordingly.

Hmm, maybe not. The specs page will not open via safari but it does if I use a different browser on my phone. Maybe nothing, I'll check later when I'm on a pc.

Jekecy
03-23-2015, 05:41 PM
So that's roughly 300 miles on a full tank, worst case day-to-day scenario. Not too shabby, though I was hoping for more.

liumichael
03-23-2015, 06:14 PM
So that's roughly 300 miles on a full tank, worst case day-to-day scenario. Not too shabby, though I was hoping for more.

New XC90 has 18.8gal gas tank, if city gives you 19mpg, that's 357miles range, for highway full tank will give you more than 500miles, combined will give you more than 400miles.

Jekecy
03-23-2015, 06:19 PM
New XC90 has 18.8gal gas tank, if city gives you 19mpg, that's 357miles range, for highway full tank will give you more than 500miles, combined will give you more than 400miles.
Right, but I'm rounding down a little just to account for extraordinary conditions which would drive the efficiency down a notch or so. Applied to the least efficient driving method (city), 300 or so would be the absolute minimum one could expect on a full tank.

liumichael
03-23-2015, 06:25 PM
Right, but I'm rounding down a little just to account for extraordinary conditions which would drive the efficiency down a notch or so. Applied to the least efficient driving method (city), 300 or so would be the absolute minimum one could expect on a full tank.

I don't think you will have problem with highway or combined. Currently I have Audi Q7, i got only 8 to 9mpg local driving in NYC. I get only little bit more than 200miles with full tank.

Paradox
03-23-2015, 06:28 PM
I don't think you will have problem with highway or combined. Currently I have Audi Q7, i got only 8 to 9mpg local driving in NYC. I get only little bit more than 200miles with full tank.

Ouch! Didn't think it would be THAT low in nyc (the Q7). Even 17 in the XC90 would be great for you compared to what you have become used to.

turbomama
03-24-2015, 04:36 AM
Paradox - with 22 possibly combined will you stay with your FE or switch to T8 and why?
Trying to sell myself one way or another! :)

Paradox
03-24-2015, 05:52 AM
Paradox - with 22 possibly combined will you stay with your FE or switch to T8 and why?
Trying to sell myself one way or another! :)

I am in the minority but T6. I've done plug ins twice. My rate per kWh is high enough that it is cheaper to run gas unless gas hits around give or take $4 a gallon. Also, I do trips that are 180-300 miles with no means of charging once at my destination so a T6 makes more sense, to ME. Everyone's usage is different. Also, having had a blow out in my Volt and lose half a day and miss two important appointments I had waiting for the tow truck and waiting for the tire I hate not having a spare in the plug in. And I dont want to strap one down somewhere after buying a T8.

I still like it though, power seems quite nice but a loaded T6 suits my needs best.

turbomama
03-24-2015, 06:42 AM
I am in the minority but T6. I've done plug ins twice. My rate per kWh is high enough that it is cheaper to run gas unless gas hits around give or take $4 a gallon. Also, I do trips that are 180-300 miles with no means of charging once at my destination so a T6 makes more sense, to ME. Everyone's usage is different. Also, having had a blow out in my Volt and lose half a day and miss two important appointments I had waiting for the tow truck and waiting for the tire I hate not having a spare in the plug in. And I dont want to strap one down somewhere after buying a T8.

I still like it though, power seems quite nice but a loaded T6 suits my needs best.

Thanks so much! I will be driving both in town and longer trips (500+ miles). I don't know what I would do if both models coming around same time but think I'll stick with my FE too. It does NOT seem like the popular decision though. The reviewers that test drove worry me most but I'm sure I'll be happy with loaded T6. [emoji4]

Adrian-C30R
03-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Thanks so much! I will be driving both in town and longer trips (500+ miles). I don't know what I would do if both models coming around same time but think I'll stick with my FE too. It does NOT seem like the popular decision though. The reviewers that test drove worry me most but I'm sure I'll be happy with loaded T6.

And hey, there's always the Polestar upgrades! :D

turbomama
03-24-2015, 12:31 PM
And hey, there's always the Polestar upgrades! :D

Adrian - can you elaborate? Will there be Polestar upgrades that can be added after delivery?

goVolvo
03-24-2015, 01:15 PM
Adrian - can you elaborate? Will there be Polestar upgrades that can be added after delivery?

Have to wait until Polestar announce their spec/approaches. If there is pure software update, probably can be applied to current cars also, like the T6 3.0L Polestar software upgrade.

genericuser1
03-24-2015, 01:49 PM
If there is a factory ECU tune to boost power close to the T8 I'd probably opt for the T6 instead of waiting.

Paradox
03-24-2015, 01:57 PM
If there is a factory ECU tune to boost power close to the T8 I'd probably opt for the T6 instead of waiting.

An article had mentioned a Polestar tuned T6 should end up inbetween the T6 and T8 at around 360hp, but it was not anything direct from Volvo; No info about a Polestar XC90 direct from Volvo, yet...

I'd consider a software update, price dependent.

AussieMikeD5
03-24-2015, 07:56 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is your or the average kW/h rate? At my workshop the rate is 48c per kW/h so I installed a 15kW solar system that produces on average 50 kW/h per day yet still a D5 will cost me less than a T8.

Regards,

Michael

Paradox
03-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is your or the average kW/h rate? At my workshop the rate is 48c per kW/h so I installed a 15kW solar system that produces on average 50 kW/h per day yet still a D5 will cost me less than a T8.

Regards,

Michael

Wow, mine is high but you do have me beat. I'd have to check come my next bill as I don't bother figuring it out anymore since I got rid of the Volt but it was aprox. $0.36 kW/h from what I remember. I had considered panels but with neighbors trees and my small roof space it just wouldn't work out, unfortunately. Maybe in my next home come retirement, lol.

xuc318
03-24-2015, 10:27 PM
I just checked my last bill. It is $0.18 KWh

MorrisonHiker
03-24-2015, 10:42 PM
Wow, mine is high but you do have me beat. I'd have to check come my next bill as I don't bother figuring it out anymore since I got rid of the Volt but it was aprox. $0.36 kW/h from what I remember. I had considered panels but with neighbors trees and my small roof space it just wouldn't work out, unfortunately. Maybe in my next home come retirement, lol.
It's amazing how much prices for electricity vary around the country. It's only $0.12 per kWh in my neighborhood and I'm still getting estimates on solar. I recently added another 500+ sq. ft. to the garage which greatly increases the space available for solar panels. I do worry about the neighbor to the south of me though. If they decided to plant some large trees, it could block sunlight on the new garage. [emoji53]

My neighbor a couple houses down just had panels installed and after rebates and credits they should pay for themselves within six years.

AussieMikeD5
03-24-2015, 11:12 PM
My 15kW solar system was $17,500 installed. I use around 20 - 25 kW/h per day costing me around $750 per quarter. The system, during summer, produces around 95 kW/h per day. After 12 months, I have had no power bills and my retailer owes me around $2,000 but in 2 years that will change and I will likely only be owed around $300 a year on top of no electricity bills.

Regards,

Michael

pattyweb
03-25-2015, 09:19 AM
It's amazing how much prices for electricity vary around the country. It's only $0.12 per kWh in my neighborhood and I'm still getting estimates on solar. I recently added another 500+ sq. ft. to the garage which greatly increases the space available for solar panels. I do worry about the neighbor to the south of me though. If they decided to plant some large trees, it could block sunlight on the new garage.

My neighbor a couple houses down just had panels installed and after rebates and credits they should pay for themselves within six years.

At least in the US, in some states I think there may be some laws to help protect solar panel owners against neighbors who plant NEW trees AFTER a solar panel system has already been installed. It's a matter of who did what first. If the tree is already there before the panels, then you're out of luck.

I researched solar for our fl (.13 kw?) home but the payback period back then was 20+ years. No major rebates at all for us. At one point there was a nice one, but it was a gamble if you got it and they ran out of money. Even now that solar prices have dropped, it's still 15+ years. So instead I work on just using less electricity so that if/when I finally install one, I can install a smaller size. Biggest improvement so far was adding solar hot water, that made a huge difference. My main issue with solar is my neighbor has large oak trees that are still growing.

MorrisonHiker
03-25-2015, 10:00 AM
At least in the US, in some states I think there may be some laws to help protect solar panel owners against neighbors who plant NEW trees AFTER a solar panel system has already been installed. It's a matter of who did what first. If the tree is already there before the panels, then you're out of luck.

Interesting. There are NO trees there now. I'll have to research and see if there are any laws that would apply in Colorado. Thanks for the info!

k24atuner
03-26-2015, 09:30 PM
Also, I do trips that are 180-300 miles with no means of charging once at my destination so a T6 makes more sense, .

I haven't really thought about this problem with having the T8. Charging at home makes distance travel, vacations, etc. with the T8 quite difficult no?

BTW....I think I remember you from Acurazine a few years back. Were you on those boards??

k24atuner
03-26-2015, 09:41 PM
@turbomama - which reviewer comments have you worried? I've seen pretty much only positive praise for the new model....

Paradox
03-26-2015, 09:41 PM
I haven't really thought about this problem with having the T8. Charging at home makes distance travel, vacations, etc. with the T8 quite difficult no?

BTW....I think I remember you from Acurazine a few years back. Were you on those boards??

I had some hotels accommodate me to charge my volt by letting me use an outlet right out front of the lobby overnight. But some said no, some said yes, it was hit or miss. Ultimately, the volt and even the T8 are not pure EVs so they have a gas engine not making charging mandatory so I got tired of being the one always looking and asking and grabbing a charge when I could just to better my mpg's when it wasn't totally necessary. I even tripped the breaker at two hotels trying to grab a charge out of my room, the maintenance guy who had to reset the breaker was not amused in one occasion, lol. So, in a road trip, if you can't easily charge you are basically driving a T6 with the extra weight of a discharged battery. Like I said, plug ins work great for some but not for all and only each individual person knows if it will work for them. For me, it took getting the EV driving bug out of my system (which in itself is FUN) but after 2 years it wore thin, for me.

I had an Acura TL Type S but that was over 11-12 years ago, the name of the forum does not ring a bell and I don't remember being on forums back then for that car.

k24atuner
03-26-2015, 09:44 PM
I had some hotels accommodate me to charge my volt by letting me use an outlet right out front of the lobby overnight. But some said no, some said yes, it was hit or miss. Ultimately, the volt and even the T8 are not pure EVs so they have a gas engine not making charging mandatory so I got tired of being the one always looking and asking and grabbing a charge when I could just to better my mpg's when it wasn't totally necessary. I even tripped the breaker at two hotels trying to grab a charge out of my room, the maintenance guy who had to reset the breaker was not amused in one occasion, lol. So, in a road trip, if you can't easily charge you are basically driving a T6 with the extra weight of a discharged battery. Like I said, plug ins work great for some but not for all and only each individual person knows if it will work for them. For me, it took getting the EV driving bug out of my system (which in itself is FUN) but after 2 years it wore thin, for me.

I had an Acura TL Type S but that was over 11-12 years ago, the name of the forum does not ring a bell and I don't remember being on forums back then for that car.

Great points, thanks for the feedback. Funny stuff there with tripping hotel breakers :p

And I must be off....must be this forum I recognize the name from!

turbomama
03-26-2015, 09:51 PM
@turbomama - which reviewer comments have you worried? I've seen pretty much only positive praise for the new model....

Hi k24atuner - my concerns on here have related to mpg statements ranging from combined 17-22 mpg. Just hoping will be higher.
And I said concerned about Pirelli tires that some are saying are not great quality.
Thanks for asking! :)

Paradox
03-26-2015, 10:16 PM
Great points, thanks for the feedback. Funny stuff there with tripping hotel breakers :p

And I must be off....must be this forum I recognize the name from!

Lol, yeah, one of the times it was fine until the cleaning lady next room over turned on her vacumn. I heard the vacumn spool up for a second or two and that was it, lights out. She had no idea why, I mean, the extension cord going from my room to the car parked right in front of the door wasn't a giveaway, lol.

No problem, there probably is someone there with this username anyway so that could be it as well, it's all good.

VolvoFaRmeR
03-27-2015, 03:17 AM
And I said concerned about Pirelli tires that some are saying are not great quality.

Why would they say that? Pirelli has an exceptional reputation for quality, and have some of the best high-performance cars in the industry used as OEM on many cars. I actually find Pirelli to be quite amazing having pilled on many, many miles with zero issues. I would say only Micheline has a reputation similar. I'd be very happy to see them as the standard tire like on many, many other Volvos.

finnvolvo
03-27-2015, 07:51 AM
Pirelli - another Chinese company....

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1097453_pirelli-sold-to-state-owned-chemchina-pininfarina-may-go-to-mahindra

Shan
10-14-2015, 12:35 PM
So I was looking at the fuel consumption when off the throttle (coasting) in Eco mode and Comfort mode. In Eco mode it reads as 0.6l/100km and in Comfort mode it reads as 0.0l/100km. Has anyone else experienced this? If this is normal, why because it seems counterproductive for fuel saving.
I thought Eco mode was about fuel saving though I must be honest, I have not noticed any fuel savings with Eco mode. Has anyone else experienced the same?

Jekecy
10-14-2015, 12:48 PM
I thought Eco mode was about fuel saving though I must be honest, I have not noticed any fuel savings with Eco mode. Has anyone else experienced the same?
Best way to find out is to drive a set amount of miles in one mode, reset the trip meter, and do the same amount for the other.

For my commute, I get about 13-14MPG on Comfort. With Eco, I get closer to 19MPG. I've noticed though that the longer you drive per trip, Eco's benefits start to grow. On shorter trips (<10mi), you're probably better off just going with Comfort.

cdauerer
10-14-2015, 03:01 PM
Soooo...back on track re: T6 fuel consumption.
Drove a well broken in XC90 T6 on a 600 km round trip in Southern Sweden with a mix of highway travel using cruise control at 140 km/h (86 mph), in town at 50 km/h (30 mph) and secondary roads with multiple passing bursts from 70 km/h (43 mph) to 130 km/h (80mph). Three adults, 22 inch wheels with wide tires. Average fuel economy of 10.5 l/100km (22 mpg). I thought that was pretty good for such a big car, considering my tendency for flat out acceleration (much to the dismay of my Swedish passengers).

Shan
10-14-2015, 03:09 PM
"So I was looking at the fuel consumption when off the throttle (coasting) in Eco mode and Comfort mode. In Eco mode it reads as 0.6l/100km and in Comfort mode it reads as 0.0l/100km. Has anyone else experienced this? If this is normal, why because it seems counterproductive for fuel saving."-clarify to me how this is off track re: T6 fuel consumption?

cdauerer
10-14-2015, 03:18 PM
"So I was looking at the fuel consumption when off the throttle (coasting) in Eco mode and Comfort mode. In Eco mode it reads as 0.6l/100km and in Comfort mode it reads as 0.0l/100km. Has anyone else experienced this? If this is normal, why because it seems counterproductive for fuel saving."-clarify to me how this is off track re: T6 fuel consumption?

Sorry, you were not off track, the T8 discussion in a posting re: T6 fuel consumption is off track. The benefits to using eco-mode are over long term usage, especially in cities because it shuts the engine off when coasting to a stop. When I drove the XC90, I never left comfort mode because I cannot be bothered to turn the AC back on. Not sure why you are seeing 0.6L/100 km. Usually on Decel it should be 0L/100 km as when the ECM sees no accelerator input and engine RPM over ~1,800 rpm, it shuts fuel off, regardless of drive mode.

Shan
10-14-2015, 04:12 PM
Sorry, you were not off track, the T8 discussion in a posting re: T6 fuel consumption is off track. The benefits to using eco-mode are over long term usage, especially in cities because it shuts the engine off when coasting to a stop. When I drove the XC90, I never left comfort mode because I cannot be bothered to turn the AC back on. Not sure why you are seeing 0.6L/100 km. Usually on Decel it should be 0L/100 km as when the ECM sees no accelerator input and engine RPM over ~1,800 rpm, it shuts fuel off, regardless of drive mode.

I should check if the RPM was over 1,800rpm, maybe that's the problem. When coasting on Eco mode it does pick up speed on a descent though on Comfort mode it stays at a constant speed. Wonder if that has anything to do with the differing fuel consumptions.
I've come to the conclusion that in city driving, Eco mode isn't worth it though on the open road it's benefits will probably be more apparent.

Paradox
10-14-2015, 04:18 PM
I should check if the RPM was over 1,800rpm, maybe that's the problem. When coasting on Eco mode it does pick up speed on a descent though on Comfort mode it stays at a constant speed. Wonder if that has anything to do with the differing fuel consumptions.
I've come to the conclusion that in city driving, Eco mode isn't worth it though on the open road it's benefits will probably be more apparent.

It picks up speed on descent in ECO mode because of the eco coast feature that engages in ECO mode when certain speeds etc are met. It basically decouples the transmission and essentially allows for coasting in neutral.

volvocu
10-14-2015, 04:33 PM
My theory: in eco mode the engine decoupling is engaging, as if you have selected neutral, so basically you get the same consumption as you do idling in neutral; OTOH in comfort mode when you disengage the throttle the car is still in gear and there is no consumption. It makes sense as to answering your question of how but it doesnt make much sense to me as I like to be in control and I would probably always use comfort and still save lots of fuel by managing the transmission for myself.

Shan
10-14-2015, 05:09 PM
My theory: in eco mode the engine decoupling is engaging, as if you have selected neutral, so basically you get the same consumption as you do idling in neutral; OTOH in comfort mode when you disengage the throttle the car is still in gear and there is no consumption. It makes sense as to answering your question of how but it doesnt make much sense to me as I like to be in control and I would probably always use comfort and still save lots of fuel by managing the transmission for myself.

Thank you for the responses. This theory seems to make the most sense as to explaining the differing fuel consumptions between Eco and Comfort modes when off the throttle on a descent. I agree with you that fuel can still be plenty saved on Comfort mode with proper management.