View Full Version : XC90 without panoramic roof, 3rd row and navigation?

finnvolvo
12-10-2014, 06:52 AM
Our current XC90 has the 3rd row, which we've used less than half a dozen times in the 11 years we've owned it.
Our second vehicle has a panoramic roof. I think I've opened it less than a dozen times in the past 4 years and could definitely live without it.
95%+ times we know exactly where we are going. If we don't, current smartphones have so good navigation features in them that I don't see a need for a fixed navigation system in a car.

What is the likelihood that Volvo will release a XC90 base model in the US without panoramic roof, 3rd row seating and navigation sometime in the future? The vehicle would be safer in a roll over, weigh considerably less (300-400 lbs?) and would probably have a lower price tag by maybe $2,000-3,000.

JRL
12-10-2014, 07:53 AM
Slim to none
I suppose you may be able to special order one later on (couple of years from now) but not this year.
Not sure about the 3rd seat, the entire design is built around that.
You also realize that even if you could do this, it would have 0 resale value!

kf93
12-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Third seat isn't on the base model in Europe so that one is technically possible. Roof and nav will probably not be an option to remove.

finnvolvo
12-10-2014, 08:56 AM
You also realize that even if you could do this, it would have 0 resale value!

Could you please elaborate on this point. Are you talking about the Nav or the roof? I would imagine there are a lot of car buyers who don't need/want a third row.

kf93
12-10-2014, 09:07 AM
I think the XC60 is the target vehicle for people that don't want the third row, but you do lose some luggage capacity. Otherwise those two vehicles seem very similar. Tons of them driving around the base here in Germany and it took me some time to be able to recognize the differences.

Conradi
12-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Technically itís possible because it are all options. If you want you can even get an XC90 with only FWD (only icw smallest Diesel engine) or textile upholstery (Kinetic entry-level). However, low trim level variants are not common available on all European markets. As far as I know, only German has the possibility to select the 5-seater option. To my knowledge the FWD-variant is only available in the Netherlands at the moment. It seems even European customers are adopting towards higher standard trim levels.
In general these low-level variants are only there to reduce the entry price-tag in advertisements. If you really want to order them, there are usually some commercial barriers like long delivery periods, limited colour-options and so on.

European prices excl. taxes:
Sunroof - Ä 1350
Sensus/Navigation - Ä 980
3rd row (7 seater) - Ä 1250
Of course that you donít save that total when Volvo would offer a US variant without them ;-)

GregK
12-10-2014, 10:58 AM
I think the XC60 is the target vehicle for people that don't want the third row, but you do lose some luggage capacity. Otherwise those two vehicles seem very similar. Tons of them driving around the base here in Germany and it took me some time to be able to recognize the differences.

That is exactly what I was thinking......for those people it seems a XC60 fits the bill.........

finnvolvo
12-10-2014, 02:17 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking......for those people it seems a XC60 fits the bill.........

XC60 is not an alternative for us: Too small inside and GVWR is below 6,000 lbs for business use purposes

The first generation XC90 came as a 5- and 7-seater version in US, perhaps the new one will be offered as a 5-seater down the road. My biggest beef is with the never-used 3rd row, where we would carry around the weight of an average adult male in the back all the time reducing performance and mileage.

napster
12-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Could you please elaborate on this point. Are you talking about the Nav or the roof? I would imagine there are a lot of car buyers who don't need/want a third row.

In the US, premium segment cars need to have two things. One is a sunroof/panoramic roof and the other is leather upholstery. Without these the resale value of the car will be far less than a car with these items.

goVolvo
12-10-2014, 03:14 PM
V90 will have two rows, probably almost for sure I think.

T Schroeder
12-10-2014, 03:45 PM
XC60 is not an alternative for us: Too small inside and GVWR is below 6,000 lbs for business use purposes

The first generation XC90 came as a 5- and 7-seater version in US, perhaps the new one will be offered as a 5-seater down the road. My biggest beef is with the never-used 3rd row, where we would carry around the weight of an average adult male in the back all the time reducing performance and mileage.

With the weight reduction in the new XC90, there is a chance it may not meet the 6000 pound GVWR requirement anyway. And on the the last XC90, the only way to qualify was for the car to be a 7-passenger, all-wheel-drive.

finnvolvo
12-10-2014, 06:42 PM
With the weight reduction in the new XC90, there is a chance it may not meet the 6000 pound GVWR requirement anyway. And on the the last XC90, the only way to qualify was for the car to be a 7-passenger, all-wheel-drive.

It has been mentioned elsewhere that the new XC90 will meet the the 6,000 lbs threshold, so that needs to be confirmed. Thanks for jogging my memory re the old XC90. I had already forgotten about that, it needed to be a 7-seater to pass the IRS limit.

itwontstopsnowin
12-19-2014, 08:30 PM
Being in the car business, I can attest that a 5 passenger XC90 is fairly difficult to sell on the used market. EVERYBODY wants the third row. If I were buying an XC90, I'd buy one with the third row simply for the resale value down the road. I presently own an XC90 V8 with the third row, and I folded it down the day I bought the car, and haven't folded it up since.