View Full Version : Starting the engine from a distance?

PhatboyC
03-07-2015, 08:39 AM
Anyone know if remote start is only done with Volvo's On Call app or can we do it also from the car's remote?

I have a Blackberry from work and on On Call app is for Android or Iphone right now. Not sure how long it will take...

At least the remote start service is free for lifetime with the On Call app.

Paradox
03-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Afaik it's done thru the phone and the app. No sure about the new xc90 but it cost extra, a lot extra, to have remote start via a fob in other 2015 Volvos. And you are still limited to xxx feet to start the car using the fob.

GrecianVolvo
03-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Anyone know if remote start is only done with Volvo's On Call app or can we do it also from the car's remote?

I have a Blackberry from work and on On Call app is for Android or Iphone right now. Not sure how long it will take...

At least the remote start service is free for lifetime with the On Call app.
By default, through the Volvo On Call app. However, you can purchase the hardware and software that can be installed at the retailer and then you can use your key fob. This is for the CURRENT model Volvos; I doubt the XC90 will offer that (other than the phone app)

Jekecy
03-07-2015, 05:18 PM
By default, through the Volvo On Call app. However, you can purchase the hardware and software that can be installed at the retailer and then you can use your key fob. This is for the CURRENT model Volvos; I doubt the XC90 will offer that (other than the phone app)

Even my '99 Ford Expedition has this capability. I guess this is to nudge people to pay for the On-Call service, eh?

Hopefully starting with the new XC90 Volvo stays on point on making sure the app and service are completely reliable. This isn't isolated to Volvo, but it seems every manufacturer drops the ball on their phone apps. Looking at it even right now, every single one is below 3-stars. For either iOS and Android.

The one sole exception being Tesla. They've been consistently up to par with phone tech.

Paradox
03-07-2015, 06:27 PM
I have so many more situations where I'd like to start the car for cooling or heating from a further distance than the fob would allow so I'm fine with app only. Ymmv.

pattyweb
03-07-2015, 06:43 PM
I still think Volvo should have offered remote start from the key fob as well.

PhatboyC
03-08-2015, 07:53 AM
Interesting info everyone. Thanks

vietao
03-09-2015, 06:03 PM
I ordered my new XC90 today. Very excited. I was reading this thread and was so happy to find out the remote start feature is part of the On Call service. I was going to look into getting a after market option, but since it's a native Volvo feature, I don't have to.

Does On Call come included with all trim levels? And is there a subscription fee for On Call?

Also, for the Volvo On Call service, I assume Volvo will partner with a mobile carrier such as Verizon, ATT, Sprint, etc. to provide Internet access to the car. Will that be something the car owner will need to pay on a monthly or yearly basis?

johnee
03-09-2015, 08:14 PM
see this thread

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?225865-Volvo-on-call-subscription

vietao
03-09-2015, 11:33 PM
see this thread

awesome. that explains a lot. I will use the 6 month trial to see what it does and if it's work paying for the subscription.

GrecianVolvo
03-10-2015, 01:30 AM
vietao,

Congratulations on the order! Can you share the model, trim level, color combination and options that you chose?

PhatboyC
03-11-2015, 07:27 PM
see this thread

Nice link but we have to be careful as some info is already outdated. As I stated above "...the remote start service is free for lifetime with the On Call app."

This and the SOS function is free lifetime now. Which doesn't seem to be the case reading your link? I found this info in the Canadian XC90 dealer guide posted on this forum. Not sure if its just for 2016 XC90 or more...

andy603
05-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Just trolling the forum regarding remote start..good thread but I'm confused..Phatboy said that VOC is free for lifetime and therefore remote start is free via the app? Is that correct? No need to buy AT&T hotspot service?

Snowdog44
05-24-2015, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=I found this info in the Canadian XC90 dealer guide posted on this forum. Not sure if its just for 2016 XC90 or more...[/QUOTE]

could you please post a link to this dealer guide? Thanks

GrecianVolvo
05-25-2015, 12:11 AM
Just trolling the forum regarding remote start..good thread but I'm confused..Phatboy said that VOC is free for lifetime and therefore remote start is free via the app? Is that correct? No need to buy AT&T hotspot service?

VOC is not free. The SOS function, that he mentions, is. The VOC is complimentary for the first 6 months of ownership through which you can enjoy the starting/stopping of the engine.

andy603
05-25-2015, 06:31 AM
VOC is not free. The SOS function, that he mentions, is. The VOC is complimentary for the first 6 months of ownership through which you can enjoy the starting/stopping of the engine.

Ok thanks...my dealer sent me these prices for VOC after the first 6 months:
Add 12 months
(Total Add 18 months of 2 years including 6 month complimentary trial) 200

Add 18 months
(Total Add of 2 years including 6 month complimentary trial) 250

ADD 30 months
(Total of 3 years including 6 month complimentary trial) 390

ADD 42 months
(Total of 4 years including 6 month complimentary trial) 500

ADD 54 months
(Total of 5 years including 6 month complimentary trial) 600

GrecianVolvo
05-25-2015, 01:30 PM
They are correct. As you can see, the monthly cost is not $35.

citivas
05-25-2015, 04:34 PM
They are correct. As you can see, the monthly cost is not $35.

But that's not the whole cost. You separately have to subscribe to the Sensus Connect service with AT&T or none of the remote features of the VOC will work. By the time you factor that in, I suspect $35 is close.

tarrbot
05-25-2015, 06:27 PM
But that's not the whole cost. You separately have to subscribe to the Sensus Connect service with AT&T or none of the remote features of the VOC will work. By the time you factor that in, I suspect $35 is close.

That's discouraging.

I can order a nice seven layer wedding cake but I have to pay monthly for candles and the icing to make it pretty.

What a bummer...

goldenfooler
05-26-2015, 05:30 PM

You do not have to have the senus connect service to use the phone app.

8-track
05-26-2015, 06:07 PM

That's great news - Volvo needs to do a better job of articulating what functions are enabled with the two services. Based on what I can gather from the volvo website, this is my best guess...can somebody correct me?

ON CALL (~$10/mo)
- Remote Start from App
- Remote Lock/Unlock from App
- Driving Journal
- Check your Car's Status (engine lights, odometer, fuel gauge, etc)

Sensus Connect: ($??/mo)
- Data Services for updating/downloading apps, etc
- Wifi Hotspot for other devices in your car

The biggest question I have is whether those two items under "Sensus Connect" can be handled by using the data plan on my personal smartphone. This line on the Sensus Connect webpage makes me think you can, "You can use your smartphone (via Bluetooth or wifi) to enable all the connected functionality of Sensus Connect."

In which case there's no reason to pay for Sensus Connect. But maybe I'm missing something?

andy603
05-27-2015, 10:51 AM
This is what I'm still trying to figure out- in the context of the title of this thread which attempts to answer the question "what will it cost for me to start my XC90 remotely" The On Call prices seems clear and are published but it remains unclear how Sensus Connect fits it, if needed, why, etc.

citivas
05-27-2015, 11:10 AM

Yes you do to use any of the remote car features. Without the Sensus connect service you will not be able to remotely lock/unlock, turn he engine on/off, remotely find the location of the car or check the status, etc. This is what Volvo of North America has said. And it's logical too -- without a data service how would Volvo's servers communicate with the car? They need the data service to do that. Of course they could use the AT&T service without charging you, but that's not what they have said is their intent.

citivas
05-27-2015, 11:12 AM
It's not possible to figure out the full cost yet because Volvo is withholding the cost of the Sensus Connect service. They are offering it free for 6 months now and said they would announce pricing in the fall.

8-track
05-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Yes you do to use any of the remote car features. .

Then what is the $10 On Call service for? I thought that $10 paid for the data services. When you look at the On Call page on Volvo's site it doesn't make any mention of needing Sensus Connect to use those features. And on the Sensus Connect page it doesn't say anything about enabling On Call, just hotspot and app updates.

Admittedly I have no idea what I'm talking about but just basing it on what the Volvo pages say, the Sensus Connect service is for people who don't have a smartphone but still want data services to do app updates and such...But I've been wrong half a dozen times already this morning so... :)

MDicnMan
05-27-2015, 11:35 AM
Not to be a wet blanket, but all of this goes on the assumption that VOC works at all for you. The other discussions regarding the performance of VOC / Sensus are not very encouraging.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?230235 (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?230235-Very-disappointed-in-Sensus-connected-car-wifi-is-worthless!)
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?227041 (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?227041-2015-5-internet-apps-issue)

citivas
05-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Then what is the $10 On Call service for? I thought that $10 paid for the data services. When you look at the On Call page on Volvo's site it doesn't make any mention of needing Sensus Connect to use those features. And on the Sensus Connect page it doesn't say anything about enabling On Call, just hotspot and app updates.

Admittedly I have no idea what I'm talking about but just basing it on what the Volvo pages say, the Sensus Connect service is for people who don't have a smartphone but still want data services to do app updates and such...But I've been wrong half a dozen times already this morning so... :)

I'm not defending it. I am just explaining what I was very told, as well as what has been posted in this forum in the past. I called and very carefully asked for clarification and was told in no uncertain terms by Volvo North America that once the 6 month free window expired that to use the remote features of Volvo on Call you would need to also subscribe to separately subscribe to their data plan. They said you could subscribe to Sensus Connect without subscribing to Volvo On Call (and not get those features), and you could use your own mobile phone instead of the AT&T Sensus Connect plan if you had tethering/mobile hotspot.. But that to use the remote car features you would have to subscribe to both services separately.

citivas
05-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Not to be a wet blanket, but all of this goes on the assumption that VOC works at all for you. The other discussions regarding the performance of VOC / Sensus are not very encouraging.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?230235 (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?230235-Very-disappointed-in-Sensus-connected-car-wifi-is-worthless!)
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?227041 (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?227041-2015-5-internet-apps-issue)

Yeah, so far Volvo has not been able to get the mobile app to work with my car. I can his the On Call button in the car and (usually) get a live rep but the iPhone app refuses to accept my VIN, even with both the dealer and Volvo On Call rep working on it. I assume this will get resolved soon though...

citivas
05-27-2015, 11:42 AM
BTW, where is this $10/month coming from? None of the plans get the price to that, unless you do Volvo's nonsense math of including the 6 free months in your calculation which makes no sense. The cheapest plan, if you buy 5 years in advance gets you to $11.11/month. An annual plan costs you $16.66. And, again, this does not include the cost of the data plan which is it is similar to previous plans when announced will likely more than double this cost.

MDicnMan
05-27-2015, 11:59 AM
BTW, where is this $10/month coming from? None of the plans get the price to that, unless you do Volvo's nonsense math of including the 6 free months in your calculation which makes no sense. The cheapest plan, if you buy 5 years in advance gets you to $11.11/month. An annual plan costs you $16.66. And, again, this does not include the cost of the data plan which is it is similar to previous plans when announced will likely more than double this cost.

I think the math being used is 540 for 54 months (plus the free 6) if you but the service for at time of delivery. As for the data, in my conversation with the Volvo Customer Care Team I was told that the VOC features are completely independent of the Sensus data features and that they will work without buying a data plan. This makes complete sense since the alternative it tethering your phone which would make it hard to use VOC. That said, they are still using the AT&T towers so if you have no coverage, it won't work.

8-track
05-27-2015, 12:03 PM
BTW, where is this $10/month coming from?

Good question. I was including the free 6 months because that was just easier to rationalize for me as volvo is merely marking up the non free months to pay for the free months. So I view it as "I get 24 months of service for x price - however volvo wants to spread that out (free for 6 months, more expensive for 18 or lump sum or whatever, in the end it's 24 months for x price".

But I can see why you'd want to exclude that - i'm just not good at math so I keep it simple :)

citivas
05-27-2015, 12:04 PM
I think the math being used is 540 for 54 months (plus the free 6) if you but the service for at time of delivery. As for the data, in my conversation with the Volvo Customer Care Team I was told that the VOC features are completely independent of the Sensus data features and that they will work without buying a data plan. This makes complete sense since the alternative it tethering your phone which would make it hard to use VOC. That said, they are still using the AT&T towers so if you have no coverage, it won't work.

Right, but that math is an insincere marketing speak. You effectively already paid for the first 6 months as part of your car purchase. It makes no sense to double count it again when computing the monthly cost of a new plan you are separately and electively paying for after you have consumed that 6 month plan.

Let me be clear, I would be happy if Volvo North America is wrong about needing both plans. There is zero chance I misinterpreted it. I found it pretty incredulous to need both so I pretty much made a pest of myself re-clarifying it several ways and the rep was unequivocal that you couldn't use VoC without the data plan. Hopefully this rep was wrong and it's just a training issue since these are new products. That would be better.

8-track
05-27-2015, 12:10 PM
I guess it depends on how you see the cost of that free 6 months being paid. I think it's being paid by marking up the cost of the non-free months, not as a cost of the car itself.

More importantly it's a little bit crazy that something as simple as "Do you need both services to remotely start your car" is not something Volvo can agree on....

tarrbot
05-27-2015, 12:11 PM
Right, but that math is an insincere marketing speak. You effectively already paid for the first 6 months as part of your car purchase. It makes no sense to double count it again when computing the monthly cost of a new plan you are separately and electively paying for after you have consumed that 6 month plan.

Let me be clear, I would be happy if Volvo North America is wrong about needing both plans. There is zero chance I misinterpreted it. I found it pretty incredulous to need both so I pretty much made a pest of myself re-clarifying it several ways and the rep was unequivocal that you couldn't use VoC without the data plan. Hopefully this rep was wrong and it's just a training issue since these are new products. That would be better.

Looking at it from an operations POV, I can see why you need the plan Volvo is offering. Think about the scenario for a minute.

If I had a data plan on my phone and use it for Sensus and therefore for VoC, how does VoC work if I have my phone when I'm in the office or away from the vehicle? It can't.

So I think that's the thought process if I am understanding how they work correctly.

I still don't like the remote start being only on a data plan because there will be times I am in areas and can't remote start that vehicle when it makes even more sense for me to do so... out in the wilderness, for example, and not the comfort of my own garage.

I think it's a horrible design decision because of that.

tarrbot
05-27-2015, 12:13 PM
I guess it depends on how you see the cost of that free 6 months being paid. I think it's being paid by marking up the cost of the non-free months, not as a cost of the car itself.

More importantly it's a little bit crazy that something as simple as "Do you need both services to remotely start your car" is not something Volvo can agree on....

Well, for costing estimates, you have to leave that 6 months free off because after 3 years, 4 years, 5 years, etc how much does it cost per month?

If you rolled in the 6 months free in your estimate, your estimate is now wrong.

8-track
05-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Looking at it from an operations POV, I can see why you need the plan Volvo is offering. Think about the scenario for a minute.

Remember that there are two plans being used here. Here's how I view the scenario working:

1. You pay for VOC only. The $10 (or whatever) you pay to that covers the cost of the car communicating over the cell network to your phone for those functions.

2. You pay for Sensus connect in the case where you don't have a smart phone but you still want data services like updating the applications in sensus. Because there is more data being sent for an app update, the cost of this service is higher than the VOC service.

But again, I have NO idea what I'm talking about, but reading the pages on Volvo's site that's how I interpreted it.

8-track
05-27-2015, 12:16 PM
Well, for costing estimates, you have to leave that 6 months free off because after 3 years, 4 years, 5 years, etc how much does it cost per month?

That's a valid point.

dgrayson72
05-27-2015, 12:43 PM
So are the owner's manuals online wrong or just really poorly written? http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/2016-Volvo-XC90-Quick-Guide-v1.pdf

When I read about the Connecting to the Internet in the Quick Guide, I see several choices: Bluetooth, WiFi, USB or via the vehicle's modem with the footnote "2 When the modem is used to make the connection, the Volvo On Call services will use this connection." This clearly makes it sound like the VOC works with the other systems, but the preference will be to use the modem connection.

Under the remaining sections such as updating apps it says "In order to download, update or delete apps, the vehicle must be connected to the Internet" and in the connecting to the internet section above it lists 4 choices of how to do that.

citivas
05-27-2015, 01:52 PM
So are the owner's manuals online wrong or just really poorly written? http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/2016-Volvo-XC90-Quick-Guide-v1.pdf

When I read about the Connecting to the Internet in the Quick Guide, I see several choices: Bluetooth, WiFi, USB or via the vehicle's modem with the footnote "2 When the modem is used to make the connection, the Volvo On Call services will use this connection." This clearly makes it sound like the VOC works with the other systems, but the preference will be to use the modem connection.

Under the remaining sections such as updating apps it says "In order to download, update or delete apps, the vehicle must be connected to the Internet" and in the connecting to the internet section above it lists 4 choices of how to do that.

I asked Volvo about this, because I have a couple mobile devices with built-in tethering plans already that under-use my data quota, so I have no need for Sensus Connect.. When you use the remote car features of VoC your phone is not in the vehicle -- it's with you remotely. So they have to use the car modem and AT&T to connect to the car that you are not in. This was why they said you had to have a Sensus Connect subscription. There is no question that for VoC to work remotely it needs to use the car modem, the only question is whether Volvo makes you pay for the separate data subscription (as they said when I contacted them) or whether they bake the limited use of the AT&T network into their VoC costs.

goldenfooler
05-27-2015, 03:07 PM
Yes you do to use any of the remote car features. Without the Sensus connect service you will not be able to remotely lock/unlock, turn he engine on/off, remotely find the location of the car or check the status, etc. This is what Volvo of North America has said. And it's logical too -- without a data service how would Volvo's servers communicate with the car? They need the data service to do that. Of course they could use the AT&T service without charging you, but that's not what they have said is their intent.

If this is the case the Volvo has changed the process and there is no internal paper work I can find to support this idea. The car has a 3g modem, the connect is a data plan and remote starting would only be sending one signal to the car, not much data used.

Again I do not agree and have found nothing to agree with you on this.

citivas
05-27-2015, 03:10 PM
If this is the case the Volvo has changed the process and there is no internal paper work I can find to support this idea. The car has a 3g modem, the connect is a data plan and remote starting would only be sending one signal to the car, not much data used.

Again I do not agree and have found nothing to agree with you on this.

Again, I am only repeating what Volvo North America's rep said. That's great if they are wrong. I won't need the Sensus Connect subscription at all then since I can tether to my mobile phone for all the internet access in while in the car.

GrecianVolvo
05-27-2015, 04:24 PM
Again, I am only repeating what Volvo North America's rep said. That's great if they are wrong. I won't need the Sensus Connect subscription at all then since I can tether to my mobile phone for all the internet access in while in the car.
Whoever you spoke with was either incorrect or misunderstood you.

You DO NOT need a data plan to access the VOC app. You just need to subscribe to the VOC app and the car to be provisioned through the system to connect to the VOC app. Simple as that!

tarrbot
05-27-2015, 04:34 PM
Whoever you spoke with was either incorrect or misunderstood you.

You DO NOT need a data plan to access the VOC app. You just need to subscribe to the VOC app and the car to be provisioned through the system to connect to the VOC app. Simple as that!

What does "car to be provisioned through the system to connect to the VOC app" mean?

Does that mean that Volvo (on their network) have to program the car/VOC to use something outside of Sensus Connect to connect to other devices?

Does that mean an owner can program VOC to use other devices outside of Sensus Connect?

Does that mean something else entirely?

I work with a lot of network carriers. When you use the term provision in that environment, it usually means from a network point of view and has to be done at a higher level than an end-user.

I'm just trying to be clear here on specifics.

8-track
05-27-2015, 05:27 PM
I think he just means you register your car using the app. There's some sort of a registration/provisioning process when you launch the app that asks for the VIN number of your car so it ties your app to that VIN on their servers.

GrecianVolvo
05-27-2015, 06:07 PM
What does "car to be provisioned through the system to connect to the VOC app" mean?

Does that mean that Volvo (on their network) have to program the car/VOC to use something outside of Sensus Connect to connect to other devices?

Does that mean an owner can program VOC to use other devices outside of Sensus Connect?

Does that mean something else entirely?

I work with a lot of network carriers. When you use the term provision in that environment, it usually means from a network point of view and has to be done at a higher level than an end-user.

I'm just trying to be clear here on specifics.
8-track is on the right...track.

citivas
05-27-2015, 07:53 PM
So is VoC using the car modem and AT&T connection when you access it remotely?

Calhon
05-27-2015, 08:24 PM
So is VoC using the car modem and AT&T connection when you access it remotely?

Yes. It's always connected to AT&T to support at minimum the emergency lifeline features, which do not require a VOC subscription.

andy603
05-28-2015, 11:58 AM
For comparison, on my Escalade I have OnStar. They have 3 plan options and at the sake of getting to complex, the remote start capability via their app is included in all 3 plans, the cheapest being $19.95/month...but that *includes* any connectivity (not sure who they use for that, but 'it just works'). Volvo seems to make this quite complex considering people seem to still be bickering about what you actually need and how much it costs to get remote start. Cool additional feature with OnStar is that my SUV is equipped with a built-in cell phone with its own phone number to use as a back up in case my dies, etc. This is priced separately by number of minutes but its cool if you think you need it.

Calhon
05-28-2015, 12:31 PM
For comparison, on my Escalade I have OnStar. They have 3 plan options and at the sake of getting to complex, the remote start capability via their app is included in all 3 plans, the cheapest being $19.95/month...but that *includes* any connectivity (not sure who they use for that, but 'it just works'). Volvo seems to make this quite complex considering people seem to still be bickering about what you actually need and how much it costs to get remote start. Cool additional feature with OnStar is that my SUV is equipped with a built-in cell phone with its own phone number to use as a back up in case my dies, etc. This is priced separately by number of minutes but its cool if you think you need it.

Volvo has only one (all-inclusive) package of VOC subscription features, which includes the required connectivity. Only the term of the contract varies, and the lifeline services require no subscription.

The confusion is about the distinction between the connectivity needed to support VOC and the data plan needed to support internet applications for streaming music, etc. No data plan is needed for VOC.

pbfr001
05-28-2015, 02:23 PM
I asked Volvo about this, because I have a couple mobile devices with built-in tethering plans already that under-use my data quota, so I have no need for Sensus Connect.. When you use the remote car features of VoC your phone is not in the vehicle -- it's with you remotely. So they have to use the car modem and AT&T to connect to the car that you are not in. This was why they said you had to have a Sensus Connect subscription. There is no question that for VoC to work remotely it needs to use the car modem, the only question is whether Volvo makes you pay for the separate data subscription (as they said when I contacted them) or whether they bake the limited use of the AT&T network into their VoC costs.

I may be muddying the water with more questions than answers, but in reading through the manual on this topic, it lists the different ways the vehicle connects to the internet (as Citivas referenced). There is also a SIM card port near the spare tire which is shown with an illustration. The manual states, "Connect using the vehicle's integrated modem: When the vehicle is connected using the modem, Volvo On Call services will use the connection.

Steps: 1. Insert a personal SIM card in the holder. 2. Tap Settings in the center display's Top view. 3. Tap Communication -> Vehicle Modem Internet. 4. Tap Vehicle Modem Internet to activate/deactivate. 5. If a different connection was used previously, confirm the connection change. 6. Enter the SIM card's PIN code. The vehicle will connect to the network.

I use AT&T's service (in California) for my phones and tables using their mobile data sharing plan, so I went on their website and they show an option for connecting vehicles for only $10/month:

"Connect a vehicle for $10 to Mobile Share Value: Eligible vehicles only. Pricing is for shared data service only. Requires minimum Mobile Share Value® plan (Unlimited Talk & Text plan starts at $20 per month for 300MB data, or data-only plan starts at $30 per month for 4GB) plus $10 per month access charge per vehicle. Devices: limit 10 per plan. Data: Overage charges apply if you exceed monthly data allowance. General Wireless Service Terms: Subject to Wireless Customer Agreement or applicable Business Agreement. Credit approval may apply. Activation or upgrade fee and deposit may apply. Other monthly charges per line: May include taxes, federal and state universal service charges, a Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge (up to $1.25), a gross receipts surcharge, an Administrative Fee, and other government assessments which are not government-required charges"

If I'm interpreting this correctly, after the free 6 months of Sensus Connect, I could add the AT&T "Connected Vehicle" option and pay only $10/month for the service and any data used by the vehicle would be count against my existing AT&T shared data plan -- which is great. I guess, in theory, another alternative would be to use a pre-paid SIM card instead? It that scenario, I could configure the car so that it used my phone's data connection while I'm in it, and use the pre-paid SIM card for Volvo on Call tasks (remote lock/unlock, remote vehicle start) when I'm not in it. Since these, in theory, require very little data use, you might get quite a few months of On Call use out of a single pre-paid car. Of course, all of this is conjecture and I do not have my XC90 in front of me yet, but it will interesting to see how all of these options work out.

GrecianVolvo
05-28-2015, 02:25 PM

The only reason people are "bickering" is because they do not have the right info. Any informed Volvo sales/service personnel will let them know that the owner does not need a data plan for VOC. The monthly cost is between $10 to $11, depending on term, etc.

It is quite simple.

citivas
05-28-2015, 02:31 PM
The only reason people are "bickering" is because they do not have the right info. Any informed Volvo sales/service personnel will let them know that the owner does not need a data plan for VOC. The monthly cost is between $10 to $11, depending on term, etc.

It is quite simple.

Not to be confrontational and I don't think the amounts are materially different, but I just hate this marketing BS that obscures truth... The monthly cost is $11.11-$16.66/month depending on the term. You only get to $10 if you include the 6 months free you already paid for with the vehicle purchase into your average and pre-pay for 4.5 more years. That's like improving your GPA by giving yourself an A in "free period." The reality is you already consumed that 6 months when you go to buy an extension. So if you are buying for 54 months the only correct and logical way to determine the cost-per-month is to divide the total by 54, not 60.

citivas
05-28-2015, 02:34 PM
I may be muddying the water with more questions than answers, but in reading through the manual on this topic, it lists the different ways the vehicle connects to the internet (as Citivas referenced). There is also a SIM card port near the spare tire which is shown with an illustration. The manual states, "Connect using the vehicle's integrated modem: When the vehicle is connected using the modem, Volvo On Call services will use the connection.

Steps: 1. Insert a personal SIM card in the holder. 2. Tap Settings in the center display's Top view. 3. Tap Communication -> Vehicle Modem Internet. 4. Tap Vehicle Modem Internet to activate/deactivate. 5. If a different connection was used previously, confirm the connection change. 6. Enter the SIM card's PIN code. The vehicle will connect to the network.

I use AT&T's service (in California) for my phones and tables using their mobile data sharing plan, so I went on their website and they show an option for connecting vehicles for only $10/month:

"Connect a vehicle for $10 to Mobile Share Value: Eligible vehicles only. Pricing is for shared data service only. Requires minimum Mobile Share Value® plan (Unlimited Talk & Text plan starts at $20 per month for 300MB data, or data-only plan starts at $30 per month for 4GB) plus $10 per month access charge per vehicle. Devices: limit 10 per plan. Data: Overage charges apply if you exceed monthly data allowance. General Wireless Service Terms: Subject to Wireless Customer Agreement or applicable Business Agreement. Credit approval may apply. Activation or upgrade fee and deposit may apply. Other monthly charges per line: May include taxes, federal and state universal service charges, a Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge (up to $1.25), a gross receipts surcharge, an Administrative Fee, and other government assessments which are not government-required charges"

If I'm interpreting this correctly, after the free 6 months of Sensus Connect, I could add the AT&T "Connected Vehicle" option and pay only $10/month for the service and any data used by the vehicle would be count against my existing AT&T shared data plan -- which is great. I guess, in theory, another alternative would be to use a pre-paid SIM card instead? It that scenario, I could configure the car so that it used my phone's data connection while I'm in it, and use the pre-paid SIM card for Volvo on Call tasks (remote lock/unlock, remote vehicle start) when I'm not in it. Since these, in theory, require very little data use, you might get quite a few months of On Call use out of a single pre-paid car. Of course, all of this is conjecture and I do not have my XC90 in front of me yet, but it will interesting to see how all of these options work out.

I asked about this when I spoke to the Volvo North American rep and they said they would have a proprietary pricing package (which haven't released pricing info yet) and the $10 AT&T add-on wasn't applicable. That said, this was the same person who insisted you needed the Volvo AT&T plan to use VoC remotely, so take it with a huge grain of salt.

Calhon
05-28-2015, 02:56 PM
If I'm interpreting this correctly, after the free 6 months of Sensus Connect, I could add the AT&T "Connected Vehicle" option and pay only $10/month for the service and any data used by the vehicle would be count against my existing AT&T shared data plan -- which is great. I guess, in theory, another alternative would be to use a pre-paid SIM card instead? It that scenario, I could configure the car so that it used my phone's data connection while I'm in it, and use the pre-paid SIM card for Volvo on Call tasks (remote lock/unlock, remote vehicle start) when I'm not in i

No need for any of that w.r.t Volvo on call. The VOC subscription includes a connection to AT&T via the car's built-in modem, which supports all the VOC features. No additional connectivity or payment is required.

You will need a data plan for the Sensus Connect internet applications (e.g., streaming music, internet radio) after the 6-month trial period. Pricing has not yet been announced.

The connectivity for internet access (data plan) and VOC are independent of each other.

GrecianVolvo
05-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Not to be confrontational and I don't think the amounts are materially different, but I just hate this marketing BS that obscures truth... The monthly cost is $11.11-$16.66/month depending on the term. You only get to $10 if you include the 6 months free you already paid for with the vehicle purchase into your average and pre-pay for 4.5 more years. That's like improving your GPA by giving yourself an A in "free period." The reality is you already consumed that 6 months when you go to buy an extension. So if you are buying for 54 months the only correct and logical way to determine the cost-per-month is to divide the total by 54, not 60.
No problem. Shortest term is $16/mo. Longest term is $11/mo. Midterm is $13.8/mo.

Far cry from the $35/mo others were claiming.

andy603
05-28-2015, 05:20 PM
when someone actually buys it and uses it, please post how much it cost! My dealer did provide the 11-16 number but also stated that there was additional AT&T charge of $35. They cannot explain any further, therefore I think the only way to know for sure is to see someone using/paying it!

citivas
05-28-2015, 05:40 PM
when someone actually buys it and uses it, please post how much it cost! My dealer did provide the 11-16 number but also stated that there was additional AT&T charge of $35. They cannot explain any further, therefore I think the only way to know for sure is to see someone using/paying it!

Since this is consistent with what the Volvo of North America XC90 product specialist told me on the phone (although she didn't get into pricing for the AT&T subscription), it sounds like there is some training issues / information transfer needed internally. Goes with the territory for us early adopters. Those of us on this forum probably know more than the average employee at a Volvo dealer right now.

GrecianVolvo
05-28-2015, 05:46 PM

As I wrote here (and elsewhere); no need for data plan in order to use the VOC app.

jnusaputra
05-28-2015, 08:40 PM
so how will this work in canada? you need a SIM + data + VOC app? so basically you will be paying about $75/month after the 6 month free? :(

MDicnMan
05-29-2015, 01:34 AM
I'm a bit confused by your math. The 54 month plan is 540 if you buy it up front or presumably if you negotiate. I paid 540 and subsequently demanded a refund because there is no AT&T coverage at all where I live so nothing with VOC works at all.

citivas
05-29-2015, 07:34 AM
I'm a bit confused by your math. The 54 month plan is 540 if you buy it up front or presumably if you negotiate. I paid 540 and subsequently demanded a refund because there is no AT&T coverage at all where I live so nothing with VOC works at all.

See post #17 on the first page. 54 month plan is listed as $600 not $540. Volvo calls it $10/month because they divide by 60 months assuming the 6 free months you already got with the car purchase gets to count in averaging the monthly cost of your new plan. The point is the cost should be divided by however many months you pay for, not plus 6. If they really sell it at $540 contrary to their price sheet it would be $10 if you were willing to pre-pay for 4.5 years.

PhatboyC
09-19-2015, 08:22 AM
Now that we have more XC90 on the road, any one using the remote start service from the On Call app? Winter is coming!

Paradox
09-19-2015, 08:38 AM
Now that we have more XC90 on the road, any one using the remote start service from the On Call app? Winter is coming!

I've used it a number of times since purchasing in May to cool the cabin down during the summer. I've had no real issues with the VOC app, its been quite reliable for me both at home and while on the road in other states.

Jennak898
09-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Wait, so is remote start a free future for life or does it come with the monthly service cost?

GrecianVolvo
09-19-2015, 04:52 PM
Wait, so is remote start a free future for life or does it come with the monthly service cost?

It is a free feature for the trial period of the Volvo On Call app, which is complimentary for the first 6 months of ownership.

kevinwsnc
09-19-2015, 10:54 PM
BEWARE: You may lose money if you renew for long period of time. I did like the service somewhat and planned to keep my Volvo for years. However, I was in a major accident (not my fault - a guy ran a stop light) and my car was totaled. Prior to the accident, I renewed my Volvo On Call for 54 months. I paid $600 for 54 months. After the accident, I realized I had paid for over 4 years of service that I would not be able to use. I called Volvo to get a refund since I obviously would not be able to use the service since the car was totaled. Volvo said too bad - we have your $600 and are going to keep it even though we know we can't provide you the service for the next 48 months. It may be tempting to renew for a longer period of time because $11.11 per month is more reasonable than $16.67 per month. However, if anything happens to your car, you could be out a lot of money. It basically cost me $100 per month for the service (used 6 of the 54 months). Not worth $16.67 per month for the service and absolutely not worth $100 per month! Also, as I understand it, if you sell the car, it is not transferable and the new owner will have to buy the same service again. I am very disappointed in Volvo for this no refund policy. Anyway, just something for you to consider.

Paradox
09-19-2015, 11:14 PM
BEWARE: You may lose money if you renew for long period of time. I did like the service somewhat and planned to keep my Volvo for years. However, I was in a major accident (not my fault - a guy ran a stop light) and my car was totaled. Prior to the accident, I renewed my Volvo On Call for 54 months. I paid $600 for 54 months. After the accident, I realized I had paid for over 4 years of service that I would not be able to use. I called Volvo to get a refund since I obviously would not be able to use the service since the car was totaled. Volvo said too bad - we have your $600 and are going to keep it even though we know we can't provide you the service for the next 48 months. It may be tempting to renew for a longer period of time because $11.11 per month is more reasonable than $16.67 per month. However, if anything happens to your car, you could be out a lot of money. It basically cost me $100 per month for the service (used 6 of the 54 months). Not worth $16.67 per month for the service and absolutely not worth $100 per month! Also, as I understand it, if you sell the car, it is not transferable and the new owner will have to buy the same service again. I am very disappointed in Volvo for this no refund policy. Anyway, just something for you to consider.

Wow, thanks for sharing. I am hoping to keep my FE for 4 years but I know me and I tend to trade by 3 years, sometimes even 2. I had considered some time ago to go with a 4 year plan and just switch it over to my next Volvo if I trade before the 4 years. I wasn't planning on renewing right now anyways because I want to see some features added to VOC but reading your experience makes renewing a definite no go for now.

tarrbot
09-19-2015, 11:18 PM
:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

I've thought this was a bunch of horse thievery BS before now...

citivas
09-20-2015, 12:41 AM

This reminds me of the same BS TiVo used to have with their Lifetime Memberships for service. I was an early adopter and paid for Lifetime up-front. The problem was those early boxes were prone to hard drive failure. But if you tried to buy a new TiVo you would quickly learn that the "lifetime" service you paid hundreds for was "tied to the box, not the account." The only way around it was to either be handy enough to replace the hard drives and re-format them with the TiVo root and OS yourself or send your box away to enterprising companies that did this for you. My original TiVo went through three hard drives this way so I could sustain the service.

Karma rewarded me though in the end. The TiVo I had was the first unit that worked with DirecTV. Eventually DirecTV took over control of those accounts and when they transferred the Lifetime memberships they DID tie it to the account. This stayed true even when DirecTV discontinued the TiVo boxes and started pushing their own. Even better, DirecTV applies it to all the DVR's in our household. As a result, I have not paid a DVR service fee for 15 years and counting...

PhatboyC
09-20-2015, 07:49 AM
I've used it a number of times since purchasing in May to cool the cabin down during the summer. I've had no real issues with the VOC app, its been quite reliable for me both at home and while on the road in other states.

Good to know its working well. Thanks

It is a free feature for the trial period of the Volvo On Call app, which is complimentary for the first 6 months of ownership.

I'm still hoping somehow its free in Canada as per their literature.

Gary-16-Xc90
09-20-2015, 07:54 AM

So, the subscription follows the car not the original purchaser even when the original car is totaled?

1. It would seem that the remaining subscription should be transferred to your next Volvo. Have you asked about that? It seems that you have an exception that is worthy of consideration. I am not too surprised about no refund, but I would think a VOC credit on your future Volvo car would be reasonable.

2. If a car was sold (and not totaled), the new owner can have the remaining subscription transferred to them as it seems like the subscription follows the VIN. That should be a selling point for the seller and a bebfit for the buyer.

On page 16 of VOC with Sensus Connect manual, it says:

"Changing ownership of a vehicle with Volvo On Call ...

Starting the VOC service If you purchase a previously owned Volvo with VOC: The new owner should contact his/her Volvo retailer to transfer the remaining period of the VOC subscription. All contact information must be updated in order for VOC to function and to ensure that the previous owner is no longer authorized to use VOC services in the vehicle. The new owner will be given a 4-digit personal code, which is used to identify him/her as being authorized to approve cer- tain VOC services."

kevinwsnc
09-20-2015, 08:11 AM
As additional information based on my experience: Because I do not have a garage I have had remote start on my past 3 cars. When I purchased my 2015.5 S80, it was a very important feature for me. The VOC App, according to the dealership, was the solution. They indicated to me that remote start from the key fob was not available anymore since it was built in to the car with the VOC app. So I purchased the car (in the summer). When winter came around, I discovered that the App did not always work. It was maybe 70% reliable at most to start the car. So I was hesitant to renew VOC but decided it might be worth it for a longer period of time because the monthly cost was less (and I really wanted remote start and this was the only option). I called Volvo several times and they also said they were working hard on improving the connectivity issue. i was told by Volvo On Call customer service that VOC was not related to the 3g built into the car and did not use that 3g connection. I was told if I did not renew the AT&T 3g that VOC would still work (if I purchased a VOC subscription). During the time I had the S80, I never got an email or mail from AT&T about renewing the 3g service. AT&T's website only says "Available next year, you will be able to purchase a data plan for your equipped 2015.5 Volvo Vehicle." I would not have renewed AT&T anyway because 3g is so slow. A mobile hotspot would have been a better solution because you can connect through WiFi modem or simply stream Pandora and other apps through your bluetooth connection with your phone. I renewed VOC for 54 months for remote start, which I know now was a mistake on my part. So long story short - they are different services with different fees (although I don't know what AT&T fees will be).

someguy
09-21-2015, 01:41 PM
I'm still hoping somehow its free in Canada as per their literature.I've seen it mentioned on the forum before. Do you mind sharing where you saw this?

PhatboyC
09-21-2015, 02:26 PM
I've seen it mentioned on the forum before. Do you mind sharing where you saw this?

Perhpas I miss read. But when they say
Others services provided via the On Call app, as described below, are available through a paid
subscription service. The is a complimentary 6 month trial service from the date of vehicle sale.

Means other VOC service described above is free with like e-Call service for life

Page 58-61.

http://www.valentinevolvo.com/content/images/GenericPage/2016%20xc90_valentine%20volvo_8D1C890C02E1DC01.pdf

mceb
09-25-2015, 12:41 PM
Ugggg. My wife just bought an 2016 XC70 and remote start was a key feature for us. The dealer keeps pushing the app. Reading through this thread it looks like it's going to be expensive after the 6 month trail ends - both VOC and data plan - ouch :mad:

The thing that's twisting me up is the manual seems to imply that the keyfob can do remote start using 2 buttons (lock and approach light). We don't need long distance remote start so would be ok with keyfob like I do on my Jeep GC. In XC70 manual it's listed under ERS, page 248-249 of web manual (think page 60 on printed version). Doesn't imply it's an option or add-on. I've tried the keyfob and does not work.
http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/2016-Volvo-XC70-Owners-Manual-v1.pdf

Wife just came from visit to service guy and he says they can add it in for $499 + tax. I guess it's cheaper than paying for the app + data plan in the long run.

Engine Remote Start (ERS)* – introduction
ERS is a feature that makes it possible to remotely start the engine using the remote key to cool or heat the passenger compartment
before driving. The climate/ and infotainment systems will start using the same settings as when the engine was switched off.
When the engine is started using ERS, it will run for a maximum of 15 minutes before automatically switching off again. After 2 ERS starts, the engine must be started in the normal way before ERS can be use again.

Engine Remote Start (ERS)* – starting the engine
Remote key buttons used for remote engine start
Lock
Approach lighting
Starting the engine
The maximum range for ERS is approximately 100 ft (30 meters) if the view of the vehicle is unobstructed. The vehicle must also be locked.
To start the engine:
1. Press the lock button (1 ) briefly.
2. Immediately press the approach lighting
button (2) for approximately 2 seconds.
If the requirements for ERS have been met,
the following will occur:
1. The turn signals will flash several times.
2. The engine will start.
3. The turn signals will illuminate for
3 seconds to indicate that the engine has
started.
After the engine has started, the vehicle
remains locked but the alarm is disarmed.

jowillie
09-26-2015, 10:35 AM
My wife is really getting a lot of use from the VOC info on her new XC60. She can monitor and automatically log milage for work travel (driving journal), lock or un-locked, auto-navigation set-up from phone before getting in car and a lot more....BUT..I found out she really likes how she can keep check on the car's status when I am driving it.:D
She plans to drop the wifi plan and keep the VOC after the six month trial.

Oh yes. She did not need to transfer the "LoJACK" account from her old XC60 to the new one because of the locator function in VOC.

GrecianVolvo
09-26-2015, 10:45 AM
Yes, you do not have to have th data plan in order to continue subscribing to the VOC app.