View Full Version : Ordered 2016 XC90 R-Design but...

Bananas1
04-10-2015, 09:21 AM
Hey everyone... new member... found this swedespeed forum by researching any and all new news for the 2016 volvo XC90 on a daily basis and still continue to do so. It seems like coming on here may be the best route to go everyday to find out and new news or updates. So here is my #1 question if anyone can answer... At the beginning of March I pre-ordered a XC90 R-Design and cant be more excited about the fact that this car will be mine whenever they start making their way over here (I live in Pennsylvania)... The one thing that i cant sem to get a straight answer on from the dealer or even from calling the new car customer service hotline is my XC90's color? I have seen the beautiful matte/flat blue R-Design model in person at auto shows and was told that the matte/flat blue color is an available color. So being very excited about being able to get this color I went and pre-ordered it. The dealer kind of gave me a run around and told me that color should be what i get??? On my pre-order sheet he wrote down Magic Blue... which i believe is a dark blue metallic color for the momentum or inscription trims. The Volvo website has bursting blue metallic as the only blue color option on it... which the whole "metallic" thing doesnt ring matte/flat blue to me. I really dont want to end up being surprised by getting a shiny, glossy, metallic blue car when it finally makes its way here. The customer service person told me they werent sure and said that there should be a color code number attached to all the colors and that he might be able to find out that way but then when he went on the website himself realized that there are no color codes by any of the colors and in the end couldnt help me out either. :( Can someone shed any light on this and confirm that the matte/flat blue is available and what the actual name of the color is and if there is indeed a color code number? I think about this amazing car everyday but just cant get it out of my mind that I may be getting the wrong color cause its really not an option. Please help!!! Cant wait to ride on the 22's and crank that amazing sound system... but it needs to be in matte/flat blue!!

rajetta
04-10-2015, 09:30 AM
From what I read, matte is not for sale.... Just only for trade shows and auto expos. Usually matte is more expensive and need higher maintenance.

Paradox
04-10-2015, 09:43 AM
The matte is a wrap that goes over the paint. It's been mentioned on here by Conradi that it lasts 5 years if I remember correctly, if maintained properly. And as of now it is not available in the U.S. for ordering. Not sure about overseas.

BrianV
04-10-2015, 11:38 AM
The matte is a wrap that goes over the paint. It's been mentioned on here by Conradi that it lasts 5 years if I remember correctly, if maintained properly. And as of now it is not available in the U.S. for ordering. Not sure about overseas.

Definitely do research before buying matte-finished cars. There are all sorts of special products and cleaning instructions. Generally, it is usually not recommended to use car washes unless they are touchless (which often don't clean as well).

Here's a reasonable write-up:
https://www.cars.com/articles/2012/11/bmws-matte-paint-requires-sharp-attention/

kenhoeve
04-10-2015, 11:49 AM
They won't have it, and shouldn't. Your best bet as said is just to wrap the car.

PureDrive07
04-10-2015, 11:58 AM
If your dealer put down Magic Blue for the order than you aren't getting an R-Design, because it's not one of the available colors for the R-Design trim. You are looking for Bursting Blue Metallic which has been at the Auto Show's in a matte wrap. From what I've heard, the Matte color or wrap will not be available for the US-Market. Also, R-Design models aren't due to hit our shores until the Fall of this year; didn't know you could pre-order R-Design's yet.

Here's a picture from the NY Auto Show of the R-Design
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/10/1f3f0b873432ca3ca992c306f503e666.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/10/76df3f54fa6e862b2c268b5da31ae560.jpg

VolvoFaRmeR
04-10-2015, 02:53 PM
... but it needs to be in matte/flat blue!!

I'm sorry to say, but you are not getting matte. Your dealer has to enter the color code, not a description, into the computer. How your dealer could not tell you what color you are getting is beyond, me. Color codes have been on the web for OSD delivery, and are listed below (how can your dealer not have this info is beyond me...they do):

467 Magic blue metallic
477 Electric silver metallic*
484 Sea shell metallic
492 Savile grey pearl*
700 Twilight bronze metallic
702 Flamenco red metallic
707 Crystal white pearl*
711 Bright silver metallic
712 Rich java metallic
713 Power blue*
714 Osmium grey metallic*
717 Onyx black metallic*
019 Black
612 Pasion Red*
614 Ice white*

"*" indicates a R-Design Color. Notice magic blue is not listed, nor are matte colors.

Snowdog44
04-10-2015, 04:00 PM
What about Ember Black?
Is that paint code 019?

Paradox
04-10-2015, 04:04 PM
What about Ember Black?
Is that paint code 019?

According to the OSD document found here (http://www.flyvolvo.com/XC90MY16.pdf) Ember Black is 487.

Volvo XC90 MC31
Exterior color
Code Solid Price USD 0 Code Metallic paint Price USD 560
612* Passion red
467** Magic blue metallic
614 Ice White
477 Electric silver
487** Ember black metallic
492 Savile grey metallic
700** Twilight bronze
707 Insr.Crystal white pearl
711 Bright silver metallic
714 Osmium grey metallic
717 Onyx black metallic
719** Luminous sand metallic
720* Bursting blue

* R-Design only ** Not for R-Design

And off of the U.S. Volvo Specs page:

http://i.imgur.com/xqd1Ed3.jpg

Snowdog44
04-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Thanks Paradox

gascos80
04-10-2015, 05:42 PM
Ember Black is 487. I have it on my S80. A beautiful color - deep cherry brown with the ember sparks under the sun and nice flat black in a shadow. It is like having two cars at once.

Brutus99
04-10-2015, 05:46 PM
I wonder why Volvo decided to show the R-Design in that matte blue wrap if they had no intention to offer it as an option :confused:

ucla95
04-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Xpel Stealth wrap will do the trick.
And modern matte finishes are less complex to care for. Hand wash or touch less only. There are plenty of matte wash products now.

Bananas1
04-10-2015, 07:32 PM
Thanks for all responses. PureDrive7 thanks for pics... that's the exact car I saw at the Philly auto show. Showed the pics to my dealer and told him I wanted that exact car and he took my pre-order. But even in some of the info you guys are giving above is conflicting... VolvoFarmer says there is a powder blue #713 and Paradox is saying bursting blue metallic #720 which is the only color blue I knew of for the rdesign but was hoping it was matte. Not being able to order the matte color might really make me want to change my color to something else but really wouldn't know what to go with... I have always had white cars (2012 Volvo S60 & 2012 Limited Ford Explorer) but wanted to go a different route. Just so confused now... even the reps I spoke with at the Philly auto show were saying the matte blue would be available and that they even had such a high response to it that they had requests and were going to ponder doing a flat black, flat white, and a flat red. Not sure why the reps at the show would be saying this but they did say the blue was for sure. Again its a big downer if its true and that blue they keep showing off at shows isn't available... now just need some help in picking another color or rolling the dice with this "bursting blue metallic" or "powder blue" if that one exists. Not only that but my dealer said that once the pre-order is place it would take about 3 months for the car to be made which would put it in June sometime but from what I'm reading everywhere that's not even possible... maybe the dealer I ordered my xc90 from is clueless. Really wish I had answers and updates from them especially when paying this much for a car... one that will be so worth it of course in the end!! HELP!

GrecianVolvo
04-10-2015, 09:46 PM
Bananas1,

I work for Volvo and most of the posts above are correct. You will need to go back to your Volvo store and confirm that they did put an R-design order in the system and not an Inscription or Momentum Plus or Momentum. 467 (Magic Blue metallic) is not available for an R-design. Same 713 (Power Blue). 720 (Bursting Blue Metallic) is available for an R-design.

Regarding the matte finish; the car you saw is a wrap. Auto Show cars do come in special colors and/or treatments. Currently, this wrap is not available but it is under consideration. There are a lot of drawbacks when it comes to wraps or matte paints. In the meantime, make sure your Volvo retailer has gotten your order correctly; ask for a printout.

Just curious; who is your Volvo retailer?

citivas
04-11-2015, 12:05 AM
I wonder why Volvo decided to show the R-Design in that matte blue wrap if they had no intention to offer it as an option :confused:

Because it looks distinctive for all the media pics at the car show. They were very clear when asked at the NY show that the car could not be ordered in matte and they even showed me the actual non-matte color which was still visible on the inside edge of the car.

volvocu
04-11-2015, 06:04 AM
Ember Black is 487. I have it on my S80. A beautiful color - deep cherry brown with the ember sparks under the sun and nice flat black in a shadow. It is like having two cars at once.

Indeed, gorgeous color, saw it first on the then-new S60

Bananas1
04-11-2015, 07:59 AM
Retailer is Scott Volvo of Allentown, PA... Still have not heard a word from them since I placed my pre-order a month ago. Dont know if thats normal? Or if dealers keep you up-to-date on whats going on like when their actual demos are arriving to be able to check out, etc... I will definitely try and get in touch with them again. I know my pre-order has r-design written down on it but I also know he wrote down magic blue as the color... which I know isnt an option for the r-design. Who knows I'll probably end up waiting for months for my car to arrive and when it does it might not even be what I ordered. Again wish the dealer was keeping in touch with updates and was more in depth with the pre-order process... heck maybe at this point I wonder if they even put my order in?

Snowie
04-11-2015, 08:16 AM
Retailer is Scott Volvo of Allentown, PA... Still have not heard a word from them since I placed my pre-order a month ago. Dont know if thats normal? Or if dealers keep you up-to-date on whats going on like when their actual demos are arriving to be able to check out, etc... I will definitely try and get in touch with them again. I know my pre-order has r-design written down on it but I also know he wrote down magic blue as the color... which I know isnt an option for the r-design. Who knows I'll probably end up waiting for months for my car to arrive and when it does it might not even be what I ordered. Again wish the dealer was keeping in touch with updates and was more in depth with the pre-order process... heck maybe at this point I wonder if they even put my order in?

The XC90 have started to show up in the showroom now in Sweden.
I hope you order the B&W worth every penny!
Not seen any R-Design yet..

MKFlying7
04-11-2015, 09:17 AM
I have an R-Design ordered for overseas delivery. The R-Design is not being built until October.

GrecianVolvo
04-11-2015, 01:53 PM
You will have plenty of time to ensure your order is accurate; you order will probably not "lock" until late summer.

I think the sales manager's name there is Matt Kitchen; good guy and has been around Volvos for quite some time. Ask him to check on your order to ensure you are getting what you want to order.

Adrian-C30R
04-11-2015, 04:56 PM

That, my friend, is a VERY good question. Especially since people can order the same paint job in matte (with the wrap) or in metallic (without the wrap).

VolvoFaRmeR
04-13-2015, 01:57 PM
The DO have intentions of offering it.....this is called market analysis, where they judge reactions at the show to determine the level of interest. It's clearly marked the car is NOT available in this color currently at the show.

B-1 Pilot
04-14-2015, 07:34 AM

Because it looks distinctive for all the media pics at the car show. They were very clear when asked at the NY show that the car could not be ordered in matte and they even showed me the actual non-matte color which was still visible on the inside edge of the car.

Ultimately, this is a horrible business practice. BMW has been demoing and then selling matte cars for some time -- they call them frozen, but it is merely a matte clearcoat on top of a normal metallic color. Surpisingly very easy to maintain unless you get scratches or RIDS. Of course BMW chargs a $5000 premium for this paint job -- but if they show it (on a for sale model, not a concept), they will sell it.

Some more "issues" between the show cars and the sale cars that really frustrated me, that I pointed out to my dealer:

You can't have a R-Design with leather dash or built-in sunscreens(requiring the leather dash/armrests), yet this option is very clearly seen in the R-design demo car pictured here in these two pics:
Leather dash with Carbon Fiber trim on R-Design (https://www.swedespeed.com/galleries/?c=show_image;p=Events%20Coverage%2FIndustry%20Sho ws%2FGeneva%20Motor%20Show%2F2015;i=62;img=2015-Geneva-Motor-Show-4513.jpg)
leather armrest with integrated sun screens on R-Design (https://www.swedespeed.com/galleries/?c=show_image;p=Events%20Coverage%2FIndustry%20Sho ws%2FGeneva%20Motor%20Show%2F2015;i=64;img=2015-Geneva-Motor-Show-4515.jpg)
I think it would but utterly horrible to showcase a configuration of car through multiple international auto shows that isn't actually available for purchase!

I was initally split between the R-Design and an Inscription, but it is stated that linear walnut is the only interior trim available and you cannot get a charcoal headliner. However, these photos show otherwise:
Inscription level XC90 with amber interior and Charcoal headliner (https://www.swedespeed.com/galleries/?c=show_image;p=Events%20Coverage%2FIndustry%20Sho ws%2FGeneva%20Motor%20Show%2F2015;i=36;img=2015-Geneva-Motor-Show-4487.jpg)
Inscription level XC90 with flame birch trim and leather dash -- this one I was able to order on an inscrirption after some work.
http://pictures.dealer.com/v/volvoofpaloaltovcna/0138/67a1c81373f83ea27644f05aaf19a1e8x.jpg

Is Volvo seriously offering only one trim available for the Inscription at this time? I can deal with the headliner, but the interior trim just kills it for me. Flame birch or aluminum as an option in the Inscription and I would be very happy. *UPDATE* you can get flame birch or the momentum-level aluminum (which looks crappy IMHO) on an inscription, but not the R-desgin aluminum or carbon fiber

With a couple of minor nuanced changes I could have been much happier with either a R-Design or an Inscription...

Gc52
04-14-2015, 09:07 AM
The first editions get inscription with a black headliner. Agreed that the options seem limited but I would not be surprised if they are a little more varied than the U.S. configurator shows. Or will be once the lineup has been fully released including kinetic and T8.

Not sure I think it's utterly horrible, there are worse things and industry trade shows are as much (maybe more) about showcasing production capabilities and future possibilities as they are to view existing sale models. I was amazed at all the people who paid to get into the ny auto show and dealt with that crowd and then went and checked out the Kia minivans.

Brutus99
04-14-2015, 09:08 AM
I really hope they will offer the leather dash in the R-Design as an option, I mean come on it's not entry level trim! Otherwise I will not be very happy :mad: Same goes for the heated R-Design steering wheel with paddle shifters!!!

I have even seen R-Design pics with the crystal gear shift, I thought it doesn't come with it :confused:

I wonder if Volvo reads these forums ?

volvocu
04-14-2015, 10:18 AM
I really hope they will offer the leather dash in the R-Design as an option, I mean come on it's not entry level trim! Otherwise I will not be very happy :mad: Same goes for the heated R-Design steering wheel with paddle shifters!!!

I have even seen R-Design pics with the crystal gear shift, I thought it doesn't come with it :confused:

!

You bet they do

nh_ets
04-14-2015, 10:37 AM

Do you have any pics you can share?

B-1 Pilot
04-14-2015, 10:39 AM

I tried to order R design with heated steering wheel and leather dash.. my salesman told me it was not possible.

The crystal shifter is for the T8 engined cars, which can be put on an R-Design, so technically that is still a possible purchase

Brutus99
04-14-2015, 11:28 AM
I tried to order R design with heated steering wheel and leather dash.. my salesman told me it was not possible.

The crystal shifter is for the T8 engined cars, which can be put on an R-Design, so technically that is still a possible purchase

My dealer told me that it will be possible down the line to get the heated steering wheel with paddle shifters so hopefully he's correct. So the T8 R-Design will come standard with the crystal shifter or as an option??

GrecianVolvo
04-14-2015, 01:33 PM
No T8 R-design.

B-1 Pilot
04-14-2015, 02:10 PM
No T8 R-design.

Again, not what the show cars infer - the crystal shifter is only for the T8 engine; the R-design demo car has the crystal shifter.

To the bigger point: Why a trim level -- a decidedly sportier trim level, would not have the apex engine in the car is just insane. They sure seem to imply that a 400hp R-type is possible via their own website:
http://i.imgur.com/VfGgHIah.png

I assume these are all first year growing pains but seriously they should have considered this stuff.

Linqid
04-14-2015, 02:54 PM
In Sweden (and the rest of Europe i assume) it is possible to get the T8 with R-Design. The same goes for the leather dash and the sunscreens. All T8 will have the crystal shifter.

GrecianVolvo
04-14-2015, 03:21 PM
Again, not what the show cars infer - the crystal shifter is only for the T8 engine; the R-design demo car has the crystal shifter.

I should have been more clear; not initially. There will be T8 R-design trim level models available to order, after the initial T8 orders.

genericuser1
04-15-2015, 11:05 AM
How about an R-Design with red leather? Or something other than black, even a white or grey insert.

Brutus99
04-15-2015, 11:32 AM
How about an R-Design with red leather? Or something other than black, even a white or grey insert.

I agree, wish they had a light grey or white available :-(

T5_awd
04-15-2015, 12:27 PM
I like the R-design interior (seats and carbon inlays) and exterior, but all black is to dark. I wish it would be available with amber interior instead.

worldsmart02
05-13-2016, 04:07 PM
Looks nice might be tough to maintain on day to day basis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infinkc
05-13-2016, 04:14 PM
Well your matte blue is available now for 2017, better make sure that is what your getting.

sidewindercomp
05-13-2016, 04:36 PM
If someone doesn't like their bursting blue R-Design, we might be interested in a straight swap with our passion red depending on how it is optioned. :)

worldsmart02
05-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Is that true only for OSD delivery that redesign are not getting built till Oct ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKY-KING
05-18-2016, 08:42 PM
How about a Passion Red with amber interior for the R Design?