View Full Version : XC90 T8 Updated Fuel Economy Figures

Adrian-C30R
04-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Any thoughts on this?

The new Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine plug-in hybrid will go in to production this week, with high-level sources indicating to Autocar at the Shanghai motor show that it will be officially ratified as emitting 49g/km of CO2, not 59g/km as officially announced. That should mean an official mpg rating of around 167mpg.

The improvement is understood to have been the result of continuing development work following the carís launch, although it has also been hinted that Volvo was keen to keep the XC90ís full potential a secret until after the figures for the new Audi Q7 e-tron quattro plug-in hybrid had been announced. The Audi, which goes on sale later this year, emits 50g/km of Co2 officially and averages 166.2mpg.

Full article from AutoCar:http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-shanghai-auto-show/new-volvo-xc90-plug-hybrid-emissions-fall-49gkm

Gc52
04-20-2015, 03:54 PM
That is hilariously close. Curious how the xc90 manages those new #s while maintaining the same electric only range rating, shouldn't they relate somehow?

Also still very curious what the US official #s will be, as well as real-world results all around.

adp
04-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Also still very curious what the ...real-world results all around.

So-called "real-world" #s are IRRELEVANT. It does not matter if EPA says "X mpg" and you get '.95X MPG" - that info is irrelevant to every single inquiry on earth. YOUR mpg has no relevance to MY mpg, as we drive different roads, have different driving habits, drive at different temperatures, etc. etc. etc. When comparing one vehicle to the next vehicle, the ONLY numbers that matter are the official government tests. THAT is a useful comparison. But comparing one person's "real world" numbers to another person's "real world" #s and thinking that the difference "matters" shows a complete lack of understanding of what all these #s mean.

Now I don't mean that you should ignore it if EPA or another uses says "mpg is X" and your ("real world") mpg is .5X. That would cause me to be concerned, if that were my situation. Otherwise, the "real world" #s people look for are worthless, IMO.

Not meaning to pick on you, Gc52. This is a pet peeve of mine and these message boards are littered with such nonsense. People think they are comparing apples to apples when they do "real world" comparisons, but those comparisons are ALL, by definition, apples to oranges. No two drivers drive their vehicles in an identical way, unlike when EPA or other agencies test the vehicles. The government tests are not perfect, but they are far better when doing comparison shopping.

babyrocket
04-20-2015, 05:02 PM
So when will the official government numbers be available on the T8?

Gc52
04-20-2015, 05:23 PM
So-called "real-world" #s are IRRELEVANT. It does not matter if EPA says "X mpg" and you get '.95X MPG" - that info is irrelevant to every single inquiry on earth. YOUR mpg has no relevance to MY mpg, as we drive different roads, have different driving habits, drive at different temperatures, etc. etc. etc. When comparing one vehicle to the next vehicle, the ONLY numbers that matter are the official government tests. THAT is a useful comparison. But comparing one person's "real world" numbers to another person's "real world" #s and thinking that the difference "matters" shows a complete lack of understanding of what all these #s mean.

Now I don't mean that you should ignore it if EPA or another uses says "mpg is X" and your ("real world") mpg is .5X. That would cause me to be concerned, if that were my situation. Otherwise, the "real world" #s people look for are worthless, IMO.

Not meaning to pick on you, Gc52. This is a pet peeve of mine and these message boards are littered with such nonsense. People think they are comparing apples to apples when they do "real world" comparisons, but those comparisons are ALL, by definition, apples to oranges. No two drivers drive their vehicles in an identical way, unlike when EPA or other agencies test the vehicles. The government tests are not perfect, but they are far better when doing comparison shopping.

lol I know I know. The EPA #s are the official government #s right? That's what I'm mostly looking for.. of course people's real world numbers vary for any number of reasons but I am specifically looking forward to hearing driver accounts of the T8 and Q7 phevs in NYC or similar- not even to cross shop but just to see what kind of efficiency is possible.

Another reason I'm interested is the European ratings for the T6 were much better than the EPAs, even taking into account the differences in the tests.

adp
04-20-2015, 05:50 PM
lol I know I know.

am glad you are smiling about it. That's not the typical response to one of my rants.

:)

VolvoFaRmeR
04-20-2015, 07:36 PM
It's hard to deny that a large % of owners driving in the "real world" get the same mpg. This indicates what a large % of owners will truly get in "average" driving. For many, that's the type off driving they do, hence they are indeed interested in "real world" driving mpg, not the EPA numbers. I get where you are coming from, as everyone drives different routs. However, you will find a huge % of owners get in a mpg range that is very tightly defined....the "real world" range. This is indeed useful for many to know, as you can classify if your driving usually falls above or bellow this range.

There is a HUGE # of cars that do not EVER achieve the MPG #s of the EPA....we have seen and heard all about the fines. The EPA only tests a small number of cars to begin with. In my opinion, hearing about "real world" results in extremely relevant and telling of a car's true fuel usage for most owners.

adp
04-21-2015, 01:04 PM
VolvoFaRmeR - but that data is only useful after a car has been out for a while and there are a lot of cars on the road and you have access to that data. But people "use" other people's anecdotal MPG info as if it is the Magna frickin Carta. Even on this forum, the best we ever get is a few handfuls of people reporting data. That is meaningless, IMO. But I agree that data from thousands of vehicles has value, even if it tells you nothing about what you are likely to experience since you aren't scientific enough to compare your driving to the average of those thousands.

But I also agree that having data from thousands of other drivers does tell you whether the EPA number was somehow manipulated.

I think most people think their driving habits are "average," and that is only true for some of those people. Lots of people say, "I drive all highway" yet their average mpH is 30 and they discount the miles they spend in urban settings and the terrible mpg that results form that 2-mile trip to the supermarket and back.

acb
04-21-2015, 01:49 PM
I am not sure this will help but I have been running a V60PHEV for just over 15months and have done 22000miles. I average just under 80mpg(UK). I appreciate this is on a slightly smaller car with a bigger battery than the XC90 will have and it is diesel. My average speed over those miles was 34mph so it was not all motorway driving and included 500+ mile round trips. On those longer journey I got 54mpg(UK) average. I would expect with the petrol engine and the larger car a drop. I would hope that I will see averages of around 55-60mpg so a drop of around 30% and on long journeys around 40mpg. You have to remember on long journeys the engine will still cut out on gradients and charge the battery so there is a clear gain over the standard T6. As I say I am not sure if this helps but at least gives you some idea of what to expect as the government figures for PHEV vehicles is pointless. The V60 in the Europe test is 150mpg combined.

Marshall
04-21-2015, 02:15 PM
RE: The new Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine plug-in hybrid will go in to production this week, with high-level sources indicating to Autocar at the Shanghai motor show that it will be officially ratified as emitting 49g/km of CO2, not 59g/km as officially announced. That should mean an official mpg rating of around 167mpg.

Sorry, but I don't get what possible correlation there is between the amount of pollution (CO2) a vehicle emits, and what kind of mileage we may expect?

Calhon
04-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Sorry, but I don't get what possible correlation there is between the amount of pollution (CO2) a vehicle emits, and what kind of mileage we may expect?

The amount of CO2 emitted is pretty much proportional to the amount of gas consumed.

acb
04-21-2015, 04:06 PM
That's interesting on the Co2 as in the UK the government have ratified it for tax reduction based upon 59g/km. I wonder if it is a different way it is calculated as all the documentation I have seen from Volvo also says 59g/km

Gc52
04-21-2015, 05:21 PM
That's interesting on the Co2 as in the UK the government have ratified it for tax reduction based upon 59g/km. I wonder if it is a different way it is calculated as all the documentation I have seen from Volvo also says 59g/km

According to the article it's a new result based on a finer tuned power train. So possible the UK # will change?

acb
04-21-2015, 05:27 PM
I hope so as it puts in a lower tax bracket