View Full Version : Misterious oil spill after three weeks stand still

endemar
07-30-2015, 07:55 AM
I have a 2004 V50i which has been parked at a repair shop awaiting damage repair after an accident. It has been in the same spot for three weeks. One attendant discovered an oil patch when they shifted the car. They investigated the source and say they found a miniscule crack 'a hair crack' in the oil pan. In the parking in front of my house there's no trace of oil nor on any place I regularly park. My question is; can a damage like this just appear out of the blue while the car is at rest so to speak? I find this very doubtful. The repair will set me back some € 700 and that's a lot of money to add up to the necessary repairs after the accident which add up to some € 2.700. Anybody some clue? I'll be most grateful. Thanks in advance.

dhorvath
07-30-2015, 09:21 AM
One drop of oil leaking out of that crack each day would not be very visible if you move your car each day. Sitting in the same spot for 3 weeks and it becomes obvious.

It could've happened before, could've happened as part of the accident, or even been caused by the repair shop. The difficulty will be in proving it.