SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Has anyone used XPEL

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Art 
#1 ·
This is a 3M clear film (stays clear over time) that protects headlights, foglights and supposedly paint from rock chips.

The delaership I bought my S60 at had a model in the showroom with this treatment looked better than I thought it would.

Thanks for the feedback...

#2 ·
Had a similar product installed at the dealership. It's basically a urethane kit that protects the front hood, headlamps, and foglights on my XC. Very pleased with the results.

[This message has been edited by Art (edited 02-28-2002).]

#3 ·
I haven't used it, but I would be very careful about putting it on high power lights. I've read that products like this will hold in more heat and may cause lenses to crack. I doubt it would be a problem on most headlights or on 55W/65W auxiliary lights, but if you had 100W driving or fog lights that stay on for long periods of time, they may get too hot.

#4 ·
As long as you are staying at 55 watts for your lights, I would highly recommend getting them for the fog-lights at the very least. The fog-light lenses on the S60 seem to break easily, and cost big $$$ to get replaced. The folks over at AudiWorld swear by Stongard and Expel.

-Drew

#5 ·
I've also heard many people praise that products, but I'd just like to find out how easily you can clean that film. Regardless how thin the film might be, you can still trap some dirt at the edges, wouldn't you?

I'm just wonder how that will look. I'd like to see some photos of a car with the film on. NO, don't show me the film over the body,
I want to see the edges...that's where you can really see if the film will blend in.

BTW, few years back, I saw some guy used to put this layer of protective paste over his Porsche when he takes it to the track. That layer of 'glue' almost acts as like these films, but you can either wash them off or just peel them off when you are done racing. Not exactly the cleanest look, but certainly a handy accessory.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

#6 ·
I have the 3M product on my 2001 T5 headlamps and fogs here in Canada. In Canada, you cannot replace just the headlamp glass if it breaks, you need to get the whole unit, $ CND $ 700.00. Ouch...

I have installed the PIAA Super White high beams equalling 110 watts of power.

Having driven from Vancouver to Calgary, 1000 km, overnight many times, I can say that with the high beams on for long periods of time through the Rockie Mountains, there has been no affect on the 3M film. I recommend it, since for $ CDN 100 installed at the dealer, it could save me $ CDN 1,400.00. It only takes 2 stones from the lorrys in the winter to take out the lights.

cleaning is no problem. the film is not thin, and is quite robust. if installed correctly, the film is cut with a razor knife along the edge of the headlamp glass. on my car, you cannot tell there is the film there as the edge of the film corrosponds to the edge of the headlamp glass.

#8 ·
I managed to take a few pics of the protective film that was installed on my '01 XC. These were taken inside where the car was garaged so the film is more noticeable. Once outside, however, you can barely tell that it's there. I've had it on for over a year now and it still looks as good as the day it was installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.