View Full Version : Dressing B18 pushrods

Bosse
11-01-2004, 10:05 PM
It's very lonely here but perhaps an inteligent answer can be had.<br>Can the pushrods on a B18, or B16, B20 be dressed similar to an aircooled engine i.e Porsche?

Phil Singher
11-06-2004, 04:14 PM
It's only lonely because it's a brand-new forum.<p>What does "dressing pushrods" mean? I've never worked on Porsches...

gdill2
11-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Back in the '60's both Rennsport and ipd offered a B18 lifter kit which included double springs and "dressed" pushrods, among other goodies.<p>The hot set-up now is roller rockers...

Phil Singher
11-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Funny that the first post on the Pushrod Performance forum is just exactly about pushrods...<p>I've got a fairly serious B20 that's designed by Mike Aaro, a Volvo performance guru in Sweden. We wanted to see what could be done with a streetable motor without getting completely silly about the expense. In spite of using a modern high lift, high valve acceleration cam, double springs and the biggest valves we could fit in, Mike insisted on using OE lifters, pushrods and rockers.<p>I would happily have paid for aftermarket pushrods, using trick lifters or having them drilled, and roller rockers... Mike's opinion was that those things collectively were worth two HP and not worth the trouble. I did put some considerable work into reconditioning the rockers and matching them to a uniform ratio, but they're still just plain B20 rockers.<p>Power peak is 7000 rpm and it sees 6K regularly. No problems whatsoever with the valve train. I'm a fanatic about valve adjustments, but I haven't had to touch them in 10K miles.<p>YMMV...

mjamgb
12-14-2004, 07:29 PM
By "dressing" the pushrods are we meaning cleaning them up? i.e. grinding off the forge part line and polishing/peening and weight matching? I dunno why not but unless you run silly RPM or enormous valve springs it shouldn't make a great deal of difference.