SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Crappy volvo tranny....okay..crappy Volvo mod-ing exp.

967 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  George@Swedespeed 
#1 ·
Well some already knew the deal about my newest mishap w/ the flywheel. Turned out that parts of tranny was damaged, too. Just when I thought i could simply change out the damaged parts and get away with it, volvo does not sell the manual tranny parts. They only sell the whole tranny as one unit. This is absurd.
I can understand maybe the complexity of the tranny might discourage Volvo from selling components by components to just anyone. But this is still a bit ridicules regardless. This leaves me no choice to hunt around for an used tranny.
There is still other parts to the story about upgrading the flywheel, clutch, and the pressure plate from non turbo 70 series. That's for another time.
This whole journey has drained away every last bit of my patient and enthusiasm about doing more work on the car. I can say that I'm satisfied with what I have achieved, but the pain, suffering, and the obstacles I've encountered so far is just almost unbearable now.
I knew Volvo was never meant for high performance. I was pushing the limit and I had to pay the price for it. Man, if I knew this whole thing was going to be this tough, I would of just act like one of those vendors - come online and start throwing unrealistic hp figures and gains.
Having said all that, I still love my car no matter what. But I guess I won't be doing more work to it. It's just not worth it. This is where I stop...I know I have been to the point where not many if only a handful of people have achived.

See less See more
#2 ·
quote:

Originally posted by The_one_n_only:
Well some already knew the deal about my newest mishap w/ the flywheel. Turned out that parts of tranny was damaged, too. Just when I thought i could simply change out the damaged parts and get away with it, volvo does not sell the manual tranny parts. They only sell the whole tranny as one unit. This is absurd.
I can understand maybe the complexity of the tranny might discourage Volvo from selling components by components to just anyone. But this is still a bit ridicules regardless. This leaves me no choice to hunt around for an used tranny.
There is still other parts to the story about upgrading the flywheel, clutch, and the pressure plate from non turbo 70 series. That's for another time.
This whole journey has drained away every last bit of my patient and enthusiasm about doing more work on the car. I can say that I'm satisfied with what I have achieved, but the pain, suffering, and the obstacles I've encountered so far is just almost unbearable now.
I knew Volvo was never meant for high performance. I was pushing the limit and I had to pay the price for it. Man, if I knew this whole thing was going to be this tough, I would of just act like one of those vendors - come online and start throwing unrealistic hp figures and gains.
Having said all that, I still love my car no matter what. But I guess I won't be doing more work to it. It's just not worth it. This is where I stop...I know I have been to the point where not many if only a handful of people have achived.

Hey Kai,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Looks like you've reached the maximum capabilities of the C70. Time for a change?

Regards,
Mike H.

#3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by mike_c70:
Hey Kai,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Looks like you've reached the maximum capabilities of the C70. Time for a change?

Regards,
Mike H.
Hey Mike...
Thanks....yeah, I think this is pretty much the end of the story for the C70. It will still by my weekend ride, but I might be looking for another daily commuter car. The 240 is nice, but it's got some problems that I am not really sure if I should invest any more money in repair and restoring the car.

#4 ·
Hey Kai, sorry for not calling you back over the weekend. I was away for Thanksgiving from Wed until last evening. You had asked about parts yards in your message to me, and I believe that this may have been why.

The one I found in the DC area was Brandywine Auto Salvage. They have a newer import area and an older import area both in or near Upper Marlboro. You should call them before you go, because I didn't see all that many newer Volvos besides an S80 at the new one.

My recomendation would be going to http://www.copartfinder.com . I think they are now charging $2 per search, but you'll find what you are looking for. Through that search, I saw a sizeable Volvo lot up in Lebanon PA, about 2hrs north in PA. They might have what you are looking for.

If you decide to get another daily driver, you may want to consider waiting and getting a replacement tranny from one of the new R models (or just waiting for someone to wreck one).

On parts for your tranny, that just doesn't sound right. You should call Volvo's 800 number and lodge a complaint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.