SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

The list...

6K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  Johann 
#1 ·
*Moved to the bottom of the thread*

#3 ·
Wow, that's some list.....I can't even imagine doing half of your mods......I'd have to sell the wife and the motorcycle.

I was checking out the picture of your engine bay....where did you get the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler? I like your setup better than the stock over the engine setup.

-Larry

#9 ·
I've just seen the feature on your car and posted a link on the UK owner's site - we have a lot of members who are doing ill-judged upgrades, so it's nice to see someone who understands that the engine needs internal as well as external work to be properly enhanced.

As I said there, it's a pity you can't come along to some of our meetings!

#11 ·
Thanks, Simon. I'm very flattered, I do wish one day the car's story will reach overseas. That way, maybe we will get some real hardcore Volvo owners from Europe to contribute their knowledge here.

George, I don't know how else to compliment the write up and the photos, the work speaks for itself. He he..there's no knowledge here, just all the notes from the painful experiences. If I were to do this project all over again, I think I've found better candidates around this area to handle the task.

Ha~....seems like you are a much more perfectionist than I expected. We can definitely arrange sometime this weekend or even the next few days if you have time...to do the photo shoot of the engine bay.

I just wish I have more time to put more miles on the car. I'm at 14100+ mile mark now, I think one more full tank of gas should do the justice.

Now I just have to pray that the valve train will survive after I dial up the boost.

#12 ·
Kai,

just curious...how long was your car "out of commission", so to speak, while upgrading it? And did something ever go wrong? For example, after installing a component, did you find out while driving the car that something was not functioning right and had to go back to the drawing board?

Your car looks amazing, very stealthy. That's what I liked the best before reading the story. I just do not like cars that really show (in most cases they try to show what they don't have; class!) off. Your would only show off when you press the accelerator!

I hate to think what this whole project cost!

Yannis

#13 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
Kai,
just curious...
Only thing that didn't work out all that well the first time was the upgraded factory 16T turbo. First time it failed, Texas Rebuild was trying to tell me that something went into the turbo's compressor side..and they would not warranty that.
And the 2nd time it failed, it was on the dyno machine at EIP. TX Turbo had no excuse, but simply fixed it after I wrote them a nasty letter. Of course, they wouldn't care if there was even any consequential expenses, but that was just a terrible job, needless to say, the worst customer service I have had in my whole life.

I had to say their workmanship is above average, but with customer service and attitude like that...I'm surprised they are still in business.

EIP Tuning is another story by itself, I'd rather not waste time bashing them today. But my car was outta commission for a bit more than a year just because those monkeys were dragging it. I guess was they didn't order parts on time, then when parts come in..they choose to finish other projects they had while my car was outta commission. Hey..I can understand their mentality.."If we spent so much time on his already, I'm sure he can wait another 2 months for us to finish this one first" And the worst move I did was paying them partially in advance.

The downtime I just mentioned didn't include the month and half I spent in another shop for the upper end work, but that did require some work...and I was waiting for that remanufactured 16T along with the Random Tech cat.

If you ask me, with all the parts ready...to real downtime to get the car to this stage shouldn't take more than 2 months...and that's including audio upgrade as well. But then again...things never work out that well in real life, right? Especially when it comes to some project this custom oriented.

Pretty much the only step I've done wrong with the silly, rip-off factory turbo upgrade from those monkeys. The new T3/T04 was a good investment. I just didn't know that I'd be bending my rods even when I just first did the T3 Super 60 conversion. Not that I'm saying doing that reman. turbo was a waste of money, but you can try to get something else for the same price and without the pain and wait.

More to come after meeting...

#19 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Pravo2:
Kai,

Did you ever live in Rochester, NY? I could have sworn that I saw your car back in '99 or so........
YES~! I was in Rochester till Summer of 2000. So, what were you doing in Rochester? What car did you have back then? Where did you see the car? Hehe..you should of come up and say HI to me.

#20 ·
quote:

Originally posted by The_one_n_only:
YES~! I was in Rochester till Summer of 2000. So, what were you doing in Rochester? What car did you have back then? Where did you see the car? Hehe..you should of come up and say HI to me.
My first job out of college was in Rochester -I was there from '96 until '99 working at Harris RF Communications right off of University Ave, right next to the Volvo dealer as a matter of fact. I remember seeing your car at the Autobody shop not too far from there (sorry, don't remember the name) but they were always fixing up dented up Volvos. Your car was outside, not damaged, and I pulled over to check out your C70. Very, very nice. From what I recall though, it was quite a bit lower than where it is now.

I used to hit the Barnes & Nobles in Penfield (??) all the time and caught a nice 242 turbo w/ Euro lights, lowered, etc. There was also a 244 turbo w/ Euro lights and lots of other mods that I saw pretty often. I drove a blue Civic back then (nothing **** ) but have grown up in a Volvo family hence my infatuation with the C70

The one thing I truly miss about Rochester? Wegman's

#21 ·
Oh..I didn't know there's a Harris there. Yeah, my car was in the body shop few times because there was some factory blemishes, and I took it back to Best Motor and have them repaint the hood under the warranty. I forgot that shop, too.....I just know that I'd never take it back to them again. They don't sand off enough old paint, and just paint the new layer over it...even though they tell you they would.

Yeah, the car sat a bit lower before with the IPD springs. About another 1/2~1/4 inch lower. No pun intended, Scott...but IPD springs was just a bit too soft for my driving style. Also it could be b/c of camera angles, that's why you think the car was much lower than now.

So, you had a Civic then? What do you drive now?

Yeah, even here in MD, with all these different supermarkets, they still can't compare with Wegman's operation.

#22 ·
Well, ironically, I still drive a Civic - a '97 EX coupe that I bought from a friend before I moved. It's been lightly modded, mainly suspension and appearance, but nothing garish, i.e. no body kits, blue windshield washer lights, 18" rims or anything of that nature. My car is silver and if I squint, I can pretend it's a C70

I live very close to Chicago and have seen lots of very nice Volvos, including a black C70 convertible and a nautic (?) blue C70 coupe with beige leather. Awesome combo.

You know, I always thought Best Motors had a pretty small lot. I'm surprised they weren't out in Henrietta with all of the other big dealers.......

#25 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Johann:
Kai,

What A/R do you use on the turbine?
Did you mount an external wastegate?
If not, what's the wastegate size?

TNX
Check the list again.

Nope, internal. I never asked about that one, I'll check. Thought Turbonetic will find the sufficient one for my application, didn't bother asking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.