SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Just bought 2002 C70...

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Wife's c70 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2002 C70 convertible LPT. I am surprised by how fast it is and nimbly it squirts through traffic. It seems to have a lot of torque, especially for a 2.4L.
I had read (before purchasing) some reviews that faulted the harsh ride and torque steer of the car. I haven't noticed either of those things, were there changes for 2002?
I didn't plan on any mods until checked out the ecu's... $300 Upsolute = 230-250hp. Sounds like a bargain. Is there a way to this without the dealer knowing?
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Wife's c70:
I didn't plan on any mods until checked out the ecu's... $300 Upsolute = 230-250hp. Sounds like a bargain. Is there a way to this without the dealer knowing?
Thanks in advance.
Congrats on the new car!

Hey, what is this with "is there a way to do this without the dealer knowing"???

Why do you have to hide things? Dealers are not the...boogeyman! We could care less if someone has an upgrade or not.

In our case, we have quite a few customers who have done ECU (and other) upgrades and there has never been a problem with us. On the opposite, we respect those cars even more!

Yannis

#3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
Congrats on the new car!

Hey, what is this with "is there a way to do this without the dealer knowing"???

Why do you have to hide things? Dealers are not the...boogeyman! We could care less if someone has an upgrade or not.

In our case, we have quite a few customers who have done ECU (and other) upgrades and there has never been a problem with us. On the opposite, we respect those cars even more!

Yannis

Grecian --

My dealer advised that I should wait until the warrantee is over as my putting in an ECU would eviscerate it. True?

#4 ·
If something in your car breaks, it is the responibility of the dealer to prove that it is a direct result of the modification.

Still, should you do an upgrade, taking preventative measures such as letting a car warm up before using hard and letting it cool down after hard running to cool the turbo is good care to get into regardless of whether you chip it or not, but more important once you have.

#6 ·
I, too, had heard that an after market ecu would void the warranty. I don't think the dealer is the boogey man at all. My experience at the was a big part of why I bought the car. It was hands down the best new car buying experience I've had.
Raining like mad here in sunny florida. So much for top down motoring.
Thanks for the response, no intent to offend.

#7 ·
You may want to poke around SEMA's website or call folks like ipd and ask them about warranty issues. There's a governmental act, can't remember the name at the moment, that covers you and places the burden of proof on the warranty holder, namely the car company, in the case of equipment failure.

From what I can tell, chips are indeed covered unless they can prove otherwise.

[This message has been edited by George@Swedespeed (edited 03-03-2002).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.