SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

So, I need 440 cm/min fuel injectors...

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Kai 
#1 ·
Well, put the car on dyno...they found the car was running too lean at high rpms. I was warned about this when the project was done last year. I didn't think much of it..plus I didn't want THAT shop to make any more money off me than they have.

Altered Atmosphere Motorsports at Gaithersburg immediately stopped the dyno session when they detected the car was running a bit too lean. I'm very glad they did...and not like some other shops.

So, I'm getting new fuel injectors (thanks to David?
J/K) and fuel pump and a Dastek air fuel controller. I'll let you guys know more update later.

Hey, at least I've put enough miles on the car finally.
Man...just when I thought I don't need to fork out any more $$$ for this car. Well, there goes my HID conversion.

See less See more
#3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Johann:
So, how low did you go so far?
What size are the standard injectors?
330 or 370?

Come on, I'm curious :)
Now, now, kid...don't be hasty, didn't say I won't share more info, did I?

What do you mean how low did I go? I didn't intentionally to GO LOW flow rate injectors..just factory ones.

Now, where did you get the number 330 and 370?? Maybe on your S60, but I know on the 70 series T5 they all have 350.

#4 ·
Given the fact that they stopped the test the readings must be lower than expected?
This is why I said low instead of high :)
About the injectors, it seems that there is some juice left in the 850 my friend drives so I would guess that the rating must be around 330 and 370 is what I heard somewhere about the S60 but I don't know.
440 must be around the 400 HP mark .
Man, I wonder how you want to get that power to the wheels in a convenient way :)
What is your redline at the moment?
Sorry for asking so many questions, just interested.

#5 ·
Ohhh..you were asking about the HP. Nope, don't know. I think they probably only did those first and 2nd run thingy before the actual dyno. I know another shop that does that, too.

No, the injectors they have on mine are only 350, and I would think that's sufficient, but that's not the case...and this is not the first shop that suggested that.

Anything above 400 cm/min should be more than plenty. Probably just going to get those and tune it down when necessary. Yes, this spec is for 400 hp at crank range, but doesn't mean I will get that. There are many heavily modified (of course much crazier than my kitty cat C70) using 500 and higher, and some of them are not even getting to 500 hp at the crank. So..what is the point? Don't know.....just like my turbo, it's good for 450 hp, but willl I ever get that kinda power out..not sure. Why would I get something like that? Why not? Last time when they spec these factory at this and that range, but still die on me. I would tend to believe a little bit of margin is always good to have.

Pushing that kinda power to the wheels isn't all that bad. It's not the most convenient setup, but no one ever said putting 350+ hp on the front wheels going to be that driver-friendly.

My redline? LOL...I don't know anymore, check out my picture site. I've taken a picture of my AVC-R showing 8897 rpm. I've gone up to 8000+ few times, def. not a smart thing to do with factory valve train and running lean at high rpms.

Well, keep the questions coming. I'm on the learning process, too...as you can tell there's still a lot I don't know about these cars.

#6 ·
I guess the larger turbo gives a nice torque figure accross the powerband?
Not as harsh at 3500 RPM as my S60?
I would like to see my powerband building up to redline instead of the big explosion at 3500 rpm and a little less after that.
If 7500 or 8000 redline is your intention then you can make a much better setup for good tracktion at lower RPM.
My S60 had 465 NM at 4000 but I think that peak torque at higher RPM would create less wheelsspin.
Keep us updated!

#7 ·
quote:

My S60 had 465 NM at 4000 but I think that peak torque at higher RPM would create less wheelsspin.
Keep us updated!
465Nm??? That is in excess of 340 HP...boy, that is hefty! What type of sport exhaust do you have? Cat-back or you have replaced the complete exhaust system (incl. catalytic converter)?

Yannis

#8 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
465Nm??? That is in excess of 340 HP...boy, that is hefty!
Yannis
Relax, he's talking about his max torque. 340 hp at wheel will be quite impressive, though.

Most of these T5s after good ECU upgrade along with other toys all can achieve that figure without much of problem.

He's got 245 whp if I remember correctly.

[This message has been edited by The_one_n_only (edited 03-07-2002).]

#9 ·
quote:

I guess the larger turbo gives a nice torque figure accross the powerband?
Not as harsh at 3500 RPM as my S60?
Keep us updated!
I am not so sure why my car has always been like this. Even before the turbo upgrade, it always drove differently than say..Terrence's EX car, the white 850. I'm driving both cars nowadays, the 850 def. feels more torquey...and it's got that rush like you described. Almost felt like it's faster than my C70, but if you watch the speedo more carefully, you will find out the C70 accelerates much faster and easier. Just like you said, very smooth powerband.

I know I don't even have to downshift to 3rd to accelerate fast when I'm doing 80 mph with 4th.

#12 ·
Hey buddy,

I think I did mention that you need to get bigger injectors a long time ago
So, how's my 850 doing? Really missed that car!! My B4 sucks, been having problems with it for months, unstable boost and engine is running rough (well, still able to kick the butts of a Ferrari 360, 550 and Mondial who were trying to follow me in the twisties
). I think my problem might be the air flow sensor going bad, hopefully will get it fixed soon.

Still waiting for my SYMS rear spoiler so I can install it along with my C-west body kit and my mega expensive Maxim Works stainless steel exhaust manifold. Will post some pics when I get it done. Take care buddy.

#13 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Terence:
Hey buddy,

I think I did mention that you need to get bigger injectors a long time ago
So, how's my 850 doing? Really missed that car!!....
Well well well.....you finally showed up.
Thought you are completely outta this car hobby.
Yeah, we did talk about this before. But you know what THE OTHER GUY said about these injectors being enough for our applications. I'm not exactly sure...since even my dyno appointment was during my work hours, don't really have time to go down there and watch what they were doing. But I'm pretty comfortable with these guys, and it's better to be safe than sorry. I guess I've learned my lesson the hard way once.

Sounds like you are having your share of problems on that car. I would think they should have enough data out there for that car to help you troubleshoot this more easily than a Volvo.

But yeah, do show us some pics when the bodykits and spoilers are on. I actually haven't been browsing around other sites lately to know about those stuff you've mentioned.

Is Kevin still 'carless' nowadays? Or he's got new toy already? I was looking for you to share some gossips...
You've heard that C class flipped over in HK twisties and caught on fire? Hehehe..I'm sure you know who that was. Can you believe he crashed his other car just right before he went back home to crash that C class.

Anywayz, so much to talk about...maybe I'll leave it for next time when I see you online or back in the States. BTW, you still coming back for the exam this summer?

The 850 is doing fine...few 'dings' Hehehe..don't want to get you worried, so no details here. It's running great, when I first barrowed it from my cousin, it felt as if the car was kinda weak at top end. But more I drive it, the faster I felt the car has became.

I guess that Supersprint system did help, but...at the same time chokes the top end by little. You gain some, you lose some.

Not sure when you will have free time again to go online (not even sure how you could get online around this time), but till then....take care. And stop spanking those innocent rich Hong Kong people.

#14 ·
Hey buddy,

Yeah, I have been busy with work and just never really have time to post, but I do come here whenever I am online to see how everyone is doing. And my stupid computer broke down and after I got it fixed, I never got around to install icq yet. Will do that as soon as possible.

I did read on the news regarding our "good" friend and his C-class. My bro and I just can't figure out how he could go straight into that ditch and flipped his car. We do our fair bit of fast driving on that route and there was never any sign of possibility that I can loss control at that spot, not to mention totally outta control and fly into the ditch. So I guess he must be a really bad driver

So you got supersprint system for the 850 too? So must be quite as hell now
Anyway, back to work now, ttyl.

#15 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Terence:
Hey buddy,

Yeah, I have been busy with work and just never really have time to post, but...
Hehe..yeah, not sure how that guy could be so careless, maybe he was really drunk? Don't know..but I will ask my friend when he comes down to MD next week.

Well, the supersprint is from our friend, Mike. The HK guy with the V70 T5M, he just gave it to us when he was trading his car in for the Montero.

Yeah, this dual muffler system a bit too quiet, but more discreet.

So..I'll just see you on icq next time then. My turn to jet...take care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.