SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Update...

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  NJ850N/A 
#1 ·
Arrghhh...

I should never just gave up my boost gauge and the EGT gauge. Now AAM is very careful, and don't want to dial up the boost too high without monitoring the car's status from those two gauges. And I'm too chicken to tell them just crank it up....

So....right now at 14 psi, I'm only getting close to 290 at wheels.
Certainly not happy at all.

I dunno...I just told them to dial it up to 15~16 psi. It should be fine...but still not good enough. Should I just tell them to take it up to 18 psi and da heck with it?

Nah, I still plan to make to both Carlisle this May.
Maybe I should put the gauges when I'm doing my audio upgrade.

This is very disappointing. I might only get barely 300+ at wheels the most this time around w/o the gauges. More upadate later today...

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Kai,

I'm sorry to hear that. I can imagine how dissapointed you are, if I were you, I wouldnt' make any rash decisions, such as, "oh, just crank up the boost". That can cause serious damage, I know you know better than to do that...

Still, 290 at the wheels is nothing to laugh at "hahahahahahahaha 290!!!! for all that money!! roflmao" no, just kidding

Good Luck with your car, man

#4 ·
Not much more info than I wanted, but I just got the words from the shop that after tune the boost up to 15 psi, I got right around 300+/- FWHP.

Not too shabby, but could be better.

Michael,
Yeah..with those gauges in, they can monitor the car a bit more closely and get more HP outta it. So, now I'm waiting for Round 2...have the two gagues installed. They will leave the wiring hanging outside and I will have the gauges mounted in the arm rest when I get the car back.

That's where I stand now....thanks for tuning in.

#6 ·
Kai,

Did you change your IC??
I didn't read about it in the list.
I ran in to trouble with my S60 last week because the IC can't handle the higher boost anymore.
I don't know if the IC of the S60 is better compared to the C70 but this could be the bottleneck.
Still very impressive figures.
Should be around 340-350 engine HP?
You've gained more than 50 HP on semi stock configurations!

#7 ·
Kai,

That's awesome! You have a 300 hp Volvo! And, it still looks almost as innocent as the stock showroom ones! I'm sure John Hennesey wanted 900hp out of the Viper Venom, but he ended up with 800. The point is, you're always gonna want more. There are very few out there with a car like yours, and that is something you should be proud of.

#8 ·
Hey...thanks guys, it means a lot to me for all your support.

Johann: So, what happened to your IC? I'm not sure if the C70 is any better or worse the one on that S60 has, but I know I will be upgrading that later this summer. What do you mean by '50 HP' more than the semi stock configurations?

Yeah, I'm happy that the car is holding up well..and no glitch yet. I just feel if they could have been able to monitor the car a bit more closely, they might be able to get more juice outta that 15 psi.

Let's see what I'll get today. My goal is still at ~350 at wheels roughly...about 400 at the crank. I think with 18 lbs, it should be able to get me there. Dunno...might even try racing fuel for help.

#11 ·
quote:

Originally posted by The_one_n_only:
Hey...thanks guys, it means a lot to me for all your support.

Johann: So, what happened to your IC? I'm not sure if the C70 is any better or worse the one on that S60 has, but I know I will be upgrading that later this summer. What do you mean by '50 HP' more than the semi stock configurations?

Semi stock max is about 300 hp engine.

I was running my car over 22 psi and the result was that the air temp went up real fast.
Your turbo is a lot bigger so maybe your air temp after IC goes up also, just a thought.

#12 ·
Kai listen as you know it takes time to get what you want out of your car. So You might feel dissappointed but realize something we are all impressed at the car..The car is a beast but again its not always how much power you have its how the power is distributed. I feel with you man my C70 never has enough power but when I hit the gas i kind of calm down. Now hitting the gas on my car is different from hitting the car on yours i dont have 300 whp..But whatever your decision dont make a rash one might hurt you in the end just take the time.And good luck and the gas idea always helps too..

#16 ·
Alright....this will not be a very 'complete' update since I was kinda in a hurry when I picked up the car...didn't ask enough questions as I should of done.

Overall, good experience with the AAM guys. Just want to get that outta my chest before I go on in case anything I say might sound like I'm not satisfied with their work. Exceptionally good tuning job, I know I have some good parts to start with, but they were very cautious and courtesy as always. Matt was also there to drop me off to pick up the car. We both had the impression that, they weren't too enthused with this project. That's understandable, T5 engine is not something they have worked with, there are always risks and liabilities. and it could be quite discouraging at times.

I did not get the print out for the dyno session and it's not really something to show off at this point yet. (Don't worry; I will get to the juicy part soon) I mean, you won't hear me complaining 300 FWHP outta 13 psi, but I want more, who wouldn't?

I mean they were at 300 a day before with 15 lbs of boost; this is a very good improvement. Again, very good job at fine tuning the car.

Few reasons they did not push it even more:
First, they did not have a chance to add the fuel pressure regulator. I wanted them to finish the car TODAY and no later. I have set up an appointment to finish my audio upgrades on Monday, so can't really blame them even though they could have tried even harder. But hey...this is just another car to them, they probably didn't really think of this as a big deal project. Can't blame them, if 500+ WHP cars are what my shop does all day long 300 WHP IS just another customer.
This will probably be done next time around. I'll then be more prepared, probably they will have all the components ready, too.
Without that, the car was running a bit lean at 14 psi. If I'm daring enough, I can always try to dial up 14~15 lbs when I run on racing fuel.

I did however, get the gauges installed. They are not the one I thought I was paying for. That is something I'd need to speak to them later b/c in that case, the prices I paid for them weren't that impressive then.

So, there are couple more loose ends to get resolved next week while the car is in the Myer Emco. Dyno graph, gauges discrepancy, and few other minor details.

All in all, it was a job well done. I paid pretty reasonable price for most of everything. I wouldn?t mind paying a little bit more if tuning shops out there can get the job done right like the AAM people. I know some of the stuff may sound like I'm contradicting myself or just mumbling like IT'S-FRIDAY-NITE-AND-I-WANT-TO-GO-OUT. It's just that I got lots mix feelings about the result.

I know it's not completely done, and I can push more..but I also know there are a lot more risk involved when I start dialing up the boost. I don't know..I'll leave the decision for next time when I get the car back from M.E and drive it for awhile to test the reliability.

This time around things got upgraded: 440 cc/min RC Engineering fuel injectors, WALBRO fuel pump, Dastek AFC, and GReddy EGT, boost gauge (I actually thought I was getting the A'PEXi ones).

Aluminum panel, HID, PPI PCX2200, JL 10W7, and some other misc items will be for next week.

[This message has been edited by The_one_n_only (edited 04-13-2002).]

#18 ·
Sounds great kai,
so you think after some tweaking and completing the FPR you'll be able to run around 330ish at 19 psi?

I know it's been a long road for you, but i thing that you're finally sealing this operation up, and getting to the point where you can really enjoy the C70 from hell.

#21 ·
quote:

Originally posted by fhdt5r:
i figured better to do that than say you'd gain 50 and have you retort with : no way man!
And when was the last time I use EA performance gain figures? I've always been conservative. I think I'd retort more when it's too underestimated, but it doesn't really matter anyway.

#22 ·
I know, but remember, you did just gain another, hmm about 16.4 hp at the flywheel from that interior trim kit, had it come from EA though, the magnetic field it would have contained would have bounced signals off your ECU and you would have gained about 40 HP.
No seriously though, with your level of tuning, i have no idea what kind of power you'll get with another 6 psi, but i imagine you can't wait to see!!!!

Take Care,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.