SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

HKS BOV

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  indigo 
#1 ·
Well I've finally saved up enough for a '98 C70 5-speed, but as a poor student I don't have much left over for modifications. I've heard a lot of conflicting reports about how much work it would be to have a HKS BoV installed given the integrated wastegate and all that. Since I know at least a few people on this board have done just that I was wondering how much it cost to have it done, and what they had to modify.

Given my lack of funds I'm thinking I'll go for the IPD package (air filter/ECU/exhaust/brushings) then see if I can find the used intercooler tubing from an older 850 and then the IPD lowering springs and sway bars (i'd love to have bilsteins but that whole lack of funds thing
Anyone got any pointers, or suggestions?

~Ed

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all, welcome to the C70 society~!
Not many of us on this forum, but enough to make a difference.

Regarding the BOV, what are you trying to achieve with this upgrade? There is no gain at all in terms of HP with this mod. And from the description of your plan, it doesn't seem like you would be needing this just yet.

As for the old 850 IC pipe....not worth the effort, I doubt you can tell any difference at all.

#3 ·
I know the feeling; it took me ages to get enough cash together for my convertible and left me with little for modifications.

So far, I've blanked off the standard re-circ valve and added a Bailey's dump valve, a bleed valve and a few turns on the wastegate.

Together, the increased boost makes a good difference and in total the whole lot cost under £100, which I think is around $140.

I got the parts from www.kalmar-union.com Don't know what the mailing costs would be, but I'm sure they are available everywhere.

#4 ·
"Regarding the BOV, what are you trying to achieve with this upgrade? There is no gain at all in terms of HP with this mod. And from the description of your plan, it doesn't seem like you would be needing this just yet."

I know it certainly wouldn't be necessary at the low boost levels I'd be running to start, but I love the sound (yes yes i know, not functional) and there ought to be a slightly increased respool time during shifts and what not correct?

Other than that is IPD the best bang for the buck, or should I find another exhaust/chip combination, which I'm tempted to do because I'm thinking about installing the weapon-r air filter with the RAM air kit...

#5 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Broccoli_of_Doom:
I know it certainly wouldn't be necessary at the low boost levels I'd be running to start, but I love the sound (yes yes i know, not functional) and there ought to be a slightly increased respool time during shifts and what not correct?

I'm thinking about installing the weapon-r air filter with the RAM air kit...
You won't hear that much of sound at all..as for response, maybe just a tad more responsive, but not much.

And what's up with everyone using weapon-r1ce? Is it because it sounds 'cool'? In that case, I will definitely make my weapon Kai.

#6 ·
Weapon Kai? Does that come with the matching windshield logo?
I was also looking at the weapon r dragon filter and ram kit with the heat shield. I want it for performance first, looks and sound second. I hear it will help spool the turbo faster as well as increased airflow. I am a little concerned about it being foam, and how easily it will connect with a C70. They don't even have Volvo listed as a car that will fit a weapon r (on the weapon r site), but I know many people with Volvos have them. I think for all of it, it would be like $290 for the intake pipe, filter, ram air kit and heat shield. Is it worth it? Any opinions?

#7 ·
quote:

Originally posted by c70pusher:
Weapon Kai?
Shouldn't this be "ICE" ? :)

About the BOV.
It DOES make a difference on a 15G turbo running higher boost levels but the aftermarket BOV must be the adjustable type and it's setting should be almost closed.
My friend had very good results on his T5 when it was placed between throttle body and IC.
If you use the standard preset types it doesn't funcion very well.
If you would mount an open airfilter instead of the airbox you can hear the standard recirculation valve inside the compressor almost as loud as a normal BOV.
If you want NOISE use the BLITZ BOV!!
Don't forget that the recirc valve is very efficient.

#8 ·
Well the only reason I'm thinking weapon-r is cause of the handy pre-made ramair kit, with the heat shield and all that the noise factor is prob. cut down a bit I imagine, which I enjoy the sound of a good BOV, intake noise, not so much
The other interesting one would be the kit from Eastern Aerospace (with there great HP estimates :p) that had the fan build into the extended intake hose, that's just quality

#9 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Johann:

It DOES make a difference on a 15G turbo running higher boost levels If you want NOISE use the BLITZ BOV!!
Really?! Do you mean big difference or....you have to be really anal to feel it kinda difference? I guess I'm just too thickheaded to notice any difference. Plus, I can't really make good judgement with the setup I have now.

Noise from Blitz? You think?! Hmm...again thickheaded syndrome.
Or I just take everything for granted.

#11 ·
quote:

Originally posted by The_one_n_only:
Really?! Do you mean big difference or....you have to be really anal to feel it kinda difference? I guess I'm just too thickheaded to notice any difference. Plus, I can't really make good judgement with the setup I have now.

Noise from Blitz? You think?! Hmm...again thickheaded syndrome.
Or I just take everything for granted.
We had 2 850's side by side last week.
One used a TD04HL-18T with 300/70 wastegate and a 3" downpipe, the other (the flaming one) a TD04HL-15G stock with 2,5" downpipe and the supplemental BOV.
Both had standard airbox with sports filter and both had the "short plumbing" early style IC setup.
Altough I expected the 15G to be quicker off the line I also expected the 18T to catch up and get stronger but both were even to a lot of people's surprise.
The 15G setup has absolutely no lag whatsover, nothing. It jumps after shifting!
I assume that the 15G recirculation valve's capacity is just sufficient for standard boost and after that it causes backpressure (surge ?)
Of course there is also the ECU which counts.

[This message has been edited by Johann (edited 04-20-2002).]

#13 ·
quote:

Maybe anal, I don't know :)
I think so...or I just seriously take everything for granted. Or maybe you guys just have a lot faster cars than I do..........

I still think my car is only reasonable, so I doubt I'd appreciate or notice any of those performance gains that others are talking about.

#14 ·
quote:

I think so...or I just seriously take everything for granted. Or maybe you guys just have a lot faster cars than I do..........

I still think my car is only reasonable, so I doubt I'd appreciate or notice any of those performance gains that others are talking about.
Well, I think we are missing 50 WHP or so compared to your car :)
Maybe when you reach that high those small adjustment do not get noticed anymore?
My experience with the BOV on the 850 was that it made the car a lot more responsive but I don't think that it really brought any HP gain in a severe manner if that is what you mean.
On the S60 however there is so much electronics and the stupid plastic tubing like you see on the picture that there wasn't any difference noticed except for the sound.
It was also very difficult to get a good setting.
We had a discussion about this with a few people a few weeks ago and we were thinking that it just might be good luck that the 850 had a good combination of parts to get to this performance.
According the "experts" it shouldn't run that fast :)

#15 ·
quote:

Maybe when you reach that high those small adjustment do not get noticed anymore?
On the S60 however there is so much electronics and the stupid plastic tubing like you see on the picture that there wasn't any difference noticed except for the sound.
Well, I guess there might have been some improvement with the BOV when I had only the rebuilt 16T...but only barely noticeable during harsh driving(fast shifting during hard acceleration).

Can't the S60 owners just get a steel pipe fabricated to replace that plastic piece?

#16 ·
quote:

Can't the S60 owners just get a steel pipe fabricated to replace that plastic piece?
Of course it could be possible with some effort.
The biggest issue is the super dumb way Volvo made the intake temp and pressure sensor in there.
I don't think it is worth the effort.

#17 ·
to go back a bit: "What is ram air? How about just your regular K&N? A lot cheaper I think....isn't it?"

the RAMAIR kit is just a heat shield around the cone filter connected to a tube the runs to anywhere there's open air coming in the front of the car, (like the grill or if you're really motivated a hood scoop like eareo sells). When you are at higher speeds the air is forced into the intake providing more hp gains in theory at least.

#18 ·
"My experience with the BOV on the 850 was that it made the car a lot more responsive but I don't think that it really brought any HP gain in a severe manner if that is what you mean."

The responsiveness is the real reason I'm looking at the BOV in the first place for the C70, How much would it cost to have it installed, figure 200 for the BOV, how much to fabricate the installation and all that?

#19 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Broccoli_of_Doom:

The responsiveness is the real reason I'm looking at the BOV in the first place for the C70, How much would it cost to have it installed, figure 200 for the BOV, how much to fabricate the installation and all that?
Then you have to make sure your stock bypass valve is inactive.
To weld alumn. flange is about $50 the most (that is if you can't find alumn flange for the BOV), and installation is free....YOU CAN DO IT.

#20 ·
quote:

When you are at higher speeds the air is forced into the intake providing more hp gains in theory at least.
Ram Air is a method used to pressurise the Intake Manifold.

I'm no pro, so don't take my word as law, but lets look at the logic here:

1> Ram Air is generally used to pressurize incoming air on N/A vehicles.

2> Turbos are another way to pressurize incoming air on N/A vehicles.

3> Turbo'ed cars are equipped with waste-gates to make sure the incomming air pressure does not exceed a certain PSI.

4> So we could assume that at RPMs in which the turbo is active, the waste-gate is active, in which case the Ram Air effect is negated as any excess pressure added to the system is bled off through the wastegate.

So... there's a few things a Ram Air system *might* do for a Turbocharged engine:

1> It might help you at high-speeds, low-RPMs. My C70 runs around 2700RPM @ 65MPH IIRC, so I believe the turbo should already be spooled up. I could be wrong on this... it seems like it actually kicks in around 3000RPM, but I think the specs say the Torque peak is around 2500RPM, which makes me think the turbo must be active at that engine speed...

2> The slightly pre-compressed air, means the turbo has to work that much less, and may help it gain higher efficiency WRT parasitic exhaust losses.

So I really think that on a turbocharged car, Ram Air is just a buzz-word, and only *may* help with those last few hp at the limit of modifying your car, but is not a very effective starting point...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.