SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Turbo Lag?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  GShyneDM 
#1 ·
i heard there was a turbo lag in the High Pressure Turbos...

i felt a little slight boost once i got to 3000 rpm. and then it felt like the turbos were really kicking in...

is there a way to fix this? its kinda rough... i'm planning on getting a K&N filter.. perhaps better aspiration will help?

to upgrade the ECU is freaggin expensive!! eep! almost a thousand. but the HP gains are sweet.

whats the cheapest way to fix that turbo lag, without much work? thanks

#2 ·
K&N might help a little bit. Try to get some free flow exhaust system first, they are a bit cheaper than ECU upgrade.
Maybe throttle body upgrade? But not sure if you have everything else stock this will help that much.

Now...I don't want to warn people about prices for doing any upgrade now, I was just incriminated earlier that some thought the way I tell people HP costs money was actually telling others they can't afford upgrades except I could.
So, maybe I'll keep all my advices regarding these topics through private emails so others won't start making assumptions again.

#3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by The_one_n_only:
K&N might help a little bit. Try to get some free flow exhaust system first, they are a bit cheaper than ECU upgrade.
Maybe throttle body upgrade? But not sure if you have everything else stock this will help that much.

So, maybe I'll keep all my advices regarding these topics through private emails so others won't start making assumptions again.
well definitely i am getting the K&N... not so sure i want to change the whole exhaust.. seems like a pretty big job. Did you notice it when you got your car? its not AS noticeable if you are doing hard acelleration, but like pulling in and out of places or whatnot.. it seems to be pretty jumpy going up and down the 3000rpm area... (note, mine is auto trans)

and if email is the way to go for better advice.. i guess thats where i'll go

[This message has been edited by GShyneDM (edited 05-11-2002).]

#4 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GShyneDM:

well definitely i am getting the K&N... not so sure i want to change the whole exhaust.. seems like a pretty big job. Did you notice it when you got your car? its not AS noticeable if you are doing hard acelleration, but like pulling in and out of places or whatnot.. it seems to be pretty jumpy going up and down the 3000rpm area... (note, mine is auto trans)

and if email is the way to go for better advice.. i guess thats where i'll go

[This message has been edited by GShyneDM (edited 05-11-2002).]
I am not sure K&N will help but it is worth a try. In my car it has done diddly. Perhaps a little of help in top end. Turbo lag is a fact of life on engines equipeed with single High-Pressure turbochargers but if you know how to drive and are always aware of what gear you are using you can minimize the ill effects of turbo lag. Having a manual transmission is a help too.

As Kai suggested, a high-flow exhaust system will probably help a bit (at the expense of noise). And if you upgrade your entire exhaust system then...you would definitely reduce your lag.

But for now, find out when exactly your turbo kicks in (probably at a tad over 2,000 rpm) and keep the RPM at that point or above. With my car it is easy as it is manual and it does have a bit of a "whine" so it reminds me when it starts spooling up.

Yannis

#5 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:

I am not sure K&N will help but it is worth a try. In my car it has done diddly. Perhaps a little of help in top end. Turbo lag is a fact of life on engines equipeed with single High-Pressure turbochargers but if you know how to drive and are always aware of what gear you are using you can minimize the ill effects of turbo lag. Having a manual transmission is a help too.

As Kai suggested, a high-flow exhaust system will probably help a bit (at the expense of noise). And if you upgrade your entire exhaust system then...you would definitely reduce your lag.

But for now, find out when exactly your turbo kicks in (probably at a tad over 2,000 rpm) and keep the RPM at that point or above. With my car it is easy as it is manual and it does have a bit of a "whine" so it reminds me when it starts spooling up.

Yannis

wow.. sounds like a lot of work. mine is automatic..and i will try and tell exactly when it kicks in. i was hoping for some easy fixes :p hehehe as a student i dont have much MOD money
and thinking of parts and labor costs is going to cost me a bit.. i might stay away from it for now and live with the jults... perhaps a switch to synthetic oil? Bosch Platnum +4's? hahaha doubt they will really do much either.

the ECU is expensive.. but LOOKS like a simple plug in and plug out... :p how difficult is it really??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.